• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Ramma2

I don't think you can use the prime lending library unless you own an actual kindle device.

Correct, and even though I own a kindle and have prime, my wife is unable to check out prime books on the ipad app.

Bit of a downer for us as I love the kindle but she is 100% into the iPad for everything including reading.

flyover

Correct, and even though I own a kindle and have prime, my wife is unable to check out prime books on the ipad app.

Bit of a downer for us as I love the kindle but she is 100% into the iPad for everything including reading.

Exact same situation as my household. It's too bad -- though at least my wife is able to use Kindle books from our local library on the iPad. (I love that our library starting offering that service. The funny thing is that, for licensing reasons, they had to add artificial scarcity to it; only one person can "borrow" each Kindle book from the library at a time.)

chiQ

well godammit. reading some Holmes this monring and already found 2 words that werent in either supplied dictionary. heh.

one of them is "gasogene". i figured out what it was from the context, but i still wanted to read the definition.

also question if anyone knows: when i first got my kindle it seemed to save a list of the words i looked up in the dictionary that i could later view in "My Clippings", but i must have turned off some feature preventing this because it hasnt kept any of the words ive looked up pfor a long time now.

anyone know how to enable this?

I have noticed that my Touch never finds any words I check, even basic ones. I think my dictionary is munted.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
After doing some research (and thanks to those who responded to my question above), I ended up buying my wife a Paperwhite. Awesome little device! The only problem is that I want one now, too. :p Got her setup with a prime account, too.

Marda

Neo Member
Got a paperwhite for my wife, but I'm a little torn. My laptop of 4 years crapped out on me just last night and I'm seriously considering a tablet since I'm building a PC in January, the tablet will primarily be used by her, and for the general browsing of websites like facebook and youtube.

I don't want to get the kindle if it will be moot because of our tablet, so is there anyone with both that can comment? Is the kindle superior than most tablets when it comes to reading? She's an avid reader.

Nymerio

If she's an avid reader get the kindle. I have both a kindle and a tablet and the kindle far more comfortable to read than the tablet.

ElRenoRaven

So nice to see the thread doing well. Wanted to get a kindle for a long time. Finally after buying both my mother and sister some Fires I've bitten the bullet and picked up one too. Tomorrow really can't come soon enough. Wanted something for reading and watching videos that's bigger then my Iphone lol.

Ledsen

Got a paperwhite for my wife, but I'm a little torn. My laptop of 4 years crapped out on me just last night and I'm seriously considering a tablet since I'm building a PC in January, the tablet will primarily be used by her, and for the general browsing of websites like facebook and youtube.

I don't want to get the kindle if it will be moot because of our tablet, so is there anyone with both that can comment? Is the kindle superior than most tablets when it comes to reading? She's an avid reader.

When it comes to reading, a kindle is to a tablet as a book is to a monitor.

ElRenoRaven

When it comes to reading, a kindle is to a tablet as a book is to a monitor.

It really is. More so when you get the right cover. It feels so much like reading a real book then. Granted nothing will replace a real book. Although being able to carry thousands of books with you everywhere you go is very nice.

I have an iPad and 2 kindles (K2 and PW). I think they make great companion devices for a tablet. And are essential if you read a lot and don't like extended periods of staring into a monitor. eInk ereaders are cheap enough that it shouldn't even be a choice between. Get both.

Lumiere

Neo Member
It really is. More so when you get the right cover. It feels so much like reading a real book then. Granted nothing will replace a real book. Although being able to carry thousands of books with you everywhere you go is very nice.
Did you pick up a Fire or an eInk?
Asking cause I think that eInk Kindles can perfectly replace a real book - actually, I find it a lot more comfortable/easier to read on. I still like owning hardcovers and don't mind reading them, but I've been avoiding mass market paperbacks after getting used to the Kindle. Of course, everyone has their own preferences, but eInk is so easy on the eyes, I've probably been spoiled by it :D

So I'm on my fifth paperwhite. The first one had dust under the screen so when you'd turn the light on, you'd get sparkles. The second came with just a shipping label on it's box and was smashing to shit. The third had the dust problem, only worse and in the middle of the screen. The fourth had the same. Finally the 5th was good. No dust and no real problems besides the light being a bit uneven. During this ordeal amazon sent me an email threatening to close my account.

I'm kind of at the point where I"m thinking of just returning it. I really like this thing, it was a gift from my fiance, but Amazon's customer service on this has been attrocious. Just to get the issue with my account sorted out I was on the phone with customer service for over 5 hours. I honestly don't know if I'm going to keep doing business with amazon at all. Really disapointed.

ElRenoRaven

Did you pick up a Fire or an eInk?
Asking cause I think that eInk Kindles can perfectly replace a real book - actually, I find it a lot more comfortable/easier to read on. I still like owning hardcovers and don't mind reading them, but I've been avoiding mass market paperbacks after getting used to the Kindle. Of course, everyone has their own preferences, but eInk is so easy on the eyes, I've probably been spoiled by it :D

Fire myself. I've played around with others many times and set up the families each time. I
just prefer being able to stream videos from Amazon prime too. It's a nice plus for lunch breaks at work or when waiting for my sister to get off from her job across the hall since we carpool together.

So I'm on my fifth paperwhite. The first one had dust under the screen so when you'd turn the light on, you'd get sparkles. The second came with just a shipping label on it's box and was smashing to shit. The third had the dust problem, only worse and in the middle of the screen. The fourth had the same. Finally the 5th was good. No dust and no real problems besides the light being a bit uneven. During this ordeal amazon sent me an email threatening to close my account.

I'm kind of at the point where I"m thinking of just returning it. I really like this thing, it was a gift from my fiance, but Amazon's customer service on this has been attrocious. Just to get the issue with my account sorted out I was on the phone with customer service for over 5 hours. I honestly don't know if I'm going to keep doing business with amazon at all. Really disapointed.

I had to return my first one because it had a couple dust spots and some of the distracting green/pink blobs on the screen. If the next one is the same i'll probably just stick with my kindle3 for now and wait until the next model or something

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Got the Kindle Fire HD 7" 32gb in the mail yesterday.

I so far like it but really haven't played around too much with it. I like to know what good more I can do with it. Trip.

My Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wifi has shat itself. Resets, charge it over night to wake up to an empty battery screen, freezes all the time. It's totally fucked.

Spoke to Amazon who said I could have a Wifi Kindle for the low low price of $54 as it was out of warranty. I read that the case I have has metal contacts which eventually short circuit the Kindle and ruin it, and Amazon posted on their forums that they will replace it or refund it whenever it was purchased (the case).

What a fucking nightmare trying to sort this out. First they want to charge me for a shittier Kindle (with ads) and have no reference to a problem with the cover. Eventually after guiding me through the factory reset procedure which totally ruins the device he agrees to an out of warranty replacement, but I've had no email confirmation. Then I ask about the case, and he suggests I just keep using it. What a joke.

Is this a known problem?

I have a Kindle Keyboard wifi, and the thing is practically broke. It works fine after it has been fully charged, but that only lasts about half a day and it won't turn back on unless I plug it back in and wait for the green light. Also, when I plug it in it takes about an hour to recognise it's connected to a power source.

I use the official case, can't tell if the mechanism is metal?

Darkmakaimura

What are some really good freebie apps for the Kindle Fire HD? I got the basics and stuff like TuneIn. Are there any good free grocery list apps that total up the cost of all your items? Some other stuff too. Throw them at me, folks.

Edit: Realized this thread is very specific. Aka wrong thread.

Burger

Is this a known problem?

I have a Kindle Keyboard wifi, and the thing is practically broke. It works fine after it has been fully charged, but that only lasts about half a day and it won't turn back on unless I plug it back in and wait for the green light. Also, when I plug it in it takes about an hour to recognise it's connected to a power source.

I use the official case, can't tell if the mechanism is metal?

Yeah the clips on the official case are made of metal and for some bonehead reason are connected to each other through the spine of the case. In order to cleverly power the case with the built in light there are electric sprongs which touch the clips to send power.

The non lighted case has painted metal clips but if a bit of paint flakes off then it creates a short (it could be underneath the clip so you don't notice). I can't tell if that issue broke my kindle but you can see Amazon's response here:

http://tinyurl.com/ckpkutl

You can tell if they are metal by tapping them on your teeth, or they should be cold to your tongue.

