• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

almost 50% of IGN readers happy about Gran Turismo 4 missing online functionality

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
<damage>
You're premiere title isn't even playable online? What kinda message does that send?

<damage control>
Online isn't that big anyway.

Take your pick.

Solid

I don't care about online play so yeah, I'm pretty happy I'll get to play the game this december.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
GT4 Noline Damage Control #37 -

GT3 can be had for cheap and I wasn't going to get another GT game until the PS3 anyway.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
almost 50% of ign readers thought the number 1 is being the most disappointed.

29.4% read it correctly :p

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DCharlie said:
i don't get it

"WOW - a function has been removed! THAT'S AWESOME!!!"

???

I hope the assumption is that they're happy it was removed in order to ship on time. Otherwise I'm with you.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DCharlie said:
i don't get it

"WOW - a function has been removed! THAT'S AWESOME!!!"

???

IAWTP, i think it proves that at least 50% of ign readers dont actually read the poll before responding.

calder

I'm sure most ppl saying they're happy are happy because they get it sooner and they don't have the BBA anyway. For the vast majority of GT fans its clear they'd think shipping it on time without online is the lesser of two evils.

I myself would have picked 5... I want to race online with GT4 and that's going to be the one I buy but I'm almost happy I'll be able to just rent/borrow the non-online version this year even though ideally I'd prefer to wait for one complete version.

Kudie

I don't really mind about GT4 not being on-line because I know that there will eventually be an online version of the game. However, I do not like the idea of possibly paying twice for the game, one for off-line and then again for on-line. I hope that Sony decides to sell the on-line version for $20 to $30, like Sega did with Sega GT 2002.

Another thing to take into account is that this delay of on-line will give PD more time to improve the on-line aspect of the game, which knowing how detailed PD is, is not a bad thing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't care what IGN or their readers think. I only care what I think, and I think Sony and/or Polyphony can go suck a cock for removing online play.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
No online play makes no difference to me, either, though it seems vaguely dumb that they delayed the game to fix a feature that they then dropped.

WarPig

One wonders when they made the decision to can online play. I'm betting at least as far back as E3. By midsummer, they had to know that they needed to get beta testing going to make a 2004 ship.

DFS.

B E N K E

It's pretty obvious that far less than 50% would have played it online anyway so it makes sense that people aren't upset.

snapty00

Banned
WarPig said:
One wonders when they made the decision to can online play. I'm betting at least as far back as E3. By midsummer, they had to know that they needed to get beta testing going to make a 2004 ship.

DFS.
Just taking a stab here, I'd say that they didn't really make a "firm" decision until rather recently. By early this year, I'm sure things weren't looking too hot for it, but I have a feeling that they were still hopeful at that time and still thought it was a possibility.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm going to say it again - if this was a big name Xbox game, it would be crucified for having no online play.

So are PS2 games exempt from the expectation that they should (and in this case was announced to) be online?

i can imagine the uproar from the Ps2 fans if it was announced that Forza was going to be offline...

yet this GT4, a franchise X time that prestige, and most people aren't batting an eyelid.

neptunes

:lol

This reminds me of the Poll conducted atgamefaqs about nintendo going online.

about 80% said online wasn't needed,

DCharlie

"It goes online in 2005. Stop whining."

3 years they've had, i don't see anyone else struggling to implement on line play.

If that's not something to be concerned about, then i dunno what is.

I'll call it now. You won't see an online GT4.

DCharlie said:
"It goes online in 2005. Stop whining."

3 years they've had, i don't see anyone else struggling to implement on line play.

If that's not something to be concerned about, then i dunno what is.

I'll call it now. You won't see an online GT4.

They didn't even really pay attention to the online till last year. In interviews up until then Kaz really didn't even bother talking about the feature. When he finnaly started talking about it the online sounded nothing more than like a simple 6 player race, nothing really in depth like other racers. Then in later interviews he started bringing up the idea of starting up a GT community online which is when he seemed to actually be interested in the idea.

Tellaerin

DCharlie said:
i'm going to say it again - if this was a big name Xbox game, it would be crucified for having no online play.

So are PS2 games exempt from the expectation that they should (and in this case was announced to) be online?

i can imagine the uproar from the Ps2 fans if it was announced that Forza was going to be offline...

yet this GT4, a franchise X time that prestige, and most people aren't batting an eyelid.

Might have something to do with the fact that the Xbox has been aggressively positioned as the console to buy for online gaming. So you have correspondingly higher expectations for online support in most or all titles released for the system.

DCharlie

"Might have something to do with the fact that the Xbox has been aggressively positioned as the console to buy for online gaming. So you have correspondingly higher expectations for online support in most or all titles released for the system."

I expect at least the same support for the PS2 given that Sony have sold way more broadband adapters than MS has Xboxes, and have way more online console games players (according to Sony's own figures).

