• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Ledsen

I think it's more convenient, although my biggest problem with the Kindle is that I never purchased books before, so it's difficult to start buying them, knowing I'll probably never reread them. I consider the price of each book a sort of fee to enjoy the book with all of the conveniences of the Kindle: the frontlight of the Paperwhite makes it easy to read in dark, the size makes it easy to carry around on the train, I don't need to worry about breaking spines or folding back pages (which is admittedly more of a me problem than a book problem) and it's significantly easier to read one-handed (which is, again, useful on trains), I don't have to worry about bookmarks, X-Ray makes it easy to search for characters and motifs (which comes in handy for essays), I can ensure (with some exceptions) that the typeface will be to my liking, and I can check out books from my (formerly) local library despite now living half the country away.

I used my Keyboard sparingly, but I'm loving my Paperwhite, and it's the first time I can say that an e-reader is an enhancement of the reading experience, and not simply a novelty.

I feel that carrying around a library with a search function and e-ink screen in your pocket ensured the Kindle was anything but a novelty from the first.

Amazon replaced my two year out of warranty kindle with the newest model for like $40, which I then sold six months later for like $90 and got the paper white.

coopolon

Amazon replaced my two year out of warranty kindle with the newest model for like $40, which I then sold six months later for like $90 and got the paper white.

Amazon laughed at me when I told them my kindle keyboard was breaking down (a few months out of warranty) and offered me a $5 coupon. So I guess YMMV.

vazel

Banned
Why did you purchase the Kindle as opposed to merely buying the book/books you wanted? Is reading on a Kindle actually more convenient than reading a paperback?
When I bought my Kindle 3 I threw away all my paperbacks and hardcovers that had an ebook version. It was really nice to get rid of all that clutter.

Also, Kindles never yellow and they never stink.

Just thought I'd pop in and say:

I purchased a Paperwhite. It changed everything for me, and I adore it. I've read more books in the past month than I have in the past five years.

Clipse

Having four dark circles (best way I can describe it) at the bottom of the screen is completely normal, correct? Did a quick Google search and it seems to be the norm, but just wanted to ask here too. Other than that, I'm loving my first e-reader!

Having four dark circles (best way I can describe it) at the bottom of the screen is completely normal, correct? Did a quick Google search and it seems to be the norm, but just wanted to ask here too. Other than that, I'm loving my first e-reader!

Yes, it's a problem if the areas between the dark blobs are bright white to the point of being distracting.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Re-posting for the new page:

Got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas, and I have a few questions:

1. Is there a definitive method for editing tags/metadata on ebooks and getting them onto my Kindle with all of the correct information displaying?

I have the Paperwhite and I also use the Kindle app on my iPhone. I use Calibre for updating the metadata, adding a cover photo, etc. I've tried using both the email address and the Mac app for delivery of the documents. The cover goes through to the iPhone app, but the not to the Paperwhite (the cover is just the title and author instead of the image). I haven't tried using Calibre to do the actual delivery of the documents yet, nor have I tried directly copying them via USB. Is either of those a more reliable method?

2. Are whispersync and and x-ray available for ebooks not purchased via Amazon (so, ebooks uploaded as personal documents)? I imagine the latter is probably not and is tied to the purchase from Amazon's servers, or something, but I also can't get the "sync to furthest page read" to work between my iPhone and Paperwhite.

3. Is there any way to make uploaded ebooks show up under "Books" or will they always be considered "Docs"? I'd prefer the PDFs I upload be under "Docs" while the ebooks I upload be under "Books".

4. Is it possible to get a personal document > 50 MB into the Amazon cloud "personal document" store (whatever they call it)? If not, can I at least get it onto my Kindle somehow?

Got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas, and I have a few questions:

1. Is there a definitive method for editing tags/metadata on ebooks and getting them onto my Kindle with all of the correct information displaying? Calibre really is the only thing around these days aside from cracking it open and hand editing the files yourself.

I have the Paperwhite and I also use the Kindle app on my iPhone. I use Calibre for updating the metadata, adding a cover photo, etc. I've tried using both the email address and the Mac app for delivery of the documents. The cover goes through to the iPhone app, but the not to the Paperwhite (the cover is just the title and author instead of the image). I haven't tried using Calibre to do the actual delivery of the documents yet, nor have I tried directly copying them via USB. Is either of those a more reliable method? You should just try it; you have nothing to lose. It's possible that Calibre sends along more metadata when you email it through the application, but I doubt it.

2. Are whispersync and and x-ray available for ebooks not purchased via Amazon (so, ebooks uploaded as personal documents)? Yes and No respectively. I imagine the latter is probably not and is tied to the purchase from Amazon's servers, or something, but I also can't get the "sync to furthest page read" to work between my iPhone and Paperwhite. That one should be available, in theory. Make sure the setting is set on your Amazon account under the Manage your kindle area. I've had issues with this as well.

3. Is there any way to make uploaded ebooks show up under "Books" or will they always be considered "Docs"? I'd prefer the PDFs I upload be under "Docs" while the ebooks I upload be under "Books". I don't know, but you could try transferring via USB.

4. Is it possible to get a personal document > 50 MB into the Amazon cloud "personal document" store (whatever they call it)? Probably not. If not, can I at least get it onto my Kindle somehow? USB cable? Assuming the Kindle even reads something that big. Biggest I've dealt with was 18 MB.

Answered to the best of my knowledge in bold. Much of what you ask is just wonky shit that nobody fully understands because Amazon doesn't take anything that isn't their storefront very seriously.

Re-posting for the new page:

For covers on the paperwhite, you have to either convert the file to .azw or convert/reconvert it to the same format and remove the [PDOC] tag and make it an [EBOK] tag

captureybcid.png

Otherwise it shows up as a personal document instead of an ebook. I just convert them to .azw though since its easier. Seems like azw files are slightly larger though. azw aren't compatible with all devices though, i'm not sure if they work on the android app or not

Also sometimes reconverting can change the formatting of the book. Like it'll introduce spaces between paragraphs, which is really annoying to me. Another reason to just convert everything to azw and keep your mobis or whatever around for other devices

Dunno if you can change the personal document tag on a pdf or something without converting it.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Answered to the best of my knowledge in bold. Much of what you ask is just wonky shit that nobody fully understands because Amazon doesn't take anything that isn't their storefront very seriously.

For covers on the paperwhite, you have to either convert the file to .azw or convert/reconvert it to the same format and remove the [PDOC] tag and make it an [EBOK] tag

captureybcid.png

Otherwise it shows up as a personal document instead of an ebook. I just convert them to .azw though since its easier. Seems like azw files are slightly larger though. azw aren't compatible with all devices though, i'm not sure if they work on the android app or not

Also sometimes reconverting can change the formatting of the book. Like it'll introduce spaces between paragraphs, which is really annoying to me. Another reason to just convert everything to azw and keep your mobis or whatever around for other devices

Dunno if you can change the personal document tag on a pdf or something without converting it.

Thanks, guys. Two more small questions:

1. Why can't I use the Send To Kindle app to send .azw3 files? It takes just about any other format I could think of (besides .epub).

2. Normally on the Paperwhite, when I download a file from the personal document cloud and onto the device, it appears in the Device list and disappears from the Cloud list. When I try to "delete" it from the device, it says "Remove from this Device". However, for a couple of books, they appear in both the Cloud and Device lists, and when I try to "delete" it from the device it says "Delete this Document". Both books in question happen to be on the larger side (> 2 MB), but that could be a coincidence.

It seems like ultimately, most of the quirks I've come across are related to Amazon's cloud personal document storage service. Maybe I should just stop using that and load everything locally? It's not like I really use my iPhone to read eBooks anymore anyway, so I don't need the doc syncing, which is the only advantage using their cloud store has.

Thanks, guys. Two more small questions:

1. Why can't I use the Send To Kindle app to send .azw3 files? It takes just about any other format I could think of (besides .epub). Probably because they figure you're getting the file from them (it's the only way to get azw3 files) so why would you need to use the STK program?

2. Normally on the Paperwhite, when I download a file from the personal document cloud and onto the device, it appears in the Device list and disappears from the Cloud list. When I try to "delete" it from the device, it says "Remove from this Device". However, for a couple of books, they appear in both the Cloud and Device lists, and when I try to "delete" it from the device it says "Delete this Document". Both books in question happen to be on the larger side (> 2 MB), but that could be a coincidence. Might be some weird bug, or it detects something about your documents or something. Likely inconsequential.

It seems like ultimately, most of the quirks I've come across are related to Amazon's cloud personal document storage service. Maybe I should just stop using that and load everything locally? It's not like I really use my iPhone to read eBooks anymore anyway, so I don't need the doc syncing, which is the only advantage using their cloud store has.

I load everything locally on my Kindle Keyboard and never have any issues. But then I also don't need covers or have to deal with the Paperlight's new menu system either. It all basically loads the same.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I've got a dumb question for GAF: can you not use an amazon.ca gift card to buy a Kindle? My gift card balance is on the Canadian site but to order a Kindle it redirects me to amazon.com where it no longer shows I have a gift card balance.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Alright, I have read an entire book now on the Paperwhite and I have come to the confusion that had it not been given to me as a gift, I would definitely not have bothered to pick one up. The K3 is still king, in my book. Easier to hold, take notes, has more memory, external speakers and a headphone jack. I barely notice any difference in the screen resolution, they're nearly identical.

What I can say about the Paperwhite that it is indeed great if you share a bed with someone and like to read at night, I found this feature so wondufully useful while I was living with my ex. Furthermore, the Paperwhite is somewhere lighter to hold, which I also like. However, the Amazon leather case adds both significant bulk and weight.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Now that I have what I posted above out of my system, I can ask: How do I change the screensaver on my jailbroken Paperwhite? I want to add my old wallpapers from my K3, even though I have to edit them since I had added the "Slide and release the power switch to wake" banner at the bottom of all the wallpapers. :(

bangai-o

Banned
Alright, I have read an entire book now on the Paperwhite and I have come to the confusion that had it not been given to me as a gift, I would definitely not have bothered to pick one up. The K3 is still king, in my book. Easier to hold, take notes, has more memory, external speakers and a headphone jack. I barely notice any difference in the screen resolution, they're nearly identical.

What I can say about the Paperwhite that it is indeed great if you share a bed with someone and like to read at night, I found this feature so wondufully useful while I was living with my ex. Furthermore, the Paperwhite is somewhere lighter to hold, which I also like. However, the Amazon leather case adds both significant bulk and weight.

I was using K3 extensively for note-taking last year, but Paperwhite is much better. The response time on commands is faster than K3 and touching with index finger, middle finger, and ring finger using one hand is easier than using 2 thumbs on the k3 pad. When the instructor shuts down the lights for powerpoint, you do not have to worry about not being able to see your screen either.

Ratrat

So what kind of improvements are people expecting for the next iteration? Will the resolution be upped? Contrast? Will color ever happen?

So what kind of improvements are people expecting for the next iteration? Will the resolution be upped? Contrast? Will color ever happen?

I hope/expect they'll work out the bad light-uniformity issues. If they do, I'll buy one. The resolution is fine to me, but the UI could use a lot of work.

O.DOGG

I'm still hoping for page turn buttons - the only thing that stopped me from getting a Paperwhite.

flippedb

Banned
I'm pulling the trigger on a PW, I'm getting it for ~$150 because of the shipping and taxes, but before I do, is there any chance a new Kindle is coming out soon? Not that I'm expecting PW's price to drop, but I'd like to get the top of the line device.

I'm pulling the trigger on a PW, I'm getting it for ~$150 because of the shipping and taxes, but before I do, is there any chance a new Kindle is coming out soon? Not that I'm expecting PW's price to drop, but I'd like to get the top of the line device.

If their history is any indicator, not until at least September.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm still hoping that a suitable color tech comes along in the next couple of years on tie Kindle. It's quite difficult reading graphs in the WSJ and magazines without color. I'd personally like to see physical buttons make their way back to a new device and faster page turns on a lighter product would be nice too (under 7 oz, like the K4, would be fantastic).

Ledsen

Has anyone imported a kindle through borderlinx etc? Thinking of snagging a US one because it's not out in Sweden yet and god knows how long it'll take. Ive got a Kindle 3 already and have no problems using it, buying etc, but I bought that one officially from Amazon themselves.

I recently bought the Paperwhite 3g and (I may be a little dumb here) I can't use the internet browser on 3g. What the fuck is this shit? £60 extra just to be able to download a book via 3g, what a crock of shit.

MasLegio

Banned
Has anyone imported a kindle through borderlinx etc? Thinking of snagging a US one because it's not out in Sweden yet and god knows how long it'll take. Ive got a Kindle 3 already and have no problems using it, buying etc, but I bought that one officially from Amazon themselves.

might be some trouble using books between two different kindles meant for two different markets

I have been gifted books from my brother who uses US kindle and ended up not being able to use some of them since I have an international kindle.

I'm still hoping that a suitable color tech comes along in the next couple of years on tie Kindle. It's quite difficult reading graphs in the WSJ and magazines without color. I'd personally like to see physical buttons make their way back to a new device and faster page turns on a lighter product would be nice too (under 7 oz, like the K4, would be fantastic).

Didn't page turns get faster with the Paperwhite? I feel like that was an improvement with that model.

Ledsen

might be some trouble using books between two different kindles meant for two different markets

I have been gifted books from my brother who uses US kindle and ended up not being able to use some of them since I have an international kindle.

Isn't that because some US books aren't available on the international US kindle store? Shouldn't be a problem unless I buy a US-only book on the PW and try to put it on the Klndle 3, which won't happen (I'm giving it to my gf).

teiresias

I recently bought the Paperwhite 3g and (I may be a little dumb here) I can't use the internet browser on 3g. What the fuck is this shit? £60 extra just to be able to download a book via 3g, what a crock of shit.

It's always been like this. It's to make purchasing books easier if you happen to be without WiFi. Your extra cash is just subsidizing enough bandwidth for the small eBook files over the life of the device not a freaking data plan for internet usage. Besides anyone buying a kindle and planning to use the browser with any regularity is doing it wrong.

It's always been like this. It's to make purchasing books easier if you happen to be without WiFi. Your extra cash is just subsidizing enough bandwidth for the small eBook files over the life of the device not a freaking data plan for internet usage. Besides anyone buying a kindle and planning to use the browser with any regularity is doing it wrong.

Not any regularity, only in a pinch. Might send it back for the wi-fi only version.

The Keyboard models allow web browsing over 3G, but you're right in saying that it's basically useless. Even if you have incredible patience, a lot of websites simply don't work (unless you shoot them through some third party wrapper). Some regions have data limitations on the 3G data pull, but there hasn't been conclusive numbers.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Not any regularity, only in a pinch. Might send it back for the wi-fi only version.
Another interesting thing about 3G on the Paperwhite (not sure about previous versions) is that it cannot be used to download library books. I can understand that Amazon is trying to save their bandwidth only for books purchased from them, but the limitation on library downloads was still a let down.

bangai-o

Banned
Was worried after seeing so mucg talk about the light quality of the paperwhite, but I can't see anything wrong with mine so I guess I've been lucky.

i think the people who own it and are reading on it, are happy with it. while the people who only seen pictures of the shadows are not happy.

i think the people who own it and are reading on it, are happy with it. while the people who only seen pictures of the shadows are not happy.

Yeah, people like Baconsammy who get screwed over multiple times are in a small minority, there's no reason to hesitate buying one. My sister, my mom and I all got one for Christmas and all three look amazing.

Full brightness in moderately lit room

Full brightness dark room

Setting I usually use at night in a dark room

Last picture didn't turn out great, probably because I'm using an iPod Touch for a camera, but I'm really happy with my Paperwhite. I don't really care about having a color screen on it and I'm happy with the light and resolution so I'll likely use this one until it dies.

kottila

Yeah, people like Baconsammy who get screwed over multiple times are in a small minority, there's no reason to hesitate buying one. My sister, my mom and I all got one for Christmas and all three look amazing.

Full brightness in moderately lit room

Full brightness dark room

Setting I usually use at night in a dark room

Last picture didn't turn out great, probably because I'm using an iPod Touch for a camera, but I'm really happy with my Paperwhite. I don't really care about having a color screen on it and I'm happy with the light and resolution so I'll likely use this one until it dies.

Not sure why the brightness goes that high, even in pitch dark I have it set at 4 or 5

Top Bottom