• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Not in your price range but Oberon Design makes beautiful leather cases. I have one for a moleskine journal. I love it.

But within your range the official Amazon case is good at 34.99. M-edge makes good cases, also around 34.99. Basically for a good case expect to spend from 30-40 bucks. If you just want a sleeve those come in around 20 - 30 dollars, although to go cheaper any sleeves that fit a Kindle 2 should fit a third generation model just not as snugly.

Gvaz

Banned
I really like the kindle case with the built in light, but that's $60 unless you buy it in a package which is kind of a bummer.

edit: seem that deal is a fathers day one

Proto_Lycan

Neo Member
My new case for the Kindle 3 from byrd & belle just came in and it is fantastic. Technically it is a sleeve and not an outright case, but personally I like to enjoy the craft and design of any tech device rather than cover it up forever, and the Kindle 3 is no different. I have to say though that I'm loving the way my kindle fits inside the sleeve so much that I don't even want to take it out at times. There is a brief wait to order this sleeve and it is a bit pricey for a case without a reading light, but it's definitely worth considering if you are in the market for a protecting & stylin your kindle.

Here are some snapshots:
Front:

Inside:

Outside:

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'm sure i missed it, but how do you turn off just wireless networking on the 3g version? when i turn off wireless it turns off 3g too

Tokubetsu

Proto_Lycan said:
My new case for the Kindle 3 from byrd & belle just came in and it is fantastic. Technically it is a sleeve and not an outright case, but personally I like to enjoy the craft and design of any tech device rather than cover it up forever, and the Kindle 3 is no different. I have to say though that I'm loving the way my kindle fits inside the sleeve so much that I don't even want to take it out at times. There is a brief wait to order this sleeve and it is a bit pricey for a case without a reading light, but it's definitely worth considering if you are in the market for a protecting & stylin your kindle.

Here are some snapshots:
Front:

I'm definitely feeling it. Bookmarketd. Thanks!

Socreges

Banned
Proto_Lycan said:
Bahaha

Kinda sounds like viral marketing. Though I suppose you could just really love a sleeve that much.

AstroLad said:
i'm sure i missed it, but how do you turn off just wireless networking on the 3g version? when i turn off wireless it turns off 3g too
There's no separate setting, it's just Off or On. If you specifically want to use 3G, though, you could go to the WiFi settings and remove any networks it's currently set to use. It will then use 3G unless the signal is very poor, at which point it will pop up with a YOU REALLY SHOULD CONNECT TO WI-FI, LIKE ONE OF THESE NETWORKS I AM DETECTING message.

Decided to go with this cover.
51bhQeJp8OL.jpg

Wanted to wait till a price drop but I'm going away next weekend and wanted to get some protection for my kindle.

Gvaz

Banned
I remember seeing something that had links to homebrew programs for the kidle like mplayer and other things like better bookmarks but I can't remember where.

Was I just imagining this?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well I ordered one for the fiance as a really early wedding gift. Should be here on Wed. Excited to mess around with it before she gets off work.

It's here.

P1000195.JPG
P1000200.JPG
P1000201.JPG

It effectively doubles the thickness of the kindle but I think this only has its advantages. It grips really good whereas the 'naked' kindle tended to slip from time to times. It also makes the whole package feel much more durable and damage resistant. The material adds something extra to the mix. I don't care for the eco message of the manufacturer. It just feels and looks good.

PjotrStroganov said:
It's here.

P1000195.JPG
P1000200.JPG
P1000201.JPG

It effectively doubles the thickness of the kindle but I think this only has its advantages. It grips really good whereas the 'naked' kindle tended to slip from time to times. It also makes the whole package feel much more durable and damage resistant. The material adds something extra to the mix. I don't care for the eco message of the manufacturer. It just feels and looks good.

That's nice! What is the outer fabric made out of? Burlap? Maybe a tweed?

Cheech

Cracked open my Kindle last weekend. Man, reading on this thing is addicting. Went hog wild and bought 6 books on the Summer Sale that just ended. Looking forward to taking it on vacation with me next week.

I got the $115 el cheapo ad version, and honestly, I don't regret it.

My wife has one too, and she reads on it nightly. Her iPad doesn't see a fraction of the use it used to before she got the Kindle.

I do wish it had some tablet-esque capabilities, but I'm fine waiting until Amazon boffins figure out color e-ink.

mantidor

So I've been searching for good, free non-english dictionaries with no avail. are there any? I'm specially interested in spanish and portuguese, but asian languages would be great.

If the only good ones need to be bought then I would be ok with that, but free is always better of course.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
PjotrStroganov said:
It's here.

P1000195.JPG
P1000200.JPG
P1000201.JPG

would love one, but I'm a light fanboy now, make it with a light and i would switch in a heartbeat.

Manics

Banned
Cheech said:
I do wish it had some tablet-esque capabilities, but I'm fine waiting until Amazon boffins figure out color e-ink.
Its not up to Amazon to figure out color e-ink, its the company that makes the screens. In fact there is a color e-ink display already on the market but Amazon is apparently waiting for the technology to improve further.

brentech

I imagine it has to do with the technology as you said, and the price of said tech. They probably don't want to release a new kindle at a much higher price point than the current models - even with color.

The only thing that has stopped me from buying a Kindle myself is that I've not been a huge reader. I read the top news on the web and a few magazines, but I usually only consume about a novel per year because I have a hard time finding books of interest. With the release of "Game of Thrones" on HBO, I learned of the books and decided to get the 4 book paperback deal on Amazon and I'm halfway through the 2nd... thoroughly enjoying them. Beyond that, I just don't know what else I would read, so I'm hesitant buy one. If I knew I could find such great books all the time, I'd be all over the device.

Anyways, onto the point of the color screens: I imagine there use is best for web and magazines. For books, I'd like it to go back to the black/white screen you read now. I'm not sure if that's how the current color e-readers work.

bangai-o

Banned
Manics said:
Its not up to Amazon to figure out color e-ink, its the company that makes the screens. In fact there is a color e-ink display already on the market but Amazon is apparently waiting for the technology to improve further.
i hope that means waiting for it to get cheaper. As of now the tech is probably really expensive.

Cross posting from Canada Deals:

Don't know if this was posted but Kindles are starting to pop up north of the border. The Source is charging Canada Tax on them $159.99 for Wi-Fi only model and $209.99 for Wifi + 3G.

I believe NCIX is also selling them for the US prices.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
DoctorWho said:

Don't know if this was posted but Kindles are starting to pop up north of the border. The Source is charging Canada Tax on them $159.99 for Wi-Fi only model and $209.99 for Wifi + 3G.

You can order them straight from Amazon.com to Canada at US prices, that's how I got mine.

Jintor

Done all the tech support stuff. Contacted support, probably getting a replacement Kindle. Helpful support, even if they couldn't seem to do anything :<

No Clash of Kings for a while... how will I live? :<

Blackhead

Redarse
DoctorWho said:

i hope that means they are trying to get rid of stock ahead of the next generation. Where is the Kindle DX anyway?

This is a really small nit-picky thing, but how can I rename my books? I bought a $2 Sherlock Holmes collection and it's great except it's title shows up in all caps on my home screen. I tried renaming the .azn (or whatever the acronym is) file from my computer, as well as the other three files, but that didn't work.

And speaking of those other three files, what exactly are they? I don't have wifi where I'm currently living so I've been putting books on my kindle by picking the "transfer by USB" option, downloading the book, and then copy-pasting it onto the kindle. The downloaded book is always a .azn (or whatever) file. Every time I've bought a new book I've noticed that all my old ones now have three or four different files. I assume one or two are saved highlights and notes, but I've only highlighted/ noted one of my books.

Jintor said:
Done all the tech support stuff. Contacted support, probably getting a replacement Kindle. Helpful support, even if they couldn't seem to do anything :<

That sucks. If you want I can tell you how it ends.
I would never do that, but you could use the kindle pc/mac app if you get too hard up. KevinCow, you can suck my misuse of spoiler tags. :)
*Spoiler text contains no spoilers.

dr3upmushroom said:
This is a really small nit-picky thing, but how can I rename my books? I bought a $2 Sherlock Holmes collection and it's great except it's title shows up in all caps on my home screen. I tried renaming the .azn (or whatever the acronym is) file from my computer, as well as the other three files, but that didn't work.

And speaking of those other three files, what exactly are they? I don't have wifi where I'm currently living so I've been putting books on my kindle by picking the "transfer by USB" option, downloading the book, and then copy-pasting it onto the kindle. The downloaded book is always a .azn (or whatever) file. Every time I've bought a new book I've noticed that all my old ones now have three or four different files. I assume one or two are saved highlights and notes, but I've only highlighted/ noted one of my books.

You can use calibre to edit the metadata. It will let you edit .azw files without unDRMing them, but when you send them back to your device it will create a new file/book listing with the edited title.

Calibre

Ramma2

HiroProtagonist said:
I would never do that, but you could use the kindle pc/mac app if you get too hard up. KevinCow, you can suck my misuse of spoiler tags. :)

You can use calibre to edit the metadata. It will let you edit .azw files without unDRMing them, but when you send them back to your device it will create a new file/book listing with the edited title.

Calibre

Also nice too for keeping a local backup of your books.

