• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost Human; Stars Karl Urban. Produced by J.J. Abrams. Has Androids. Cop Drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

UFxGO7W.jpg

Fox said:
From Emmy Award-winning executive producer J.J. Abrams (“Fringe,” “Lost,” “Revolution,” “Person of Interest,” the “Star Trek” and “Mission: Impossible” franchises) and creator/executive producer J.H. Wyman (“Fringe,” “The Mexican”), comes ALMOST HUMAN. Starring Karl Urban ( the “Star Trek” and “The Lord of the Rings” franchises”) and Golden Globe Award nominee Michael Ealy (“Sleeper Cell,” “Common Law”), the new series is an action-packed police procedural set 35 years in the future, when police officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids.

The year is 2048. Meet Detective JOHN KENNEX (Urban), a cop who survived one of the most catastrophic attacks ever made against the police department. After waking up from a 17-month coma, he can't remember much – except that his partner was killed, he lost one of his legs and he is now outfitted with a highly sophisticated synthetic appendage.

Suffering from depression, mental atrophy, trauma-onset OCD, PTSD and the “psychological rejection of his synthetic body part,” John returns to work at the behest of longtime ally Captain SANDRA MALDONADO (Emmy Award nominee Lili Taylor, “Six Feet Under,” “Ransom”). By mandate, every cop must partner with a robot. And despite his passionate aversion to androids, John is paired up with a battle-ready MX-43. But he abruptly terminates his partnership after the robot discovers incriminating information about him. So technician RUDY LOM (Mackenzie Crook, “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise) introduces John to DORIAN (Ealy), a discontinued android with unexpected emotional responses. Although such responses were deemed flaws, it is in these “flaws” that John relates to Dorian most. After all, John is part-machine now, and Dorian is part-human. John and Dorian's understanding of each other not only complements them, it connects them.

As he adjusts to working with his new partner, John also must learn to get along with his new colleagues, including the sharp and insightful human intelligence analyst Detective VALERIE STAHL (Minka Kelly, “Friday Night Lights,” “(500) Days of Summer”) and the distrustful Detective RICHARD PAUL (Michael Irby, “Law Abiding Citizen,” “The Unit”), who does not welcome John back with open arms.

ALMOST HUMAN will follow the week-to-week missions of John and Dorian, as they fight crime across this futuristic landscape, while the mysteries surrounding John's attack and the larger mythology of this new world unfold.

ALMOST HUMAN is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc., in association with Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series was created by J.H. Wyman, who wrote the pilot. The series is executive-produced by J.J. Abrams, Wyman and Bryan Burk. Kathy Lingg (“Person of Interest,” “Revolution,” “Fringe”) and Reid Shane (“Fringe”) are co-executive producers. Brad Anderson (“Fringe,” “The Killing”) directed and served as co-executive producer on the pilot.

The Cast

Karl Urban as John Kennex
Michael Ealy as Dorian
Lili Taylor as Captain Maldonado
Mackenzie Crook as Rudy Lom
Michael Irby as Richard Paul
Minka Kelly as Valerie Stahl

Videos

First 8 Minutes of the pilot:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/550476

Promo Clips from the official Fox youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FoxBroadcasting/search?query=almost+human

BVJEsgX.gif

dosh

Mackenzie Crook!

Also:
Suffering from depression, mental atrophy, trauma-onset OCD, PTSD and the “psychological rejection of his synthetic body part,” John returns to work
Brooding Karl Urban is best Karl Urban.

Guy.brush

Let me guess:
Turns out he is an android.

either that or there is a secret corporate conspiracy to take over the police force all across the country with a specially designed android with a flipswitch for remote control.

Kaladin

I'll be watching because I'm a sucker for sci-fi, but it almost seems like JJ Abrams is doing too much these days.

I reaaaaly hope this is good, but I have no faith in anything J.J. Abrams stands next to. He can still be alright, but the general J.J. tropes he encourages make me angry.

So I'll be watching, albeit cautiously.

Tom_Cody

Aww damn, I wanted to make this OT :(

Also the show has been pushed back to Nov 17.
Sorry about that. I was originally just going to post about the hulu pilot preview clip but I decided to make a thread when I saw that there wasn't any sort of hype thread.

I won't complain if you want to make an actual OT closer to the premier date.

Fox has been hyping the shit out of this show during football and the World Series. I'll give it a go, but I have a feeling it is doomed to failure.

TheOddOne

Sorry about that. I was originally just going to post about the hulu pilot preview clip but I decided to make a thread when I saw that there wasn't any sort of hype thread.

I won't complain if you want to make an actual OT closer to the premier date.
No problems, man :)

I already got most of the OT done, but only need to add the media links.
Note: OP is best seen in Default Theme.​
jbvaJaKnTtteHP.png

izYLyKph9f8aI.gif

j3ox7yxgag5WR.png

jFVuXJnT3zHB2.png

jgujpV0JhBSJC.png

jiadRi1y9kCTN.png

j7zxhwjbVT4e2.png

jbqCni7zSoP2ER.png
If you like we could collab and I'll send you the full body so you could use it as OP.

Tom_Cody

No problems, man :)

I already got most of the OT done, but only need to add the media links.

If you like we could collab and I'll send you the full body so you could use it as OP.
Great work! Now I really feel bad about jumping the gun with this thread.

Just PM me the full body when you're done and I'll edit it in. I will let you know if I have anything to add but your work looks pretty good as it stands.

ivysaur12

Banned
Will be canceled after 5 episodes, I guarantee it.

It's really, really unlikely it will be.

Personally, I don't like Karl Urban and thought he over acted the crap out the pilot. And Minka Kelly, bleh. Michael Ealy is the real story here -- he's fantastic. Still, the pilot is *fine*, I guess, but there's a decent amount of potential.

zma1013

If they were going to have Karl Urban as a cop in a futuristic setting, why not just make it Dredd the TV series?

TheOddOne

Great work! Now I really feel bad about jumping the gun with this thread.

Just PM me the full body when you're done and I'll edit it in. I will let you know if I have anything to add but your work looks pretty good as it stands.

Yeah, I'll PM you a week before the premiere.

zma1013

I'd much rather have something original than another TV series based off of a film property or a reboot, wouldn't you?

I'd rather have something already established as awesome like the Karl Urban Dredd universe which hasn't been explored nearly enough if you ask me and it doesn't look like we'll be getting another one of those movies.

Besides, JJ's last couple of TV projects were Alcatraz, which was another mediocre attempt at trying to recapture the magic Lost formula again, and Revolution, which despite having stellar commercial success, is such a bad, bad show with bad acting and recycled plotlines from previous shows. How a show with the most annoying main character ever conceived does so well is beyond me.

Vlodril

Woman on the right is doing the kyle bosman stance(funny how i see that in everything now:). Also 35 years in the future people dress the same apparently.

Kidding aside i am up for anything sci-fi. We certainly need more series in the genre.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'd rather have something already established as awesome like the Karl Urban Dredd universe which hasn't been explored nearly enough if you ask me and it doesn't look like we'll be getting another one of those movies.

Besides, JJ's last couple of TV projects were Alcatraz, which was another mediocre attempt at trying to recapture the magic Lost formula again, and Revolution, which despite having stellar commercial success, is such a bad, bad show with bad acting and recycled plotlines from previous shows. How a show with the most annoying main character ever conceived does so well is beyond me.

The world has enough reboots, sequels, and films and TV shows based off of existing properties. We don't need to continue the uninspired march towards mediocrity, even if the source material is solid. We're doing way too much of that and have to stop.

Also, JJ doesn't create shows anymore. He doesn't write them. He stamps his name on them. You're also not watching Revolution this season, which from almost all in this thread, is significantly better. And no, it's not a success at all.

ShaneB

I was wondering if there was a thread for this, I'll certainly check it out.

Wish it was on a network like HBO though to really flesh out the concept, but ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom