• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

God, this is kind of crushing as an Aliens fan. I've been waiting for a dedicated Aliens game to coop with my brother since we were kids, watching Aliens in my parents basement. We had been waiting for this game for almost seven years now.

I really feel like Gearbox deserves to crumble for this as a developer. Between this and Duke, they've singled handedly wrecked great opportunities for two wonderful franchises - they shouldn't just walk away from this cuz people keep buying borderlands DLC.

Kinda not possible to do anymore i guess.

But WAAAAAY back in the day, there was a mod for AvP2 that allowed coop campaign :)

Shit was a bit buggy, but epic as fuck.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I remember during the E3 bombcasts they had some Gearbox guys on and i vaguely remember there being some hinting that this game wouldnt be good and then the Gearbox guy backpedaled and was like 'no but it'll be good things are going good over on that team' or something along those lines.

H2Yo

I've never seen this from any other developer, a willingness to ship out a complete disaster of a product

Oh I have, Obsidian are guilty for this on countless occasions. I still remember when I bought New Vegas, I played about 15 hours and then my saves wouldn't load. A message about missing DLC when there was no fucking DLC out for the game.

Oh I have, Obsidian are guilty for this on countless occasions. I still remember when I bought New Vegas, I played about 15 hours and then my saves wouldn't load. A message about missing DLC when there was no fucking DLC out for the game.

I suppose but at least people loved the core gameplay experience from NV.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
He gets better.
Yeah, i was just being a dick :p
Worse.
Apparently he stuffs another body into cryosleep, abandoning Ripley and Newt. Cuz yeah, that's exactly what that character would do.

Fuck Gearbox.
This is so, so awesome. There's something darkly, horribly hilarious about him doing that then Ripley and Newt are subsequently jettisoned onto a hostile male-only prison planet resulting in Newt's death. And somehow Gearbox thought it was a reasonable story inclusion.

derExperte

Michael Biehn? But I thought Hicks died in the EEV crash in Alien 3!

It's Zombiehicks. At least his voice sounds like it, I hope Biehn got a solid paycheck so something good came out of this.

I still don't know what's worse, the core gameplay with the laughable AI or all the little bugs. I just had some enemies spawn in front of me and jumping two meters up in the air, flying all over the place. It feels like there's something like this every minute, way too bad to ever patch everything. And what's with the ending?
We've got everything we wanted? That's it? And why exactly was Hicks even in the story?

Bombless

So given the terrible scores I'm guessing the A : CM party didn't go that well? Or did they not send the invitations to the right people?

I watched LevelCap play the first levels (until you get the smart gun) and I can definitely see what they were trying to do. The music is fantastic but the scripting is just terrible (the pacifist run is pure hilarity)

I particularily loved a scene where one of your npc buddies jumps through a window without breaking it. Then proceeds to jump back through the same window which finally exploded from enemy fire. The very same character then vaulted another 2 or 3 times through that same window because the player stood around the same area (and I suppose the npc's script dictated that it went through the window only?).

Somebody mentioned facing throngs of xenomorphs makes them less scary. It's the same for facehuggers : they're QTEs now. In AvP99 if one got on your face it was simply GAME OVER (not sure about AvP2, didn't play it). Here? Mash E to throw it down then shoot it. Since it's that easy it doesn't represent a challenge, thus isn't scary, thus becomes boring. So how do you spice it up? By adding MORE of them! It'd be funny to count how many facehuggers try to kiss you from start to end of the game.

Not going to touch the graphics/story because I feel bad enough about this whole fiasco already. In other news, Pitchford's twitter is dead silent (which is probably for the best given how volatile some people can be over something like this).

Bring on the Angry Joe review!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I didn't know you get to play Xenos in MP.

Is it just me or does playing a Xeno not looking as fun as it was in AVP 2010?

Sojgat

This game is an unforgivable piece of trash, but I have to admit that the level "The Raven" (whence "The Gif" originated) is probably one of my favourite of the generation. I have spent all morning playing it over, and over again, griefing a new group of co-op victims each time. Getting them blown up by blind kamikaze Aliens, or welding them all inside a tiny room with the level's titular giant, indestructible xenomorph. This joy alone was worth the price of admission.