Jintor

HiroProtagonist said:

Lol, thanks. I sent off the old Kindle today, should get a replacement in about half a week

Manics

Banned
Jintor said:

Funny I just finished A Clash of Kings this morning on the Kindle. Granted it is the 2nd time i've read the book, I'm re-reading the entire series on the Kindle before the 5th book is released on July 12th. First time through I read the actual paperbacks, I've reading it way faster this time on the Kindle though.

Jintor said:
My Kindle is frozen on the 'USB Drive Mode' page even when unplugged :<
I had it stuck that way once. I was trying the "hold down the power slider" thing for all sorts of lengths. It wasn't seeming to help on its own, but eventually when I tried plugging it into the PC yet again, it counted it as connected again (this wasn't working on earlier attempts). I then manually did the right-click on drive name and told it to Eject the drive. I'm now pretty careful about that, hoping to not repeat the problem.

Manics

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is the 40th Anniversary edition of dune available in the canadian kindle store? It's $13.99 in US and was wondering if it's any cheaper in canada.

Canada represents!

10fb6ee.jpg

Just so you know, the other 5 books are all $6.39 in the Kindle Canada store.

Manics said:
Canada represents!

10fb6ee.jpg

Just so you know, the other 5 books are all $6.39 in the Kindle Canada store.

Ya, the rest are $6.99 in the US shop, it's only the first one that is like double the price for whatever reason. :( Thanks again!

Sleepy

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, the rest are $6.99 in the US shop, it's only the first one that is like double the price for whatever reason. :( Thanks again!

You know the reason-- The first one is the only one worth reading. Yeah, I said it.

Manics

Banned
Help Me! said:
You know the reason-- The first one is the only one worth reading. Yeah, I said it.

No way man, all of the originals are great. Well the first 3 are must reads in my opinion..Frank Herbert actually had parts of books 2 and 3 written even before he finished Dune. Buddy had the entire story mapped out. I'll agree it goes a bit strange starting with book 4, but I still think they're well worth the read. One of my all time favorite series.

Now the OTHER books by his son.....ugh...

Manics said:
No way man, all of the originals are great. Well the first 3 are must reads in my opinion..Frank Herbert actually had parts of books 2 and 3 written even before he finished Dune. Buddy had the entire story mapped out. I'll agree it goes a bit strange starting with book 4, but I still think they're well worth the read. One of my all time favorite series.

Now the OTHER books by his son.....ugh...

:lol Books by his son are pretty terrible. I remember the first book of "Dune" I ever bought was unfortunately by his son and told people I didn't see what the big deal about the series was until they told me it's not really part of the series.

Narag

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:lol Books by his son are pretty terrible. I remember the first book of "Dune" I ever bought was unfortunately by his son and told people I didn't see what the big deal about the series was until they told me it's not really part of the series.

I'm going to be a masochist and read his son's books before long. Actually found Winds of Dune on clearance some place and picked it up since I'd just finished Messiah and this was billed as a direct sequel. So far it's like fanfic where a minimum quota of Dune related terms are tossed in to appease the reader. Ugh.

Narag said:
I'm going to be a masochist and read his son's books before long. Actually found Winds of Dune on clearance some place and picked it up since I'd just finished Messiah and this was billed as a direct sequel. So far it's like fanfic where a minimum quota of Dune related terms are tossed in to appease the reader. Ugh.

I mean they're not absolutely abysmal or something and you have to be a masochist to read them but they don't come close to the books his father wrote in terms of quality. At first he did a prequel or two but now he's put out like a million books and it just rubs me the wrong way.

valeo

brentech said:
I imagine it has to do with the technology as you said, and the price of said tech. They probably don't want to release a new kindle at a much higher price point than the current models - even with color.

The only thing that has stopped me from buying a Kindle myself is that I've not been a huge reader. I read the top news on the web and a few magazines, but I usually only consume about a novel per year because I have a hard time finding books of interest. With the release of "Game of Thrones" on HBO, I learned of the books and decided to get the 4 book paperback deal on Amazon and I'm halfway through the 2nd... thoroughly enjoying them. Beyond that, I just don't know what else I would read, so I'm hesitant buy one. If I knew I could find such great books all the time, I'd be all over the device.

Anyways, onto the point of the color screens: I imagine there use is best for web and magazines. For books, I'd like it to go back to the black/white screen you read now. I'm not sure if that's how the current color e-readers work.

All I can say is you aint looking hard enough..

It's like watching only network television and saying it's hard to find good shows with substance.

Help Me! said:
Yes way man. :)

Most people will only read the first one anyway, which most likely explains the price difference.

It's just a case of publisher being a douche. Apparently it was $5.99 before publishers set hard prices.

Manics

Banned
Help Me! said:
Yes way man. :)

Most people will only read the first one anyway, which most likely explains the price difference.
Dune is a classic, the sequels may not be classics but they are much better than a lot of other science fiction novels. You could do alot worse than read the Dune sequels.

Top Bottom