• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

These review scores are the reason why no one makes old school shooter like Colonial Marines these days. Instead we get a new four hour COD single player campaign every year. Of course the lenght, the scripted events, the dumb A.I. and the silly story is no problem in a COD game..because...activision? I honestly don't know.

Doom 4 should get 3-4/10 as well then I guess...ah wait...good graphics. So more likely a 7-9/10

jaaz

Because it's uninspired fanwankery.
Like when you enter Hadley's Hope (without ever closing the front door again despite hearing some screams outside..) and after 10 seconds find an audio recording with Newt's family.

Especially Alien-nerds should shake their heads constantly. The story, the gameplay, the bugs, the animations, terrible scripting, lame action, lame aliens, almost every aspect is bad. So yeah, I agree with all the review that give this trash at most 4/10, personally I would go lower.

You're taking this game way too seriously my friend.

ezekial45

Banned
These review scores are the reason why no one makes old school shooter like Colonial Marines these days. Instead we get a new four hour COD single player campaign every year. Of course the lenght, the scripted events, the dumb K.I. and the silly story is no problem in a COD game..because...activision? I honestly don't know.

Doom 4 should get 3-4/10 as well then I guess...ah wait...good graphics. So more likely a 7-9/10

You're selling COD a bit short here. They're very well made and they achieve exactly what they set out to do. Also, Black OPS 2 has some of the most creative ideas in a single player COD campaign, and they work very well. Much better than this game could've done, and in just 2 years, no less.

alphaNoid

Banned
These review scores are the reason why no one makes old school shooter like Colonial Marines these days. Instead we get a new four hour COD single player campaign every year. Of course the lenght, the scripted events, the dumb A.I. and the silly story is no problem in a COD game..because...activision? I honestly don't know.

I haven't installed yet, but how is this game feel like an old school shooter I'm actually kind of excited now, considering I HATE the CoD formula of FPS. I'd love me some 90s gameplay.

Radian8

I played a couple of missions of Single, some co-op and some vs on PC.
It's such a mixed bag, it's like from room to room it can be really great fun to actual laugh out loud bad.

The game in it's current state is disgraceful, it's not finished, the amount of bugs and terrible A.I I've seen in my short time playing it is incredible.
As for the graphics, there are textures that are worse than quake 3 Arena, it's like they are place holders. It screams that Gearbox had ZERO quality control and pretty much used it as a cash grab.

I'm so amazed by the lack of quality in the game, it's gutting. I wanted it to be a great Aliens game, but Gearbox have done a cash grab as far as I'm concerned and pushed the development out to the cheapest devs they could find and didn't care what they were given as a final product.

As for them trying to do the P.R push of "we only did the multiplayer!", well the multiplayer is possibly even worse a turd than single! The amount of unfinished animations and complete lack of polish in general is astounding.

I haven't installed yet, but how is this game feel like an old school shooter I'm actually kind of excited now, considering I HATE the CoD formula of FPS. I'd love me some 90s gameplay.

It has some Doom vibe to it... Don't know how to describe it. It's not scary...it just feels....arcade like.

It's a dark corridor shooter. You shoot Aliens and bad guys....so if you like that you'll have fun with this game :)

@ezekial: Ist just my opinion ;) but I always thought that CoD is trash in terms of story, dialogue, A.I., etc.
The MP saves this game every year. Imagine a CoD with a small MP part and a 4-5 hour single player campaign. Would this game get bad scores? I don't think so..7-8 maybe.
I just don't understand gaming journalism anymore

derExperte

You're taking this game way too seriously my friend.

Oh I had a few good laughs while playing.

It's just as scripted as any COD but the scripts are worse, even more obvious and often bugged. It has all the problems of modern shooters without any of the polish so I don't get how this is like a classic shooter maybe apart from only partial health-regen. It's not, I played AvP1 a short while ago, that's classic. This is rubbish.

No, it's because they did a terrible, awful job of translating the source material into a video game. It's garbage. If you mean 'old-school' as in terrible AI, non-threatening enemies, friendlys you can shoot through, levitating teammates, and just flat out bad IQ, then you're right. It is old school.

We are living in 2013. We shouldn't be playing a game that feels like it should of been released in 2004. Even modern 'old school' shooters adopt the advancements in game design that have been used for the past 15 years or so.

Seriously people, this game is Daikatana levels of awfulness.

Okay I played the first mission (I know at least 3 from the youtube videos) and I already love this game (xbox360)

Graphics are okay
Atmosphere is great
Weapons feel great....would compare it to Doom, I love that
Game runs smoothly, no tearing at all (still early in the game though)
Motion tracker is NOT useless...maybe if you play this game on easy

The critics are laughable, I expected the worst. This shooter feels oldschool...in a good way.

It's not horror like Alien 1. It's action like Aliens.

newcarsmell.jpg

rose-colored-glasses.jpg

vidcons

Banned
The Alien series has a serious problem: it's either boring horror (because the Alien is already so installed in our pop-culture that it can't adhere to the genre (things that shouldn't happen but do)) or weird action. I'm glad they went the action route and so far (first mission), it's been pretty good. The best they can do to build tension is to get you to move, and there are some really good parts and some really bad parts.

Example of it being shit: Running into an area and then camping the doorway which the Aliens funnel through.

Example of it being awesome: Being in a hallway, what seems like 3-7 Aliens begin funneling through, your gun clip empties, you turn and run. Que squadmate closing the door behind you, Alien trying to hold the door open, and then BLAM shotgun to the head.

So far, mixed bag of working with a series that is going to have trouble ever functioning in a way that the original movies did (since they're all 3 different takes on the same monster but with the same character (aka, exactly what I want to happen to every franchise)).

Haven't checked anything else out yet, will try some more tonight.

e: I can't imagine Gearbox's take on multiplayer to be anything noteworthy. Anything that the franchise could have been has already been trumped by Natural Selection 2 and Left 4 Dead.

Raptomex

It has some Doom vibe to it... Don't know how to describe it. It's not scary...it just feels....arcade like.

It's a dark corridor shooter. You shoot Aliens and bad guys....so if you like that you'll have fun with this game :)

@ezekial: Ist just my opinion ;) but I always thought that CoD is trash in terms of story, dialogue, A.I., etc.
The MP saves this game every year. Imagine a CoD with a small MP part and a 4-5 hour single player campaign. Would this game get bad scores? I don't think so..7-8 maybe.
I just don't understand gaming journalism anymore
I like what I'm hearing. So if you like classic games like Doom or Wolf, even Painkiller or Serious Sam you would recommend getting this?

vidcons

Banned
I like what I'm hearing. So if you like classic games like Doom or Wolf, even Painkiller or Serious Sam you would recommend getting this?

I'd say it's more like RE4 in how you're supposed to handle encounters, occasionally running away while usually killing everything.

but everything else is nothing like RE4, it's just the example that's popping into my head.

Raptomex

I'd say it's more like RE4 in how you're supposed to handle encounters, occasionally running away while usually killing everything.

but everything else is nothing like RE4, it's just the example that's popping into my head.
I could never get into the RE series so I can't really understand but I am a fan of old school shooters. I gues I'll just watch some gameplay videos down the road and decide for myself. Waiting for the Wii U version anyway.

If you want something with a more old school approach try AVP2010. The marine campaign features heatlh packs, no iron sights, no crouch button, and doesn't rely heavily on set piece encounters. While the alien and predator campaigns focus on stealth and gory executions.

Raptomex

If you want something with a more old school approach try AVP2010. The marine campaign features heatlh packs, no iron sights, no crouch button, and doesn't rely heavily on set piece encounters. While the alien and predator campaigns focus on stealth and gory executions.
I actually do have that for Steam. There was a sale. Haven't played it due to some mixed reviews I heard and my backlog at the time.

I actually do have that for Steam. There was a sale. Haven't played it due to some mixed reviews I heard and my backlog at the time.
Played some of this last night in memoriam for the turd that was just released. Its not bad, and worth it for the hipfire alone. No aim-down-the-sights here. Just walking through dark and derelict facilities, with classic weapons, motion sensor, stim packs, and the ability to toss a flare.

Between that and X-Com: Enemy Unknown, I'm getting a full alien killing, space marine fix.

Raptomex

Played some of this last night in memoriam for the turd that was just released. Its not bad, and worth it for the hipfire alone. No aim-down-the-sights here. Just walking through dark and derelict facilities, with classic weapons, motion sensor, stim packs, and the ability to toss a flare.

Between that and X-Com, I'm getting a full alien killing space marine fix.
Is there some form of replayability with AvP or just the three campaigns and multiplayer? I plan to play it for the SP alone. I should mention I did really enjoy the original AvP game. Still need to check out the second one.

This is pretty heartbreaking. Was at least hoping for something on a similar level to avp 2010 which isn't exactly asking for much. Sad to hear that it doesn't even reach that bar.

Is there some form of replayability with AvP or just the three campaigns and multiplayer? I plan to play it for the SP alone. I should mention I did really enjoy the original AvP game. Still need to check out the second one.
No real replay value that I can see besides the odd collectible/audio log hunt. The journey is its own reward.

