• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Playing this now and I love it, but fuck the lock picking on this game with a controller. I have to switch back to KB&M to pick lock in this game. But that is my only gripe with the game at all.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Playing this now and I love it, but fuck the lock picking on this game with a controller. I have to switch back to KB&M to pick lock in this game. But that is my only gripe with the game at all.
I actually find the lock picking to be kinda of fun with the controller.

dragonlife said:
I actually find the lock picking to be kinda of fun with the controller.
It might be that I am using Motionjoy and my DS3 but the sensitivity is way off only during lock picking. Gently squeezing L2 sends sends it shooting up and releasing drops it down full speed no middle ground.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I had the same problem, Xeno_Flux. It was damn near impossible, so I switched to KBM for them as well.

Someone posted this a few pages back:

Found a solution to this. If you're using Motionjoy, upgrade to the latest version (6.0004 or whatever) and then go to options and change the threshold of whatever buttons you've got set to for LT/RT to zero (default is at 64 which means a considerable deadzone).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
MaddenNFL64 said:
Why? WTF.

Also, yes. This is by far the best conversation system around. They should try making another of these contemporary spy thrillers, if we can't have AP2.

Indeed. I don't want publishers to think that because Alpha Protocol was a commercial failure, that the spy genre does not work.

I think it was caused due to the terrible management of Sega for advertising and managing the game's development resources. But still, Alpha Protocol is one of those games that if it had been released before (about 2005 or so) it would've been considered good and had not been attacked as it was attacked when it was released.

Shame, because I love espionage games. I'm a total sucker for those kind of games.

Rikkun

I also had troubles with lockpicking with motionjoy, I just bought tons of that automatic lockpickers. I might try it again now that I have a wired 360 joypad..

Jarmel

Banned
So is this worth picking up? I've already seen the god awful reviews but some people seem to think highly of the game. Although going back and reading a few posts make this game out to be utter trash.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So is this worth picking up? I've already seen the god awful reviews but some people seem to think highly of the game. Although going back and reading a few posts make this game out to be utter trash.

Depends. Do you want an full on RPG with RPG systems running the combat? Then Alpha Protocol is for you.

Do you want it to play like a faux shooter ala Mass Effect? Then you'll hate it.

Jarmel

Banned
Depends. Do you want an full on RPG with RPG systems running the combat? Then Alpha Protocol is for you.

Do you want it to play like a faux shooter ala Mass Effect? Then you'll hate it.

Even excluding the combat, what about the rest of the game?

Even excluding the combat, what about the rest of the game?

I think it is one of the most underrated games I've ever played. Everybody seemed to hate it, but even on the PC where you would expect the porting job to just compound the supposed shittiness of the game, it was really enjoyable for me. I actually ended up playing through it twice, which is quite rare for me with single player games. Some of the mechanics are poorly balanced (chain shot) and sometimes the dialogs seem to bug out a bit, but overall, it was a nice mix of old school Bioware conversation systems and hybrid stealth-shooter a la Deus Ex.

Game is awesome- there's a few bugs here and there but nothing gamebreaking.

I'd say just about everything "negative" I've heard about the game comes from a few things:

1.) The combat is definitely grounded in RPG principles. Even if you *think* you've got someone dead to rights, if your skill with a particular weapon isn't high, you're going to miss a good percentage of the time anyway. As someone else said, it's not mass effect. Don't go in charging with shotguns or uzis if all your points are in pistols and vice versa.

2.) The game does not hold your hand. outside of the tutorial stage, there's no opportunity to reallocate your points. You're expected to be highly specialized (and the game doesn't really tell you this,) but if you somehow make the mistake of trying to be a jack of all trades you will screw yourself into making the game very, very difficult. (see point #1)

3.) The game is more non-linear than it looks. You're expected to do a stage or two then fly around the world to another country, and repeat. If you try to clear an entire country at once before moving on, you can and will run into some ludicrously difficult stages and not know why.

4.) mastering stealth is essentially easy-mode. you'll cruise through even the hardest sections if you do this early enough. For some people this is a bad thing.

Other than that- the game is a refreshing change of pace everyone should play. The narrative is good enough to make mass effect and it's ilk look like amateur hour.

What's C&C?

c-n-c-music-factory.jpg
\

Choice and consequence I'm guessing.

Patryn

Game is awesome- there's a few bugs here and there but nothing gamebreaking.

I'd say just about everything "negative" I've heard about the game comes from a few things:

1.) The combat is definitely grounded in RPG principles. Even if you *think* you've got someone dead to rights, if your skill with a particular weapon isn't high, you're going to miss a good percentage of the time anyway. As someone else said, it's not mass effect. Don't go in charging with shotguns or uzis if all your points are in pistols and vice versa.

2.) The game does not hold your hand. outside of the tutorial stage, there's no opportunity to reallocate your points. You're expected to be highly specialized (and the game doesn't really tell you this,) but if you somehow make the mistake of trying to be a jack of all trades you will screw yourself into making the game very, very difficult. (see point #1)

3.) The game is more non-linear than it looks. You're expected to do a stage or two then fly around the world to another country, and repeat. If you try to clear an entire country at once before moving on, you can and will run into some ludicrously difficult stages and not know why.

4.) mastering stealth is essentially easy-mode. you'll cruise through even the hardest sections if you do this early enough. For some people this is a bad thing.

Other than that- the game is a refreshing change of pace everyone should play. The narrative is good enough to make mass effect and it's ilk look like amateur hour.

I cannot stress point 3 enough. The game doesn't do a good job effectively conveying the fact that it wants you to be jumping between locales, but it's balanced so that you save the last mission of a location (when you have the option of multiple locations) for towards the end of the game.

But if you prefer the RPG side of an RPG TPS, then I highly recommend you pick it up. It was my personal GOTY for last year.

Oh, and if you do pick it up, one piece of advice if you're going for a no-kill/goody-goody runthrough (minor location spoiler):
At the mission at the American embassy, there is glitch that if you take a guard out before entering the embassy with a non-lethal takedown, it is still considered a kill for whatever reason. So if you want to avoid kills or looking bad, just avoid the guard completely and go in the first door. After that, you should probably be fine.

I can't remember when it was exactly that I purchased this, but I got it for $2, and I feel like I cheated the devs big time.

This game is really, really fun. I honestly didn't expect to enjoy it as much, since the novelty of stealth games had seemed to wear on me, after playing MGS4. I figured I was likely done with the genre or something. This game proved me oh so wrong.

The stealth stuff actually feels great because of how many ways you can approach any of the scenarios. I still haven't finished Deus Ex (I know, I'm a terrible person), but this feels more like what I wanted from the game. The various ways you can approach each room/scenario and the way my choices really feel weighted (take note, Bioware) is really satisfying. I think one of the strongest impressions so far have been the dialogue trees. I love how it's broken down into your reaction's tone rather than GOOD, NEUTRAL, and BAD options. Keeps me more on my toes and consider more who I'm engaging.

I'm done with my first real mission and in the midst of
Taipei's assassination stuff.
I think I have two missions to wrap up there before I finish it.

johAw.jpg

This is my: "I'm a spy!" face.

I'm rolling as a full on spy, as I figured I would. I wanted to avoid doing soldiery stuff, as it felt like the game was going to be better suited towards spy stuff. I was really cautious and held off on putting all of my points into slots at the start, and I've almost got my stealth stat maxed. I think I'm only three slots away from being max, and that's only stopped because of level cap or whatever keeps you locked out.

Feels great sneaking around, taking people out, and just tranquilizing a few people here and there. So far, I only have three real kills, as I didn't know how to switch ammo for a little while, but I'm going for an all stealth/no kills approach. Well, only two of those were from me shooting them. The third guy got blown up by his ally, but I still got blamed for collateral! WHAT THE HECK, haha.

My only real complaint at this point is, playing it on the pc, the camera has a nasty tendency to jump somewhere else really quickly when in tight quarters. It can be a pain when things are getting tense and suddenly I've lost my sense of direction.

Also, sometimes the AI seems to unfairly notice me, but sometimes they can't see an inch in front of their faces. I was expecting it to be a little hit or miss, but sometimes it's just ridiculous.

Really liking this game, though, and I'm sad I didn't play this sooner.

edit: Just watched the GT review on this, for the heck of it. I'm having a VERY different experience than they did, apparently. I haven't really had an issue with combat (which seemed to be the biggest thing they complained about throughout the entire video) because I'm not going in all crazy. Sneaking has been way more fun than just running around killing looked in that video.

Just picked up the game. Any general suggestions before I start? Is this game pretty hard? I'm tempted to play on easy unless I hear that's a bad idea.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just picked up the game. Any general suggestions before I start? Is this game pretty hard? I'm tempted to play on easy unless I hear that's a bad idea.

There are a few parts that can be kinda tough depending on your build, but they're doable with the right strategy. I didn't face much resistance on normal. I'd recommend that you go with a pistols-focused stealth build or a shotgun/kung fu focused brute force build. With the stealth build, you can avoid enemies all together, many levels can be cleared without any firefights, and with the brute force build you can basically charge through the levels and blast/bash motherfuckers. Both builds are a lot of fun to play. Also, be sure to give Thorton a beard asap.

Unless you suck at games, don't play on Easy. Normal is just fine. Also, build up the melee stat. Very, very useful. I never used weapons :)

Snuggler: Thorton looks bad with a beard. My thorton is the hottest:

9FFB176297402BF110A762AF0A2774A4904276AF

Need to replay it in 1920x1080 goodness and recapture that shot.

I fucking love this game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I can't remember when it was exactly that I purchased this, but I got it for $2, and I feel like I cheated the devs big time.

This game is really, really fun. I honestly didn't expect to enjoy it as much, since the novelty of stealth games had seemed to wear on me, after playing MGS4. I figured I was likely done with the genre or something. This game proved me oh so wrong.

The stealth stuff actually feels great because of how many ways you can approach any of the scenarios. I still haven't finished Deus Ex (I know, I'm a terrible person), but this feels more like what I wanted from the game. The various ways you can approach each room/scenario and the way my choices really feel weighted (take note, Bioware) is really satisfying. I think one of the strongest impressions so far have been the dialogue trees. I love how it's broken down into your reaction's tone rather than GOOD, NEUTRAL, and BAD options. Keeps me more on my toes and consider more who I'm engaging.

I'm done with my first real mission and in the midst of
Taipei's assassination stuff.
I think I have two missions to wrap up there before I finish it.

johAw.jpg

This is my: "I'm a spy!" face.

I'm rolling as a full on spy, as I figured I would. I wanted to avoid doing soldiery stuff, as it felt like the game was going to be better suited towards spy stuff. I was really cautious and held off on putting all of my points into slots at the start, and I've almost got my stealth stat maxed. I think I'm only three slots away from being max, and that's only stopped because of level cap or whatever keeps you locked out.

Feels great sneaking around, taking people out, and just tranquilizing a few people here and there. So far, I only have three real kills, as I didn't know how to switch ammo for a little while, but I'm going for an all stealth/no kills approach. Well, only two of those were from me shooting them. The third guy got blown up by his ally, but I still got blamed for collateral! WHAT THE HECK, haha.

My only real complaint at this point is, playing it on the pc, the camera has a nasty tendency to jump somewhere else really quickly when in tight quarters. It can be a pain when things are getting tense and suddenly I've lost my sense of direction.

Also, sometimes the AI seems to unfairly notice me, but sometimes they can't see an inch in front of their faces. I was expecting it to be a little hit or miss, but sometimes it's just ridiculous.

Really liking this game, though, and I'm sad I didn't play this sooner.

edit: Just watched the GT review on this, for the heck of it. I'm having a VERY different experience than they did, apparently. I haven't really had an issue with combat (which seemed to be the biggest thing they complained about throughout the entire video) because I'm not going in all crazy. Sneaking has been way more fun than just running around killing looked in that video.

You should really consider jumping around from location to location instead of focusing on finishing one completely first. I found it much more enjoyable that way, and having connections with certain NPCs in other areas can score you some unexpected dialogue or intel options.

OK pistols and stealth sounds good. I guess I'll try on normal. I guess you can't change once you start right? I guess I was most concerned about boss fights, I seem to remember hearing there were some tough ones but I could be mistaken.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK pistols and stealth sounds good. I guess I'll try on normal. I guess you can't change once you start right? I guess I was most concerned about boss fights, I seem to remember hearing there were some tough ones but I could be mistaken.

