• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

fuenf

I think all PW's have uneven lighting/light bleed at the bottom. You'll probably have to wait for PW2 for an improvement.

I think he means glowing specks / spots, they appear when there's a tiny hole lightguide. My first PW had one at the bottom (http://i.imgur.com/NVzI9.jpg below 'eines') and I exchanged it. The 2nd one was fine and had a far better display (it's almost white at maximum brightness, whereas the first one (with the speck) had a strong yellow tint). Tbh I think the PW displays are kind of mixed bag and you have to get lucky to find a good one (I dont think there are any great ones out there), but I doubt anyone would notice the variations as long as they dont compare it side by side with another PW.

Nymerio

When I got my paperwhite, I gave my old Kindle Keyboard to my mom. My dad just got a standard Kindle as a christmas present with a third party case. Took him about 10 minutes to realize that he needs a new case with a reading light.

Other than that, they both really like their Kindles.

I imagine it's because the contrast improvements that Amazon lists as a selling point depend on the light.

At its lowest setting, unless you are in a dimly lit room, you cannot tell the light is on.

As far as I can tell the reason for the light always being on, is there is no hardware button that turns that light on and off. So if you have the light all the way down when you last shut it off and the next time you turn it on is in a dark room you can operate the device no problem.

vazel

Banned
At its lowest setting, unless you are in a dimly lit room, you cannot tell the light is on.

As far as I can tell the reason for the light always being on, is there is no hardware button that turns that light on and off. So if you have the light all the way down when you last shut it off and the next time you turn it on is in a dark room you can operate the device no problem.
That actually makes sense. Nice design decision.

KINDLE 3 keyboard device completely frozen on special offers screensaver, when plugged into computer registers as "SE BLANK RINGO" device. called amazon customer service who had no fix. charged the kindle completely to no avail. internet searches turn up no solutions.

do any of you kindle wiz kids know what to do? halp!

Taken from mobile reads

" I had the "SE Blank Ringo" response when I plugged in a frozen Kindle 3 given me by a friend recently. The Kindle was frozen on the Amazon start-up screen, and wouldn't take a charge. When I plugged it in to the wall charger, the amber light would go on (or not) then turn off after a few minutes.

Finally, I opened up the Kindle 3, took out the battery, and let it sit for half and hour, then put it back in. It took several hard restarts while plugged into a wall charger, for the Kindle to get through the whole startup screen without freezing. Finally it started, and I saw that 3G was turned on. It was as though it was trying to charge, but the active modem was eating the charge as soon as it applied. Finally, after several freezes, I got in quickly enough to turn off wireless connectivity, then the Kindle charged normally and works fine. (I did find one book trying unsuccessfully to index, which I deleted). I think the message here might be: "Never turn on wireless when your battery is low."
montalex is offline "

Cheers

Vyer

My wife got me the Amazon case for the Paperwhite.

Its a great case, love the sleep/wake feature.

Ordered one with that 40% off deal. Unfortunately you could only get black, but the price was too good to pass up. Looking forward to it.

Tuck

Wish the PW was available in Canada. I've wanted a kindle for years now. My room doesn't have the best lighting so i figured the PW would allow me to read easier.

I take solace in the fact that the book series I am reading now, Malazan Book of the Fallen, supposedly does not have a very good kindle edition, so I guess its no rush, as I am still on book one. Of ten.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is my Paperwhite screwed? Notice it does full page refreshes on every turn page even though I don't have that option on. I have to restart my device to fix it.

picked up the paperwhite tonight. saw 3 small light ho on it but it's at the spot that i won't care for for now. love the size, the feel and the light! awesome little thing.

Salsa

what do you guys use to clean the screen?

would it be alright to use the same stuff I use to clean an LCD? just used a dampened microfiber cloth with that stuff and it seems to work fine. Pretty sure its alcohol-free. Just asking cause its my first experience with these types of screens.

Is my Paperwhite screwed? Notice it does full page refreshes on every turn page even though I don't have that option on. I have to restart my device to fix it.

this started happening to me on my 4 while on Vacation and after some googling apparently it had to do with the temperature

weird, but it was indeed super hot outside when I was using it, and since I came back home it stopped doing it.

Kwixotik

So I got a PW Kindle Touch for Christmas yesterday, along with this case. I knew I'd be getting it, and I was happy about it, but I didn't realize how awesome it would be. It's my first e-reader and I'm pretty impressed with the screen and the quality of the product. The case is pretty nice too.

Like others have said, the internal light isn't perfect. I do notice a small gap between the screen and casing at the top left of the screen. Also, the bottom of the screen is a little dimmer than the rest of it, but neither problem really bothers me while I'm reading so I don't mind.

I have been reading more than usual since I got it, but I don't know if that's just because I like playing with new toys or if it'll be a long-term increase. I do think I might actually prefer it to physical books so far though. With physical books, I look ahead to see how long the chapters are and I'm easily distracted by cramped lines but I don't have those problems on the Kindle so far. Being able to adjust the font size helped with the second problem a lot.

Anyway, if anyone's on the fence about getting one, I highly recommend it.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
what do you guys use to clean the screen?

would it be alright to use the same stuff I use to clean an LCD? just used a dampened microfiber cloth with that stuff and it seems to work fine. Pretty sure its alcohol-free. Just asking cause its my first experience with these types of screens.
I've done the same with my Keyboard and Paperwhite and the screen's been okay, so if there are any special cleaning instructions, I'm unaware of them.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Another Christmas kindle present receiver here. Love it.
Love the kindle singles, love cheap Vonnegut novels. Love it all. I remember gifting my sister a kindle back in 2011, think it was the kindle 2? Well anyways, I received the paperwhite, and woah, I like it a lot more than hers. Love this thing definitely gonna read a lot more now.

vitacola

I'm going to buy one in a few hours and join KindleGAF.

It will probably be the "normal" Kindle with e-Ink and no backlight, because the Paperwhite is sold out on Amazon DE and most of the stores only sell the "low end" Kindle. In addition to that it probably will be my device of choice for reading cheap offers (Humble Bundle, Amazon) and free classics like Sherlock Holmes or Lovecraft's Complete work.

Any other tips on nice free/pretty cheap classics of the English/American literature? Already looked at some of the links in the OP, but most of the time you got to know what to search for.

I'm going to buy one in a few hours and join KindleGAF.

It will probably be the "normal" Kindle with e-Ink and no backlight, because the Paperwhite is sold out on Amazon DE and most of the stores only sell the "low end" Kindle. In addition to that it probably will be my device of choice for reading cheap offers (Humble Bundle, Amazon) and free classics like Sherlock Holmes or Lovecraft's Complete work.

Any other tips on nice free/pretty cheap classics of the English/American literature? Already looked at some of the links in the OP, but most of the time you got to know what to search for.

Get free stuff on Project Gutenberg, a lot of the free classics on Amazon are formatted horribly, have a bunch of spelling errors, or are other messed up.

Get free stuff on Project Gutenberg, a lot of the free classics on Amazon are formatted horribly, have a bunch of spelling errors, or are other messed up.

Project Gutenberg has it's share of formatting issues as well. In fact a lot of the poor Amazon ones are just taken from PG. A lot of Public Domain sites take from PG, too.

It's important to note that public domain (aka pre-1923) translations are not usually recommended. If you are reading a book that was translated, do your research on what the best translation is. It's more than likely not one in the public domain and it's worth it to pay more.

As always use ereaderiq.com. It will save you money. There are often big discounts on books from most publishers and it's hard to keep track of them if you don't use the tools available to you.

CrankyJay

Banned
Did anyone else take advantage of that AmazonLocal deal for 40% off a kindle case? Thinking of grabbing one of the Amazon brand leather cases.

ibl6XoT1WDEWgJ.jpg

mine isn't that bad.

CrankyJay

Banned
Did anyone else take advantage of that AmazonLocal deal for 40% off a kindle case? Thinking of grabbing one of the Amazon brand leather cases.

Be careful with AmazonLocal coupon codes...I put an item in my cart this morning and applied the coupon, but I didn't complete my checkout because I was waiting for my wife to see how she felt about the item.

Tonight I went back and chose a different case for her but when I went to apply my coupon it said there was a problem. I guess they count it as claimed when you apply it and not complete checkout.

Tom_Cody

I'm on Amazon now and I was about to buy a Kindle Paperwhite (without "special offers") with the Kindle branded leather case. Am I doing it right?

Are there other cases worth looking at? Do I need to buy the power adapter or is it just a standard USB charger?

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm on Amazon now and I was about to buy a Kindle Paperwhite (without "special offers") with the Kindle branded leather case. Am I doing it right?

Are there other cases worth looking at? Do I need to buy the power adapter or is it just a standard USB charger?

From what I know it's just a standard USB. Do you own any Apple devices? I think those work as well. I ended up buying the adapter because this is for my wife so u figured if she saw the thing that says Amazon on it she will know.

I really want the blue leather case but $40 seems kinda pricey.

zigg

Dunno about the cases, but I don't see the point in spending the extra cash to shut off special offers. On my Touch, they're only on the "off" screen and in a small banner on the home screen—they never interfere with reading..

Tom_Cody

From what I know it's just a standard USB. Do you own any Apple devices? I think those work as well. I ended up buying the adapter because this is for my wife so u figured if she saw the thing that says Amazon on it she will know.
I did a little more research at is seems to just be a standard USB. I already have a few around my apartment.

I really want the blue leather case but $40 seems kinda pricey.
Eh, I plan to use this a lot. I read whenever I'm on the subway at that works out to ~10 hours a week. $40 feels like nothing. The intention of my question was just if there are any other high quality alternative options. I guess I'll give etsy a look but I like the kindle branded one quite a bit.

Dunno about the cases, but I don't see the point in spending the extra cash to shut off special offers. On my Touch, they're only on the "off" screen and in a small banner on the home screen—they never interfere with reading..
Same answer as above. I plan to spend a lot of time with the device. The money is sort of besides the point. I just want an optimal experience.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The leather case that you can buy is SO amazing. And the special offers thing is such a rip-off. It's not worth spending the extra money to get the "without" option since they are very unobtrusive (non-existent when reading).

No reason to buy a Kindle without Special Offers. If they annoy you can just pay the difference and they are removed. In all likely hood you won't mind them, and you will see some good deals, mostly when there is a new product launch.

And yea the official leather case is really nice.

CrankyJay

Banned
The leather case that you can buy is SO amazing. And the special offers thing is such a rip-off. It's not worth spending the extra money to get the "without" option since they are very unobtrusive (non-existent when reading).

I guess I should just suck it up and buy the black case, I have a 40% off promo code for it, but I doesn't work on the blue one.

vazel

Banned
I really miss the audio option on my Paperwhite. I'm keeping my Kindle Keyboard just for that. I like listening to old time radio shows while working out.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Taken from mobile reads

" I had the "SE Blank Ringo" response when I plugged in a frozen Kindle 3 given me by a friend recently. The Kindle was frozen on the Amazon start-up screen, and wouldn't take a charge. When I plugged it in to the wall charger, the amber light would go on (or not) then turn off after a few minutes.

Finally, I opened up the Kindle 3, took out the battery, and let it sit for half and hour, then put it back in. It took several hard restarts while plugged into a wall charger, for the Kindle to get through the whole startup screen without freezing. Finally it started, and I saw that 3G was turned on. It was as though it was trying to charge, but the active modem was eating the charge as soon as it applied. Finally, after several freezes, I got in quickly enough to turn off wireless connectivity, then the Kindle charged normally and works fine. (I did find one book trying unsuccessfully to index, which I deleted). I think the message here might be: "Never turn on wireless when your battery is low."
montalex is offline "

Cheers

amazon customer service was zero help with my problem, but this post saved my kindle and saved me a hundred dollars.

cheers to you, dave!

Corrupt

So I got a kindle Paperwhite over Christmas, and noticed when loading the Lord of the Rings cover (which is mostly black) and noticed a few pixels remained white, these pixels seemed to stand out more depending on how bright the light is and look like tiny pieces of glitter under the screen. When the backlight is turned off, they're unnoticeable. So I contacted them and got a replacement one sent out that seems to have the same issue.

Is this a side-effect of the light tech they're using or am I just having bad luck with a bad batch?

So I got a kindle Paperwhite over Christmas, and noticed when loading the Lord of the Rings cover (which is mostly black) and noticed a few pixels remained white, these pixels seemed to stand out more depending on how bright the light is and look like tiny pieces of glitter under the screen. When the backlight is turned off, they're unnoticeable. So I contacted them and got a replacement one sent out that seems to have the same issue.

Is this a side-effect of the light tech they're using or am I just having bad luck with a bad batch?

explanation I heard is that they are possibly specks of dust trapped between the screen layers. I had a couple of them on my first paperwhite. They didnt really bother me too much but I ended up returning it because it also had blue-green/pink patches on the screen which were more distracting

No reason to buy a Kindle without Special Offers. If they annoy you can just pay the difference and they are removed. In all likely hood you won't mind them, and you will see some good deals, mostly when there is a new product launch.

And yea the official leather case is really nice.

Official case is awesome. Fits great, not too heavy. I payed the difference to remove ads because I hated the "swipe to unlock" after I already opened the case. Totally worth it for me. Now it just opens to the page I left off on.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Official case is awesome. Fits great, not too heavy. I payed the difference to remove ads because I hated the "swipe to unlock" after I already opened the case. Totally worth it for me. Now it just opens to the page I left off on.

Does it fit really tight? Mine was a bit loose, if I pressed on the right edge of the Kindle it would definitely move a bit. I had to put padding behind that spot between the back of the Kindle and the case for it to really feel fitted.

I asked an Amazon rep who said it was normal and not entiiirely happy about it, not that it's a big deal, but was curious to see if it is indeed normal.

Top Bottom