I would recommend X-Com: Enemy Unknown for those seeking a fix, even though its a turn based strategy game. The battles will give you more suspense, emergent drama and alien feels than any of these other games.

The SP campaign is pretty straight forward but it does include some collectible audio logs to find. There's also a horde mode but the base game only includes two maps. There are some dlc maps but I never downloaded them.

Raptomex

No real replay value that I can see besides the odd collectible/audio log hunt. The journey is its own reward.

I would recommend X-Com: Enemy Unknown for those seeking a fix, even though its a turn based strategy game. The battles will give you more suspense, emergent drama and alien feels than any of these other games.

The SP campaign is pretty straight forward but it does include some collectible audio logs to find. There's also a horde mode but the base game only includes two maps. There are some dlc maps but I never downloaded them.
Thanks. I thought about checking out X-COM. I may wait for a sale.

RobbieNick

LOL Oh man!

Okay, okay. I picked up the game. I was thinking of cancelling it but hell, it was payed off and I was morbidly curious.

This game is AWESOME-ly bad. It's hilarious in that almost "so bad, it's good way". This game was started in 2006 and it looks and feels like it. The Aliens will just walk right up to you as you're shooting at them which is dumb for them as they go down really easily. That is, if you can see them. The environments are so dark, it's hard to tell where they are.

Fortunately, your A.I. buddies are good at killing their fair share of the Xenomorphs. Unfortunately, They do tend to walk right in your line of fire, but that's okay, because they are totally impervious to your bullets and don't react to them at all! XD

The AI on the Xenomorphs is horrendous. If they're are not coming at you directly for an attack, they'll just wander off randomly or get stuck in walls and corners. I had one run right past me and go to a flight of stairs where he hunched down and just stayed there frozen until I attacked him. The animation on them is pretty poor too. Sometimes they won't just crawl from a horizontal to vertical drop with thier bodies bending, but will instead act like a boat where their animations will stay flat so they crawl from a ceiling to a wall. Completely stiff.

This game had a 7 year delay and still feels like it was unfinished. I will say I'm enjoying the game so far, but not in the way Sega intended. This game needs some serious riffing.

Raptomex

I usually would have done the same, but dammit I was hyped for A:CM even though it looked weak. So I just re-routed those monies towards Firaxis instead ;P
If it wasn't coming to Wii U I probably would have pre-ordered it on Steam way back when. So in some ways it just saved me some money. And also I may be the only one on this forum who enjoyed 007 Legends (minus the QTE boss fights) so I may eventually play this game and enjoy it.

Oh man, that warms my heart. I was just thinking of buying AVP2010 because it's a lot better than this game now. I played AVP2000 but hated the save system.

When you play as an alien in the multiplayer modes, the marine sergeant is still the "voice of god."

i.e. "One minute left, marines!" -while playing as an alien

wtf is that

Request to change thread title to 'Colonial Marines: Aliens |OT| SHIT'S ALL EXPLODING AND SHIT'

It's an actual quote by your sidekick once the ship starts exploding, and I think it's an excellent, concise summary of the game.

RobbieNick

I had one Marine with his back to the door. I open the door and he walks backwards into an open room until an Alien attacks him from behind and he finally turns around. XD

This game is GOLDEN....shower.

IT JUST CONGRATULATED ME FOR RANKING UP TEN MINUTES AFTER I RANKED UP!! @_@

derExperte

So why are you thinking about buying A:CM? :O

The AI on the Xenomorphs is horrendous. If they're are not coming at you directly for an attack, they'll just wander off randomly or get stuck in walls and corners.

Exactly my experience, it kills every sense of danger that they behave like they can't make up their mind. Agressive killing machines these are not, more like retarded grasshoppers.

Raptomex

So why are you thinking about buying A:CM? :O

Exactly my experience, it kills every sense of danger that they behave like they can't make up their mind. Agressive killing machines these are not, more like retarded grasshoppers.
Well I'm still going to play AvP 2010 at some point just haven't gotten around to it. And I wanted to try A:CM just because. Just because it gets horrid reviews doesn't mean I'll hate it. But I may just wait for it to hit bargain bins or some significant sale. Like I said before I may be the only one on this forum who enjoyed 007 Legends (minus the QTE boss fights) so I may enjoy this.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Got AVP2000 in frustration and damn that game still holds up fairly decently all things considered. Maybe i'm just all nostalgia-y for it but I wish A:CM ended up a bit more like that. Really impressive that it can still get a fearful feeling hearing that bleep from the motion tracker, throwing out a flare and seeing the skeletal build of a xeno rushing through the darkness at me, causing me to fire my pulse rifle wildly hoping I chop its limbs off before it can reach out to strike.

Top Bottom