There is one boss fight about 1/2 through the game that tends to give new players trouble, but there's an unlockable ability in the pistols tree that can make it a lot easier. Also, there is an alternative way to deal with the boss, but I won't spoil that for you.

It's the type of game where if you build your character right you can completely break the game. If you build your character wrong, yes, you will have trouble at times, particularly during the boss fights if you build a stealth-oriented character without any direct combat prowess.

Ah. I guess I can see that.

I totally built my Thorton wrong my first time. Went Pistols, Shotgun, and Stealth.

Never used weapons and upgraded Martial Arts (<3 most fun way to play), Toughness, and Stealth (though I regret this one). I mended these mistakes and chose the appropriate stuff my second time (" ", " ", and Technical Aptitude)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Actually, I'm not sure there's any reason to have both stealth and melee, since stealth takedowns don't use your melee skill.

True, but it's a good fit if you're going for a non-lethal run, which kinda goes hand in hand with stealth. Plus, it's always fun to beat the shit out of people. I'd recommend adding pistol skills to the mix since the tranq gun is great for stealth/non-lethal runs.

You should really consider jumping around from location to location instead of focusing on finishing one completely first. I found it much more enjoyable that way, and having connections with certain NPCs in other areas can score you some unexpected dialogue or intel options.
Oh, I didn't realize you could jump around. I figured it was simply "okay, here's three options, pick whichever order you want to go in."

I can't play it again for another week (at home on laptop), but I'm itching to jump back in when I get back to my apartment. Thanks for the advice, XiaNaphryz!

edit: Is there any reward for not killing anyone at the end?
As I mentioned earlier, I botched it when I didn't know how to switch between ammo at the beginning and killed two people. I haven't killed a single person since. Is it purely for your own approach, or is there actual reward?

I hope I didn't mess it up from the get-go. : (

Sober

Yeah pretty much. I'm not great at stealth games.
Unless you started as recruit, you should have all you need by the end of Saudi Arabia, or you can sorta respec by the end of it while specializing.

-Points in stealth to get passive Awareness - this is basically radar and you will never screw up or be surprised by someone. Anything after that is mostly for stealth builds
-Points in pistol for chain shot to obliterate bosses or clear rooms. Otherwise the passives like faster critical acquisition or being able to make a critical shot while hiding in cover (without poking out) is important and good too
-Brilliance is the ability that resets your cooldowns. I think it's in the technical aptitude tree (I might be wrong) - pretty sure the tree starts out with adding ammo to your guns and such.

Also if you are stuck, try jumping to another hub and doing some earlier missions. You have to be super lucky or have a proper build to get it right doing a hub straight from start to end without switching out (I somehow pulled it off my first playthrough but not during my recruit one). Plus you get interesting conversation points and stuff if you swap around rather than sticking to one hub.

Unless you started as recruit, you should have all you need by the end of Saudi Arabia, or you can sorta respec by the end of it while specializing.

-Points in stealth to get passive Awareness - this is basically radar and you will never screw up or be surprised by someone. Anything after that is mostly for stealth builds
-Points in pistol for chain shot to obliterate bosses or clear rooms. Otherwise the passives like faster critical acquisition or being able to make a critical shot while hiding in cover (without poking out) is important and good too
-Brilliance is the ability that resets your cooldowns. I think it's in the technical aptitude tree (I might be wrong) - pretty sure the tree starts out with adding ammo to your guns and such.

Also if you are stuck, try jumping to another hub and doing some earlier missions. You have to be super lucky or have a proper build to get it right doing a hub straight from start to end without switching out (I somehow pulled it off my first playthrough but not during my recruit one). Plus you get interesting conversation points and stuff if you swap around rather than sticking to one hub.

Ok thanks, I'll keep all this in mind.

Is there something that increases the hacking/lockpicking times? Currently in europe, hoping it ain't an all talk hub.

Yes, you'll have to double check though. Its either in Technical Aptitude or Sabotage.

There are also gloves that can increase your stats for that as well.

Top Bottom