• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No one knows. Only the console versions have leaked early, since the PC version is, I believe, tied to Steam and can't be played until Tuesday.

Someone said the IGN video was the PC version, but I don't recall seeing anything that said as much.. I assumed it was the X360 version, since they were using a controller.

Okay. Thanks for the answer.

Mlatador

Banned
Some people here say they've finished it in 5 hours (and are pretty dissapointed). My god, this game has been in development for what... 5 years? Dat AAA develpment...

Goldmund

Somebody has already made this observation, but: yes, what I've seen of the gameplay it looks more like a fly-swatting-simulator. I know they drop likes flies in the movie Aliens, too. But they could have made the aliens really tough, with cunning AI and reduce their numbers, and this game would have been very, very interesting. The game's atmosphere seems pretty spot on, but once the aliens actually appear, it's destroyed.

Stitch

Gold Member
Someone said the IGN video was the PC version, but I don't recall seeing anything that said as much.. I assumed it was the X360 version, since they were using a controller.
Uuh you can play PC games with a controller. And they were unlocking Steam Achievements on the IGN Stream.

First thing I said to my friend. All the stuff that happens is based on this situation where a marine blows himself up for no reason. Sure he's getting chestbursted...but the first instinct is to kill yourself and your friends. Smart.

I finished the game last night.

Final Score
6/10

Anything that was promised from Gearbox regarding preservation of story, character, or gameplay is not present in A:CM. The E3 2011 demo is a different (perhaps better) game. The final 2013 release of the game is an unpolished buggy mess and a completely average COD clone. There's literally nothing special about the whole game. The best mission of the entire 5 hour playtime is when you don't have a gun. Also, the game should be titled 'Colonial Marines with Aliens' as your battle is never truly about fighting the creatures, as it's battling the corperation and getting revenge. The Aliens just get in the way of this.

After the final laughable cutscene rolls, the first thing I said was, "Oh god no more. Just leave the movie alone."

So this is on par with...
DMC2
?

Jedi2016

Uuh you can play PC games with a controller. And they were unlocking Steam Achievements on the IGN Stream.
Yes, I know you can play PC games with a controller. I'm not an idiot. But anyone who buys a PC shooter and then uses a controller is, IMO.

I didn't realize they had it on Steam. I didn't watch through the entire video, since I'd rather not see the entire game before I get a chance to play it myself, and they didn't mention it outright in the first few minutes (which is a notable omission, I'd point out, that the "journalist" didn't bother asking "Hey, which version of the game is this?" for the benefit of the audience).

I wouldn't use a live stream as a good judge of the visuals, though. Not exactly a bit-for-bit capture. And this wouldn't be the first time a company has turned the PC options down to console levels for a demo to avoid hurting their first-day sales. I'm not saying that's happened here, but I'm holding off judgement until I actually see the game for myself next week. Besides, you know the PC Screenshot thread will be full of this game on Tuesday and Wednesday.

JaxJag

Banned
When did Colonial Marines first get announced? Like in 2009, right? I wonder if at some point it got put on hold, had funding cut, or just a troubled development.

VashTS

That's sad, I remember a Gearbox rep saying that they were supporting DX11 a while ago. I guess those plans fell through.

aegies

That's sad, I remember a Gearbox rep saying that they were supporting DX11 a while ago. I guess those plans fell through.

nReh_lYvq0WTMu4Z-UpVrGpQV2bP5GC6gu_AYj1Jxhc

Once again thank you GAF. I was planning on snatching this up next week on payday. As a huge fan of the franchise I wanted and prayed for this to be good. But I am avoiding this like ebola.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Okay so yea, this game is poo. I knew that was the likely case 2 years ago or something lol. Will still get it, god help me Y_Y
If I, the biggest Aliens nerd ever, can avoid it, you can too. Demand better! I hate rewarding companies for releasing shit.

Mr Scrufff

Neo Member
I am afraid the core shooting mechanics and enemy AI (Gearbox seems incapable of doing AI well in any of their games) are not going to be very good. This is my chief worry. Also, heavy scripting.

WHY

THE HELL

WOULD AN ALIENS GAME

BE SURVIVAL HORROR?

OR DEAD SPACE FOR THAT MATTER?

These capital letters express my confusion.

I can definitely understand your confusion, it must be a common occurrence for you. All I said was that it was scarier than Dead Space at parts. I didn't say it was a survival horror, I didn't say it was dead space. I can tell you are very confused.

EagleEyes

If I, the biggest Aliens nerd ever, can avoid it, you can too. Demand better! I hate rewarding companies for releasing shit.
You haven't avoided it yet. Just wait till its sitting on that store shelf telling you "Hey Ollie Pooch, buy me, I know you want to" in that sexy Ripley voice. You won't be able to resist.

Mr Scrufff

Neo Member
I've played the first six missions, and I like it. Just wait until the price drops after a month or two down to like $20 and pick it up.

Ollie Pooch

You haven't avoided it yet. Just wait till its sitting on that store shelf telling you "Hey Ollie Pooch, buy me, I know you want to" in that sexy Ripley voice. You won't be able to resist.
LOL.

I'll wait til it's in a bargain bin for 12 bucks with a trashy hooker voice.

All that non-purchasing will only say there's no market for a game based on Alien IP.

Investments are too high for an exec to say "yeah, that $40 million we spent won't get a profitable return because the game wasn't good, so this time we'll invest $50m on the same IP for a sequel!"

Nope. It'll just go away. Demand better? Lol, get ready for the kickstarter campaign then.

bryanee

Well after doing missions 3 and 4 I can safely say I'm enjoying it. Loved the fourth mission.

Having some matchmaking issues on multi at the moment, takes forever to do anything.

Ollie Pooch

All that non-purchasing will only say there's no market for a game based on Alien IP.

Investments are too high for an exec to say "yeah, that $40 million we spent won't get a profitable return because the game wasn't good, so this time we'll invest $50m on the same IP for a sequel!"

Nope. It'll just go away. Demand better? Lol, get ready for the kickstarter campaign then.
I didn't mean literally demand better as in " we want another game, do it again!"

I was responding to the "I know this is shit but i want it anyway" ie rewarding a bad product due to nostalgia/brand.

That said, I will probably pick this up when it's (far) cheaper.

AHA-Lambda

So we should support bad products just because of the future potential of the IP?
No, bad products don't deserve success regardless of branding.

And purchasing it will say there's a market for crap games as long as they're attached to a decent license.

That's the attitude that resulted in those SEGA/Marvel games.

I'd rather someone see the light like WB/Rocksteady did in order to finally sort out Batman after a bunch of bad Batman games had already been released.

jdl

Banned

And the days of half-baked franchise cash-ins will end? But how will we pass the time?

bryanee

From what I've played I dont think the game is by any means bad, maybe not brilliant but nothing so far screams bad except the screen tearing on occasion. If its keep this up it'll be a solid 7/10 for me maybe a little higher. The multiplayer is good fun aswell.

Looking forward to doing co-op.

AHA-Lambda

First thing I said to my friend. All the stuff that happens is based on this situation where a marine blows himself up for no reason. Sure he's getting chestbursted...but the first instinct is to kill yourself and your friends. Smart.

I finished the game last night.

Final Score
6/10

Anything that was promised from Gearbox regarding preservation of story, character, or gameplay is not present in A:CM. The E3 2011 demo is a different (perhaps better) game. The final 2013 release of the game is an unpolished buggy mess and a completely average COD clone. There's literally nothing special about the whole game. The best mission of the entire 5 hour playtime is when you don't have a gun. Also, the game should be titled 'Colonial Marines with Aliens' as your battle is never truly about fighting the creatures, as it's battling the corperation and getting revenge. The Aliens just get in the way of this.

After the final laughable cutscene rolls, the first thing I said was, "Oh god no more. Just leave the movie alone."

So it's not even worth it for the story? That's the only thing left that has this on my radar at all now, as it's apparently the sequel to Aliens. Then again is it really any more significant than any other piece of EU Aliens fiction?

Only 5hrs long? For reals? Really?

I was really looking forward to playing this but this is just so disappointing. :(

It's a $60 AAA FPS, I'd be surprised if it wasn't 5 hours long.

So we should support bad products just because of the future potential of the IP?
No, bad products don't deserve success regardless of branding.

Jesus I wasn't making a value judgment or saying anyone should buy anything. Cheeeel win-ston.

But to think that "I'm not buying this game because that'll show them I want a different version of it!" Doesn't work. That's all.

Same goes for DmC, etc etc.

I love the free market, bad products don't deserve to succeed.

And btw I'm not willing to say that based on a couple videos and a review from Gies that this game isn't worth playing. People who are playing it seem to say that it's 6-7ish, and that could be good enough for me and many others.

But do what you want with your money, of course.

bryanee

It highlights the easiest option when going into a new game so make sure to choose a higher difficulty.

persongr

That's still pretty short. I was hoping for at least 10 hrs since it was in development for half a decade.

No way, I could rush it even more but i got bored in missions 8-9 and started dying repeatedly for no serious reason.

Game's highlight is definitely Mission 5 (Raven) and Mission 10. The final boss, if it can considered as one, is laughable, and about the story, I don't know, besides Alien I haven't watched any other film in the franchise.

What really bothered me though is how the game handles the Aliens. I understand that it wasn't supposed to be a survival game, but the encounters with them are terrible. Only at a few instances the game becomes a claustrophobic experience, mostly you will encounter Xenos as you would in a horde mode match.

(spoilers about the humans you shoot in the game)

Also, CM is completely unsophisticated when comes to the relationship of the marines and the Wey-Yu PMCs. It completely ignores the morality issues arising, and instead of hiding this blank with the fear and desperation caused by Aliens, Gearbox chose incorporate all the dudebrotherism they learned from Border 1/2. No marine left behind!

Besides that, I found the gameplay in general to be dull and with no fine mechanisms. It isn't tremendously bad though - if it was released in 2007 it could actually be considered really good. As for the multiplayer, I will try it after the European release.

Mr Scrufff

Neo Member
Well after doing missions 3 and 4 I can safely say I'm enjoying it. Loved the fourth mission.

Having some matchmaking issues on multi at the moment, takes forever to do anything.

Haha, you think the issues may be because the game isn't out yet?

So since we know single player is fairly short then how is the multi is it an any way a saving grace....

Keep in mind I suffered through ORC because I had friends who had the title.

DocSeuss

Watching footage.

Why the hell is the gun that big? It gobbles up screen space.

I can definitely understand your confusion, it must be a common occurrence for you. All I said was that it was scarier than Dead Space at parts. I didn't say it was a survival horror, I didn't say it was dead space. I can tell you are very confused.

My confusion was based more on your grammar than anything else.

Top Bottom