• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Gvaz

Banned
I just got my kindle in the mail today (ordered yesterday) and it's 3.2.1.

It's not an ads one. Can I still jailbreak it?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Just got my Kindle today. I'm really enjoy it so far. My only complain is the buttons are kinda small. The screen flickering is going to take time to get used to.

Any recommendations for apps and other things to check out?

Husker86

A Human Becoming said:
Just got my Kindle today. I'm really enjoy it so far. My only complain is the buttons are kinda small. The screen flickering is going to take time to get used to.

Any recommendations for apps and other things to check out?
The free word games are fun. You'll adjust to the screen refresh pretty quickly.

Gvaz said:
I just got my kindle in the mail today (ordered yesterday) and it's 3.2.1.

It's not an ads one. Can I still jailbreak it?

I jailbroke mine. It was 3.2.1. Can't remember which website I found the custom firmware on though.

Where have all the Canadians gone (apart from you, Who)? Why have they forsaken us? pfft...They're probably off reading somewhere. smh.

DoctorWho said:
I jailbroke mine. It was 3.2.1. Can't remember which website I found the custom firmware on though.
Was this the one you used?

Kindle 3.2.1 Jailbreak (temporary) - MobileRead thread

Kindle 3.2.1 Jailbreak

Socreges was gonna try it, but I dunno...

Gvaz said:
So I have a few questions:

If I jailbreak my kindle when it comes in, and it breaks, can I still get it repaired under warranty?

How much do out of warranty costs run?

How much does listening to audiobooks or whatever kill the battery life?

Does the device need a screen cover to keep it from getting scratched?

Does the kindle have a "hands free" headset like the ipods do to skip a track or raise/lower the volume?

What's the best way to clean the device?
The only of these I only know the answer to is the first. Yes, it will void your warranty. I've never seen anyone claim to have sent theirs in for repair and had it rejected or anything, but officially yes.

Gvaz said:
I did that second link and got a nice big checkmark the very first time I did it. How do I know it worked?

Add some screen savers to your kindle\linkss\screensavers folder, then do a restart by going to the main menu > (menu button)>settings > (menu button) > restart. If they show up after the reboot - then viola! you did it.

Gvaz

Banned
They show up fine. If I force the screensaver to come up with launchpad (shift shift s) I see the little home screen progress bar at the bottom :(

Gvaz said:
They show up fine. If I force the screensaver to come up with launchpad (shift shift s) I see the little home screen progress bar at the bottom :(

I don't have launchpad installed, but if it's not going into sleep mode to display the images try ALT+G to remove the ghosting.

Socreges

Banned
Hiro, I never did try it. Decided to spend my time reading rather than wrestle with a jailbreak that might not even work. ;)

Gvaz, so that second link worked fine? If so, I'll try it myself and report back.

Manics

Banned
What's all this talk about Kindle firmware 3.2.1? I don't see any update out and nothing gets pushed to my Kindle. I'm on 3.1

Gvaz

Banned
Socreges said:
Hiro, I never did try it. Decided to spend my time reading rather than wrestle with a jailbreak that might not even work. ;)

Gvaz, so that second link worked fine? If so, I'll try it myself and report back.
Yeah, make sure you rename your documents to documents.bak (or anything else really), and turn off wireless. You have about 10 seconds between putting the file on the root of the kindle after a restart, unplugging the kindle, going into the menu and pressing system update.

If you can do that you should be fine.

Make sure you use the right version for your kindle.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Some of these publishers are really pissing me off. There have been 4-5 instances in the past month where the Kindle edition of a book is $5-10 more than the actual physical copy.

Fuck does that make me angry.

Sleepy

FlyinJ said:
Some of these publishers are really pissing me off. There have been 4-5 instances in the past month where the Kindle edition of a book is $5-10 more than the actual physical copy.

I know, makes you want to pirate just to stick it to them.

Any rumblings of a price cut? or is the ad-infest the price cut?

Zzoram said:
So Harry Potter being e-books now still won't be sold through Kindle or iBooks?
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/06/pottermore-details/
wired.co.uk said:
In a further bold move, Rowling has opted to keep the e-books DRM-free, meaning that they are not locked into one device or platform. She is instead opting for digital watermarking that links the identify of the purchaser to the copy of the e-book. This doesn’t prevent copyright theft but does ensure that any copies will be traceable to a particular user. This is similar to how iTunes is DRM-free, but embeds user account information within each file purchased.
I had no Idea that the Potter books weren't already in some ebook format.

