• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

I want to play it, can I have advice as to how I can breeze through the game ? (which abilities should I develop, etc). I don't really want a challenge, just have fun while doing the game and see the multiple stories :)

Just started this after a fifth playthrough of Fallout New Vegas, and it's living up to all of the praise it's received on here and then some. Four hours in, two of the three SA missions complete, and I'm surprised by how much I love the game. It has a thirty minute adjustment period for sure (finding out the 360 controller is the best way to play ever, adjusting skills to make hacking easier, etc) but it's nearly perfect. Excellent blend of stealth and action, the RPG mechanics are focused and rewarding, and the writing is smooth as butter.

Couldn't ask for more, and I look forward to what it has to offer. Getting MGS3 flashbacks of greatness! Probably going to double feature it with Deus Ex HR.

Edit: Oh, and the game looks beautiful to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
I agree, it's not gonna turn faces or anything but I like how it looks. Outside Saudi Arabia, the game gets a lot of color and colorful characters and locations and it's just pretty to look at.

The rest, it's a great game, but both the stealth and TPS gameplay are pretty weak (stealth is serviceable, though).

Hambone

Just started this after a fifth playthrough of Fallout New Vegas, and it's living up to all of the praise it's received on here and then some. Four hours in, two of the three SA missions complete, and I'm surprised by how much I love the game. It has a thirty minute adjustment period for sure (finding out the 360 controller is the best way to play ever, adjusting skills to make hacking easier, etc) but it's nearly perfect. Excellent blend of stealth and action, the RPG mechanics are focused and rewarding, and the writing is smooth as butter.

Couldn't ask for more, and I look forward to what it has to offer. Getting MGS3 flashbacks of greatness! Probably going to double feature it with Deus Ex HR.

As someone who is on his 4th play-through, I always love hearing someone enjoying this game. If you're not already, a sociopath, asshole Thorton play-through is a must.

I agree, it's not gonna turn faces or anything but I like how it looks. Outside Saudi Arabia, the game gets a lot of color and colorful characters and locations and it's just pretty to look at.

The rest, it's a great game, but both the stealth and TPS gameplay are pretty weak (stealth is serviceable, though).

As I only play on PC, I'm looking through my Steam directory and I have only two other games that rely on Unreal Tech, so I know I'm not nearly as exposed to it as a lot of "gamers". For a reference point, I believe the Source engine in L4D2 and Portal 2 are perfection in terms of graphic practicality, fidelity, color, and design sooooo that's my grain of salt.

While the stealth is not the perfection of "one loud shot, instant alarm" I appreciate the balance it allows for experimentation.

As someone who is on his 4th play-through, I always love hearing someone enjoying this game. If you're not already, a sociopath, asshole Thorton play-through is a must.

That's reserved for the third playthrough, because I've already been addicted to the suave/professional combination for this initial try. I'm glad to recognize names from the Fallout threads, because I know I'm in good company. But special mention to Snuggler's constant referencing I couldn't ignore in so many threads.

zkylon

zkylewd
As I only play on PC, I'm looking through my Steam directory and I have only two other games that rely on Unreal Tech, so I know I'm not nearly as exposed to it as a lot of "gamers". For a reference point, I believe the Source engine in L4D2 and Portal 2 are perfection in terms of graphic practicality, fidelity, color, and design sooooo that's my grain of salt.
Yeah, I'm not looking at it from a graphics whore's point of view, but some things are really poor, like the animations.

I also love the Source look, and I wish more gamers were settled with that so more development money could be spent on actually useful stuff like good design, depth, content...

AlexBasch

I'm getting frustrated with the Stealth, no matter how many points I invest on it I'm always detected like from two or three feet away. I have to use the 'silent running' perk at all times if I ever want to do stealth. :|

Labadal

I'm getting frustrated with the Stealth, no matter how many points I invest on it I'm always detected like from two or three feet away. I have to use the 'silent running' perk at all times if I ever want to do stealth. :|

Sound also matters. There are armours and armour upgrades that reduce the amount of sound you cause.

Just left Moscow, after choosing from so many choices! What I love the most about this game is the instantaneous RPG elements even reflected from the way you handle dialog to selecting those who influence you.... It's so well put together and seamless, but so many games get it absolutely wrong. Everything the game does creates a very enjoyable narrative.

My favorite moment: Didn't stop
Surkov
before leaving Moscow- whoops, can't go back, decided to go to Rome! So many games nowadays would leave that for you to do anytime, because you expect that quests are quests. Nyet! Now I hope and pray I catch up with him at a later date, with proper reckoning....

Tizoc

Right I just started the game and am playing on Easy+Recruit.
I plan on beating the game by being stealthy.
I did the stealth sidequest/mission where I must return to the medical room for a file but sadly I was spotted. I take it i could've loaded a checkpoint and completed it better?
Either way I am in KSA now, didn't start any of the 3 main objectives, but I'd like some tips:
1- What should I buy via my computer in the game?
2- How should I approach beating the game while focusing entirely on stealth?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
1- What should I buy via my computer in the game?
2- How should I approach beating the game while focusing entirely on stealth?

1-Information Dossiers, you don't need any other weapon upgrades besides buying sleeping ammo.
2-Focus on pistols (because they break the game with chain shot) and stealth (so you can get the "invisible even while running so long as they don't see you" ability and you're golden.

Tizoc

1-Information Dossiers, you don't need any other weapon upgrades besides buying sleeping ammo.
Gracias, I thought those info dossiers were sidequests heh.

2-Focus on pistols (because they break the game with chain shot) and stealth (so you can get the "invisible even while running so long as they don't see you" ability and you're golden.

Neat, will focus all future points on Stealth then thanks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Don't focus all on stealth. You want to get the awareness is always on ability at the very least. Chain shot on pistols to level 1-2 is fine. Level 3 is good but not needed. On easy you should be able to use level 1 just fine.

And the dossiers are side quests in a sense but they're in the main missions as well so they're alternate objectives that give you more cash and exp that you want for leveling up/getting skill points.

Grayman

you will definitely want some pistol points because

the game has boss fights

martial arts is not need if you are using the press e or space for stealth takedowns

Dresden

Focus on

Pistols (chain shot to cheese all the bosses)

Stealth (invis + crits from stealth)

and Technical Aptitude (tons of passive bonuses + Brilliance so you can reset the invisiblity from stealth and go invisible again)

Three best abilities.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm thinking of giving this game a chance, I can get it for £4 haha, worth it?
Depends on your expectations.

Do you expect shooting people will be enjoyable?
No.

Do you expect stealth to be anything other than meagerly competent (but still kinda fun)?
Nope.

Do you expect the game to have a pretty good branching story well worth playing it over and over again?
Then FUCK YEAH.

Also buy this if you really like being an asshole to NPCs in Mass Effect. It's very good at it.

Persona86

Banned
Depends on your expectations.

Do you expect shooting people will be enjoyable?
No.

Do you expect stealth to be anything other than meagerly competent (but still kinda fun)?
Nope.

Do you expect the game to have a pretty good branching story well worth playing it over and over again?
Then FUCK YEAH.

Also buy this if you really like being an asshole to NPCs in Mass Effect. It's very good at it.

Sounds good, I'm interested in the dialog choices and the feeling of being a spy mostly.

Being an asshole is always great in second playthroughs too. :)

So looks like a buy. :)
Thanks.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sounds good, I'm interested in the dialog choices and the feeling of being a spy mostly.

Being an asshole is always great in second playthroughs too. :)

So looks like a buy. :)
Thanks.
Cool, if you get it on PC, a controller is recommended for the minigames. I managed to beat the game without a controller but it's pretty bad.

Troidal

I restarted this game thrice, and after beating Saudi Arabia, the game certainly does pick up...however, it kinda falls on its own weight towards the end. I did appreciate the choices we can make, but you can also see how it would have gone by making the other choices. What annoyed me most was, "you either have to do this, or your ally will die." and sometimes, you don't even know if that ally's life was at stake, and you only learn that they were "defeated" because you chose the other option. They also introduce quite a lot of characters, but some are totally underused, or maybe is it because of how I made the choice. Either way, it's a bit weird, they show up for the sake of the story (i.e. choices you need to make), and if you ignore them, they just don't re-appear again in the story. I know many here have praised it for its replayability, but I can kinda see how the other choices would have led to. Still, it's great to see a game with this many choices.

As an action/stealth game, it has the PS2 era feeling where it's enough to feel like it's still a video game, and abusing the game's system to your own advantages. I wouldn't have considered playing this "seriously" like stealthing every inch of the way. My first 2 playthrough in Saudi Arabia was certainly not enjoyable playing that way. The abilities are there to serve the purpose, and abusing them was fun. Stealth + pistol (chain shots) + Brilliance, you could never go wrong with that combo.

I'm glad I grabbed it for real cheap, just $9.00, it was really enjoyable especially considering the really cheap discount. Back in 2010 when it came out, I don't know where I would have ranked this game though...

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, game has some pacing issues and very evident cut content, as is typical of development hell.

What's in the game is pretty good, but really the could've-been is huge.

Hey Zkylon, any advice before starting the game? Also are there any mods or tweaks i should take in consideration?

Hope you see this post since the thread is kind of slow these days.

zkylon

zkylewd
Uh, not much in the way of mods, I remember a couple of ini tweaks to do stuff like animation blending for changing directions (something I can't believe Obsidian didn't do) and a slightly less goofy crouch-walking animation. Some guy also found the way to force AA, but I think that's as far as they went. Most of the stuff is on the Obs forums: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/55422-modding-alpha-protocol/

As for advice, well, if you're gonna go melee or non-lethal, make sure to still put a few points into Pistols so you can get chainshot, it'll make some very annoying bosses that much easier. Other than that, not much, if you have a controller handy to play the hacking minigames with, then all the better, but that's about it.

Uh, not much in the way of mods, I remember a couple of ini tweaks to do stuff like animation blending for changing directions (something I can't believe Obsidian didn't do) and a slightly less goofy crouch-walking animation. Some guy also found the way to force AA, but I think that's as far as they went. Most of the stuff is on the Obs forums: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/55422-modding-alpha-protocol/

As for advice, well, if you're gonna go melee or non-lethal, make sure to still put a few points into Pistols so you can get chainshot, it'll make some very annoying bosses that much easier. Other than that, not much, if you have a controller handy to play the hacking minigames with, then all the better, but that's about it.
Another question, is this one of these modern games in terms of difficulty where "normal" is easy and "hard" is "less easy"?

Patryn

What does recruit does? I can't distribute talent points but will i'll be able to do so as the game progreses?

Start with 0 talent points. Able to gain a few during the tutorial stuff, but not as much as you normally start with.

Gives a few unique dialogue options.

After beating the game with recruit, you unlock Veteran, which allows you start with a ton of talents points.

Start with 0 talent points. Able to gain a few during the tutorial stuff, but not as much as you normally start with.

Gives a few unique dialogue options.

After beating the game with recruit, you unlock Veteran, which allows you start with a ton of talents points.
Good for a first time player? Question, why veteran does exactly the opposite? I dont get it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Good for a first time player? Question, why veteran does exactly the opposite? I dont get it.
They're like "modifiers", change up the game a bit. Start with neither of those enabled, then do your other playthroughs on veteran or recruit. They also have a few extra dialogue options.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just pick a regular specialization and leave Vet and Recruit for the next playthroughs. It gives you a small reason to check out the new dialogue and whatnot, not that you'd need many more than the game being totally awesome.

Seriously I can't remember playing a RPG so many times in a row with no achievements to drive me to it.

Lancehead

Why not Recruit? I did that with the highest difficulty on my first playthrough, though you'd want to go with powerful builds (like Grayman's suggestion above). Then you have Veteran unlocked right away to play god.

zkylon

zkylewd
Why not Recruit? I did that with the highest difficulty on my first playthrough, though you'd want to go with powerful builds (like Grayman's suggestion above). Then you have Veteran unlocked right away to play god.
When I played my Recruit run I felt compelled to always pick the Recruit choices so I could see the extra flavor dialogue options.

If he starts with one of the regular "classes" he'll just choose according to whatever he feels like it with no extra "pressure", and he can leave that for subsequent playthroughs (which are a must).

Lancehead

When I played my Recruit run I felt compelled to always pick the Recruit choices so I could see the extra flavor dialogue options.

If he starts with one of the regular "classes" he'll just choose according to whatever he feels like it with no extra "pressure", and he can leave that for subsequent playthroughs (which are a must).

