• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alinea: My dining experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

I'm just glad we all agree that taking pictures in a restaurant is tacky at best and more likely an affront to the social practice of dining.

Of course we're all degenerate hypocrites because we love to look at the pictures.

luoapp

mac said:
I'm just glad we all agree that taking pictures in a restaurant is tacky at best and more likely an affront to the social practice of dining.

Of course we're all degenerate hypocrites because we love to look at the pictures.

That's why we have food critic/blogger.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
LOL at the jokers in this thread. People spend hundreds if not thousands on video games, figurines, and all sorts of consumerist crap every month and a guy goes out for a fancy meal and people shit his thread up.

What if somebody posted "I'd rather buy a tv" after someone's mega-pickup post. They'd get banned.

OP, congrats, I fully believe in going out to at least 1 super fancy meal per year. We only live once.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
mac said:
It's fine as long as you ask beforehand and aren't being a complete ass distracting the rest of the place with a bunch of flashes going off or making a scene.

Granted the pics I took at French Laundry weren't exactly in focus because I couldn't use a flash, but we were doing our best at being courteous and not trying to affect other diners in the room.

Are we ever going to get that fine-dining-gaf thread going?

mediterranean-hands-free-flavors-al.jpg

$1500 plz.

luoapp

weekend_warrior said:
[/IMG]http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt234/ElaineLim/Alinea%20Spring%202010/mediterranean-hands-free-flavors-al.jpg[/IMG]

$1500 plz.

That's actually worth about 10 dollars.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Christ people, it's not like he paid all that money for just that one course. :p

The final damage is actually pretty damn reasonable for 4 people.

From my FL post when 3 of us went last Feb:

IMG_0233.jpg

Javaman said:
For the wine parings I'm assuming it was just a small dash? Otherwise I would hate to get buzzed up halfway though and miss the nuances.

The wine pairings weren't for every course, but they were by no means a "small" dash. There were probably 14 glasses of wine, and each were multiple sips; the goblet I showed a pic of with the Tournedo dish was probably LESS then the average wine pairing. Plus they kept refilling the wine pairings too.

The two that got the wine pairings were thoroughly drunk. Granted one was a small Asian girl, but the other was a pretty big guy. That was really the main reason why I didn't get the pairings... not so much for the cost, but I wanted to really taste EVERYTHING and be in a (relatively) sound state to appreciate it.

Nikodemos

Plus they kept refilling the wine pairings too.
That's a failing on the restaurant's part. I know the American culture of "free refills", but alcoholic drinks should never be included, especially when one needs all his/her wits about in order to properly appreciate the experience. Getting sauced up diminishes the whole thing. One glass (or even snifter, in some cases) per couple of courses (assuming the wine pairs up correctly) should be more than enough. In your stead, I'd discuss this with the maitre d'.

TheMan

it sounds interesting, but the pretentiousness of food like this (this pile of weeds is a luxurious salad!) is cringeworthy

coldfoot

Banned
Actually $200-300 is not too bad for something that you spend 5 hours at and leave fully satisfied. I'd like to try this sometime, but I think there are far too many different flavors on there and I'm sure to dislike a portion of them and I don't know if my stomach can handle it. It's like combining the different tastes of all you'll eat in a month in a single meal.

Maxxan

Things like this are the only downside to being a vegetarian =( No mather how affluent I become, I will never experience michelin star cooking.

Vesmir

Banned
That's a failing on the restaurant's part. I know the American culture of "free refills", but alcoholic drinks should never be included, especially when one needs all his/her wits about in order to properly appreciate the experience. Getting sauced up diminishes the whole thing. One glass (or even snifter, in some cases) per couple of courses (assuming the wine pairs up correctly) should be more than enough. In your stead, I'd discuss this with the maitre d'.

I'm not helping this at all, but you bumped a three year old thread to berate an experience.

Weird necro bump.

You've been waiting 3 years to make this reply?!

no it is not tacky. stop trying to judge ppl on how they live their life. do you judge gay people?

npm0925

I had dinner at Alinea in December of last year. The bill came out to close to $1000 for 2 with the "lmited" wine pairing (which seemed to be about 10 - 12 glasses of wine). A lot of the 3 Michelin star restaurants need to sell the wine to stay afloat, so you can negotiate on the price for it. Anyway, the best way to describe this meal is to liken it to a magic show; presentation is just as important as taste, and alcohol makes the illusion more seamless. It was without a doubt the best meal of my life.

If anyone wants to sample the experience without blowing an ENTIRE paycheck, you can check the Aviary in the West Loop. It's a cocktail bar with very limited food, but it's from same folks behind Alinea. The drinks run are all $17+, but most are an experience and taste great.

Congrats.

We have a modern cuisine place that opened up down town. I hit them up once every month or two. It's pricey, usually about $200 if I go all out, but each and every time it's been worth it. Glad you got to enjoy it. We're opening an office in Chicago soon so maybe I'll get to go.

I go to Shanghai next year. We're going to lay over in Tokyo and plan to visit Sukiyabashi Jiro. Really looking forward to it.

Stayed in New York recently and got to eat a bunch of great food, especially in Chinatown.

qazqaNii

1502, wow thought it would cost a maximum of 200, due to the little food they "place" on your plate.

.Nope I am fine with rice, potatos, chicken and meat.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I would definitely wanna try something like this out. Not even as a flaky "when you win the lottery you'll do this" thing but as an actual "save up some money slowly and eventually do this" thing.

1502, wow thought it would cost a maximum of 200, due to the little food they "place" on your plate.

It was like $300 per person. I know I wouldn't mind going alone. And it's not something you would do every weekend or even every month lol

I would love to go to Alinea. I adore tastings, especially with wine pairings. Seeing/experiencing anything taken to the heights of their trade is a delight. And looking at their menu online, the pricetag for the tasting seems pretty comparable to other nice places I've been to. I'm in! ... As soon as I get another job and somehow find myself in Chicago. :D

Nikodemos

How the hell did this thread end up among my search results?

I was looking for "squab" (culinary term for pigeon meat) and ended up necro-posting. Da fuq.

Talon

You have 13-18 courses. The "small" portions add up quickly.

Every tasting menu I've had, I've been super satisfied by the 3rd or 2nd to last plate.

How the hell did this thread end up among my search results?

I was looking for "squab" (culinary term for pigeon meat) and ended up necro-posting. Da fuq.

SUPER necro-posting. :D I got to read an interesting dining experience, though, so thanks.

You have 13-18 courses. The "small" portions add up quickly.

Every tasting menu I've had, I've been super satisfied by the 3rd or 2nd to last plate.

I'm usually topped by the 5th or 6th plate in. People always comment on the portion size like you're being swindled, but the food is really, really rich (and delicious), and in tastings they build to incredible heights. Incredibly full belly heights.

Crazy necro-bump. But 3 years out, and I still vividly remember this dinner and have amazing memories of it. Not a single regret at all.

kick51

Banned
it sounds interesting, but the pretentiousness of food like this (this pile of weeds is a luxurious salad!) is cringeworthy

when you're an adult trying to impress someone it's different.

Crazy necro-bump. But 3 years out, and I still vividly remember this dinner and have amazing memories of it. Not a single regret at all.

I'm currently working on someone who seems Alinea-worthy, I hope I get to go finally :)

highrider

Banned
Girls are really known to bash guys for "pretentious" restaurant choices. fucking shut ins, i swear

edit: and since this is the internet and i'm missing that you're agreeing with me, my bad :x

I'm not agreeing so much as pointing out something. It's cool if you feel that's the move to impress women, but I urge you to consider the character content of an individual that finds that impressive.

I'm glad this was bumped, I didn't see it the first time around. Nice write-up.

