• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon just launched a new $50 Kindle Fire Tablet

Pejo

If the battery life was a bit better, I'd have picked one up. Something I could just sit in a room without charging for a few days, but nah, I don't need another tablet.

Ok, is this annoying?
Does it worth the 15$ to not have it?

I've owned kindles with and without the special offers before. They only appear on lock screens and a small add in the main kindle menu, nothing intrusive.

FYI the deals you get in the special offers are sometimes pretty good if you shop at amazon regularly.

Going by my regular kindle (the reading kindle) device I can assure you that it's not annoying and that you can buy the cheaper model. It's just a screensaver really.

I don't think it's worth it, but you can always pay the $15 later if you get it and they bug you.

I've owned kindles with and without the special offers before. They only appear on lock screens and a small add in the main kindle menu, nothing intrusive.

FYI the deals you get in the special offers are sometimes pretty good if you shop at amazon regularly.

Ok cool! Thanks a lot :)

Mindwipe

Putting it in a takeout bag is certainly something. We're on the verge of disposable computing with this thing.

I think I've said before that I think Chromecast/Fire Stick-esque dongles are going to be like AOL CDs in a few years. They'll be on cornflake packets, locked to various subscription video services.

Mindwipe

Wait so the only ads are on the lock screen? I don't have to worry about them popping up elsewhere? That's not a bad deal at all then.

Lock screen only.

The new Amazon Underground service (which gives free apps and IAPs) also has (more intrusive) adverts, but if you've got to go and explicitly turn that on. So don't if you're not interested.

Kibbles

Seems pretty good. IPS display too. I remember getting some cheap $100 tablet a few years ago for my little brother and the screen was absolute garbage viewing angles.

BlindRage

So if it just bought my dad the fire 6 hd, I should return that and preorder this? And save $50? He really just likes to surf the web and read his books off of it. Would this be fine?

c0de

Wait so the only ads are on the lock screen? I don't have to worry about them popping up elsewhere? That's not a bad deal at all then.

Go for it, it doesn't make the device even slower than it already is (if it has the same performance as mine).

c0de

So if it just bought my dad the fire 6 hd, I should return that and preorder this? And save $50? He really just likes to surf the web and read his books off of it. Would this be fine?

Depends. Their browser isn't the best. You can install another app store but Amazon doesn't allow you to start Chrome (at least not the regular version, beta runs fine). Firefox also won't start.

pa22word

Sad to see amazon ditching the high res screens this time around. I really like my 1920x1200 7" hdx that came out a few years back. Perfect size with a nice resolution for great ppi. Doesn't look like im ever going to replace it with another amazon product at this rate though :/

ghibli99

I guess this would be an improvement over a first gen nexus 7? Mine is pretty much dead at this point.
I'd go with a 2013 N7 instead. One of the best (and cheapest) upgrades I did earlier this year... sold my original N7, bought a refurbed '13 on eBay (which came with everything and looked brand-new), and it only cost me about $50 after everything was said and done. I love it.

Haint

ouch the specs are painfully bad. You can find chinese tablets that have better specs than that at a similar price.

1024x600 Resolution Display (Sub 720p!)
Probably a snapdragon 400 1.3Ghz (bottom of the barrel CPU)
1GB of Ram

If the OS is still the same that their other tablets use it will make this tablet a laggy mess.

The problem with cheap Chinese tablets is they use really, really low quality, C, D, and Rejected-grade TN panels that would never pass inspection or certification with a real company. We're talking clusters of subpixels stuck on full intensity in the dead center of the screen, and on axis viewing angles of like 10 or 20 degrees (not hyperbole), which obviously doesn't even pretend to work in both portrait and landscape. Everyone's probably familiar with the cheap laptop displays you have to constantly tilt up and down to see, the Chinese tablets are actually far worse than those. Now I'm not saying Amazon's putting a reference grade panel in these, but there is literally no way it won't be VASTLY superior to the no brand shit you're trying to present as being a better buy because they may claim to have higher resolution screens.

a.wd

I managed to pick up a HP 7/8" windows tablet for £50, so no thank you, actually I may get one for my one year old, her Samsung is getting long in the tooth

Questions I have. Versus the iPod touch 4, is this device:
More powerful in general?
Snappier ui?
Better web browsing(less crashing, higher tab count)?
Better video streaming (60fps)?
Can you jailbreak it?
Android/ kindle os vs iOS in general(I'm still on a 4.2.1. Jb ver)

The adverts from amazon are pretty light but I can only go by the model we have in our home, you can pay to remove them at a later date if you prefer for them to all go away.

$50? What's the catch?

rather basic screen and a cpu which is nice but nothing super amazing, tons better then a lot of budget tablets floating around ebay that's for sure.

rokkerkory

ouch the specs are painfully bad. You can find chinese tablets that have better specs than that at a similar price.

1024x600 Resolution Display (Sub 720p!)
Probably a snapdragon 400 1.3Ghz (bottom of the barrel CPU)
1GB of Ram

If the OS is still the same that their other tablets use it will make this tablet a laggy mess.

no thanks

szaromir

Banned
Maybe a naive question. All screens I use at home are 1080p resolution but they're of different size (40' TV, 27' IPS monitor, 15.4' IPS screen in my laptop, 5' IPS screen in HTC One M8). Surely if I'm not bothered by the pixel density in my laptop (147ppi), then I wouldn't be bothered by the pixel density in this tablet (171ppi)? I had a chance recently to use a Samsung Galaxy S6 and it has an absurd pixel density and the screen does stand out, but I don't think I actually need it at all.

Damaniel

Banned

However, if one of those Chinese tablets breaks then you're SOL. Amazon will presumably back these with their usual, generous return policy.

I'm not sure how much of a market there is for these, since pretty much everyone who wants a tablet has one anyway, but I applaud the effort at least.

£50 = $50 - Thanks Amazon.

Yeah I won't support that stuff

$50 (does not include local state taxes, they quote you for that at the counter)
£50 (final retail price at the counter, including VAT, i.e. exactly the amount that comes out of your bank account)

styl3s

I think this would make for a perfect tablet for kids and people in low-income situations especially if they want their kids to have devices that can help them in school. I bought 2, one to play around with and one to give my little grand niece.

Clearly this isn't designed and marketed towards end users if you want your 80k resolution 9000gb brand name tablet with actual warranty and support it's gonna cost you more than the price of a used video game.

JeffG

However, if one of those Chinese tablets breaks then you're SOL. Amazon will presumably back these with their usual, generous return policy.

I'm not sure how much of a market there is for these, since pretty much everyone who wants a tablet has one anyway, but I applaud the effort at least.

I had a Chinese tablet once. The workmanship can be a bit iffy.

The solder job on the antenna was so bad I had to take the tablet apart and remove and resolder it back on.

I think I might pick up one of these for travelling. Good enough to watch a movie on a plane. Listen to some music and do so surfing.

Shin-Ra

Assuming it all works properly, the $99 Fire TV with HEVC and 2160p30 video support seems like a more future proof streaming device than the new Apple TV.

thenexus6

Small bump, I am thinking of getting small tablet for browsing and to read comics / manga on. I've heard the screen isn't very good on this tablet but is it good enough for reading comics?

Gurrry

im trying to figure out a good present for the GF and was thinking about a fire tablet HD.

they have the fire HD 6 for 80 bucks, is that one decent? she likes to play telltale games and other random point and click games on her moms kindle. would the fire 6 hd be capable of playing those?

Small bump, I am thinking of getting small tablet for browsing and to read comics / manga on. I've heard the screen isn't very good on this tablet but is it good enough for reading comics?

No, reading much of anything is not great.

It is OK for videos but really lacks otherwise.

Grabbed it on Black Friday.

The screen is just awful. Everything looks noticeably duller after using my iPad and phone. I was probably expecting too much out of a $50 tablet though

It's really snappy, however, I'll give it that

I got one for $35 on black Friday. Mostly use it as a YouTube in bed device. Reading on it is OK but not great. I wouldn't have felt bad about spending $50 on it.

Fodder76

I bought it for this exact reason. Its true its not great, but for $35 (which is what I got it for) I'm not complaining. Reading digital comics on a device isn't something I plan to do a lot of, so I wasn't willing to invest in a $200+ device for it. This works just fine for me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have a Kindle Fire and it's great for art books and books about video games. I don't game on the device itself for no particular reason, but I have a few art books like Naughty Dog and The Evil Within. There's also a good Mass Effect art book as well.

BiggNife

I have heard almost nothing but negative things about it so I would steer clear.

Also, I would not really recommend a 7" screen for comics, you'd be better off with 8" and above. 7" is this weird in-between where full pages look cramped and single panel views are blown up and blurry.

Personally I've been eyeing the Lenovo Tab 2, which has a good rep and is pretty cheap (though not Kindle Fire cheap). Amazon's currently selling the 8 inch model for $100. It sounds like a good fit for your needs. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNDF7IY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

e: Alternatively the ZenPad S8 would probably be a good fit due to its 4:3 screen - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011TVF5QC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom