• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Darvan

No one knows. Only the console versions have leaked early, since the PC version is, I believe, tied to Steam and can't be played until Tuesday.

Someone said the IGN video was the PC version, but I don't recall seeing anything that said as much.. I assumed it was the X360 version, since they were using a controller.

I don't know if someone answered this but Yes on the IGN stream it was indeed the PC version I don't have the time marker but at a certain point they unlocked a stream achievement that was displayed in the top right hand of the screen. They where using a 360 wired controller to play the game.

DocSeuss

Watching the footage a bit more, and it seems like the main problem with the Xenos is that they're extremely sluggish. They kinda move up to the player, then melee. It's very reminiscent of Borderlands melee AI. They should be dashing up, attacking, and then running away really quickly, a la AvP2. These guys aren't lightning fast, though that might be a limitation imposed by controllers.

Pretty much everything original they've done outside of Borderlands has been mediocre at best. They should branch out from FPSes.

This may sound a bit controversial, but I think Borderlands is mediocre as well, at least in terms of actual shooter gameplay. They're really weak in the basic weapons and AI departments. Even Borderlands has bad gunplay and bad AI--the weak diablolike gameplay helps disguise it.

DaBuddaDa

This may sound a bit controversial, but I think Borderlands is mediocre as well, at least in terms of actual shooter gameplay. They're really weak in the basic weapons and AI departments. Even Borderlands has bad gunplay and bad AI--the weak diablolike gameplay helps disguise it.

I agree more or less. Borderlands is good in spite of the gunplay. Their other shooters fail in the same regard, but don't have the open world and gun loot to compensate, which is why I think they should try something that isn't a shooter. They may be better at other things but are fixated on first person shooters for some reason, and fail at them consistently.

How are you actually supposed to make a game based on the Aliens franchise and not make it dull in the end? If you try to add variety by adding different types of Xenos people will complain, and since good FPS-gameplay comes from dynamic battles, it's instantly impossible to make the game an engaging one.

Maybe an Alien-game by Telltale would be cool, but for now I'm okay with anything as long as it has Aliens in it, because I'm a sucker.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
How are you actually supposed to make a game based on the Aliens franchise and not make it dull in the end? If you try to add variety by adding different types of Xenos people will complain, and since good FPS-gameplay comes from dynamic battles, it's instantly impossible to make the game an engaging one.

Maybe an Alien-game by Telltale would be cool, but for now I'm okay with anything as long as it has Aliens in it, because I'm a sucker.
I always thought the squad/siege sort of gameplay hinted at a few years back could have been really awesome, tense and scary. This just sounds like CoD with pulse rifle noises and Aliens.

persongr

I actually believe that the ideas behind CM could produce a really good Aliens game!

I would have no problem shooting people in dark but familiar environments (something, which CM executes well), but in my scenario, I'd have Xenos being the element of utter terror.

Being stuck in a poorly lighten labyrinth with dangerous militia? Why not put a Xeno hunting you in there and make it terrifying? CM tries to do that at some point, but it ends up falling flat.

I think the above would please the fans, and make a good game, given of course a good production. It should not be that hard.

Spoo

I'm still pretty excited to get my hands on this. I plan to play it on the highest difficulty with a friend, and really just want to shoot a bunch of aliens. I don't mind that it plays closer to a ~2007 FPS, because I liked those FPS betters. Case in point, I thought DNF was a good game for being a little less new school and more old school. If that's the case here, no complaints.

eshwaaz

Completely agree. All they've ever made are FPSs, yet they're still not particularly good at it. I'll never understand the reverence some people have for Gearbox.

Mr Scrufff

Neo Member
I see a lot of people with early copies here. Has anyone played it online yet without getting banned? I have it and I really want to try the multiplayer now that I have finished the campaign.

sarcoa

I see a lot of people with early copies here. Has anyone played it online yet without getting banned? I have it and I really want to try the multiplayer now that I have finished the campaign.
Played online all day without any fallout. I'm press but as far as I know my gamertag isn't on any list.

Yeah, Borderlands isn't fun because of its core shooting, it's everything built up around that gameplay. Strip out the unique visuals and loot and weapon effects and it becomes a pretty bog-standard shooting gallery. I'm not surprised that this game feels weak.

Ollie Pooch

Completely agree. All they've ever made are FPSs, yet they're still not particularly good at it. I'll never understand the reverence some people have for Gearbox.
Clap trap is also the worst and most irritating gaming character of all time - he's Jar Jar levels. Enjoyed BL1 though, played coop with my mate in HK. Was fun.

bryanee

I've played it for about two hours online, no issues. I'm not press.

Pretty much everything original they've done outside of Borderlands has been mediocre at best. They should branch out from FPSes.

It's the genuinely decent art design that lends borderlands a "AAA" veneer.

The actual game sucks i thought. Bad shooting locked behind bulletsponge enemies and flimsy RPG elements. Endless fetch quests, and a spastic story and character ensemble that makes Bulletstorm look witty and clever.

Look not going to lie. GAF is known for this. Try not to let it bother you. Anything that reeks of lacking in quality in areas, get's the shit beat out of it. Hell even games that have huge production values like Dead Space 3 recently, get some of the same treatment. It just happens. I'm one of the people around these parts that enjoy games even with their issues, but I still discuss them. I can clearly see the game is dated, but still excited to play, and I know it probably won't blow me away, I don't expect it to. I just know I want to partake in this sequel to Aliens and kill some Xenomorphs. Simple as that. Some would say I'm settling for less. I say, I get what I get. I'd rather play it and make my own thoughts then not at all.

Thats the main problem with "hardcore" gamers. Expectations are so high it's ridiculous. Thats why i am glad they represent a small niche.

As a big Aliens fan here, I'm just hoping this game is good for me. I'm not worried about it not being great, just as long as it's not a bad game. Mixed reviews aside, still looking forward to it all, especially since it expands on CM stuff after Ripley's death.

Ended up getting this on Greenmangaming for 37.49 as my friend lent me the money to play with him. Hoping with some friends It'll still be a good time and that some of the extra multiplayer modes will be a blast.

Shame the PC port doesn't seem to have added all that much but with 60 FPS and 1080+ I'm sure It'll be a massive jump just based on that. The graphics for the 360 version didn't seem all that awful to me, certainly not to the early gen comparisons some people were throwing out.

Anyone spent time with some of the non story based modes?

It's the genuinely decent art design that lends borderlands a "AAA" veneer.

The actual game sucks i thought. Bad shooting locked behind bulletsponge enemies and flimsy RPG elements. Endless fetch quests, and a spastic story and character ensemble that makes Bulletstorm look witty and clever.

Wow, people actually agreeing that Borderlands sucks as a video game. I thought I'd seen it all.

And I completely agree! I really, really hate Borderlands. Not trying to bash those who do like it or anything of that sort. I just can't stand it. It's everything that you mentioned and also the terribly bland worlds. I took to calling it Boringlands or Boredomlands a while back. Original, I know.

Sojgat

How the fuck did this thing get released?

I got the game this morning (Sunday in Australia), after having hyped myself up by watching the movie. I've played the first 5 chapters, and roughly an hour of MP TDM, both of which were awful.

First of all, the "brightness" seems to also control contrast, so that there is absolutely no sweet spot for the visuals, the game just always looks washed out/over bright (pretty sure there's also some weird shit going on with the gamma, specific to the MP modes). Second, the game tears like a motherfucker. I'm playing on 360, and I haven't seen tearing this bad in a long time (even Dragon's Dogma is better). It's the kind that tears on the geometry, so the whole screen looks like it's constantly flickering. Third, the controls are stiff, and the aim acceleration just feels wrong. It's best comparable to Duke Nukem Forever. So, really sluggish, and the weapons feedback is awful, like firing pellet guns.

The tone of the game doesn't fit the story they're trying to tell either. It's like COD, crossed with Borderlands 2, pretending to be a James Cameron movie. The sound effects are universally pretty great, but the music gets overbearing very quickly. Also, the AI is a travesty. The campaign experience might really benefit from playing co-op, but I haven't tried that yet.

Overall, even if Colonial Marines had been a 360 launch title, it would've still been the worst FPS option available. Yes, I haven't finished it yet, so it might get better, but I doubt it. I know people on the internet don't respond well to being told what to do, but seriously, do not buy this game.

antitrop

Yes, I haven't finished it yet, so it might get better, but I doubt it. I know people on the internet don't respond well to being told what to do, but seriously, do not buy this game.
People love to be told this if it confirms their preconceptions.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thats the main problem with "hardcore" gamers. Expectations are so high it's ridiculous. Thats why i am glad they represent a small niche.

Expectations are so high because there's so much competition. You can get the best games of this generation for <$10. There are literally thousands of amazing games out there. Even if you have narrow taste, there are hundreds of amazing games you'd love out there. Even within the Alien franchise, there are some pretty great games! Most of us here have huge backlogs of amazing games. And that's without even taking into account the time pressure being put on gamers from multiplayer components, MMOs, or arcade/score attack/replay type games.

Like, I play a lot of games. Normally around 50-75 a year. And I've only played half of GAF's top 20 last year, if that. Every single game on that list is sub-$60, many of them are sub-$10... On top of my 360 right now, I have Sleeping Dogs, Dishonoured, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Epic Mickey 2, Neverdead, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, LA Noire... all unfinished, all from the last year and a half, and that's just a tiny fraction of my backlog for just the 360. God only knows how many amazing games I have backlogged on Steam.

So when someone puts out the 10th game in a franchise, and it's the 287th FPS on the platform, and it's 5 hours long, and it's $60, and it's apparently (I don't know yet, I'm not crazy enough to pay $60 on this) not very good... yeah, people are going to react poorly. It's not to say you can't have fun with this game or anything, but it's only natural that if you put it in a comparative context, it's going to suffer.

Simply by not having aliens in it... For a long time. You build up the suspense, something like "the thing". Then an alien finally shows up. You spend a few hours trying to survive and kill it. A few more show up, you start to fight back. Then by the end it is all action as you enter a hive or whatever and shit gets crazy.

