• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Adnor

Banned
The game's pretty good, I finished as a Stealthy and goody Thorton, and didn't kill anyone
except Leland when I make him think I was in his side and giving him a mine, that's for ruining my life, you bastard.
I think I will play it again in some months, has a phychopath. I will kill everyone
especially Marburg, If I had the opportunity, I would have killed him in my past run.
EDIT: Also, this was the only bug I had in the game.
5E87F008833AF6887F427C7A6E33A0C85283CC48

That guy was alive...

What the hell is with this game? I started it just now and my mouse does nothing in-game. After some googling, I tried changing something in an .ini file, and now when I start the game and click load game, my checkpoint save is not there.

soultron

Banned
Alpha Protocol brothers and sisters, I just wanted to bump this thread to give you all respect knuckles for playing such an awesome game. If it wasn't for you, I'd have never experienced this shit.

Mass Effect 3 is out and I'm still not sold because this game topped 2 entries in that series based on the writing a
vel
lone.

Zeliard

Been going through it again. Still a hugely enjoyable experience outside of the stupid mouse control during hacking. :p The concept behind hacking in the game is great but why they made one side control so sluggishly with a mouse is beyond me. But it's manageable and the rest is generally good times.

I think the game gets too much shit for its jank. It's janky as hell in terms of things like animation and general production values, and the cover system is kind of a mess, but overall it's janky in the same way Hitman is. Sloppy game mechanics but there is tons of ambition and variance there, so it's easy for me to forgive. I'm going through it for the third time and the game has been largely very bug-free, so I'm inclined to think those who say that all Obsidian games are a buggy mess including this one don't really know what the hell they're talking about (or haven't played the game).

Steven Heck is probably the only time I've ever truly enjoyed Nolan North's voice acting. I've always loved the goofy back-and-forths between him and Thorton if you decide to play along with him.

zkylon

zkylewd
Been going through it again. Still a hugely enjoyable experience outside of the stupid mouse control during hacking. :p The concept behind hacking in the game is great but why they made one side control so sluggishly with a mouse is beyond me. But it's manageable and the rest is generally good times.

I think the game gets too much shit for its jank. It's janky as hell in terms of things like animation and general production values, and the cover system is kind of a mess, but overall it's janky in the same way Hitman is. Sloppy game mechanics but there is tons of ambition and variance there, so it's easy for me to forgive. I'm going through it for the third time and the game has been largely very bug-free, so I'm inclined to think those who say that all Obsidian games are a buggy mess including this one don't really know what the hell they're talking about (or haven't played the game).

Steven Heck is probably the only time I've ever truly enjoyed Nolan North's voice acting. I've always loved the goofy back-and-forths between him and Thorton if you decide to play along with him.
The game's awesome and the jankyness is more than tolerable, specially if you play stealth. What I don't get is why people say the game looks dated or ugly, I think it looks pretty good, the characters have personality to their designs and the wide color range is really refreshing. The animations do suck, but so do most of ME2's.

And while I'm totally an Obsidian fangirl I'd say that the game as a whole is pretty buggy, though. I didn't get many crashes or freezes, but (and I don't know if this counts as the game being buggy) the enemy AI was dreadful at almost all times and they would sometimes just stand still like they brains turned off or something.

Zeliard

The game's awesome and the jankyness is more than tolerable, specially if you play stealth. What I don't get is why people say the game looks dated or ugly, I think it looks pretty good, the characters have personality to their designs and the wide color range is really refreshing. The animations do suck, but so do most of ME2's.

And while I'm totally an Obsidian fangirl I'd say that the game as a whole is pretty buggy, though. I didn't get many crashes or freezes, but (and I don't know if this counts as the game being buggy) the enemy AI was dreadful at almost all times and they would sometimes just stand still like they brains turned off or something.