I'd recommend Catbird Seat in Nashville for folks wanting a similar experience for less money. The chefs are Alinea alumni, and a seat is $100 plus $60 for drink pairing (which is well worth it).

I'm not agreeing so much as pointing out something. It's cool if you feel that's the move to impress women, but I urge you to consider the character content of an individual that finds that impressive.
The character of someone who values unique experiences and good taste is questionable?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Say for a special occasion...I could afford this. But this is not for me. Rather spend my hard earned on more lasting memories.

Cool pictures though OP. Interesting read.

Fred-87

In my homecity there is a world-famous restaurant where you gotta book around 1 year in advance to get a table. its crazy. Good thing is that its not such expensive in comparison to other fancy restaurants.

highrider

Banned
The character of someone who values unique experiences and good taste is questionable?

If it's being done to impress someone, yes. I didn't like the way he said that at all. Also in the same sentence he talks about a girl that might be worthy of this experience. Sounds elitist and very pretentious to me.

To chime in on the whole pretentiousness:

There are a lo-oot of old school Haute places that are super stuffy and make you feel uncomfortable. I'd argue that Alinea and Achatz's other places, despite the price tag, are not like that. It's surprisingly loose and a lot of fun.

highrider

Banned
To chime in on the whole pretentiousness:

There are a lo-oot of old school Haute places that are super stuffy and make you feel uncomfortable. I'd argue that Alinea and Achatz's other places, despite the price tag, are not like that. It's surprisingly loose and a lot of fun.

I'm not slamming the restaurant. Just the reasoning for going there. If you genuinely enjoy the food and it's worth the money to you have at it. But when you say this is what adults do to impress people..

There are a lo-oot of old school Haute places that are super stuffy and make you feel uncomfortable.

I actually morphed into a 87 year old Frenchman when I was at Le Veau d'Or.

But when you say this is what adults do to impress people..

Well, you do. Impress your soon to be in laws? Take them to a nice restaurant. Impress participants in a business deal? Take them to a fancy restaurant. The ability to pick and treat someone to a magnificent restaurant is a good quality.

highrider

Banned
Well, you do. Impress your soon to be in laws? Take them to a nice restaurant. Impress participants in a business deal? Take them to a fancy restaurant. The ability to pick and treat someone to a magnificent restaurant is a good quality.

Then I shall remain unimpressive.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fine dining is one of the most satisfying ways to dispose of your disposable income. The earlier comparison to going to a live show is on point. This is not about filling your belly (though that happens too), it's about the synergy of presentation and sensation, and experiencing a broad, unique set of tastes that you aren't going to manage elsewhere.

I'm not slamming the restaurant. Just the reasoning for going there. If you genuinely enjoy the food and it's worth the money to you have at it. But when you say this is what adults do to impress people..

Yes, because it's goddamned impressive.

Giggzy

I see nothing wrong with trying to impress someone. Just like animals do exotic dances or fight each other to win a females companionship, this is the human way of doing the same.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you have the money for it, more power to you. Not any different than spending it on anything else.
Necro-bumping a three year old thread is generally looked down on, Nick. But you get a pass this time since most are still interested in discussion.

Lazyslob

Banned
I think what people don't realize from looking at the pictures (besides the sheer quantity of food you're eating) is that the food at restaurants like this is very filling--high in fat, carbs and sugar. I would be pretty damn surprised if you weren't stuffed after all this plus wine pairings.

Maybe you don't realize how bad some peoples are diets are. I eat nothing but fat, carbs and sugar. This wont fill me up and at dat price, no thanks.

Minus_Me

That seems totally reasonable at 300 a person. Going to be worth it to some and not to others. Why should anyone judge a person that is willing to spend the cash?

Metrotab

Banned
I'd love to do this with my friends one day. Sounds like a great experience.

I'm a bit picky with food, but seeing how the courses are generally small, I don't think it'd be much of an issue. Might even open up new tastes to discover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom