• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

TehSw1tch

Banned
neorej said:
Played half an hour as Alien. All the transitions gave me a headache, especially the bad-ass grabmove from the ceiling.

Can you watch shaky-cam movies without getting a headache too?

Not sure if this was posted, but a thread was created by a Rebellion employee on the Steam forums about Dedicated Servers:

daPing said:
Rebellion are busy preparing the dedicated server for the Aliens vs. Predator community. We hope to have a beta release with reduced functionality out in the next few days and further updates to improve functionality and fix bugs over the next few weeks.

The files will be available to download from the “Tools” tab in the Steam client and will be a free download.

This thread will be updated as and when there is more information to provide.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13528000&postcount=1

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bluemercury said:
why would you want to play this with a 360 pad??? doesnt make sense
Why do people feel the need to question this every single time?!

Look, I like mouse and keyboard, but it just isn't comfortable in a living room setting. I almost exclusively play PC games using my HT setup. 360 pad support allows me to comfortably do just that without sacrificing performance through buying a console version.

For the few PC games which require a mouse and keyboard to play, I can deal, but it's very uncomfortable for long sessions and I simply don't enjoy playing games at my desk. STALKER CoP is a great example. It's a game I want to get into, but playing at the desk ruins the experience and playing in front of the TV is much less comfortable.

I think people need to realize that more of us are playing PC games through our home theater setup these days.

dark10x said:
Any word on PC performance?

I'm still mildly interested in this, but it's very hard to put any faith into Rebellion at this point.
the demo runs great at 1920 x 1200 and below in DX9... DX11 performance we'll find out soon. higher than 1920 x 1200 i guess the game is very shader intensive so performance drops off sharpish. dunno what res you play at, but i'm at 1920 x 1200 so i'm actually pretty impressed with how well it runs and how good it looks.

again, just talking about the demo.

I too am trying to figure out what certain reviews are trying to say when they claim that the gameplay feels too outdated, althought admittedly I never played the previous iterations. It doesn't help that most don't care to eloberate beyond that point, so I'm just going to wildly assume that by that they're referring to the lack of crouch (not necessary in here), lack of iron-sights (dito), no weapon unlocks coupled with a fancy experience system à la Modern Warfare 2 / Bad Company 2 and so forth. Maybe it's the weapon collecting for the multiplayer as opposed to setting up load-outs, but even then it wouldn't be a valid complaint. I also find phrases such as "this doesn't look like a game from 2010" very amusing for more than one reason. I'll refrain from commenting on everything else though as the single player critiques for instance could very well be spot on, since I've only played the multiplayer demo.

On another and slightly off-topic note: looking at that GameSpot review, I'm getting tired of publications praising Gears of War 2's Horde Mode. Not saying that the one in this game will be undoubtly better as (like many others in this thread) I've only played the Deathmatch demo, but Horde Mode is probably one of the worst examples I can think of when discussing Survivor-ish modes. Maps straight out of the competitive multiplayer (not a single Horde-specific unique map in there), easily exploited by camping on one spot and blocking paths with shields (though I heard they fixed this eventually), braindead A.I. and Epic only bothered to actually design 9 - 10 waves out of the 40 or 50 in Horde before recycling 'em. It's like they hardly put any effort into that poor excuse of a mode.

Haunted said:
That does not answer my question.
Not seeing anything on the Steam Store page, but they're not always feature complete. Guess you'll have to wait until someone gets their hands on the PC version to be sure.

dark10x said:
Any word on PC performance?

I'm still mildly interested in this, but it's very hard to put any faith into Rebellion at this point.
PC performance of the demo seemed smooth on my relatively old rig. 60 frames per second most of the time with everything on max + vsync. I use a 3 GHz Intel Dual Core and a Radeon HD 4650 / 4850 (forgot which one it was). DirectX 9 though; still using Windows XP.

Haunted

MicVlaD said:
Not seeing anything on the Steam Store page, but they're not always feature complete. Guess you'll have to wait until someone gets their hands on the PC version to be sure.
Thanks. :)

MMaRsu

Just picked this up..had to travel 30 minutes by train to get it and 30 minutes back, since all the stores in my area are closed due to Carnaval lol.. oh well it better be worth it gaf!

Impressions later ;)

I think the game gives off a very old school feeling which is setting off reviews. No aiming, no crouch, linear level design, etc, etc. Toss in lot of little issues and it creates... low review scores. Poor AI, control issues, lame bosses, etc just kind of add all to it. I think people are looking for a very BIG and specific problem with the game though the reviews seem to be nitpicking at every aspect pretty much.

TehSw1tch

Banned
randomwab said:
I like the idea of them bitching about the controls not realising they were watching a DVD.

"When I attempted to aim down the iron sights with the left trigger, the framerate crumbled to an unplayable level, and a massive bug would stop all sound. Then upon shooting with the right trigger, the framerate would rocket forward to an unplayable superspeed. Oddly, jumping with A would restore the framerate, although our character wouldn't actually jump. To call the controls "buggy" would be an understatement. Hopefully a release day patch will iron out the kinks in the controls."

:lol :lol :lol

BattleMonkey said:
No aiming,
I know what you mean but it still made me laugh.

Iron sight aiming doesn't make sense for a game with lightning fast wall crawling aliens, and invisible uber hunters. It just doesn't. It doesn't make sense based on the films. It's a game where spraying your bullets about is actually often a smart thing to do tactically speaking to spot targets...

It just isn't that kind of game. It's a twitch shooter, not some real world military thing. Aiming down the sights would make as much sense in a game like this as it'd make in Serious Sam.

Sill4

plagiarize said:
I know what you mean but it still made me laugh.

Iron sight aiming doesn't make sense for a game with lightning fast wall crawling aliens, and invisible uber hunters. It just doesn't. It doesn't make sense based on the films. It's a game where spraying your bullets about is actually often a smart thing to do tactically speaking to spot targets...

It just isn't that kind of game. It's a twitch shooter, not some real world military thing. Aiming down the sights would make as much sense in a game like this as it'd make in Serious Sam.
This is the reason the reviews are so split.

Some people like it, some don't. So simple.

The people that like it can see the flaws and review it as such.

The people that don't like it don't give it a chance at all and review it as such.

Happens too most games like this that aren't AAA.

But again, I still can hardly believe why people get so hung up on reviews!

-edit- Who has got it today, and where?!

Downloading from Steam right now. I about shit when I saw that it was 15gigs.

I guess I can play it tonight...

Can't wait...Can't wait...Can't wait...

Edit:

At least I know how to select which DirectX version...

avpdxver.png

MMaRsu

Just played a TDM game :D. Omg so much fucking better then the demo. At least as a marine.. you have a big open map so that's great, and a full game with NO lag at all o_O. I could hardly get into any games with the demo..

panda21

need screenshots of maxed out dx11 NOW

Talamius said:
That is disappointing and definitely puts me in the "wait to buy" camp.

i thought rebellion were running their own dedicated servers? seems like they are talking about allowing users to run their own as well there? or are there no dedicated servers at all at the moment?

panda21 said:
need screenshots of maxed out dx11 NOW

i thought rebellion were running their own dedicated servers? seems like they are talking about allowing users to run their own as well there? or are there no dedicated servers at all at the moment?
hopefully a few days means 'by the end of the week'. i can definately stand to wait that long.

TehSw1tch

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Just played a TDM game :D. Omg so much fucking better then the demo. At least as a marine.. you have a big open map so that's great, and a full game with NO lag at all o_O. I could hardly get into any games with the demo..

Good to know! 360/PS3/PC?

MMaRsu

TehSw1tch said:
Good to know! 360/PS3/PC?

360 :). No tearing or framedrops in that match either. Just started Alien campaign and it's pretty awesome as well. Just hold the RT to transition, and it's just how it should be from what I remember playing AvP2 on PC. I still have the original cardboard box laying around, just missing the discs lol :p.

The atmosphere is crazy good so far as well, just finished the first mission. TASTES GOOD.

Now for a marine mission..

Graphics are AMAZING in the first marine mission holy shit.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've been playing Shattered Horizon all week, I'm ready for upside-down madness.

And man, the reviews are all over the place. Guess the controls really just don't click with some of the narrow-minded reviewers.

Empire Magazine 4/5 (Thanks to sambomambo)
Game Informer 5.75/10
Game Informer (Aus) 8.7/10 < Add this one to the OP right under the GI US!
Gamers.AT 81%
Seraphic Gaming 8.6/10
OXM UK 8/10
IGN UK 8.5/10
Techdigest.TV 4/5
PC Zone 82%
Bit-Tech 7/10
Polymania 3+/5
GameReactor 6/10
Everyeye.it 7.5/10
Gamez.nl 86/100
Jeuxactu.com 7/10 (SP)
Games.Tiscali 7/10
Gram.pl 4/6
GamingXP.com 84%
Gamespot 5.5/10
Fz.se 2/5
Eurogamer.it 7/10
PC Powerplay 7/10
PS3bloggen.se 60/100
OXM AUS 9/10
Burn360.net 3/5
Multiplayer.it 7.2/10
Meristation 7.5/10
Original Gamer 6.5/10
PSM3 91%
OXPM 90%
OPM 90%
Electricpig 3/5
Hardgame 9/10
Gamervision 7.75/10
Actiontrip 6.1/10

panda21 said:
If I were to take a guess: maybe they're waiting for the EU release before launching their dedicated servers? Seeing how it's still a few days away over here, officially speaking.

MMaRsu said:
360 :). No tearing or framedrops in that match either. Just started Alien campaign and it's pretty awesome as well. Just hold the RT to transition, and it's just how it should be from what I remember playing AvP2 on PC. I still have the original cardboard box laying around, just missing the discs lol :p.

The atmosphere is crazy good so far as well, just finished the first mission. TASTES GOOD.

Now for a marine mission..

Graphics are AMAZING in the first marine mission holy shit.

Glad your enjoying it! Wait till the second level with the marine! :D OHHH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
FrostuTheNinja said:
At least I know how to select which DirectX version...

avpdxver.png

Apparently if you only have DX10 hardware you should run under DX11 anyway. It will default to DX10 and you will just be missing the DX11-specific effects.

TehSw1tch

Banned
neorej said:
Not really, I can't remember either Bourne nor Cloverfield having shots going from upside-down to straight in 0,2 seconds every 30 seconds.

What are you talking about dood? Matt Damon was jump clinging from wall-to-wall all the time in Ultimatum!!

MMaRsu

OH MY GOD

The part in the club? Fucking classic awesome shit baby HELL YEAHHHHHHHHH fucking xenomorph killing baby

Only thing that I felt was jolting is that in survivor mode you can't throw out flares. Not sure if they did this for a framerate issue or what. Just wish you could. Would help in seeing the aliens. Also just watched Alien last night. One of the tunnels in the ship looked almost like a tunnel in the first marine level. :D Good stuff.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MMaRsu said:
OH MY GOD

The part in the club? Fucking classic awesome shit baby HELL YEAHHHHHHHHH fucking xenomorph killing baby

I'm glad you weren't disappointed. :lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Only thing that I felt was jolting is that in survivor mode you can't throw out flares. Not sure if they did this for a framerate issue or what. Just wish you could. Would help in seeing the aliens. Also just watched Alien last night. One of the tunnels in the ship looked almost like a tunnel in the first marine level. :D Good stuff.

It was really cool launching flares straight up into the sky in Stranded to signal your location to other players in the original game. I guess none of the survivor maps are as open as that though. I really hope there is a remake complete with the bunker at some point.

TheExodu5

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Damn it must suck having to download 15 gigs before you can play it :p. There's still something about picking a game up in the store :).

Considering it's not in stores yet, it's not too bad. :)

yeah. just picked up my copy. my Gamestop only had one PC version in... i wasn't going to let anyone else get it. they had three pre-orders me included... so hopefully they can get extra copies from the nearby store asap.

but anyways... i have mine! just have to wait until i get out of here in three hours to go home and play it. first thing will be DX 11 comparisons.

cause, i upgraded my pc for this game, and i always spend some time tweaking to get the right performance/IQ balance. may as well take some screens while i'm at it.

f2immw.jpg

East coast if anyone is wondering. They received their shipment just before midday.

TheExodu5

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Well it is.

Don't know any stores with it around here anyways (Ottawa, Canada). No stores are getting it in until tomorrow or Thursday.

plagiarize said:
yeah. just picked up my copy. my Gamestop only had one PC version in... i wasn't going to let anyone else get it. they had three pre-orders me included... so hopefully they can get extra copies from the nearby store asap.

but anyways... i have mine! just have to wait until i get out of here in three hours to go home and play it. first thing will be DX 11 comparisons.

cause, i upgraded my pc for this game, and i always spend some time tweaking to get the right performance/IQ balance. may as well take some screens while i'm at it.

I expect fully uncompressed screenshots of DX9 vs. DX10 vs. DX11! I want to see tessellation at work! Try to give framerate impression of each mode too, if possible. :)

TheExodu5 said:
Don't know any stores with it around here anyways (Ottawa, Canada). No stores are getting it in until tomorrow or Thursday.

I expect fully uncompressed screenshots of DX9 vs. DX10 vs. DX11! I want to see tessellation at work! Try to give framerate impression of each mode too, if possible. :)
i don't know if i can provide valid DX10 comparison shots. i do have a DX10 card still, but it's an nvidia card, so any differences in IQ we might see we can't be sure wouldn't be driver related.

it'll be ATi DX9 vs ATi DX11 maybe compared to few DX10 nvidia screens. they will be uncompressed PNGs :)

if anti aliasing is possible in DX11, i'll try to do some anti aliasing comparisons too.

Xpliskin

I'm trying to play the demo on Xbox Live. Is it normal that there are no players around ? It says "1 player in game, waiting for 1 more player" for like forever.

todahawk

Xpliskin said:
I'm trying to play the demo on Xbox Live. Is it normal that there are no players around ? It says "1 player in game, waiting for 1 more player" for like forever.

I re-downloaded the PS3 demo (for the fixes) and while I was able to get into a few matches and have some fun, I still had to wait about 4-5 minutes on occasion.

MMaRsu

Xpliskin said:

Had the same problems with the demo.. not with the full game :).

I was playing the demo on my PS3 a couple days ago with mmy friend and we were having a blast. I will be buying this game. Being the predator rocks lol:D :lol

kamspy

Trying not to impulse buy on Steam.

I LOVE the Alien cannon, but the demo turned me off to the game.

BUT, I don't want this game for MP.

Wish there was a SP demo....

Anyone know where I can watch a nice long chunk of SP footage?

Despite all the negative reviews and hating the dm demo, I'm gonna steam this since a buddy is going to as well and we used to love the original.

Top Bottom