• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Unicorn

It's so weird to me when people compare and decide between a Kindle and Kindle Fire. They're completely different devices. One is an e-book reader with an e-ink screen, for reading books. The other a tablet with an LCD screen, for browsing the web, watching movies etc, and like any normal LCD screen, not really for reading for any longer period of time. You can't replace one with the other since they serve different purposes.
Yup. Just wish there was color eink for comic reading.

How's the Nook HD? Just a different tablet?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's so weird to me when people compare and decide between a Kindle and Kindle Fire. They're completely different devices. One is an e-book reader with an e-ink screen, for reading books. The other a tablet with an LCD screen, for browsing the web, watching movies etc, and like any normal LCD screen, not really for reading for any longer period of time. You can't replace one with the other since they serve different purposes.
Yeah that's my bad. I really don't know that until about an hour ago when I looked it up. I actually didn't even know what an eInk was. I'm way off base here so I will take my Fire HD discussion to the appropriate thread.

It's certainly that easy just to back them up. Removing the DRM is, of course, another story.

You can make a copy of the files, but they will be useless without breaking the DRM unless your Kindle account has been authorized and you are connected to the internet. Which, on the topic of what the original poster was asking, isn't useful: if Amazon were to remove that book from your account as they asked (an unlikely event, yes), then that "backup" wouldn't have helped. This is why I needed to clarify.

CrankyJay

Banned
Thinking of getting a Kindle for my wife...

Opinions...regular kindle or paper white? ads/no ads?

Leaning towards ads for special offers, I hear they more than pay for the device over time.

also, if i do get the ad one, can you pay to remove them at a later time?

Thinking of getting a Kindle for my wife...

Opinions...regular kindle or paper white?
Paperwhite: higher res screen, a built in light, and a touch screen. Worth it for the price? Depends. Both are good devices.

Leaning towards ads for special offers, I hear they more than pay for the device over time.
They used to, less so much nowadays. It used to be vouchers and cheap books which were pretty great offers, but the selection is much worse than it used to be.

also, if i do get the ad one, can you pay to remove them at a later time?
Yes.

see above

The special offers were pretty good when the Paperwhite came out. I know I used some of them. But I've mostly ignored them the past month. There are a ton of ads though. I've seen up to 5 pages of "special offers". A lot of movie ads lately.

Ledsen

Yeah that's my bad. I really don't know that until about an hour ago when I looked it up. I actually didn't even know what an eInk was. I'm way off base here so I will take my Fire HD discussion to the appropriate thread.
Well I wasn't talking about you specifically, many people do this despite having an idea about the differences.

The special offers were pretty good when the Paperwhite came out. I know I used some of them. But I've mostly ignored them the past month. There are a ton of ads though. I've seen up to 5 pages of "special offers". A lot of movie ads lately.

that's what i see on my fire HD. just movie ads and electronic products. i have to go into the "offers" tab just to see some. haven't seen anything that makes me want to go buy (Except the case lol)

You rock, thanks.

Now, these ads don't pop up as you're turning pages, do they? How/when do they appear?

Only when you put the device to sleep and the last chunk of the home screen. It's not a very big deal.

It used to be "get $10 mp3 albums for $1!" or a list of really great books for $3 each. Now it's maybe a $2 MP3 credit, or a list of boring indie romance thriller books that nobody buys even when they're free.

CrankyJay

Banned
Only when you put the device to sleep and the last chunk of the home screen. It's not a very big deal.

It used to be "get $10 mp3 albums for $1!" or a list of really great books for $3 each. Now it's maybe a $2 MP3 credit, or a list of boring indie romance thriller books that nobody buys even when they're free.

Cool, ordered her one...might use it myself if she lets me.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Got my Paperwhite yesterday. Adoring it so far. Perfectly minimal in all ways. Leather case is pricey but fantastic.

Unicorn

You can make a copy of the files, but they will be useless without breaking the DRM unless your Kindle account has been authorized and you are connected to the internet. Which, on the topic of what the original poster was asking, isn't useful: if Amazon were to remove that book from your account as they asked (an unlikely event, yes), then that "backup" wouldn't have helped. This is why I needed to clarify.
Thanks for the elaboration. I hear the Nook HD is good for comics, does the Nook color use color eink or is it lcd? Any color eink on the market?

Has amazon been putting the kindles on sale anymore? Like black friday or for christmas coming up should I expect the prices to be lowered or come with a gift card or anything? My brother wants one and he's wondering if he should wait until christmas in case they do sales on the paperwhite kindle anymore.

Has amazon been putting the kindles on sale anymore? Like black friday or for christmas coming up should I expect the prices to be lowered or come with a gift card or anything? My brother wants one and he's wondering if he should wait until christmas in case they do sales on the paperwhite kindle anymore.

I've not seen any deals on eink kindles for over a month. Fires only.

Somnid

Paperwhites won't be going on sale, they have enough problems keeping them in stock. The Fire and 8.9 Fire HD are the least popular models so they've been clearing a bit of excess stock.

I've not seen any deals on eink kindles for over a month. Fires only.

Paperwhites won't be going on sale, they have enough problems keeping them in stock. The Fire and 8.9 Fire HD are the least popular models so they've been clearing a bit of excess stock.

Alright, that's what I was wondering. I saw Fires on sale but I haven't seen kindles and they used to run promos when I got my kindle keyboard ages ago and wasn't sure if they sold enough now that they didn't need to anymore. Thanks for the help!

Salsa

so how much of a bad idea would be to get a regular Kindle now that the parperwhite is out?

regular one goes for about $150 here, wich is obviously much more expensive than the US but id like to gift one to my mom (and use it occasionally myself as well) for christmas and I cant find a paperwhite anywhere locally. Is the no-light aspect that much of a bummer?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
alright, if everything goes well im set to get a Kindle 4 2011 model (couldnt find the newest but meh) tomorrow
I hope your mom likes it! I was more than a bit hesitant when I got my first Kindle, but the Paperwhite has Changed Everything™.

MasLegio

Banned
so how much of a bad idea would be to get a regular Kindle now that the parperwhite is out?

regular one goes for about $150 here, wich is obviously much more expensive than the US but id like to gift one to my mom (and use it occasionally myself as well) for christmas and I cant find a paperwhite anywhere locally. Is the no-light aspect that much of a bummer?

have you tried ordering the regular from amazon.com?

would still probably be cheaper than buying it locally

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
KINDLE 3 keyboard device completely frozen on special offers screensaver, when plugged into computer registers as "SE BLANK RINGO" device. called amazon customer service who had no fix. charged the kindle completely to no avail. internet searches turn up no solutions.

do any of you kindle wiz kids know what to do? halp!

Salsa

have you tried ordering the regular from amazon.com?

would still probably be cheaper than buying it locally

customs are a bummer, I would most likely have to pay a fee that would surpass the price. We're also going in vacation soon and I wanted it for that, so no waiting is also a plus

I hope your mom likes it! I was more than a bit hesitant when I got my first Kindle, but the Paperwhite has Changed Everything™.

sister making a US trip in May. If I end up loving this i'll probably ask her to bring a couple paperwhites

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Just got a Kindle PaperWhite from my girlfriend, no ads, and shit is NICE. I just picked up the orange amazon-featured case, with the magnets and all that other Paperwhite specific stuff aka this. I'm pretty pumped to get to reading on it. I got it last night and I'm at work now.

Socreges

Banned
GF tries to order Paperwhite (from Canada). Receives standard Kindle, instead (which she plans to return for a refund). Two days later she then receives another standard Kindle, despite only paying for one.

Does Amazon do this often? I'd expect they lose quite a bit of money this way since most people just keep the item instead of sending it back.

GF tries to order Paperwhite (from Canada). Receives standard Kindle, instead (which she plans to return for a refund). Two days later she then receives another standard Kindle, despite only paying for one.

Does Amazon do this often? I'd expect they lose quite a bit of money this way since most people just keep the item instead of sending it back.

you positive she's clicking paperwhite? lol

Salsa

Just got the 4. Loving it. Question tho: is it normal for the screen to make a barely audible (only when youre putting your ear near it really) squeal/high pitched noise when it refreshes? lasts only a second

Just got the 4. Loving it. Question tho: is it normal for the screen to make a barely audible (only when youre putting your ear near it really) squeal/high pitched noise when it refreshes? lasts only a second

You're probably just able to hear electronics. I can hear things like battery chargers, "off" tv's, etc. It can be very annoying when you notice it.

Salsa

You're probably just able to hear electronics. I can hear things like battery chargers, "off" tv's, etc. It can be very annoying when you notice it.

It does sound kinda electrical yeah. Oh well its not like turning a page on a real book doesnt cause noise too, lol

mainly just wondering if anyone else heard it or if it was faulty

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Its really faint and id be surprised if it wasnt just the way the tech works, idk how you could "break it" thos way fpr example

like a short "bzzz" when you have your ear up to it as you turn a page

Huh. I just tried this and yeah, it does make a very faint noise when you turn the page. Can only hear it when I basically have it pressed to my ear, though.

B33

Banned
I just received the Kindle Paperwhite as an early Christmas gift.

What's considered "normal" for deficiencies in the screen?

I don't notice any discoloration, but there are two pin-sized "holes" where the light seeps through toward the bottom of the screen. It doesn't detract from the reading experience, as you have to carefully stare to find the two tiny spots.

Is this considered normal? My iMac has two dead pixels on it toward the bottom (it came this way), and Apple's official stance states such occurrences are acceptable in modicums (they won't replace the panel unless it's more than ten or so).

Does anyone else have similar observations to share regarding the Paperwhite's screen? Is it worth the trouble of having the unit replaced? Would Amazon consider this worthy of a replacement Kindle?

Edit: I ordered a replacement.

Ledsen

I just received the Kindle Paperwhite as an early Christmas gift.

What's considered "normal" for deficiencies in the screen?

I don't notice any discoloration, but there are two pin-sized "holes" where the light seeps through toward the bottom of the screen. It doesn't detract from the reading experience, as you have to carefully stare to find the two tiny spots.

Is this considered normal? My iMac has two dead pixels on it toward the bottom (it came this way), and Apple's official stance states such occurrences are acceptable in modicums (they won't replace the panel unless it's more than ten or so).

Does anyone else have similar observations to share regarding the Paperwhite's screen? Is it worth the trouble of having the unit replaced? Would Amazon consider this worthy of a replacement Kindle?

Edit: I ordered a replacement.

I think all PW's have uneven lighting/light bleed at the bottom. You'll probably have to wait for PW2 for an improvement.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So while I was reading a book I looked up the full definition of the word. Cool, read it, opened the menu and hit the back arrow and to my surprise from then on pages refreshed/loaded much faster.

Anyone know of anything like that?

Socreges

Banned
Damn Soc, I'd just order you one if you wanted to meet near the Buffalo/US border.
Compromise: let's meet at the B.C./Washington border!

Thanks for the thought. Hoping the Paperwhite is available here by Feb. For now my reading light + K3 is working fine.

Any ideas about Amazon shipping a second Kindle by accident? If the person decides to keep the extra one, is Amazon out of luck?

Top Bottom