• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

You know whats funny. After this thing drops to $15 bucks on Steam I am definitely picking it up. I don't know why but I could see it being a pretty entertaining ride with a couple friends and some hard alcohol.

Man, this really highlights how lucky Gearbox was with Borderlands 1. After this and DNF, not many studios could get away with two huge turds.

CTLance

I just spent my afternoon watching someone play through this. I feel like I lost something irreplacable.

Suggesting new thread subtitle: "We got everything"

RobbieNick

I will say that while both the Marines and Aliens have bad A.I., at least the Marines actually kill enemies when they fire at them. Unlike most FPS's where their bullets do minimal or nothing unless you finish them of themselves. I feel like one of the group instead of a lone savior.

That's all I got sadly.

Wasn't DNF developed by 3D Realms? I read that Gearbox only tweaked and finished some parts.

Yes, 3D realms developed DNF over what, 12 years? Gearbox picked up the IP and put it out.

My point is that Gearbox has released two high profile duds in the past 2 years. Not many studios can get away with that.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Request to change thread title to 'Colonial Marines: Aliens |OT| SHIT'S ALL EXPLODING AND SHIT'

It's an actual quote by your sidekick once the ship starts exploding, and I think it's an excellent, concise summary of the game.
I preferred "we're in the pipe, five by fuck"

RobbieNick

I will say, it does get better the further you play it. It's just that it's flaws REALLY stand out and are immediate in the first level.

I'l try MP out in a little bit. Right now, it's hovering around 6/10 for me. Very flawed, but the game play is decent.

Larsen B

Man, this really highlights how lucky Gearbox was with Borderlands 1. After this and DNF, not many studios could get away with two huge turds.

When Gearbox rescued this and DNF from development hell, they probably thought they were doing gamers a favour and would bask in gratitude for years. And then it turned out that both should have stayed in the abyss from whence they came.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i still think Rebellion should keep doing aliens games as much shit as it gets i quite liked AvP

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Okay I played the first mission (I know at least 3 from the youtube videos) and I already love this game (xbox360)

Graphics are okay
Atmosphere is great
Weapons feel great....would compare it to Doom, I love that
Game runs smoothly, no tearing at all (still early in the game though)
Motion tracker is NOT useless...maybe if you play this game on easy

The critics are laughable, I expected the worst. This shooter feels oldschool...in a good way.

It's not horror like Alien 1. It's action like Aliens.
This is so nuts. Listen to what you're are saying. It's paranoid delusion. It's really sad. It's pathetic.

I'm kiddin'

Angry Joe is quite...angry

https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/301399912761925633

His review goes up tomorrow.
ibeqkO6D6fLDwM.gif

Lucifon

Just played the campaign on coop on the PC version for the past few hours, and genuinely had a lot of fun. No it's not a masterpiece, but a lot of the hate is overblown. That said if you're playing it on a console singleplayer I can imagine the campaign will be pretty dull. But in coop it's genuinely good fun!

I get a feeling alot of you guys will get the game when it's cheaper like $15, $20 and think... well it's got alot of issues but I'm having some mild fun. I don't mind the first few levels but I hear it only get's better later. Will see. It does feel like an older FPS warped to the future, only to be slaughtered by the masses, riding a hate wave we've not seen in years! Great SCOTT!

bryanee

Just did five missions on co-op, we had a blast. It makes the game far to easy though so you'll want to put it on the hardest setting.

Just did five missions on co-op, we had a blast. It makes the game far to easy though so you'll want to put it on the hardest setting.
It doesn't scale?

One of the dev diaries said that the designers hand scripted different encounter elements for co-op.

But I honestly don't know what pre-release info to believe about this game.

bryanee

It doesn't scale?

One of the dev diaries said that the designers hand scripted different encounter elements for co-op.

But I honestly don't know what pre-release info to believe about this game.

We started on the normal difficulty and whilst it did add more enemies in some encounters it didnt really make the game any harder so we upped the difficulty to add some extra challenge.

ultrazilla

Initial impressions:

Just fired up the first couple missions on the PC version with everything maxed. Don't know where the hate is coming from, I'm having a fun time with it. The graphics are fine and everything runs really smooth. Good music soundtrack. Controls are tight and responsive. The voice acting is "meh" but I wasn't expecting "Hamlet" either.

The quick round of extraction multiplayer was fun as hell. Intense and really captures the spirit of the movie.

I have not seen any of the screen tearing or bugged animations yet that seem to be prevalent everywhere in the console versions from all the complaints being thrown at it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I get a feeling alot of you guys will get the game when it's cheaper like $15, $20 and think... well it's got alot of issues but I'm having some mild fun. I don't mind the first few levels but I hear it only get's better later. Will see. It does feel like an older FPS warped to the future, only to be slaughtered by the masses, riding a hate wave we've not seen in years! Great SCOTT!
Probably will pick it up super cheap. I also have the option of buying this from EB, playing it for a day or two then returning it for something else I actually want. In terms of just brainless fps shooting gallery, it actually looks mildly fun - not A$79 fun though.

I dunno, they went out of their way to hype this thing up as the second coming of Aliens games. It's one of the most loved franchises in nerdy/scifi culture. They have the nerve to consider it 'canon', on the level of the movie that inspired it despite seeming to miss the entire point and themes of the film, retcon the franchise to make their own changes to the story (which from what I've seen is eye-rolling laugh out loud garbage, particularly the final sequence), release a buggy game after years of development, which barely resembles the original game they've been hyping up. Nerds scorned, etc.

jaaz

Initial impressions:

Just fired up the first couple missions on the PC version with everything maxed. Don't know where the hate is coming from, I'm having a fun time with it. The graphics are fine and everything runs really smooth. Good music soundtrack. Controls are tight and responsive. The voice acting is "meh" but I wasn't expecting "Hamlet" either.

The quick round of extraction multiplayer was fun as hell. Intense and really captures the spirit of the movie.

I have not seen any of the screen tearing or bugged animations yet that seem to be prevalent everywhere in the console versions from all the complaints being thrown at it.

Same, PC here. At mission 4 and again, I'm not seeing the basis for all of these terrible reviews. It's still a 7/10 game for me.

I think people had really high expectations or didn't realize this was to be an action game. It's Aliens, not Shakespeare, enjoy it for what it is.

H2Yo

While the game, I don't think deserves a 2/10 score, it certainly does have a few downers.
I'd personally give it a 6/10. Had some fun last night with Team Deathmatch and Escape.

One thing through, Escape is insanely unbalanced. As a marine it was a walk in the park. As an Alien it was nigh impossible. The wall walking with the Xenos also felt super janky.
As a Marine: I had 19 kills 0 Downs 0 Deaths.
As an Alien: 0 Kills, 23 Deaths. --Not one Alien scored a single kill.

I hate the matchmaking in this, peer-to-peer on PC sucks bollocks.

Tried some coop campaign with 2 friends and it was unplayable for everyone due to lag.
Everyone has +10Mbit connections...

Started on the highest difficulty. It actually brings it in line with how the 1999 game played. Aliens kill you in a hit or two. Ammo is a concern, since you can waste a whole clip trying to track down one alien that is jumping around on the walls.

I actually started to think it might save the game, but then I ran into poor check-pointing. Which isn't a deal breaker itself, but replaying parts of levels really shows how scripted all these alien encounters are. If this game just had some kind of dynamic AI to change how the aliens approach you, it could be a legitimate aliens game on the highest difficulty.

Got AVP2000 in frustration and damn that game still holds up fairly decently all things considered. Maybe i'm just all nostalgia-y for it but I wish A:CM ended up a bit more like that. Really impressive that it can still get a fearful feeling hearing that bleep from the motion tracker, throwing out a flare and seeing the skeletal build of a xeno rushing through the darkness at me, causing me to fire my pulse rifle wildly hoping I chop its limbs off before it can reach out to strike.

Check out AvP2 if you can find it ... even better!

Montague

Neo Member
Did anyone else notice that Randy Pitchford has basically been MIA from Twitter since the game launched? I really wonder what happened with this, because when I asked him about the possibility of a new series of Aliens games, he said that "We're hard at work making this the best game it can be and once it's out we'll worry about the possibility of making it a franchise." GOOD LUCK WITH THAT NOW.

How does this happen? How do you call yourself a huge fan of the series and let a terrible game get made? I think the more dedication you have for something the more likely you are to ruin it, ie, Tom Hewlett, self-proclaimed biggest fan of Silent Hill who produced the atrocious HD collection and other mediocre titles. Your blatant fan love for the title makes you blind to how shitty it is.

God, this is kind of crushing as an Aliens fan. I've been waiting for a dedicated Aliens game to coop with my brother since we were kids, watching Aliens in my parents basement. We had been waiting for this game for almost seven years now.

I really feel like Gearbox deserves to crumble for this as a developer. Between this and Duke, they've singled handedly wrecked great opportunities for two wonderful franchises - they shouldn't just walk away from this cuz people keep buying borderlands DLC.

God, this is kind of crushing as an Aliens fan. I've been waiting for a dedicated Aliens game to coop with my brother since we were kids, watching Aliens in my parents basement. We had been waiting for this game for almost seven years now.

I really feel like Gearbox deserves to crumble for this as a developer. Between this and Duke, they've singled handedly wrecked great opportunities for two wonderful franchises - they shouldn't just walk away from this cuz people keep buying borderlands DLC.

I know it's been mentioned a ton already in this thread alone, but Gearbox had very little to do with the wrecking of Duke.

I know it's been mentioned a ton already in this thread alone, but Gearbox had very little to do with the wrecking of Duke.

But their name is on these projects, man. For one thing, it's unclear at this point how true the rumored farming of the SP portion of Aliens is, but it's almost besides the point - I've never seen this from any other developer, a willingness to ship out a complete disaster of a product, twice, when you have a 90+ game on metacritic. It baffles the mind.

To say nothing of the fact that this shits all over Aliens fans hopes that we were finally going to have a worthy dedicated entry, sans predator.

Linconan

Another Update for ALIENS Colonial Marines
Same size too. 106megs

Loving ALIENS Colonial Marines,

i honestly don't understand the hate surrounding it.
You people are crazy,lol, i swear some of you haven't even played it, and are just being dramatic. lol

Fans support what they love.
And i'm thrilled to be in the ALIENS Universe again.
It's not as bad as all you are making it out.

I had a bad feeling about this Thread..
You know Burke, i don't know which species is worse..
Hicks, We are leaving..

GIFSoup

Same size too. 106megs

You people are crazy,lol, i swear some of you haven't even played it, and are just being dramatic. lol

Hicks, We are leaving..

GIFSoup

Stealth Gearbox PR post.

For sure, the 47% on metacritic is just a bunch of people with their heads up their asses.

Fans don't mindlessly support "what they love" regardless of quality, that only damages the brand and the franchise.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Same size too. 106megs

Hicks, We are leaving..

GIFSoup

Stockholm syndrome in action.

Top Bottom