Help Me! said:
Any rumblings of a price cut? or is the ad-infest the price cut?
Constant rumblings about it going under $100.00 for the holidays.

Special Offer peeps: I got my grandmothers SO kindle this week, and was loading it up with books before I gave it to her. I didn't connect to WiFi, as I was side-loading content, but it wasn't showing any ads - just the regular screen savers. I assume it needed to connect to amazon to download the relevant ads, is that correct? If you never connect the WiFi (which is almost impossible) would it never show ads?

wired.co.uk said:
In a further bold move, Rowling has opted to keep the e-books DRM-free, meaning that they are not locked into one device or platform. She is instead opting for digital watermarking that links the identify of the purchaser to the copy of the e-book. This doesn’t prevent copyright theft but does ensure that any copies will be traceable to a particular user. This is similar to how iTunes is DRM-free, but embeds user account information within each file purchased.

Won't really matter, finely formatted pirate e-book versions already exist. So no one will have to upload an official one, plus I imagine any duplications will just be shared between friends and family so the watermarking won't be any issue.

No matter what they do they are going to sell well and they are going to be pirated too.

Sleepy

HiroProtagonist said:
Constant rumblings about it going under $100.00 for the holidays.

Special Offer peeps: I got my grandmothers SO kindle this week, and was loading it up with books before I gave it to her. I didn't connect to WiFi, as I was side-loading content, but it wasn't showing any ads - just the regular screen savers. I assume it needed to connect to amazon to download the relevant ads, is that correct? If you never connect the WiFi (which is almost impossible) would it never show ads?

Waiting sucks.

Interesting about the WiFi. I assume regular screensavers are the authors, etc.

FlyinJ said:

I really don't understand why some are charging more. Isn't that one less used copy out on the market? Do used books not affect book publishers like used games affect video game publishers? I don't get it.

Hanzou

Can anybody confirm that the Dark Tower series is pretty much gone from the store? In both the Canada and US store it looks like the only book available is book 2. Just the other day you could get the first 3 books and now I check today and the 1st and 3rd books are gone.

Hanzou

HiroProtagonist said:
That is perhaps the weirdest thing I ever witnessed. I click on your link all I see is the audible books. Ok, that makes sense since I was set to the Canada region and they are not available in Canada. Switch it to the US store and they load up fine. Yet when I was searching earlier in the US store the books would not show up at all. I am not sure if it was some sort of browser cache problem or what.

This leads to the next point of the Kindle store in some ways being Shit in Canada. There are quite a lot of books which are not available here for no apparent reason. If you look at the Canadian Kobo store which I think is Canada based, they have pretty much every book imaginable. The prices are slightly higher or the same but still, Amazon needs to step up their game. I can download the Kobo version and convert it with Calibre wo work on the Kindle but I like to have all my books in one place.

Is there any problem I would come across If i changed my Kindle account to an American one?

Schlep

Forgot to post yesterday. Two new offers expiring Saturday:

$20 off select GPS at Amazon
Buy $10 worth of select books and get a $10 Amazon GC

Bossypants for $2.99. This thing pays for itself.

Manics

Banned
Hanzou said:
That is perhaps the weirdest thing I ever witnessed. I click on your link all I see is the audible books. Ok, that makes sense since I was set to the Canada region and they are not available in Canada. Switch it to the US store and they load up fine. Yet when I was searching earlier in the US store the books would not show up at all. I am not sure if it was some sort of browser cache problem or what.

This leads to the next point of the Kindle store in some ways being Shit in Canada. There are quite a lot of books which are not available here for no apparent reason. If you look at the Canadian Kobo store which I think is Canada based, they have pretty much every book imaginable. The prices are slightly higher or the same but still, Amazon needs to step up their game. I can download the Kobo version and convert it with Calibre wo work on the Kindle but I like to have all my books in one place.

Is there any problem I would come across If i changed my Kindle account to an American one?
I use both stores and haven't had an issue. You may rip the Canadian store but often times the prices for the same kindle book are lower on the Canadian store.

HiroProtagonist said:
Where have all the Canadians gone (apart from you, Who)? Why have they forsaken us? pfft...They're probably off reading somewhere. smh.

Was this the one you used?

Kindle 3.2.1 Jailbreak (temporary) - MobileRead thread

Kindle 3.2.1 Jailbreak

Socreges was gonna try it, but I dunno...

The only of these I only know the answer to is the first. Yes, it will void your warranty. I've never seen anyone claim to have sent theirs in for repair and had it rejected or anything, but officially yes.

Not that one specifically. I swear the page I used was last updated in April. I'll have to go through my browser history when I get home and find where I got it from. It was a fairly simple process. Of putting the jailbreak in the root directory and running the update from the Kindle menu.

Edit:

NVM I found the site I used. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37424/jailbreak-your-kindle-for-dead-simple-screensaver-customization/

It says they are for 3.1 there but I swear I'm 3.2.1 and my Kindle is hacked. Remember I mentioned that it ran an autoupdate the other day maybe that is when it updated to 3.2.1 and the jailbreak stayed intact?

I'm not sure as I'm completely new to the Kindle-verse.

I'm on Kindle 3.2.1 (576290015)

Edit 2: Just to add. Mine was not an ad enabled Kindle. WiFi only.

I wouldn't really sweat voiding the warranty by jailbreaking. Amazon's policy is to ship you a replacement Kindle before you send back a broken one. I sat on my jailbroken Kindle and the screen froze on the cover page of an ebook not available on the Kindle store (I own a physical copy). I removed the jailbreak folders via USB, but I didn't reset it to the original firmware.

Sleepy

Although this is old, I just noticed it (from endgadget):

All that said, here's the key feature that Amazon's seemingly overlooking: an option in the software to pay back the $25 a customer skimped on to do away with the ads on their ad-supported e-reader. Solves the buyer's remorse problem, at least.

Anyone tried/heard of this? Is it true?

Huh, or am I just misreading it; the bolded part? As something that Amazon failed to implement, or failed to tell customers?

Sleepy

VistraNorrez said:
Engadget is saying it's something that should be included but isn't.

Thanks: After I posted, I kinda figured I read it wrong. I still can't decide between the models...Ads suck, but the $10 for $20 would be amazing; I would buy every time.

Husker86

Give me your ads if you don't want them! I emailed Amazon just to get on record requesting that other Kindle owners should be able to take advantage.

What sucks about the Song of Ice and Fire four pack is that it downloads as one giant book. I wish I could separate it into four books.

Sleepy

Husker86 said:
Give me your ads if you don't want them! I emailed Amazon just to get on record requesting that other Kindle owners should be able to take advantage.

If I go that route, sure, no problem. Still fence-sitting, though.

DoctorWho said:
What sucks about the Song of Ice and Fire four pack is that it downloads as one giant book. I wish I could separate it into four books.

Does it come with the metadata? If so, you could use Calibre to separate them; I think.

Husker86 said:

Are the Kinlde ads exclusive deals?

Help Me! said:
If I go that route, sure, no problem. Still fence-sitting, though.

Does it come with the metadata? If so, you could use Calibre to separate them; I think.

It probably does. I haven't looked.

I've been getting the Song of Ice and Fire series one by one (got Game of Thrones as a gift so I had to), but I like when a series is collected as one giant book. If I got it on my own I would've got the four pack, although it would've been weird to get books 5, 6, and 7 individually. It must take about 500 locations just to see the percentage go up.

Gvaz

Banned
I preordered ADWD.

I'm only lke 66% through acok too lol

Is it just me or does the screensaver take way too much power? I had a full charge and left the screensaver on overnight and i got to like 40% in 8 hours. Wifi wasn't on either, it takes too much power.

Gvaz said:
Is it just me or does the screensaver take way too much power? I had a full charge and left the screensaver on overnight and i got to like 40% in 8 hours. Wifi wasn't on either, it takes too much power.

Screensaver doesn't use any power. The only power drains (I think) come from the clock, page refreshes, indexing, and wireless usage.

Gvaz said:
I preordered ADWD.

I'm only lke 66% through acok too lol

I'm experiencing nothing like this and I have the screensaver + WiFi on all night. In fact, it's still showing a full charge this morning.

Gvaz

Banned
So the fact that wifi was off, and the screensaver on, and I didn't touch it for like 8 hours means what?

How long does it typically take to index things? I have almost 1,000 entries on my kindle here.

Top Bottom