• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.com rocks! Power-Up (Kobun's Book) and Kent's book for $26.91 (Free shipping!)

BuddyC

0744004241.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

+
0761536434.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-6974547-4449645?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It's eligible for Free Super Saver Shipping as well.

Or you can grab Power-Up for $13.99, but then you don't get free shipping.

Thanks to DavidDayton for pointing this out to me ages ago.

cja

Amazon sent me spam about Power-up today. Bought First Quarter from them many moons ago and they linked the two, the smart b'stards. Iirc Kent sold 5,000 copies of the edition at amazon.com, that's some very worthwhile targeted marketing for Kobun's book.

Alcibiades

I'd jump in an instant if I didn't already have Kent's book.

I saw Power Up at Gamestop the other day, didn't know places like that were going to carry it.

The price for Power Up on it's own is actually really good, so I'll probably just take a biting on shipping or if I purchase something else have it tag along...

BuddyC

I really, really enjoyed the Ultimate History of Video Games when I borrowed it from the library ages ago, so this sweetened the deal for me.

john tv

Somebody please tell me why on amazon.co.jp, it says "Chris Kohler, Denis Dyack" ?

Buying my copy today. Kohler, who loves you!!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
john tv said:
Somebody please tell me why on amazon.co.jp, it says "Chris Kohler, Denis Dyack" ?

Denis Dyack wrote the foreward

john tv said:

Dyack wrote the preface/introduction/whateveryouwannacallit

Edit: Dang, beaten.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nice. i'll order both...although probably not for a little while.

and i assume chris baker of wired meant "critical faculties." or perhaps "critical facility." but surely not "critical facilities." unless kobun has a very nice desk or something.

john tv

drohne said:
i assume chris baker of wired meant "critical faculties." or perhaps "critical facility." but surely not "critical facilities." unless kobun has a very nice desk or something.
Ooooops!

Sho Nuff

Banned
"AFTER YOU FINISH CHAPTER ONE, ORDER ME A PIZZA WITH EXTRA BUTTER" -- Dennis Dyack

*Disclaimer: This gag can no longer be used as Dyack is no longer fat.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ordered both. Thanks for the heads up. Wasn't there another big VG related book that everyone says is a must read? Called Game Over or something? Anyone have the full title and author of that one?

M3wThr33

Banned
I already have the Ultimate History book, along with a fairly update Game Over and some other game books.
I'll wait for David to get two copies of the book, and I'll cover him.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
I'm buying both books, but isn't Kent's book just a repackaged & retitled version of The First Quarter? Or no...?

vireland

I'm buying both books, but isn't Kent's book just a repackaged & retitled version of The First Quarter? Or no...?

Yep. It's just The First Quarter (Much better/More meaningful title) repackaged. If you have TFQ, you already have this "ultimate" book.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Mejilan said:
Ordered both. Thanks for the heads up. Wasn't there another big VG related book that everyone says is a must read? Called Game Over or something? Anyone have the full title and author of that one?
Yeah..I purchased a copy of Game Over recently at a local EB in Brooklyn for $2 bucks. The full title is Game Over: Press Start to Continue -The Maturing of Mario by David Sheff with new chapters by Andy Eddy. I'm one chapter in and so far its pretty interesting in how it discusses the business history of Nintendo (although I've already caught some factual errors).

MarkMacD

I must say I'm a couple chapters into Power Up and I am pleasantly surprised (nothing against Chris of course, I always just expect game books to be poorly written and full of mistakes :). Definitely worth a read.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
MarkMacD said:
I must say I'm a couple chapters into Power Up and I am pleasantly surprised (nothing against Chris of course, I always just expect game books to be poorly written and full of mistakes :). Definitely worth a read.

You've clearly forgotten his old tag which claimed that he eats Gaming Journalists for Lunch :p

Run MacDonald Run!! Kobun's hungry!

SickBoy

vireland said:
Yep. It's just The First Quarter (Much better/More meaningful title) repackaged. If you have TFQ, you already have this "ultimate" book.

More or less, but "Ultimate History" apparently benefited from a more complete edit, some error correction and possibly some updates from the First Quarter.

But the first book did have a much better title, and IIRC, a much nicer-looking cover, as well.

-SB

john tv

SickBoy said:
More or less, but "Ultimate History" apparently benefited from a more complete edit, some error correction and possibly some updates from the First Quarter.

But the first book did have a much better title, and IIRC, a much nicer-looking cover, as well.

-SB
Agreed, the original title was much better. I rebought it because I was hoping they cleaned up some of the like, 1,000 typos and mistakes I found the first time I read through it. If not, then perhaps I just wasted $12...

Top Bottom