After pointing this out to Amazon, they replied with "Yes, there was a known issue with the Kindle Leather lighted case but that was before and it was already fixed by the previous technician."

They don't even read the emails you send them.

Cr0wn0

Are you guys dealing with kindle customer service directly or just random Amazon customer service? Every time I have called the kindle cs line I have had everything taken care of in under 10 minutes. From what I understand they have a different rule set then the regular CS.

Are you guys dealing with kindle customer service directly or just random Amazon customer service? Every time I have called the kindle cs line I have had everything taken care of in under 10 minutes. From what I understand they have a different rule set then the regular CS.

I've called the Kindle service twice and got my stuff squared away super quick. I've theorized that the support they give you is based on whether or not you buy any books on the Kindle store.

Was torn between getting my mom an ipad mini and a kindle paperwhite, but since she reads more, the paperwhite was a better choice.

Originally I was going to pick it up at Best Buy for convenience, but they were sold out so I ordered the paperwhite on Friday night, and it just arrived today.

Picked up this case:
51mJl12TS-L._AA400_.jpg

and $25 Amazon kindle bucks. I'll be linking it to my account so that it can lend as well as gift over some of my ebooks (Harry Potter, Steve Jobs & Hunger Games Trilogy).

Apath

The official Amazon case is fantastic. Solid build quality and makes the kindle feel like a real book. I also really like the magnetic seal and the iPad-esque wake/sleep function. Worth the $35 I payed.

The official Amazon case is fantastic. Solid build quality and makes the kindle feel like a real book. I also really like the magnetic seal and the iPad-esque wake/sleep function. Worth the $35 I payed.

I like the look (the color's fine, though not my taste) of the case as it reminds me of my own ipad cases.

Pink I mostly chose so that my mom could find it easily.

Apath

I like the look (the color's fine, though not my taste) of the case as it reminds me of my own ipad cases.

Pink I mostly chose so that my mom could find it easily.
Haha, that's exactly how my mom went about on deciding which color she wanted. I personally went with black, as I didn't like their color selection.

Haha, that's exactly how my mom went about on deciding which color she wanted. I personally went with black, as I didn't like their color selection.

Heh nice and if it were me, I'd have gone with navy or black though I wish there was a gray color instead.

Apath

Heh nice and if it were me, I'd have gone with navy or black though I wish there was a gray color instead.
Gray was what I wanted, to match my Mini's Smart Cover. Blue was my second choice after black, but I just didn't exactly like their particular shade of blue.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I got purple. Nice color, it doesn't look as bright as in the pictures.

I'm really happy with the Paperwhite official case so far. I bring my Kindle with me everywhere, and the Kindle Touch official case got scratched pretty quickly just by sitting in my purse. The Paperwhite one looks more resistant.

Darkmakaimura

Purchased it last night. Good to know made the right choice.

BTW, is this wrong thread to talk about Kindle Fire HD or is there a separate thread for that? Seems to be very specific....

Socreges

Banned
for fucks sake...

we (international Amazon.com) cant even order Paperwhite yet and people are already talking about Paperwhite 2?
Exactly my thoughts.

My girlfriend called me upset last night because she (thought she had) ordered me a Paperwhite for Christmas and instead got a normal Kindle in the mail (surprise!). I had to gently let her down, educating her on Amazon's relationship with countries outside the US.

Kinda glad, actually. I've got a K3 with a reading light and am not sure it's worth upgrading quite yet. Paperwhite looks nice, though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Was torn between getting my mom an ipad mini and a kindle paperwhite, but since she reads more, the paperwhite was a better choice.

Originally I was going to pick it up at Best Buy for convenience, but they were sold out so I ordered the paperwhite on Friday night, and it just arrived today.

Picked up this case:
51mJl12TS-L._AA400_.jpg

and $25 Amazon kindle bucks. I'll be linking it to my account so that it can lend as well as gift over some of my ebooks (Harry Potter, Steve Jobs & Hunger Games Trilogy).

This case is SOOOO good. We bought the "leather" version of it with the Paperwhite. My wife loves it.

Got the Kindle Fire HD 7" 32gb in the mail yesterday.

I so far like it but really haven't played around too much with it. I like to know what good more I can do with it. Trip.

i got an 8.9" HD. while i think it's a nice tablet. i wouldn't trade my e-reader in though. i still want to try out the paperwhite (I have the 3G keyboard) and want a nice e-reader while in bed in the dark.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
i got an 8.9" HD. while i think it's a nice tablet. i wouldn't trade my e-reader in though. i still want to try out the paperwhite (I have the 3G keyboard) and want a nice e-reader while in bed in the dark.

I'm getting jealous of my wife's Kindle already. I tried to read on my iPad last night, and it just doesn't work as an e-reader for me. It's an amazing comic reader, but not the best for books.

Unicorn

I'm thinking I want a Kindle for Christmas, mostly because of strictly book reading and month long battery life.

A couple questions though.

-can I drag and drop files into it, such as ebooks and pdf's?
-is there a color screen version with long battery life? (for children's books and comics) I don't really want a tablet like the Fire.
-what is with the special offer edition? Is there a way to eliminate them if they are just ads?
-I've read a couple horror stories of Amazon revoking ebooks rights and people losing their entire library of purchased hooks. Is there a way to back them up outside of Amazon hosting?

Darkmakaimura

I'm thinking I want a Kindle for Christmas, mostly because of strictly book reading and month long battery life.

-is there a color screen version with long battery life? (for children's books and comics)
-what is with the social offer edition? Is there a way to eliminate them if they are just ads?
-I've read a couple horror stories of Amazon revoking ebooks rights and people losing their entire library of purchased hooks. Is there a way to back them up outside of Amazon hosting?
You'd probably want to look into a Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD. Got the Fire HD and so far, I like it.

For the Fire HD, there's a section called 'Docs' for pdfs and whatnot, so to the answer that question, yes.

The color version is the Fire and the Fire HD. The latter obviously has a higher definition screen as well as built in Dolby. The battery life is around 11 hours and that seems to be pretty accurate. Also, it has Kindle FreeTime built in which is made for kids but requires a monthly subscription.

The "special offers" are ads. It was paid an extra $15.00 so it won't have the ads, so I don't know how they look like or how intrusive they are. From what I understand, you can order it with the ads and if you decide you don't want them, pay the additional $15 later to get rid of them.

As far as Amazon revoking books rights, I don't know anything regarding that.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

-is there a color screen version with long battery life? (for children's books and comics) I don't really want a tablet like the Fire.
-what is with the special offer edition? Is there a way to eliminate them if they are just ads?

1. Yes.
2. No color version.
3. Special offers are ads you see in only two places: When the kindle is asleep and as a tiny banner at the bottom on the index that lists your books. You never see them while actually reading a book.
4. Every book you buy is downloaded to your kindle. You can back them up any time you like, to any computer you like. Drag & Drop.

Yes
Nope, only tablets have color screens right now.
Just useless ads. I believe you can buy the version without ads for a bit more, or if you get the special offers version, you can opt out of ads for a small fee ($20 I think). They aren't really intrusive, though. They only show up on the screensaver.
Not that I know of. You could remove the DRM with a third-party application, I suppose. I haven't really heard of eBooks disappearing since the 1984 fiasco, and I believe Amazon made it up to those affected.

All in all, I love my Kindle (3G with keyboard) and my reading has increased substantially since getting it.

EDIT: ah, beaten :)

Trouble

Banned
This case is SOOOO good. We bought the "leather" version of it with the Paperwhite. My wife loves it.
I got the leather case for my Paperwhite. I love it. It's pretty much like it's part of the Kindle, completely unobtrusive and auto-on/off is brilliant. You never need to touch the power button, ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just incorporate a similar cover into a future Kindle.

Ledsen

It's so weird to me when people compare and decide between a Kindle and Kindle Fire. They're completely different devices. One is an e-book reader with an e-ink screen, for reading books. The other a tablet with an LCD screen, for browsing the web, watching movies etc, and like any normal LCD screen, not really for reading for any longer period of time. You can't replace one with the other since they serve different purposes.

Top Bottom