I picked Recruit option like once or twice in the beginning of the game. I feel like they're "newbie" responses whereas Thorton is badass, so actually I feel compelled not to pick them.

Serious problems with the hacking mini game, i even extracted points from other category and put it on Sabotage. I should be investing in that to make the mini game more tolerable correct?

I choosed the spionage type gay, not soldier, freelance or tech gay.

Sh!t, why always when a game like this comes theres and obstacle that prevents it from being perfect, this time seems like budget was the problem. Imagine this game with exactly the stealth mechanics of Splinter Cell o_O!

Lancehead

"[Sega was] like, ‘Why don't you come up with a concept and we'll negotiate a contract and when you're available it'll all be done?'" Urquhart said. "And we were like, ‘Ummm we're fine doing that... you don't feel it's a waste of time?' And they're like, ‘Yeah.'"

So they came up with a concept: spy RPG. They came up with a name: Alpha Protocol. And they came up with a main character: Michael Thorton, a superspy as suave as James Bond, as savvy as Jason Bourne, and as badass as Jack Bauer.

"[Sega] loved it," Urquhart said. "They said, ‘Hey, this is different. It's not dragons, it's not phasers.' You don't see a lot of spy RPGs. Sometimes we go: maybe there's a reason for that!"

And indeed, Urquhart admits that Alpha Protocol had some serious issues. The game's four-year development process was long and arduous, and the team sometimes felt like they didn't have a clear direction: was it a shooter? An RPG? A stealth game? All three?

"We meandered—I think that's the best way to say it," Urquhart said. "We meandered for quite a while on that project. It took us a long time to get to the point where we were where we needed to be."

They didn't have any sort of game specification document, Urquhart said, which is now something they require for all of their games: a listed, documented set of guidelines for exactly how a game will be designed and developed. They also didn't determine exactly who they were making the game for—action players? RPG fans? shooter addicts?—which Urquhart said was a serious detriment.

"We started getting into these arguments which were completely not helpful," he said. "Is it 70% RPG or 30% action, or is it 46% action and 50%... These things were not helpful. What we needed to say is: in a mission, Michael can do these things, you know, and this is the toolkit. He can unlock things, he can hack things, he can throw bombs, he can interact this way, he can interact that way."

Part of the problem was Sega's indecision, Urquhart said. "A great example is there was a whole segment of the game, which was really cool, and it probably cost $500,000 to make. It was a long sequence, lots of mocap and all this kind of stuff. And at the time Sega felt it just didn't fit the game... and so $500,000 cut. And you know, I understand: they pay us to make the game. It's totally their right to do that. It can just derail."

(http://kotaku.com/5968952/the-knigh...e-some-of-the-coolest-role+playing-games-ever)

Patryn

I picked Recruit option like once or twice in the beginning of the game. I feel like they're "newbie" responses whereas Thorton is badass, so actually I feel compelled not to pick them.

If you don't pick the recruit options in the opening tutorial sections, you won't get all the talent points possible in the beginning of the game.

And the point of recruit is that Thornton isn't YET a badass.

zkylon

zkylewd
Alpha Protocol's development was a mess. SEGA wanted a Mass Effect killer without spending as much, and Obsidian didn't know how to do an action game and had a lot of in-fighting to the point they changed directors like 3 times.

We're blessed it turned out as good as it did.

Dresden

The Thornton in my mind is a dude who wears shades indoors, may or may not have a beard, and wears a button-up shirt to a shooting war.

Patryn

Alpha Protocol's development was a mess. SEGA wanted a Mass Effect killer without spending as much, and Obsidian didn't know how to do an action game and had a lot of in-fighting to the point they changed directors like 3 times.

We're blessed it turned out as good as it did.

Ironically, the one thing most people complain about, the slavishly devoted to numbers shooting, was a SEGA directive. Reports state that Obsidian wanted to make player aiming more important, but SEGA demanded that it be driven almost solely by stats.

Grayman

Ironically, the one thing most people complain about, the slavishly devoted to numbers shooting, was a SEGA directive. Reports state that Obsidian wanted to make player aiming more important, but SEGA demanded that it be driven almost solely by stats.
RPGs have numbers. I bet that is what sega said. sadly.

Regarding recruit and vet I think they mainly show up during the opening and ending of the game. It has been awhile though.

Top Bottom