SolidSnakex said:
They didn't even really pay attention to the online till last year. In interviews up until then Kaz really didn't even bother talking about the feature. When he finnaly started talking about it the online sounded nothing more than like a simple 6 player race, nothing really in depth like other racers. Then in later interviews he started bringing up the idea of starting up a GT community online which is when he seemed to actually be interested in the idea.
So you see guys, it's actually really awesome.

PS2 KID

Sony should start a Playstation Live type service and start charging people 50 dollars a year. Recurring revenue would definitely help fund the transition to online for them. They also need the money to hire more programmers and artists for Polyphony Digital so we can get the other 650 cars they couldn't fit into the game (Online too ;) ). Now that they are packing in/building in a network adapter into the PS2 they really need to sell something else to pick up the slack. A Playstation Live service would fit the bill perfectly.

shpankey

not an idiot
i'm still split about all of this. in some ways i'm happy i'm getting the game sooner, in some ways i'm mad i will end up having to buy the game twice and maybe have to be switching disks and bullshit like that (online with one disk, single with another?). just seems like sony is milking this game for all they can get out of it. basically... it feels like sony is double dipping with their hottest inhouse property, and in a lot of ways, it really pisses me off.

although it sucks because truly i am their slave with this game... i am just to big of a sim racer to deny them my sale, they have me wrapped around their pinky, i hate that, but it's how it is. :/

it's like this love/hate thing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just love it and you'll feel a lot better. You act like you are forced to sell your soul to the evil. ;)

ChrisReid

Yeah, these poll results are pretty messed up. Can you imagine if they just suddenly announced Halo 2 wouldn't be online?

DCharlie

well, i assume now that would be accepted as okay by all the PS2 fans, as long as the Xbox fans get an online version some time in the next year, right?

PS2 KID

You would have to ask Halo fans if they want it this year (without online play) or do they want to wait till next year for online play? Tough choice for them. I'm not the patient kind so I would go with choice A. Others won't even touch the game unless it's online. Bungie should set up a poll. :D

DCharlie

"You would have to ask Halo fans if they want it this year (without online play) or do they want to wait till next year for online play? Tough choice for them. I'm not the patient kind so I would go with choice A. Others won't even touch the game unless it's online. Bungie should set up a poll. "

the thing is - the Halo 2 project has been well planned, so that eventuality is highly unlikely ;).

I'd want online play personally - Halo was great off line, but it was all about LAN play, but that isn't that practical. It would drive me insane, i'd want it all together. For GT4, I'm guessing that the issues with online play wouldn't have just resulted in a few months delay - because if that had been the case then i think they would have delayed.

border

Halo 2 with single-player + LAN would be absolutely fine with me, if it really were an issue of missing the 2004 release....

I'm assuming that the problem isn't just about getting the GT4 network code working, but providing a fun, balanced online experience. The problem being that Gran Turismo multiplayer has always been unbalanced, generally favoring one make of car, generally favoring whoever sinks the most money into that particular make. If it's just a competition to see who can buy the most upgrades or jack their horsepower up the highest, then it might as well not be there at all. There's also the issue of people using their GameSharks offline to produce monster-vehicles that will be unbeatable online..

shpankey

not an idiot
what they should of did is instea of that damn b-spec bullshit that only a few people will even screw with, is instead spent all that time doin the online bit. then they could of added the b-spec in an upgrade disk. but you know what? they didn't do that on purpose, because you know for a fact nobody would have paid for a dumbass b-spec mode, and that's exactly why they didn't. to be honest, it's hard to argue against sony not doing the double dipping on purpose. money hungry greedy ass bitches ;) they knew people would literally pay them all over again for the same damn game with online added in.

border

Well obviously, B-Spec is a great deal easier to prepare than a full-fledged online community. I think the delay is ridiculous, but Gran Turismo has a lot more considerations than the arcade racers it's being compared to. The question of "realism versus balance" weighs heavily, and I'm curious to see how it will all be sorted out.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DCharlie said:
well, i assume now that would be accepted as okay by all the PS2 fans, as long as the Xbox fans get an online version some time in the next year, right?

Well I certainly wouldn't care. Platform makes no difference as far as whether online play is good/bad is concerned. The game does to a certain extent, and a lot of emphasis on Halo 2 has been put on its (online) multiplayer features - more so than GT4, so I can see a few people being more annoyed, but that's about it.

Chi-Town

PS2 KID said:
You would have to ask Halo fans if they want it this year (without online play) or do they want to wait till next year for online play? Tough choice for them. I'm not the patient kind so I would go with choice A. Others won't even touch the game unless it's online. Bungie should set up a poll. :D

Bad example. Halo 2, despite never having an official release date, did get pushed back a couple of times so it's conceivable that the reason it's coming in November of 2004 is because they did hold it back to make sure they got online play in order.

Ranger X

What i understand from this all is that this thread should be named "more than 50% of IGN readers are pissed that online as been removed from GT4".
It shows. I still think it's the WDOTY (worst decision of the year) in gaming.

No. Thread topic misleading. 50% of IGN readers "surveyed" are pissed. I don't even give a shit about GT4 so I wouldn't take part in such a poll.

Top Bottom