• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Thanks for clearing that up, Hiro.

Another thing I've been wondering about is how you're supposed to read the chapter breaks at the bottom of a page. Most of the books I've read are extremely simple, there's black dots that signify a chapter break. However, I've been reading Patrick Rothfuss' novels and I guess because they're much longer the system is different. Instead of black dots, there are black stretches of varying length.

I assumed that chapters alternate between "clear" and "black" stretches. So you read through a clear patch and that's a chapter, which ends when you get to a black bar a new chapter begins. After paying more attention though, I'm pretty sure now that a chapter ends only at the end of the black bars, but that doesn't make much sense because the black bars and clear stretches between them are all different lengths.

Whoops, posted twice, so I'll now use this space to say that while I really like the official Amazon cover, the moving part that clips into the Kindle is already getting a little loose on mine, and I wish I'd gotten a different one.

Chichikov

epmode said:
And it doesn't attach itself to the Kindle which normally ruins the whole lightweight form factor thing.
It's probably just me showing my age and refusing to get with the times, but I don't need my ebook reader to be smaller or lighter than a book.
In fact, reading on the kindle 3 with a cover feels much better to me than reading on it without one.

Chichikov said:
It's probably just me showing my age and refusing to get with the times, but I don't need my ebook reader to be smaller or lighter than a book.
In fact, reading on the kindle 3 with a cover feels much better to me than reading on it without one.
I totally agree with this, and normally I hate covers. I've never had one for a phone, mp3 player, anything, main reason that I hate ruining a nice looking device's form factor. The Kindle really is just too thin for it's own good. Especially with the thin page-turning buttons right on the edge, it's hard to find a natural way of gripping it.

A fold-back case makes it perfect though.

epmode

dr3upmushroom said:
I totally agree with this, and normally I hate covers. I've never had one for a phone, mp3 player, anything, main reason that I hate ruining a nice looking device's form factor. The Kindle really is just too thin for it's own good. Especially with the thin page-turning buttons right on the edge, it's hard to find a natural way of gripping it.
I find that the buttons on the Kindle 3 don't register a page turn unless I deliberately press them. Never really had a problem with them in general use.

epmode said:
I find that the buttons on the Kindle 3 don't register a page turn unless I deliberately press them. Never really had a problem with them in general use.
They work perfectly, I just can't find a way to hold a case-less Kindle with both a comfortable grip and a finger or thumb on one of them.

Cheech

I fired up my Kindle to take advantage of this fine offer, and the screen is messed up. It has most of an offer sitting there, and the rest of the screen is blank. The status bar on the bottom still works, but that's it. I've tried resetting it, etc..

Oh well, off to Target. Thing was only a week old!

Ordered my Kindle on Wednesday, should be here tomorrow (I'm in Ireland and had to order a US Kindle, damn you UK publishers!). I'm giddy with excitement. Got a few things off the shop to start. Mostly free stuff but I also grabbed the LA Noire short story collection because it was free, thanks KindleGAF! I'm probably going to get those cookbooks as well since I've been cooking more at home recently.

Well, I just ordered a third Kindle and lighted leather case (b/c of the fathers day sale). This one is for my grandmothers birthday. I'm seriously starting to feel like a Kindle pusher.

Manics

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:
Well, I just ordered a third Kindle and lighted leather case (b/c of the fathers day sale). This one is for my grandmothers birthday. I'm seriously starting to feel like a Kindle pusher.
I know what you mean. Including my Kindle and my "selling" of it I'm directly responsible for 6 Kindles being purchased.

Sleepy

Okay, day after Father's Day...Where's the price cut Amazon?

The wife gave me the go ahead to get one yesterday, but I'm going to play the waiting game for a few weeks. Plus, I still have a few books to get through on my shelf.

D6AMIA6N

Got one for Father's Day (dog dad)! Wife has had hers since January, and she loves it. Reading Treasure Island. Awesome device.

I just noticed three little little nicks in my screen. I wonder if they were always there. I'm almost done with the appendix of lord of the rings and now I have to decide what series to start next. Tough decisions. :(

Bboy AJ said:
Dog dad? What is this nonsense?

I'm assuming he means his only "child" is a dog. So it was a dog father's day gift. :p

Does anybody here have any experience with mobipocket.com? There's a book on there that I want that's not on Amazon. It's in .mobi format but I'm not sure if I would be able to put it on my Kindle because of DRM or something... I don't want to buy it and then be stuck with having to read it on my computer screen because I can't email it to the Kindle. If anybody here knows for sure that would be a big help, thanks.

Edit: did some Googling and it's a no-go apparently... Guess I'll just order the paperback. Stupid Amazon.

Emonga said:
Does anybody here have any experience with mobipocket.com? There's a book on there that I want that's not on Amazon. It's in .mobi format but I'm not sure if I would be able to put it on my Kindle because of DRM or something... I don't want to buy it and then be stuck with having to read it on my computer screen because I can't email it to the Kindle. If anybody here knows for sure that would be a big help, thanks.

Edit: did some Googling and it's a no-go apparently... Guess I'll just order the paperback. Stupid Amazon.

You should be able to use the .mobi format as it is supported by the Kindle (it's the format I prefer). The Amazon .azw file is just a .mobi file drm'd. Also, if I remember correctly, Amazon purchased Mobipocket.

Should I be putting epub books in a different folder on my Kindle? It's not reading them in the default book directory.

I should probably read the OP while I'm at it. I want to unlock the full potential of my Kindle.

Emonga said:
Oh does that take care of the DRM issue? That would be great.

I think so but I'm not positive but I know people in here convert from various formats so someone should know for sure.

It's mobi pocket right? This is in the calibre link in the OP

To configure a plugin, you must find it in the list of plugins. All the DRM removal plugins are in the File type plugins section of the Plugins section of the calibre prefereces. Click on the plugin in the list to select it, and then click on the Customize plugin button. In the dialog that then pops up, enter the required information, detailed below.

a. If you have Mobipocket ebooks, where you either entered a PID on the retailer’s web site, or you must read them in Mobipocket Reader, you must enter the PID you entered on the retailer’s web site, or the PID of your installation of Mobipocket Reader into the customisation field of the K4MobiDeDRM plugin. The PID will be ten numbers and letters, with * or $ as the eighth character. If you have more than one PID, enter them separated by commas,
b. If you have Amazon Kindle ebooks that were downloaded to your Kindle, you must enter your Kindle’s serial number into the customisation field of the K4MobiDeDRM plugin. If you have already entered a PID there, add the Kindle serial number as well, separating it from the PID with a comma. Please note: all PIDs and Kindle Serial Numbers are **case-sensitive**.

More stuff in the link but I saw that while skimming.

Emonga said:
The link says you can't transfer mobipocket.com books to your Kindle, even if it is an Amazon division.

So it does (I didn't follow your link). You could always use Calibre with the Calibre Plugins: K4MobiDeDRM_v03.1 to remove the DRM from the .prc file.

Plugin for K4PC, K4Mac, standalone Kindles, Mobi Books, and for Devices with Fixed PIDs.

This plugin supersedes MobiDeDRM, K4DeDRM, and K4PCDeDRM and K4X plugins. If you install this plugin, those plugins can be safely removed.

This plugin is meant to remove the DRM from .prc, .azw, .azw1, and .tpz ebooks. Calibre can then convert them to whatever format you desire. It is meant to function without having to install any dependencies except for Calibre being on your same machine and in the same account as your "Kindle for PC" or "Kindle for Mac" application if you are going to remove the DRM from those types of books.

Installation:

Go to Calibre's Preferences page... click on the Plugins button. Click on the "Add a new plugin" button at the bottom of the screen. Use the file dialog button to select the plugin's zip file (K4MobiDeDRM_vXX_plugin.zip) and click the "Add" (or it may say "Open" button. Then click on the "Yes" button in the warning dialog that appears. A Confirmation dialog appears that says the plugin has been installed.

DoctorWho said:
Should I be putting epub books in a different folder on my Kindle? It's not reading them in the default book directory.

I should probably read the OP while I'm at it. I want to unlock the full potential of my Kindle.

You should put them in your documents folder, but you have to let them gestate for about 6 months before they show up.
Amazon doesn't support the epub format yet, but it should be coming within 6 months(hopefully sooner).

bangai-o

Banned
thought i would post re-post here. Some readers may be interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-3-The-Novelization/dp/B002LGWI6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1308544804&sr=1-1

i started listening last night, it does go into some more detail about the facehugger encounter on the ship, and more description of the prison planet they crash land on.
It being read by Lance Henriksen made me auto-buy.

Audible service was fine. It creates a program that recognized my Zune 8gb, and creates a new tab on the Zune

vjsra.jpg

2mxe439.jpg

it also gives the option to automatically send it to your Kindle of course.

HiroProtagonist said:
You should put them in your documents folder, but you have to let them gestate for about 6 months before they show up.
Amazon doesn't support the epub format yet, but it should be coming within 6 months(hopefully sooner).

Bah, I don't know why I thought it did. :( What format should I change a .pdf to in Calibre to get it to work on my Kindle?

DoctorWho said:
Bah, I don't know why I thought it did. :( What format should I change a .pdf to in Calibre to get it to work on my Kindle?

For a regular book I would convert it to the .mobi format. I don't know whats best for documents with pictures or columns. Anyone?

HiroProtagonist said:
For a regular book I would convert it to the .mobi format. I don't know whats best for documents with pictures or columns. Anyone?

Thanks. My Kindle just started auto updating out of nowhere. Hope this doesn't kill my jailbreak.

Edit: It didn't. No idea if it added anything.

Gvaz

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:
So it does (I didn't follow your link). You could always use Calibre with the Calibre Plugins: K4MobiDeDRM_v03.1 to remove the DRM from the .prc file.
Oh man that's helpful. Does this remove the DRM from iBooks?

DoctorWho said:

The Kindle can't read epub. Convert it to mobi. You might have to strip the DRM from the book first.

DoctorWho said:
Thanks. My Kindle just started auto updating out of nowhere. Hope this doesn't kill my jailbreak.

Edit: It didn't. No idea if it added anything.

I'm still sporting 3.1 here. /US

On the subject of PDFs again - I was reading over at MobileRead Forums that the best way to convert a pdf is to send it to your [your account name]@free.kindle.com email address with the word "convert" (without quotes obv) in the subject line, and they will convert it and deliver it to your kindle (free of charge)via wifi.

HiroProtagonist said:
I'm still sporting 3.1 here. /US

On the subject of PDFs again - I was reading over at MobileRead Forums that the best way to convert a pdf is to send it to your [your account name]@free.kindle.com email address with the word "convert" (without quotes obv) in the subject line, and they will convert it and deliver it to your kindle (free of charge)via wifi.

I'm on 3.2.1

Nothing has changed from what I can tell.

Gvaz

Banned
So I have a few questions:

If I jailbreak my kindle when it comes in, and it breaks, can I still get it repaired under warranty?

How much do out of warranty costs run?

How much does listening to audiobooks or whatever kill the battery life?

Does the device need a screen cover to keep it from getting scratched?

Does the kindle have a "hands free" headset like the ipods do to skip a track or raise/lower the volume?

What's the best way to clean the device?

Tokubetsu said:
How'd you change your screensaver? Last time I tried, it wouldn't let me. Assuming a hack or w/e is out for 3.2.1?

I can't recall where I found the tutorial but I googled for "how to jailbreak a kindle" the first day I got it (last Thursday) and within 30 minutes I had custome screensavers on my device. The website supplied links to what I needed to jailbreak and add custom screensavers.

That must mean there is a hack out for 3.2.1

Top Bottom