The enemy AI is generally just unimpressive, but I wouldn't really call it buggy. It's not like the AI is largely solid but they have moments where they act completely off-the-wall. It's consistently mediocre-at-best, with basic line-of-sight and sound stuff that early stealth games did and not much else. They try to vary it up a bit by having different enemy types but it doesn't end up changing too much.

Avellone has admitted to the stealth mechanics and other things not being too hot. I always play it stealth/pistol for headshot fun (and that includes headshots with tranqs) and so the AI, while not very good, doesn't really get in the way too much. Thorton mostly just feels like a dominant badass, able to take out several fools in the blink of an eye.

And I would say the game does look pretty dated, but that's probably due to be given a relatively low budget. The more cinematic scenes are where that becomes the most obvious.

argh the lock picking on the ps3 version with the ps3s shitty triggers is bout to make me rage

Yup. lock picking using the L2 and R2 triggers are SO FREAKING HARD. I always activate alarms because it's just so hard to actually pick locks because of the DS3's "triggers"

Also, in one of the Taiwan missions, one of the checkpoints failed to activate so I had to start over from the beginning several times and it only activated after an hour or so. WTF.

Framerate is ridiculously bad too. A lot of slowdowns and it happens even when you're in a safehouse.

Bugs and unpolished-ness aside though, this game is AWESOME.

Jhoan

Alpha Protocol brothers and sisters, I just wanted to bump this thread to give you all respect knuckles for playing such an awesome game. If it wasn't for you, I'd have never experienced this shit.

Mass Effect 3 is out and I'm still not sold because this game topped 2 entries in that series based on the writing a
vel
lone.

*Bro fist* Even after playing and beating Mass Effect 3, I still think Alpha Protocol is the better game in terms of dialogue and choices. I mean ME3 has a reputation system similar to AP and the combat is great, but it doesn't come close to AP's depth. In ME3, I can't P.O. a character because Shepard responds directly to Admiral Hackett. I can't P.O. every individual character and expect it to have consequences, because ME3 gives players the illusion of choice and consequences, then throws all out in the end. AP gives all that and more including the ability to kill off key NPC's. Unfortunately, we're never gonna get our AP sequel. Chris Avellone >>>>>>Mac Walters (even though he wrote Garrus and Wrex's lines in ME1 and Garrus' loyalty mission in ME2).

Dresden

Enjoying this a lot right now. Went stealth + pistols, although I maxed out pistols first.

The hacking/lockpicking minigames bothered me at first, but with two ranks in Sabotage for breaking & entering, along with the armor mod that supposedly helps with the minigames, they're easy enough to not be a bother anymore.

Dresden

Also did anyone else use the civilian clothing instead of any armor? Liked the way they look, but the lack of armor mod slots are killer (and I don't have 150k dollars for the Advanced Stealth Suit).

zkylon

zkylewd
Also did anyone else use the civilian clothing instead of any armor? Liked the way they look, but the lack of armor mod slots are killer (and I don't have 150k dollars for the Advanced Stealth Suit).
There's some unique dialogue if you go on missions with no armor (with Brayko for instance). I tried it for a bit, but yeah, it's not easy. Ever tried going full armor on diplomatic missions? That's fun too :)

Labadal

I did for some missions. Then I bought the most expensive stealth armour, and I simply had to use it.

Dresden

I have like 90 endurance now wearing the civilian clothing (Mina Tang bonus + Technical Aptitude), and as a stealth character it's been unnoticeable, pretty much. I think I'll buy the UC Commisar instead of the stealth armor.

I was disappointed that in Taipei,
I couldn't shoot the Red Lion guy in the face.

So, I had been interested in this game for awhile hearing good and bad things about it.

However, I was just at my local rental store returning ME3 (good game, but crappy ending) and saw them selling this game for 38 reais (roughly 20 dollars).

That might seem a lot to you, but a current generation game here in Brazil selling for less than 50 reais is unheard of.

So I couldnt resist and got the game.

For the little I have read of the game, story and dialogues are nice but gameplay is rough.

Im thinking of going stealthy and using silenced pistol.

Good way to play? Can I be stealthy in the game or is it broken?

Help me, GAF. :)

PS - I got the PS3 version.

Miletius

So, I had been interested in this game for awhile hearing good and bad things about it.

However, I was just at my local rental store returning ME3 (good game, but crappy ending) and saw them selling this game for 38 reais (roughly 20 dollars).

That might seem a lot to you, but a current generation game here in Brazil selling for less than 50 reais is unheard of.

For the little I have read of the game, story and dialogues are nice but gameplay is rough.

Being stealthy and using pistols is probably the easiest way to play the game. The pistol power (chain shot) is easily the best weapon power in the game.

That being said I'm blasting through the game now using rifles and it's still pretty easy, so I wouldn't worry too much -- the game isn't terribly difficult except for a couple of boss fights.

Labadal

Stealth + Pistol = Win.

Go for it.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. Stealth + pistol it is.

Im playing Shank 2 right now (PS PLUS freebie! :p) so when Im done with it, Im firing this game up.

Couldnt resist so I stopped playing Shank 2 and started alpha Protocol.

Finished the tutorial and did my first mission (Nasri the arms dealer)

GOOD:
- dialogue options (professional, suave, aggressive). its nice to be able to be different to every character. As your boss tells you, you are a master manipulator.
- having to respond fast. No more taking your time to come up with the best course of action. You have to be attentive and make decisions quickly. Makes the game more exciting.

BAD:
- stealth system.
- camera
- controls

All of those are together because each adds to the other. The camera is horrible, the controls feel loose (but maybe I can fix that on options - havent checked) and the stealth system seems weak. I tried sneaking my way through the mission but I would always be seen because there would be enemies I didnt see.

Even with the awareness skill, its incredibly diffcult to be stealthy unless you are lucky.

- graphics. they are bad, but I honestly dont care that much.

TRULY, TRULY OUTRAGEOUS:

-minigames (especially the lockpicking one). Jesus, those have such a short time frame. I hope I can invest in points later on to increase those times cause the lockpicks were almost impossible to complete. I would always end up triggering the alarm. Not to mention that the lockpicking one is horrible to do. You have to be annoyingly careful. It makes me tense up and get mad.

So, overall, Im liking the game and hope that by gaining some levels and spending some points, some of the bad will diminish too.

PS - I decided
to kill Nasri. But man the tension of deciding to arrest or kill him was tough. when I thought about changing the option back to arrest, I had already killed him lol.

You'll be able to fix a lot of the things you're having issue with when it comes to the stealth systems and minigame stuff by investing points accordingly.

Are you on console or pc?
I never had troubles with the camera except for moments here and there where it would suddenly leap to a spot far off from where I was sending it. I just assumed it was a weird issue with the pc version, though.

You've found the weight of their dialogue system, I see, hahahhaa!

Patryn

Couldnt resist so I stopped playing Shank 2 and started alpha Protocol.

Finished the tutorial and did my first mission (Nasri the arms dealer)

GOOD:
- dialogue options (professional, suave, aggressive). its nice to be able to be different to every character. As your boss tells you, you are a master manipulator.
- having to respond fast. No more taking your time to come up with the best course of action. You have to be attentive and make decisions quickly. Makes the game more exciting.

BAD:
- stealth system.
- camera
- controls

All of those are together because each adds to the other. The camera is horrible, the controls feel loose (but maybe I can fix that on options - havent checked) and the stealth system seems weak. I tried sneaking my way through the mission but I would always be seen because there would be enemies I didnt see.

Even with the awareness skill, its incredibly diffcult to be stealthy unless you are lucky.

- graphics. they are bad, but I honestly dont care that much.

TRULY, TRULY OUTRAGEOUS:

-minigames (especially the lockpicking one). Jesus, those have such a short time frame. I hope I can invest in points later on to increase those times cause the lockpicks were almost impossible to complete. I would always end up triggering the alarm. Not to mention that the lockpicking one is horrible to do. You have to be annoyingly careful. It makes me tense up and get mad.

So, overall, Im liking the game and hope that by gaining some levels and spending some points, some of the bad will diminish too.

PS - I decided
to kill Nasri. But man the tension of deciding to arrest or kill him was tough. when I thought about changing the option back to arrest, I had already killed him lol.

Once you level up the stealth to the point that you can permanently see the guards attention direction/alert level, stealth becomes easy. If you're getting seen at that point you're moving too fast. You need to slow down, take an accounting of the room, figure out their patrol routes and only then proceed.

It becomes even easier once you get the ability that automatically drops you into total stealth for a few seconds upon being seen. Seriously, use your abilities and stealth becomes great (albeit horribly unrealistic).

Oh, and also be aware of the sound level of your armor. If you're wearing loud armor (which basically means any non-stealth armor, and even stealth armor depending on your mods), you might as well be banging a gong shouting "I'M HERE! HELLO! OVER HERE! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

You'll be able to fix a lot of the things you're having issue with when it comes to the stealth systems and minigame stuff by investing points accordingly.

Are you on console or pc?
I never had troubles with the camera except for moments here and there where it would suddenly leap to a spot far off from where I was sending it. I just assumed it was a weird issue with the pc version, though.

You've found the weight of their dialogue system, I see, hahahhaa!

I have the PS3 version and the camera feels like its too close to my character. It should be a little bit further back.

Once you level up the stealth to the point that you can permanently see the guards attention direction/alert level, stealth becomes easy. If you're getting seen at that point you're moving too fast. You need to slow down, take an accounting of the room, figure out their patrol routes and only then proceed.

It becomes even easier once you get the ability that automatically drops you into total stealth for a few seconds upon being seen. Seriously, use your abilities and stealth becomes great (albeit horribly unrealistic).

Oh, and also be aware of the sound level of your armor. If you're wearing loud armor (which basically means any non-stealth armor, and even stealth armor depending on your mods), you might as well be banging a gong shouting "I'M HERE! HELLO! OVER HERE! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Im wearing casual attire. There was na armor option but it was noisy so I chose not to use it. Which kinda sucked cause I was seen a lot :D

I only managed to kill Nasir`s guards stealthly. But it was fun. Im lvl 3 so far and I have invested points in Stealth and Pistol.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I have the PS3 version and the camera feels like its too close to my character. It should be a little bit further back.

Im wearing casual attire. There was na armor option but it was noisy so I chose not to use it. Which kinda sucked cause I was seen a lot :D

I only managed to kill Nasir`s guards stealthly. But it was fun. Im lvl 3 so far and I have invested points in Stealth and Pistol.

Also note that in a way, the first hub of missions should still be considered an extension of the tutorial. The game really opens up once you get the choice of switching around between cities (which I suggest you do when you get the chance rather than sticking with one location until finishing it).

Also note that in a way, the first hub of missions should still be considered an extension of the tutorial. The game really opens up once you get the choice of switching around between cities (which I suggest you do when you get the chance rather than sticking with one location until finishing it).

Thanks will do.

Ok, went for my 2nd mission and Im starting to master stealth.

Managed to kill most enemies without getting spotted. Was still spotted a few times, but everything went smoother.

Chain Shot is just awesome!
Spent some points on Sabotge and now I can throw EMPs to bypass locks. Im buying lots of it! :D

My next goal is getting Awareness (Master).

Dresden

Brilliance + Shadow Operative is, well, brilliant. Technical Aptitude is an awesome third skill to master after pistol and stealth.

ecosse_011172

I've pretty much given up on this, I concentrated on building up stealth with a bit of Martial Arts and basic pistols. I did Saudi ARabia then Moscow and was enjoying the game.

