• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

And going through the summer deals for kindle, there are two books I bought a couple weeks ago but haven't read yet that are on sale. :lol Figures with my luck!

Sleepy

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Was it literally beginning of sentence to end of sentence, like to the period? I've never seen a problem with that but with video reviews it will hope a word in either direction at times for seemingly no reason.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. When I tried to highlight a sentence, only the first and last word were highlighted. Does this help?

"Hopping" would be the perfect way to describe how the highlighting on the new Nook looked.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And going through the summer deals for kindle, there are two books I bought a couple weeks ago but haven't read yet that are on sale. :lol Figures with my luck!

Maybe Amazon will pricematch?

Help Me! said:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. When I tried to highlight a sentence, only the first and last word were highlighted. Does this help?

"Hopping" would be the perfect way to describe how the highlighting on the new Nook looked.

Maybe Amazon will pricematch?

Didn't realize you were talking about the new nook, I got confused. Sorry about that! And no they won't pricematch since they only do returns within 7 days and it's been like 2 weeks. It's only couple bucks but just funny that when I finally caved and bought some early to have them on the device those are the ones on sale.

Sleepy

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Didn't realize you were talking about the new nook, I got confused. Sorry about that! And no they won't pricematch since they only do returns within 7 days and it's been like 2 weeks. It's only couple bucks but just funny that when I finally caved and bought some early to have them on the device those are the ones on sale.

No worries. Shame about the sale. I need to check out that Kindle sale, even though I have like 40+ books waiting.

Carlisle

I just got a new nook (I've accepted the fact that I'm a gadget whore) and so far I love it. The reduced form factor and crazy light weight are like a whole new reading experience for me.

Help Me! said:
I will agree with this. Even highlighting words was difficult. Trying to highlight entire passages was damn impossible for me. The "highlighting" was jumpy and at the end the screen would look something like this:

Some people have a difficult time with the highlighting feature.

Where I wanted to highlight the entire sentence, but only the first and last words would be highlighted. Really frustrating. I tried to get it to work for a few minutes, too. Until the person behind me started getting antsy, and I gave up.
I just tried it out and I didn't have any trouble at all. It's as intuitive as text selection on an iPad, and I was able to select the desired text right away without any jumpiness. Maybe there was something glitchy about the model you were testing on.

womp said:
As for the interface, outside the original Nook's horrible one, they are pretty redundant at this point since you will be spending the bulk of your time reading and not playing around in menus much. This isn't an iPhone after all.

That said, Kindle 3 works works perfectly fine with its D-Pad/center button. If you want touch that badly, well, here ya go....But I think the above things are more important at this point of the game.
The touch isn't about trying be more like an iPhone or playing around menus so much as it is about eliminating the keyboard, uncluttering the face, and reducing the weight. All you have is what you need: text. Kinda like a book.

manics said:
Once you get down to reading a book on the device, does the new Nook REALLY make it any easier to read? The screen in the same as Kindle 3. Sure there's less black screen flash, but is this a huge annoyance for you? I'm reading far more books and far more quickly than I ever have before with the Kindle. I don't see that the new Nook will be a drastic change other than their new interface with pretty pictures.
New interface is all that ever changes with these devices. From Kindle 1 to 2 to 3 to Nook to Kobo to Sony, e-ink tech is largely unchanged for years, so new hardware updates the UI instead. And that's all we consumers really can compare from one device to the next. None of them have any differences that are remotely 'drastic'. Once you've seen one you've seen them all.

But to answer your question, nope, the only difference in the actual book reading experience is the refresh rate. However, the magazine/newspaper reading experience is vastly improved by the touch screen. It's like night and day. I only read books on my reader though so its a moot point for me. I'm more about the new form and reduced weight personally.

I'm extremely jealous of Amazon's CS and returns policy though. I think BN makes you pay $30 for the same kind of service for 2 years. I've got 2 weeks to decide if I want it... Bleh, can't make up my mind.

Anyone have an idea about what's going to happen to the Kindle app on the iOS platforms? It's the main thing I do on those platforms besides texting and phone calls.

Sleepy

Carlisle said:
I just tried it out and I didn't have any trouble at all. It's as intuitive as text selection on an iPad, and I was able to select the desired text right away without any jumpiness. Maybe there was something glitchy about the model you were testing on.

I'll check out another store, just to be sure, but I thought it felt kinda flimsy, too. Choosing an e-reader is turning into much more work than it needs to be. lol

Carlisle

Help Me! said:
I'll check out another store, just to be sure, but I thought it felt kinda flimsy, too. Choosing an e-reader is turning into much more work than it needs to be. lol
I know your pain. E-ink is the same and will provide largely the same reading experience on just about every device. So it comes down to weighing all the tiny little differences against each other. And they're so minimal it's hard to decide which to give a crap about. I went through the same thing a couple years ago when I decided on my first Nook.

What ended up pushing me that way was having physical stores around where you can go in with a nook and peruse their entire ebook library for free. Didn't have anything to do with how I read my books. And the best part is after 2 years and 2 Nooks, I've still never used that feature. :lol

Manics

Banned
Reading is reading. Even if Amazon puts out a Kindle 4 next year I don't think I'd upgrade unless something was wrong with my Kindle 3. Touchscreen might be nice but not something that would make me upgrade. Color e-ink? Maybe but really I don't read magazines or comics so even that would be a waste.

Sleepy

Went back to Target to futz around with the Kindle again. I think I like it better than the Nook, but no touch screen kinda sucks for navigating footnotes, chapters, etc. I'm not getting an e-reader until next month, so I guess I have time to decide.

I like Amazon better than B&N-- maybe that's the answer.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Help Me! said:
Went back to Target to futz around with the Kindle again. I think I like it better than the Nook, but no touch screen kinda sucks for navigating footnotes, chapters, etc. I'm not getting an e-reader until next month, so I guess I have time to decide.

Here's a pretty good review.

http://www.marco.org/2011/06/03/nook-simple-touch-review

The bottom line was that he liked the Nook hardware more, but preferred the Amazon ecosystem. I think that's a pretty fair assessment, though, as someone else pointed out before, Calibre can be a great friend.

Sleepy

commish said:
Here's a pretty good review.

Thanks for the link. The only issue I had was this bit:

They’re unquestionably trying to cause confusion in the market, presumably to increase their chances.

I think the touch screen is enough to not warrant that comparison, which, incidentally, the reviewer does imply later on. He also loved the screen while I thought it was okay.

Fjordson

Help Me! said:
Yep. That's why I got a Kindle. Of course I like the device, but hardware/UI is always subject to change. The "platform" was the bigger choice for me.

Though it's worth noting that my e-reader usage is pretty simple. I've never really cared about stuff like ePub or annotations and whatnot. Just need the eInk screen and decent prices for novels.

Sleepy

VistraNorrez said:
You might be better off going with a better ecosystem. Hardware is changing pretty often now and getting cheaper even faster.

Fjordson said:
Yep. That's why I got a Kindle. Of course I like the device, but hardware/UI is always subject to change. The "platform" was the bigger choice for me.

Though it's worth noting that my e-reader usage is pretty simple. I've never really cared about stuff like ePub or annotations and whatnot. Just need the eInk screen and decent prices for novels.

Good points. I guess I just trust Amazon more. Plus, I like the Kindle a smidge better. I hope Father's Day brings a price cut. :)

Sorry for the bump/edit, but I have a quick question about conversion software:

When converting from Mobi to ePub to LIT, does the layout, structure, etc. change in anyway by converting the text to a new format? Does the process fuck it up in any way?
Thanks!

womp

Carlisle said:
The touch isn't about trying be more like an iPhone or playing around menus so much as it is about eliminating the keyboard, uncluttering the face, and reducing the weight. All you have is what you need: text. Kinda like a book.

I don't have an issue with the Keyboard however I could do without it, but I certainly prefer the D-Pad over the touch screen for as often as I will be using the device to do other things than actually read, as you said - Text.

Carlisle said:
I'm extremely jealous of Amazon's CS and returns policy though. I think BN makes you pay $30 for the same kind of service for 2 years. I've got 2 weeks to decide if I want it... Bleh, can't make up my mind.

And to think when I mentioned Amazon's CS being a reason behind choosing the device, I was sarcastically quoted to a few posts above. :::rollseyes:::

I have the Nook, Nook Color and Kindle 3 in my surrounding family, they are all great for their own reasons. The fact the choice is so hard and there are options for everyone's personal outlook is IMO the greatest part of all this.

For me? I have been an Amazon customer for 13 years and they are probably my favorite 'store' to shop at so to me it was a no brainer. I think their eBook store is much better as well - Selection and prices, AND under the same account my other online purchases.

My wife reads her Nook Color while I read my Kindle 3. The only thing that seriously makes me jealous is how she can read it easier in the dark/in bed at night. Sure I have that little LED on my leather case but...It just isn't the same.

Honestly there are days where I would love to switch between the two for different reasons.

Has anyone read The Paradise War: Book One in The Song of Albion Trilogy? I'm wondering if I should get it while it's on sale.

And is The Gathering Storm by Churchill good?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone read The Paradise War: Book One in The Song of Albion Trilogy? I'm wondering if I should get it while it's on sale.
I grabbed it when it was temporarily free a while back. Seems pretty popular, but I didn't get into it enough to read the later books. Starts off with a combination of myth and reality, but seems to completely drop the reality along the way.

Help Me! said:
Good points. I guess I just trust Amazon more. Plus, I like the Kindle a smidge better. I hope Father's Day brings a price cut. :)

Sorry for the bump/edit, but I have a quick question about conversion software:

When converting from Mobi to ePub to LIT, does the layout, structure, etc. change in anyway by converting the text to a new format? Does the process fuck it up in any way?
Thanks!
Downloaded Moby Dick from Project Gutenberg as Mobi:
Moby Dick in Mobi format

Fetched Metadata in calibre - with no other editing.

Converted MOBI to EPUB:
Moby Dick in EPUB format

Converted EPUB to lit:
Moby Dick in LIT format

I'm not sure why you'd want to end with a .lit file. They are not well supported, and take twice as long to convert.

Manics

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

$1.99 man, grab it, you spend more on a burger. ;-)

Manics

Banned
commish said:
That's pretty much my position on 99% of my iOS purchases :)

I hear ya. If it's anything that remotely interests me and it's under $2 I don't think twice. I just spent $2.42 on a venti Starbucks coffee this morning so...

Meier

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wow, I just looked at the top 80 and wasn't even remotely interested in a single book...

Sleepy

HiroProtagonist said:
Downloaded Moby Dick from Project Gutenberg as Mobi:
Moby Dick in Mobi format

Fetched Metadata in calibre - with no other editing.

Converted MOBI to EPUB:
Moby Dick in EPUB format

Converted EPUB to lit:
Moby Dick in LIT format

I'm not sure why you'd want to end with a .lit file. They are not well supported, and take twice as long to convert.

Thanks-- Interesting comparison. The .azn file for the free edition is much more spaced out and no italics. Although, really, there isn't much difference.

Carlisle

womp said:
I have the Nook, Nook Color and Kindle 3 in my surrounding family, they are all great for their own reasons. The fact the choice is so hard and there are options for everyone's personal outlook is IMO the greatest part of all this.
Amen.

womp said:
My wife reads her Nook Color while I read my Kindle 3. The only thing that seriously makes me jealous is how she can read it easier in the dark/in bed at night. Sure I have that little LED on my leather case but...It just isn't the same.
I hear you. My fiancee reads on her Nook Color while I read on my e-ink Nook. At night I have my crappy little clamp-on light to read while hers is in full backlit glory. However, the other day we did a bit of outdoor reading and I could barely see her screen at all while mine was as clear as the blue sky we were sitting under ;) Goes both ways. Sadly, most of our reading is done at night in bed so she wins :(

Socreges

Banned
Is an e-ink reader with a backlit option (ie, turn off/on) even possible? I know next to nothing about this sort of tech.

commish

Carlisle said:
I hear you. My fiancee reads on her Nook Color while I read on my e-ink Nook. At night I have my crappy little clamp-on light to read while hers is in full backlit glory. However, the other day we did a bit of outdoor reading and I could barely see her screen at all while mine was as clear as the blue sky we were sitting under ;) Goes both ways. Sadly, most of our reading is done at night in bed so she wins :(

At night I use my ipad; on the go/outside, I use my nook. Thankfully, they sync up automatically so it's no big deal to go between devices.

Maybe I'm the weird one but I have no desire to have a backlight reading device. I'm perfectly happy keeping a lamp on or using a book light before I go to bed. I hate staring into an LCD screen, a foot and a half from my face, in an otherwise completely dark room. For whatever reason my eyes don't want to blink and they feel all fucked up after a while.

Husker86

VistraNorrez said:
Maybe I'm the weird one but I have no desire to have a backlight reading device. I'm perfectly happy keeping a lamp on or using a book light before I go to bed. I hate staring into an LCD screen, a foot and a half from my face, in an otherwise completely dark room. For whatever reason my eyes don't want to blink and they feel all fucked up after a while.

I like the lighted case on my Kindle and agree with your LCD backlit opinion but if they could somehow make a backlit e-ink screen I'd be all for it. No idea how they'd do it but that's why I'm not an engineer. Maybe even have LEDs on the side shining on the screen but they'd have to do that without making the LEDs have line of sight with your eyes.

Charles Bukowski's Ham on Rye is $4.99 (US only I'm sure) in both the Kindle and Nook stores (I know there are a lot of Nook people in this thread). HarperCollins is one of the few big publishers that does deals on their books every once and a while.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
VistraNorrez said:

The leather case with attached front light is godly.

commish

Musan said:
http://www.marco.org/2011/06/03/nook-simple-touch-review

A thorough comparison between the nook and the kindle. Bottom line is that while nook has better hardware, kindle has the better ecosystem and services.

Yeah, I posted that review a couple of posts up above ;)

I'm guessing the lack of the amazon ecosystem will be less of a drawback for would-be Nook purchasers now that the Nook has been rooted and able to run Android apps. Can't be long before it is running the Kindle program, which would give Nook users the best of both worlds.

Husker86

commish said:
Yeah, I posted that review a couple of posts up above ;)

I'm guessing the lack of the amazon ecosystem will be less of a drawback for would-be Nook purchasers now that the Nook has been rooted and able to run Android apps. Can't be long before it is running the Kindle program, which would give Nook users the best of both worlds.

The e-ink Nook is rooted?

commish

Ha, yeah, I have 0 desire to have Angry Birds on my Nook, but would love Kindle app. I'm guessing the Kindle app is easy to get running, thus making Angry Birds more eye catching (if less useful).

Husker86

Help Me! said:
Does rooting void the warranty? Probably a dumb question, but I'm pretty techstoopid.

Technically yes, but getting back to an unrooted state is usually pretty trivial. After that, there is no way to know if you were ever rooted.

Yay more Nook talk in the Kindle thread.

commish said:
Can't be long before it is running the Kindle program, which would give Nook users the best of both worlds.

It will not give you the best of both worlds. A major part of what makes Kindle CS so great is how well they respond to problems with the hardware.

commish

VistraNorrez said:
Yay more Nook talk in the Kindle thread.

It will not give you the best of both worlds. A major part of what makes Kindle CS so great is how well they respond to problems with the hardware.

Isn't the Kindle app part of the Kindle thread? Seems to make sense that we could discuss other hardware that can (or could possibly) run the Kindle software. It's also pretty common to discuss competitors of products in threads about a product. Many people come into these types of threads looking for buying advice, so it's pretty strange to lament Nook talk in a Kindle thread. I could see if there was some new Kindle news or something...

Amazon's CS is great, no doubt about that. They've come through for me time and again over the years. As I've stated before, though, I'd rather have the superior hardware than "superior" customer service in the rare event that I receive a defective unit.

Top Bottom