• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alinea: My dining experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espresso

Banned
I find it funny that video game nerds are lambasting a man for enjoying a luxurious tasting menu, when next month said nerds are going to drop twice as much on more video game machines and software.

Talon

The thing is, Nick Kokonas has mentioned this a couple of times, Alinea's very much close to break even due to the level of ingredients and preparation that goes into every plate. I believe he said they wouldn't be profitable without the wine pairings. El Bulli was the same.

I mean, think about it, the seatings for 2 take up at least 3 hours. Your seating for 4 took up 5 hours. You open at 7, it's not a particularly large place, and you can really only do two to three waves a night.

They put out a video into the preparation for the Hot Cold Potato, and it was a ton of effort for one fun bite.

Shared plates places - like The Publican - are much more profitable apparently.

But tasting menus are more than about the food, although it's absolutely great and, when you're eating at Alinea or The French Laundry, you're certainly enjoying the best ingredients. I mean, damn, look at those black truffles. Eating is one component of it.

And Alinea is in no way stuffy, based on people I've talked to that eat there. Chicago as a whole is not a stuffy dining experience at all, unless you're eating at Naha or Everest.

Correct. Wine is basically where all of these super haute restaurants make their money. All these restaurants started disappearing/losing money when the economy hit the tank. Just no way of slimming down to bear through it.

rinse82

Looks amazing.

Best meal I ever had was at Le Cinq in the Four Seasons in Paris. Was for my 1 year wedding anniversary. Gastronomical heaven.

People judging on here are funny. Try it first please.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
it sounds interesting, but the pretentiousness of food like this (this pile of weeds is a luxurious salad!) is cringeworthy

lol pretentious food

1502, wow thought it would cost a maximum of 200, due to the little food they "place" on your plate.

.Nope I am fine with rice, potatos, chicken and meat.

That's just sad then. I pity people who can't appreciate good food, since it's one of the most joyful experiences in life.

Great post, even if its years old. I've done a few tasting menus in my time but Eleven Madison Park about 2 or 3 years ago right when they got their 3rd Michelin star was the highlight of my food experience. Highly regarded palates at the time called it the best dining experience in the US and I can't disagree. Alinea is on my list when I next get to Chicago.

I enjoy this kind of food but can also appreciate tin shack BBQ or Chinatown dim sum. If you have a true appreciation for food you can have great experiences at any price point.

Talon

Great post, even if its years old. I've done a few tasting menus in my time but Eleven Madison Park about 2 or 3 years ago right when they got their 3rd Michelin star was the highlight of my food experience. Highly regarded palates at the time called it the best dining experience in the US and I can't disagree. Alinea is on my list when I next get to Chicago.

I enjoy this kind of food but can also appreciate tin shack BBQ or Chinatown dim sum. If you have a true appreciation for food you can have great experiences at any price point.
Yep.

Obviously they'd give you less portions...
Many have the option of fewer-course tasting menues or just an entree. It's pretty much the following logic: "I am paying for the time of a very skilled kitchen staff. I want to experience the widest variety of foods that I can while I have the abilities of these guys to prepare food." Its as much about entertainment as eating.

I find it funny that video game nerds are lambasting a man for enjoying a luxurious tasting menu, when next month said nerds are going to drop twice as much on more video game machines and software.

Because every person calling this kind of thing decadent also has a huge monthly habit in gaming, or anime figures, or selvage jeans, or audiophile gear, or toy dogs, or faberge eggs, or whatever.

Some people prefer a simple lifestyle. If you enjoy decadence, at least own it.

Otheradam

For the guys saying "small portions" if you got a regular portion of every dish for 26 courses you'd be stuffed by course 6. And they'd have to charge you way more that 300 per person. It's small portions because you are trying a lot of stuff and by the end you WILL be full.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Since the thread was bumped recently anyway...

Real Kitchen dresses up as Alinea for halloween
http://vimeo.com/77976339

hFiPKkM.jpg

kick51

Banned
I'm not agreeing so much as pointing out something. It's cool if you feel that's the move to impress women, but I urge you to consider the character content of an individual that finds that impressive.

first, apologies for the "fucking shut ins" part

second, taking that one character trait in a vacuum (likes weird as fuck, decadent restaurants) and damning the rest of them for it would be a pretty shitty and immature thing to do. A good person will recognize when you're trying to do something nice out of the kindness of your heart. If you're doing it as a last ditch effort or in an effort to make them like you/sleep with you, that's obviously a bad look. A random "hey, i got reservations at Alinea, lets go eat some weird shit" for someone you love because you know they'd find that kind of thing fun is nice.

basically, it shouldn't be your first move or your last one.

Ekdrm2d1

first, apologies for the "fucking shut ins" part

second, taking that one character trait in a vacuum (likes weird as fuck, decadent restaurants) and damning the rest of them for it would be a pretty shitty and immature thing to do. A good person will recognize when you're trying to do something nice out of the kindness of your heart. If you're doing it as a last ditch effort or in an effort to make them like you/sleep with you, that's obviously a bad look. A random "hey, i got reservations at Alinea, lets go eat some weird shit" for someone you love because you know they'd find that kind of thing fun is nice.

basically, it shouldn't be your first move or your last one.

Thinking about taking a friend out to fine dining. No sex needed.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Please make a new thread. There's no reason to bump this for a tangentially related restaurant question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom