• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Jintor

I love that everything has a sample, even if the sample is shit a third of the time. Just browsed like 200 books picking out samples. Delicious.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hiro: Thanks for that. I wonder how close to the K4 I can sell my K3 to minimize upgrade cost. I also wonder whether I can reuse my lighted case.

Bboy AJ said:
Hiro: Thanks for that. I wonder how close to the K4 I can sell my K3 to minimize upgrade cost. I also wonder whether I can reuse my lighted case.

I wonder if how much you can get? I mean I have the old No Special Offers Wifi. I wonder if I can even get 75-90 bucks for it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I wonder if how much you can get? I mean I have the old No Special Offers Wifi. I wonder if I can even get 75-90 bucks for it.
Same here. Going for $120 used but after Amazon takes their cut, $100 sounds about right.

Pachimari

Angst said:
No, the dk site is for paperbacks only apparently. No other sites with ebooks in Denmark?
Nope.

So I'm doomed here in Denmark. =(
I can still buy English books from Amazon though?
I'm good at English but can still improve, reading would help with that.

Side-note: When is Kindle 4 expected out? Cause I'm contemplating buying a Kindle 3 finally.
Another thing is, what does Kindle 3G do? Is it free 3G?

Angst

Anastacio said:
Nope.

So I'm doomed here in Denmark. =(
I can still buy English books from Amazon though?
I'm good at English but can still improve, reading would help with that.

Side-note: When is Kindle 4 expected out? Cause I'm contemplating buying a Kindle 3 finally.
Another thing is, what does Kindle 3G do? Is it free 3G?
You can buy books from Amazon.

Kindle 4 is expected this fall

Kindle 3G has free 3G in practically the whole world. At least everywhere you can get 3G.

Muhahaha. Success...I think.

Amazon sets up a new limited liability company each time they submit filings to the FCC for each new device. Each company is registered in a different state, all to different people. However, they don't change the Test firm used (Sporton International Inc.). That brought me to this:

OET Exhibits List FCC ID 'ZEG-0725'

Model Name: D01100 FCC ID: ZEG-0725

**Links removed. Apparently you can't link directly to FCC documents, but you can access them all from the above link. **

They even use the same form letter requesting short term confidentiality. I'm not sure if there is anything useful in there, but at least we know they've filed. For reference the Kindle 3's FCC paperwork was filed on 07/06/2010, and was released in the US on August 27, 2010. So somebody is running behind schedule.

Edit: links

Husker86

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'll be the ignorant computer user who wants the world from technology.

Are there any waterproof cases I could use to read my kindle in the tub? Reading in the bath is something I've enjoyed all my life.

SHUT UP! It's totally masculine, I don't use bubble bath or nothing. >:|

A while back I used an old Windows Mobile phone in a sandwich ziplock bag in the hot tub. Use a gallon one and the Kindle should fit in!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Husker86 said:
A while back I used an old Windows Mobile phone in a sandwich ziplock bag in the hot tub. Use a gallon one and the Kindle should fit in!

Yep, there are quite a few people at our pool who use a Ziploc bag that fits perfectly. Its the perfect width and height, not sure what size it is.

Kato

A while back we decided to finally go for it and ordered a K3 (non 3G). That was a big freakin' mistake. After one week all hell broke loose about who goes for the books on the shelf and who will use the Kindle. Needless to say we bought a second one. :p

Protecting them with two of these. Although we still wanted the lighted leather covers we went with the cases above and with cheap clip-on lights. They work great but don't look that sophisticated. But neither do I in bed or at the poolside in my swimming attire so it's all good.

I am thinking about ordering a Kindle 3 WiFi. But news say, that a new version is going to be released this autumn. Now I am kind of insecure, whether I should buy one now or just wait some weeks and see, if the Kindle 3 will be cheaper.

BTW, talking about ordering one in Germany for 139€. (Quite expensive, if you compare it to the 139$ in the U.S. (~ 99€).

Any advice?

Kato

GunslingerVit said:
I am thinking about ordering a Kindle 3 WiFi. But news say, that a new version is going to be released this autumn. Now I am kind of insecure, whether I should buy one now or just wait some weeks and see, if the Kindle 3 will be cheaper.

BTW, talking about ordering one in Germany for 139€. (Quite expensive, if you compare it to the 139$ in the U.S. (~ 99€).

Any advice?

If you buy them directly from Amazon you will pay around € 130. They get shipped through UPS and the taxes/import fees are already accounted for with a deposit. So importing through Amazon it's not 99 but 130-ish. Shipping speed is less then 48 hours to Holland, so Germany would be the same I guess.

Edit: Check THIS PAGE for more info:

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Angst said:
You can buy books from Amazon.

Kindle 4 is expected this fall

Kindle 3G has free 3G in practically the whole world. At least everywhere you can get 3G.

If you are from the US. If not you can only access Wikipedia and the Kindle store.

legend166 said:
So I'm going to get one of those leather covers with the lights.

I can't decide on red or blue.

Help me, GAF.
I have the dark brown version. I thought it would be lighter because of leathers tendency to photograph dark...it isn't. The photos are pretty accurate. I really wanted dark green, but that's not an option, so I'd get blue If I could do it again.

craker

Waikis said:
I've used the 3g services in Australia, China and Indonesia. No problem at all.

Works in Japan too. In fact it was the only means of communication for a week and a half after the big earthquake.

Pachimari

GunslingerVit said:
Thank you. Mostly I am concerned buying the kindle now, if possibly the new generation of kindles will be presented in the next weeks...
That was my thought as well, but I have a feeling, they'll unveil a 9" reeder/tablet and no new on with 6".

Anyway, I really think I am about to need a Kindle. I have so much stress from work everyday and I almost broke down today, so I need to read much more and relax, get sucked into another world while going to bed.

tokkun

GunslingerVit said:
Thank you. Mostly I am concerned buying the kindle now, if possibly the new generation of kindles will be presented in the next weeks...

I would suggest waiting. The rumor from Slashgear was that there would be two new Kindles announced and that one would be both better and less expensive than the current Kindle 3. They also said it would be out before October.

http://www.slashgear.com/amazon-android-tablet-suite-takes-shape-13164878/

Angst

kamorra said:
If you are from the US. If not you can only access Wikipedia and the Kindle store.
I live in Norway and have used the free 3G to check my mail etc in France, Sweden, UK, Spain and Thailand.

tokkun said:
I would suggest waiting. The rumor from Slashgear was that there would be two new Kindles announced and that one would be both better and less expensive than the current Kindle 3. They also said it would be out before October.

http://www.slashgear.com/amazon-android-tablet-suite-takes-shape-13164878/

Hmm, the improved quality and the lower price are good points. I can wait till October, but hope, that the new devices will be sold in Europe/Germany, too.

jvm

Gamasutra.
SixStringPsycho said:
so how easy is the screen on the kindle bound to scratch?
If it's in a decent case, it's pretty difficult unless you're really, really careless. I've been very impressed, honestly.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
The Orange said:
Not true. From my experience, everything is free in Europe as well (for the countries I've been in).

Hello,

I'm sorry to inform you that internet access using the Web Browser through Whispernet using your Kindle's 3G connection is not available in Germany, however most you can access Wikipedia.

You'll find helpful information on our Using Kindle If You Live Outside the United States Help page (http://www.amazon.com/kindleinternationalsupport).

I hope this information helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

I think it has to do with where you bought your Kindle. Apparently the 3G works (everywhere) if you bought it from Amazon.com/co.uk but not from other locations.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
craker said:
Works in Japan too. In fact it was the only means of communication for a week and a half after the big earthquake.

which is why I went for the 3G one. Will be handy just to have basic email access when we're over there. Getting phones set up is always a PITA

what are you expecting from a Kindle 4 that'll make the 3 a bad choice? It'll still be e-ink right? Larger screen? (I'd like the viewable page to be closer to the size of a standard paperback)

Don't think I'd need colour, perhaps better layout for newspapers and certainly better navigation, but a lot of that could be done on the current one with software. Eg I hate having just read something that it pops to the top of the list in 'collections' view. If its just a sample or the dictionary its a pain. I'd like to be able to manually pin titles to the front page while reading them. and see book covers - the pictures are a lot better than I'd expected

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any way to use overdrive for library books with the kindle? I'm guessing they're all DRM protected epub so the answer is no?

and I read an article that said you could download audiobooks direct from the kindle store over wifi, but I can't see the audiobooks section - is that US only? Using a Mac going to the amazon site to buy audible books is a pain, they just get dumped into your downloads folder with no means to easily manage them, no itunes integration or anything.

I like being able to email books to my kindle - so you can use gutenberg or drm free epub (converted by calibre) and then I email them to 'myaddres@free.kindle.com' and they're sent for free over wifi. Really handy and means I'll probably only ever use USB for audiobooks

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Here is another quote from amazon support:
I’m apologize for any misunderstanding caused.

Internet access using the Web Browser through Whispernet is not available in most countries outside the United States when using your Kindle’s 3G connection, however most customers can access Wikipedia. These restrictions do not apply when accessing the Web Browser over a Wi-Fi connection.

You’ll find helpful information on our Using Kindle If You Live Outside the United States Help page (http://www.amazon.com/kindleinternationalsupport).

I hope this information helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
source:http://kmoniqa.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/using-the-kindle-in-germany/

Here's a page that lists countries where the 3G browsing should work.

mrklaw said:
what are you expecting from a Kindle 4 that'll make the 3 a bad choice? It'll still be e-ink right? Larger screen? (I'd like the viewable page to be closer to the size of a standard paperback)
From 2 to 3 I think the big changes were more levels of gray for the screen, quicker page turning, smaller form factor, and the ports at the side for hooking into the official cases.