However I'm completely stuck at the coke fiend boss in Moscow, I've read up on how to beat him but just can't do it. My prioritisation of stealth has screwed me.
There's no way I'm restarting ( I have a pile of games to play) but I'd like to continue, is there any hope whatsoever of me killing this boss with these skills?

Help!

daviyoung

Banned
I've pretty much given up on this, I concentrated on building up stealth with a bit of Martial Arts and basic pistols. I did Saudi ARabia then Moscow and was enjoying the game.

However I'm completely stuck at the coke fiend boss in Moscow, I've read up on how to beat him but just can't do it. My prioritisation of stealth has screwed me.
There's no way I'm restarting ( I have a pile of games to play) but I'd like to continue, is there any hope whatsoever of me killing this boss with these skills?

Help!

Isn't it possible to cover until he's in the middle of the stage and then judo chop his ass? Pretty sure that's what I did.

Miletius

Help!

If you haven't done so too, it's possible to jump around to a different hub and come back to Moscow after you've leveled up a bit and put a few more skills into weapons.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you haven't done so too, it's possible to jump around to a different hub and come back to Moscow after you've leveled up a bit and put a few more skills into weapons.

Also, you may unlock additional intel that can help with that particular fight depending who you run into and how you interact with them in one of the other hubs. ;P

Ok, time for an update: Im almost done with the game. already way into the final mission.

I decided to tackle each mission separetely. I was afraid Id forget some of the players and it turned out all right.

By now, I have full stealth, pistol and a bit on Technical Aptitude. The game has been really easy unless for a couple of moments where I was too gung ho and got surrounded by a bunch of enemies.

Have to say, the story (that was good at first) sort of lost power in the end. Still better than a lot of games, but didnt hold my interest as much. I still love the dialogue options and how they effectivily change what happens next.

The boss fights so far have been easy (
Darcy was ridiculous - Shadow Operative - get near him - chain shot - all headshots - Darcy is dead lol
).

I havent finished the game but Id say its worth the money I paid for. If it cost more it wouldnt have been worthy.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, time for an update: Im almost done with the game. already way into the final mission.

I decided to tackle each mission separetely. I was afraid Id forget some of the players and it turned out all right.

By now, I have full stealth, pistol and a bit on Technical Aptitude. The game has been really easy unless for a couple of moments where I was too gung ho and got surrounded by a bunch of enemies.

Have to say, the story (that was good at first) sort of lost power in the end. Still better than a lot of games, but didnt hold my interest as much. I still love the dialogue options and how they effectivily change what happens next.

The boss fights so far have been easy (
Darcy was ridiculous - Shadow Operative - get near him - chain shot - all headshots - Darcy is dead lol
).

I havent finished the game but Id say its worth the money I paid for. If it cost more it wouldnt have been worthy.
Good man. Story really isn't all anything worth mentioning (even for spy movies standards) but it's the dialogue and C&C that really makes the game. If you haven't done it already, I recommend playing the game again as asshole Thorton (if you haven't done already). There's a lot of great douchy dialogue to be had.

Jezabel

bought this for 15 bucks yesterday. just finished basic training and am about to start the first mission. Thinking im gonna go with stealthy/douchebag Thorton then another playthrough as action/ suave Thornton.

Veezy

que?
Is this game worth getting on the PS3? I heard there were some pretty terrible bugs in the game, does anybody know if they were patched?

Is this game worth getting on the PS3? I heard there were some pretty terrible bugs in the game, does anybody know if they were patched?

I plyed the game on PS3 and had a major bug only once. A room on a mission wouldnt load, so id fall lol :D

I restarted the mission and it went fine after that.

Has some slowdown a couple of times, but nothing major.

Play it.

Bought this. Played a bunch of it. So...when do I get to the part where this game isn't easily one of the best games this gen, reviewers?

Progress-wise I
went through Saudi Arabia, then stopped an assassination in Taipei and then had a guy in Rome tell me to back the fuck off or people will die

Top Bottom