Keeping this was a giant mistake; avoid it at all costs. I'm a bit shocked you can't pick up weapons off the ground... I picked up a shotgun and it apparently replaced my rifle, so I'm stuck with two shotguns and can't do shit at range.

On mission 3 and I still have no rifle. Pretty clear they didn't play test this thoroughly.

Keeping this was a giant mistake; avoid it at all costs. I'm a bit shocked you can't pick up weapons off the ground... I picked up a shotgun and it apparently replaced my rifle, so I'm stuck with two shotguns and can't do shit at range.

On mission 3 and I still have no rifle. Pretty clear they didn't play test this thoroughly.

You have all of your weapons on you at once, check the control menu for whatever system you have it on. For example on the PC I hit b and it brings up a radial menu that I use to switch between weapons. The two you have equipped are your primary and secondary but you actually have all of them on you. Bit gamebreaking but oh well.

EDarkness

It's Zombiehicks. At least his voice sounds like it, I hope Biehn got a solid paycheck so something good came out of this.

I still don't know what's worse, the core gameplay with the laughable AI or all the little bugs. I just had some enemies spawn in front of me and jumping two meters up in the air, flying all over the place. It feels like there's something like this every minute, way too bad to ever patch everything. And what's with the ending?
We've got everything we wanted? That's it? And why exactly was Hicks even in the story?

I was told at E3 that the game is acting as if Alien 3 never happened.

Moff

I played the first hour yesterday

In the rating system that was established in the last few years, Colonial Marines qualifies for a typical 6/10 game. it doesnt feel polished at all, has considerable flaws, but generally, the game works. mostly because the actual combat, gunplay, hit feedback is halfway decent. if you are a huge aliens fan and if you really manage to get into the games feel, you might even make that a 7. but I consider myself a fan of the franchise (even liked AvP2010 in some ways) and I was not able to to that.

that being said, thats the first hour of the game and maybe thats not representable at all.

Sojgat

I played the first hour yesterday

In the rating system that was established in the last few years, Colonial Marines qualifies for a typical 6/10 game. it doesnt feel polished at all, has considerable flaws, but generally, the game works. mostly because the actual combat, gunplay, hit feedback is halfway decent. if you are a huge aliens fan and if you really manage to get into the games feel, you might even make that a 7. but I consider myself a fan of the franchise (even liked AvP2010 in some ways) and I was not able to to that.

that being said, thats the first hour of the game and maybe thats not representable at all.

You're probably playing the PC version, which by most accounts is the superior version (it has textures). On consoles the game doesn't deserve above a 3. It's a disgrace.

No.

It seems like this was a much higher quality vertical slice produced using some of the game's assets, and following the basic structure of some of it's events.

It's total bullshit. It's a trick. It's exactly the kind of crap you'd expect from a magician.

Dueck

Banned
My impressions/details:

OK, well having spent the past 4 or 5 hours merely playing "escape" over and over again, it's a ton of fun online. I only had 1 laggy match and 1 disconnect the whole time, as well. The servers are very lively, and I love it so far.

The escape match is 2 rounds, and each team has a turn as marines and xenos. As the marines, you have to make it as far as possible out of the place, or escape. Then you switch. Whoever got the farthest as the marines wins. The marines only respawn at a couple of checkpoints, where as the the xenos will respawn every 5-10 seconds no matter what. It sounds hard, but the xenos are significantly less resistant to damage in this mode, and the marines can attack with a handgun while downed (until they bleed out or get murdered). This mode is a lot like Left 4 Dead, but on smaller maps. It was the reason I bought the game, and I am really happy with it. It controls pretty well, and I have no issues.

Extermination is similar, in that you switch sides half way. The point is to destroy as many egg nests as possible (or defend them). Whoever destroys the most in the time limit as the marines wins. I have not tried the survival mode, team deathmatch, or the offline stuff yet, but it's all pretty self-explanitory.

The upgrades you get when you level up are neat. Marines have a variety of weapons and you can have 5 different classes to choose from set up. There is also a surprising amount of customization for the marines (male, female, races, 4 face types each), and tons of little things to unlock (like camo, face paint, details like having playing cards on their helmet, etc). The xenos are more original, as they have a wide variety of different attacks, wildly different appearance options, and there are 3 different breeds to customize with their own skill-sets.

Branduil

This game is an unforgivable piece of trash, but I have to admit that the level "The Raven" (whence "The Gif" originated) is probably one of my favourite of the generation. I have spent all morning playing it over, and over again, griefing a new group of co-op victims each time. Getting them blown up by blind kamikaze Aliens, or welding them all inside a tiny room with the level's titular giant, indestructible xenomorph. This joy alone was worth the price of admission.

You should youtube this.

Johnny M

After 4 hours of playing.

The game should has been a 19.90$ title. MP is fun but lacks of longevity (few and small maps for scape and survival mode, there are not aliens managed by the AI, matchmaking is gonna kill the community, etc). Campaign is sooo bland, and even in badass mode there is no dificulty. Graphics looks like from 2005.

And then you have a Randy Pitchford, selling smoke with the E3 demo, lying around about development, and killing a potential franchise.

What a shame...

bryanee

On the Xbox version just hold Y. I'd assume Triangle on the PS3.

derExperte

I was told at E3 that the game is acting as if Alien 3 never happened.

Not really, someone even mentions that the Sulaco was last seen over Fiorina (A3 prison planet), they just don't explain anything and everytime some inconsistency comes up it's like 'Ask me later. Don't want to explain. Gotta go.'

Just finished the Xbox360 campaign, took me 8 hours with a little bit of exploring.
Not a terrible game, just mediocre (mind you, I know stinkers, as I've played a few: Jurassic Park FPS, Secret Service, Soldier of Fortune Payback, Darkest of Days, etc.)

A few patches, and this could be a decent average FPS. I think people are overreacting.
That score of "1" by that game review site was uncalled for. This is nowhere near complete failure/broken game.

Glad I rented it at Redbox though - played through for $2, instead of buying for $63.

Varth

5/5 review by the guy who's hosting an exposition for the game in his own "videogame museum".

Just an excerpt for your appreciation:

forget the useless reviews made by those who think Videogame is a cold piece of technology and not a complex, alive thing. Those guys, believe me, doesn't get it at all. Game over, man. Game over.

madmackem

Hmm where are the game saves on this on 360, i installed this but i think my hdd is playing up loading textures in as i have the issue on bf3 too. Went to delete the file but only found the file and no save game?.

beason52

Neo Member
Gotta say i'm thoroughly enjoying the game so far. 4 missions in.

big alien(s) franchise fanboy but I think people are absolutely overreacting

Randy pitchford is still grimey as hell though

Edit: This game MUST be played on Ultimate badass for co-op. Totally changes the game. Really gives it more of a survival horror feel

I have a feeling a lot of reviewers played on normal mode

DSmalls84

I have only played the first mission so far but it doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting.

I did notice many of the issues people were talking about. Cut scenes not using the in game engine look awful, I spotted some really low res floor textures, noticed 1 instance of clipping when my character handed an item to another and the a.i. was also spotty and my squad mate stared at me while 2 Xenos rushed him from behind.

With that being said I didn't find the gameplay to be awful. It was pretty fun mowing down Xenos and I liked that there are a good bit of collectables and you can upgrade your weapons as you progress. The controls also seemed fine, and it ran well on my pc.

Like I said before I only played the first mission so my opinion may change, and I have not tried the Coop or Competitive MP. Sure the game lacks polish but I didn't find it so bad that I quit playing or uninstalled it either. My first impressions would be somewhere between a 6-7.5.

Got to play some Co-op campaign and some of the Escape mode last night. Im actually enjoying it as a multiplayer game. The enemy AI on the toughest difficulty still is pretty blah but at least in the large numbers they put up serviceable resistance. The stupid poses they strike before attacking are horrible though.

Escape mod is fun as well but I fear the lack of fun will drain it of value quickly. Still as of right now, the L4D style Xeno v Marines gametype offers a good teamwork based game mode. The xenomorph's need to be given a bit more bite in this mode because so far everymatch has ended with the marines winning.

Hmm where are the game saves on this on 360, i installed this but i think my hdd is playing up loading textures in as i have the issue on bf3 too. Went to delete the file but only found the file and no save game?.

Some people on the official forums are claiming that there is no save file and if you clear your system cache it deletes all your stats (like rank) and progress. I do not have a 360 version of the game to confirm if this is always true or an isolated case.

Put me in the camp of "Enjoying the mediocrity" camp.

I'm a couple hours in, and yes, it'd been better were it released in 2000 or so, but it's actually pretty good fun. It's kinda bad, but not in really angering or frustrating ways (yet). It's just stupid bad. And sometimes that's, okay?

On PC, everything maxed. Paid $45 for it. Worth it? Probably not. Worth it at Steam sale $5 or $10? Heck yeah. Still, having some fun with it. Definitely not as bad as its being made out to be.

Guiberu

Ok.

I've played some of the PC version and....it's actually pretty good.

After seeing and reading about the lack of challenge, I opted to go for the Hardened mode off the bat.

The Xenos are doing things that I haven't seen in any video and completely belay the waves of "stupid xeno" gifs and impressions. I've had them lunge at me across half a room, duck and weave, crawl all over the walls and ceilings - and they've quite honestly fucked me up a few times now.

Each encounter is tense and I feel victorious in staying alive through it. This tension also distracts you from some of the poor animation, to the degree that unless you're genuinely stopping and watching the things intently (which is a very bad idea) you are not going to notice.

Yes, the voice work is god awful.
Yes, the animations in general are quite poor.
Yes, the game has many bugs.

But it's still quite fun. (And I don't like CoD. The last enjoyable FPS I played was Singularity). Additionally, the above points could at some point be modded / patched.

Just sharing an opinion. I think the game is being unfairly dismissed by the masses (on here anyway). Try it. Up the difficulty. Enjoy it rather than trying to meticulously spot each flaw.

After playing through about half the campaign in 2 player co-op and spending a few hours with the multiplayer, I'm liking it. It's far from perfect, but it's still enjoyable. (I also enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, despite it's many, many flaws.)

My only major gripe is that the wall-walking as an alien is really glitchy and rarely works right. Most surface transitions seem to immediately cause you to fall off, and the ones that don't do some really bad stuff with reversing your controls to match the orientation of your character. I get that up on the left stick makes me walk forward while I'm upside down, and walking onto a wall that I'm facing makes it so I need to move the stick down to walk down. It's when you try to walk through a doorway and the game interprets it as multiple surfaces instead of a "bump in the road" that things get nasty.

Mission 5
Stealth mission without guns
was awesome. Very atmospheric and tense. I really like this game. It's not a masterpiece (of course not) but I didn't expect that anyway.

Watching that demo/final vid. Reminds me of how little tension there was (imo) in A:CM.
Last week I played the Marine mission from AvP, and it was quite tense. Played both on same relative difficulty.
Maybe it has something to do with being able to knock the Aliens back quite easily with melee as they come running at you.
Maybe part of it too, is that you are solo much of the way through AvP, and in A:CM you seem to have AI around you (in sp) most of the time.

Still, game was mediocre, not crap. But the EXPERIENCE could have much more like Aliens.
And IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. I mean, it was tense watching the movie from a spectator's point of view. PLAYING THE GAME should have been even more tense.

I would have liked A:CM much more if it were survival horror, than a Borderlands-like run n gun action game. In retrospect, all your character leveling/gun unlocks & attatchments, etc were fluff, when the base game should have been about environmental mood & the best Alien AI they could muster. Yea the Aliens were pretty dumb, and I would watch 1 Alien's pathfinding approach to me, and other Aliens after that one would follow the exact same path.

A similar game that I just finished on Xbox was Quake4, and I will say that A:CM was a better game than that, for those saying A:CM feels like a 2005 game.
If anything, at least A:CM had a mostly stable framerate - Quake4 on the other hand varied so much, so widely, that it could many times be hard to shoot enemies, which is a terrible flaw for an FPS to have.

Top Bottom