And if you think nobody would make a game where nothing happens for a couple of hours remember Borderlands. That was like 100 hours of it.

Or they could just license the Dead Space engine and reskin Dead Space 1.

How are you actually supposed to make a game based on the Aliens franchise and not make it dull in the end?
You call it "Aliens: Colonial Marines" or "Aliens: Colonial Marine Corps" and focus on the Marines themselves. You have them take part in other operations (against humans, other alien species, etc.), and then you bring in the Sulaco and LV-426 as the final act.

Doing it this way you can make the Xenomorphs as deadly and scary as you like because you don't have to worry about difficulty curves. You build the Marines up in the previous Acts, showing how awesome and well equipped they are and how nothing phases then. Then you bring in the Xenomorphs and show everything turning to shit.

Give it AAA graphics and polish and I would buy three copies of that damn game.

jdl

Banned
Simply by not having aliens in it... For a long time. You build up the suspense, something like "the thing". Then an alien finally shows up.

Even most horror games throw the first bad guy at you within an hour. I would totally go for a game willing to try a long, drawn out build up, but that's probably not going to happen outside of the indie scene.

Im going to buy this tomorrow. Please tell me its not as bad as everyone says it is.

Im basically buying it for the sounds of the pulse rifle.

It's sad. Tons of great ideas for an Aliens game, including the original siege and dynamic AI concept we read about in Game Informer, and in the end, Gearbox chose the most generic one possible.

Maybe because it was the easiest thing to do.

Im going to buy this tomorrow. Please tell me its not as bad as everyone says it is.

Im basically buying it for the sounds of the pulse rifle.

Fingers crossed for sure, seems like a lot of people are playing it on the consoles which seem to have some porting issues so hopefully the PC version is a bit more stable. The IGN video of the PC release was terrible quality and compressed all to hell so I don't think It's really a good marker for visual quality.

Shame they made the aliens third person only in multiplayer mode outside of vents, they mention they did it to prevent disorientation as a lot of people couldn't get into it in AVP but I always found it a really cool system. First person mobility isn't done nearly enough.

Ollie Pooch

It's sad. Tons of great ideas for an Aliens game, including the original siege and dynamic AI concept we read about in Game Informer, and in the end, Gearbox chose the most generic one possible.

Maybe because it was the easiest thing to do.
I'd say it's far more likely Sega told them to go the route they did.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Havent played the game yet, but it should be instant death if a xenomorph grabs you. It has claws, a sharp tail, is extremely strong and fast, and of course has the head bite. No homosapien should stand a chance when it comes to hand-to-hand melee. Closest thing was in Alien 3 when the black religious guy wresled it for like 10 seconds.

Ollie Pooch

Why do you think Sega told them to do it? Because they thought this would appeal to the broadest group of people possible?
I've no idea if they did! Just speculating.
Just cos they seemed super enthusiastic about that squad-based concept, then it went quiet for ages and came back as a pretty standard FPS/CoD-style game.

I've no idea if they did! Just speculating.
Just cos they seemed super enthusiastic about that squad-based concept, then it went quiet for ages and came back as a pretty standard FPS/CoD-style game.

Oh, I know. I was just asking for your thoughts on why you thought Sega did that (not the act of them doing it, but the reason they instructed Gearbox to change it).

Ollie Pooch

You only have Aliens to contend with, I am an Aliens and SEGA nerd ._.
Yeah, I love Sega's stuff too, I scratched that itch with Sonic Racing (which is excellent, by the way).
Oh, I know. I was just asking for your thoughts on why you thought Sega did that (not the act of them doing it, but the reason they instructed Gearbox to change it).
Ah, sorry. Yeah I figured they might think a CoD style shooter would be easier to sell. Who knows :(

I think it was probably a factor of that and a bit of the old bioshock infinite "oh shit we can't actually make the game we wanted without spending another five years on it" so they just churned out a generic shooter and called it a day.

I think it was probably a factor of that and a bit of the old bioshock infinite "oh shit we can't actually make the game we wanted without spending another five years on it" so they just churned out a generic shooter and called it a day.

Woah, woah, WOAH!

Is BioShock Infinite a generic shooter now? I hope not.

pants

Yeah, I love Sega's stuff too, I scratched that itch with Sonic Racing (which is excellent, by the way).
Sonic Racing, Anarchy Reigns, Football Manager 13 (oh god my life) here and still feel the itch. I enjoyed Alien Trilogy back in the day, which wasnt a particularly good game so I'm sure I will get at least some joy out of this

Does anyone know the quality of the statue?

I think I am probably going to cancel my 2 PS3 CE preorders, eventhough it breaks my heart to do so :(

madmackem

They still made Borderlands 1/2. Though it seems a little more clear where the effort went when you look at A:CM.

Ohh yeah im a huge fan of the bl games huge, he had me wanting dnf with his talks before the game came out and had me pretty excited for acm too in the sort of way peter does with his games.

Top Bottom