• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Didn't page turns get faster with the Paperwhite? I feel like that was an improvement with that model.

Oh definitely faster, but it is still lacking. When I'm reading the newspaper I sometimes jump back and forth a few pages and there is still considerable delay, though much improved.

Not sure why the brightness goes that high, even in pitch dark I have it set at 4 or 5

It's all about perceived contrast. I'll sometimes put it up to 18 or so in a pretty well lit room but the light source is in front of me so the screen is shadowed. In pitch black you have to keep it low, because at 25 that's a high contrast for your eyes.

sgossard

Now that they're shipping to the 3rd world I'm really tempted to get a PW.

Thing is I have no complaints about my old Keyboard model. Is the upgrade really worth it?

Can you really read comfortably in a pitch dark room with the PW?

DagsJT

Thing is I have no complaints about my old Keyboard model. Is the upgrade really worth it?

Yep. The brightness levels are great and you have a lot of choice on his much light it gives. The brightest is super bright.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine color e-ink ever looking good, and I don't really get why people want it so much. Anything with enough detail to warrant actually wanting color (photographs, color magazine-quality print and design, etc) is just not ever going to look good on a non-LCD screen, period. Anything else can probably do just fine in black/white.

I can see some arguments being made for graphs/charts in textbooks needing color, but there are ways around that (patterns, etc).

Who knows, maybe advances in color e-ink tech will blow me away over the next few years and I'll be totally wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it, personally. Then again, in 2006 if you had told me that I'd have a device as powerful, versatile and tiny as modern smartphones in ~5 years, I would've laughed as well given the state of mp3 players, PDAs, and other similar precursor devices.

Is it normal to have "light leakage" on the sides of the paperwhite? I've noticed that there are some brighter splotches of light on the bottom sides of my paperwhite, and althought it's not too noticeable, it's a bit distracting reading in the dark.

MasLegio

Banned

what?"!

they are shipping to africa but not to EU (Sweden)

what are amazon doing?

Rootbeer

Banned
Is it normal to have "light leakage" on the sides of the paperwhite? I've noticed that there are some brighter splotches of light on the bottom sides of my paperwhite, and althought it's not too noticeable, it's a bit distracting reading in the dark.

Yes it is normal and yes it is quite distracting at first but it's easy to live with once you start getting into your book. Thankfully it is not that bad. Love my paperwhite but I really hope they can address this in future paperwhite models.

I agree with some above comments that it is an issue that seems worse until you own a paperwhite and start using it. It's not a dealbreaker by no means. Just an 'imperfection' in the design -- anytime you are dealing with epaper there are tradeoffs. if it's not the page turn speed/refresh rate it's the 'ghosting' effect, if it's not that it's the paperwhite lite shadows, if it's not that it's that color epaper looks 'dull', if it's not that... well, point being, it's an ever improving technology and I'm happy to be a part of it.

coopolon

I've had my paperwhite since launch and have never once even noticed the uneven lighting at the bottom, much less be bothered by it.

Then again, I was never bothered by ghosting or page turn speed on my kindle keyboard.

So I guess I'm pretty easy going when it comes to e-ink readers.

it's noticeable but it doesn't bother me at all because it has no effect on the reading experience, I was pleasantly surprised by how fast the page turns. I can read much faster now

DagsJT

The lighting at the bottom was annoying for me when I first started using the Paperwhite but I barely notice now (after a few weeks).

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
So can someone please tell me how I can replace my Kindle wallpapers or creepy authors with my own? Also, does anyone have the wallpapers that were posted on this thread a few years back when the K3 was released? I'd like to use the same wallpapers on the Paperwhite (I added the slide to wake bar on the ones I still have).

flippedb

Banned
I got mine today. It's got a few colored blotches, but nothing too big, so I don't care. PDFs work pretty nice, which is why I was concerned. The screen looks really nice, but the lighting could be a little more even (specially at the bottom of the screen)

If I bought a book on my Amazon account, is there any way to "give" the book to my wife so we can read it on her Kindle?

It seems you are implying you have two separate Amazon accounts. What you should do is just have the Kindles on one account. I believe a book can be downloaded to at least 5 separate (some are infinite) devices per account at a time.

I know in the past Amazon hasn't really raised a stink over people deregistering and moving Kindles between accounts, but I'm not sure if they pay more attention to that now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have an iPad and had the kindle app. She has a Kindle and just got an Amazon account with it. So I want to migrate my few purchases over. If not, it's not a huge deal. I was just checking if it were even possible.

flippedb

Banned
I think I remember there being a lend programme with Kindle books. Maybe I'm just imagining it, you should look up if that exists.

jayb

I think I remember there being a lend programme with Kindle books. Maybe I'm just imagining it, you should look up if that exists.

Yeah, I believe that you can lend a book one time for 14 days to someone else.

there's no way to transfer ownership of a kindle book.

seeds19

Banned
My new paperwhite is on it's way to home, finally i was able to purchase the wifi version here in spain, mi old kindle is now my wife's kindle, no more problems xD.

Hey guys.
I was just wondering how long do your Kindles last for between charges?

I've had a Kindle Touch for about 4 months now and it usually lasts 1 to 2 weeks between charges. I use it less than an hour a day if I even use it at all.
I read somewhere that Kindles are able to go months between recharging or am I just making stuff up?

Hey guys.

I've had a Kindle Touch for about 4 months now and it usually lasts 1 to 2 weeks between charges. I use it less than an hour a day if I even use it at all.
I read somewhere that Kindles are able to go months between recharging or am I just making stuff up?

A few months is too high. A few weeks is pretty average for moderate reading and the wi-fi being turned on every few days.

The only real battery suckers are page refreshes, wi-fi, and any active content that does computation, so it's dependent on how much you do any of them.

A few months is too high. A few weeks is pretty average for moderate reading and the wi-fi being turned on every few days.

The only real battery suckers are page refreshes, wi-fi, and any active content that does computation, so it's dependent on how much you do any of them.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure where I got that few months quote from.
Though it does get annoying sometimes when you are on the bus and the "your battery level is too low" sign pops up.
I guess I should get into the habit of recharging it more often rather than just leaving it on the table.

My Paperwhite has been lasting me a month. I use it about an hour per day, the light level is 5, and I turn on the wifi for a few minutes every 5 or so days.

Amazon says it should last 2 months with wifi off, a half hour of reading a day, and light level 10.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Got a Paper White for my wife's early birthday gift. Pretty fantastic all around and a great price (I paid 200 for my shitty sony ereader back in the day).

We can put our own books on this...right...? :(

Joe Hill's "Horns" is the Kindle Daily Deal for $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036F6WYO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

41y5fYWllTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Always nice when something on your wishlist shows up for the daily deal.

Hey guys.

I have the paperwhite and it goes close to a month between charges. I use it two hours a day. Light level 7 for an hour in the morning, light level 14 for an hour in the afternoon, airplane mode on at all time unless I'm syncing.

flippedb

Banned
I had to use my real address for the Kindle, since Amazon detected I'm not in the US and they were going to block my account if I didn't do so. I hope I don't lose the chance to buy some books, that would suck.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The lighting at the bottom was annoying for me when I first started using the Paperwhite but I barely notice now (after a few weeks).

Mine is noticable but not so bad if i turn the brightness way down, which I do even in daylight - I don't have a particular desire for the page to be bright white

MasLegio

Banned
forget last post

Paperwhite now ships to Sweden!

WOOT!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OZO03M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

uh....
Shipping & handling: $32.96
Import Fees Deposit $62.26
$273.21

lol. removing power adapter lowered final price to
Shipping & handling: $26.97
Import Fees Deposit $46.49
$231.46

also, for some strange reason they increase the price of the adapter from the offer of 9.99 to 19.99 when I put it in the cart

Bought Kindle Paperwhite and Sleeve from amazon. Do not need another adapter since I already have one for my Kindle Keyboard and the USB cable following the paperwhite can charge it as well. Since the total price increases by quite a lot for every accessory you add I suggest you only buy the Kindle from Amazon.com and then buy additional accessories from Amazon.co.uk or other webshops in EU (or wherever you live).

Ledsen

forget last post

Paperwhite now ships to Sweden!

WOOT!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OZO03M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

uh....
Shipping & handling: $32.96
Import Fees Deposit $62.26
$273.21

lol. removing power adapter lowered final price to
Shipping & handling: $26.97
Import Fees Deposit $46.49
$231.46

also, for some strange reason they increase the price of the adapter from the offer of 9.99 to 19.99 when I put it in the cart

Bought Kindle Paperwhite and Sleeve from amazon. Do not need another adapter since I already have one for my Kindle Keyboard and the USB cable following the paperwhite can charge it as well. Since the total price increases by quite a lot for every accessory you add I suggest you only buy the Kindle from Amazon.com and then buy additional accessories from Amazon.co.uk or other webshops in EU (or wherever you live).

Actually $230 isn't that bad, nice! I'll get a $5 case from ebay like i did for my kindle 3.

edit: Just bought one! Pretty sure it wasn't quite as much as $231?

Items: SEK 932,45
Shipping & handling: SEK 140,74
------
Total before tax: SEK 1 073,19
Estimated tax to be collected: USD 0.00
Import Fees Deposit SEK 268,33
------
Order total: SEK 1 341,52

MasLegio

Banned
Actually $230 isn't that bad, nice! I'll get a $5 case from ebay like i did for my kindle 3.

edit: Just bought one! Pretty sure it wasn't quite as much as $231?

Items: SEK 932,45
Shipping & handling: SEK 140,74
------
Total before tax: SEK 1 073,19
Estimated tax to be collected: USD 0.00
Import Fees Deposit SEK 268,33
------
Order total: SEK 1 341,52

yes, I bought a sleeve for 19.99$ as well, that probably cost me at least 30 $ with the extra costs....

total ended on ca 1495 sek

Top Bottom