As for Kindle 4--well, sounds like there might not just be the one new generation device, but different options. Wall Street Journal printed this rumor a bit over a month:
' One will be a touch-screen device. The other won't have a touch screen, but will be an improved and cheaper adaptation of the current Kindle, said people who have seen the device. '

Pachimari

Nine key countries with no official 3G web browsing capability currently (outside of Wikipedia and the book store) are
Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden.
This Kindle became more useless as I read this. =(
Guess I'll stay away from it this year, sadly.

djm

Well then. I was very close to buying a Kindle, but now that I see they have plans for rolling out the new ones this fall, I might as well hold off.

Do you guys think it's a safe bet that they will launch with a "special offers + 3g" version right out the gate? That's the one I was looking to get.

tokkun

djm said:
Do you guys think it's a safe bet that they will launch with a "special offers + 3g" version right out the gate? That's the one I was looking to get.

There's really no way to predict that.

Anastacio said:
This Kindle became more useless as I read this. =(
Guess I'll stay away from it this year, sadly.
I was in Germany, Austria, and The Netherlands last summer and had no problem browsing the web on my Kindle. What changed since then?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone use calibre for converting epubs and fetching news?

The Guardian from calibre seems similar to the Guardian as delivered by amazon - is there a copyright issue or are they just scraping it from the free website and repackaging it?

Angst

JoshuaJSlone said:
Here's a page that lists countries where the 3G browsing should work.

From 2 to 3 I think the big changes were more levels of gray for the screen, quicker page turning, smaller form factor, and the ports at the side for hooking into the official cases.

As for Kindle 4--well, sounds like there might not just be the one new generation device, but different options. Wall Street Journal printed this rumor a bit over a month:
That page you linked to is over one year old.

Based upon my own experiences and posts I've read on mobileread.com, 3G web browsing works all over Europe.

VistraNorrez said:
I was in Germany, Austria, and The Netherlands last summer and had no problem browsing the web on my Kindle. What changed since then?
Nothing, it's the other way around. If you read the whole article the author states that:

And, for the first time, in July-August 2010, their marketing ads stressed the "Free 3G" in the titles or headers, so they wouldn't be changing that very soon.
Indicating that the article is before bolded date. So, more than one year old article - and I wouldn't consider a blog by someone as fact...

*EDIT* Actually, the blog links to another post by the same guy, and that list seems to be updated:
HISTORY OF CHANGES THAT HAD CONFUSED CUSTOMERS - as blogged.
In June-July 2010 we received at least temporary full-web-access confirmations from:
Australia, Austria, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy,the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Thailand, Scotland, and the UK before some residents reported losing the availability in those countries.

The countries with *brackets* below are the ones for which 3G web browsing
has always been largely UNavailable with the product pages specifically saying so for long periods of time but receiving more vague statements starting August 2010 on the Amazon-U.S. product pages.

The ones with "= {country} =" are considered enabled for 3G web browsing but were added after the June listing.

Albania
Argentina
Aruba
Australia
[Austria]
Bahamas
Barbados
Bermuda
=Bolivia=
Brazil
=Bulgaria=
Canada
Cayman Islands
Chile
Columbia
Croatia
Czech Republic
[Denmark]
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
[France]
[Germany]
Grenada
[Greece]
Guam
Guatemala
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Hong Kong *
=Hungary=
Iceland
India
Ireland
Italy --- (Not on Amazon-UK listing)
Jamaica
Japan *
Kenya
Liechtenstein
Macedonia
Mexico *
Montserrat
[Netherlands]
Nicaragua
Norway
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Poland
[Portugal]
Puerto Rico
Romania
=Russia=
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Scotland --- (Not on Amazon-UK listing separately, part of UK)
=Slovakia=
Slovenia
=South Africa=
[Spain]
[Sweden]
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
UK
Ukraine
United States *
Uruguay
US Virgin Islands
Venzuela

[] These marked with brackets are are countries from which Kindle owners reported briefly that their Kindles were working with full web access especially after initial software v2.5.x updates, but with Amazon Kindle product pages for them still saying that the experimental web browser was not available there. For the most part, the 3G web browsing was disabled in those areas after a few weeks.

So - 3G browsing works almost everywhere.

*EDIT2* FFUUU, maybe I read it wrong. It definitely works where I live in Norway and in Sweden though.

Manics

Banned
Anyone have a "sticky" power switch? Just bought a Kindle for my sister and her switch sort of sticks. Mine is nice and loose.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Manics said:
Anyone have a "sticky" power switch? Just bought a Kindle for my sister and her switch sort of sticks. Mine is nice and loose.
Yeah, I've seen this on a Kindle. Not my current one, fortunately. :p

Top Bottom