• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Gadfly said:
It is not ridiculous if your partner wants to sleep while you are reading. Or if you're like me and cannot lean on one arm facing the light on the nightstand for too long.
Right, but you can get a suitable light for far cheaper than the price difference between the lighted and unlighted case. Those are great reasons for having a light, but not specifically for the Amazon lighted case.

Nymerio

I had a lamp right next my bed to read and I prefer the light of the Amazon cover. I like reading in the dark, especially with the lighted cover and I was actually of the same opinion and thought double the price is ridiculous for the light, but the first time I used it I thought it was worth it. Since getting the Kindle I read even more that I did before. Even if you don't use it very frequently, there may come a time when you'll will be glad you got it.
I also looked into other options like some clip on lights but nothing seemed quite as elegant as being able to pull out the light from the corner of the cover. Also no other option came much cheaper.

In the end you yourself have to know best. If you think you'll never use it, don't buy it. If there's a chance you might find it useful and have the cash to spare then get one.

dr3upmushroom said:
I wish someone would make a front-lit eReader. You can't have a backlight because of the screen technology, but some old handhelds like the GBA SP had front lights, and I don't see why an eReader couldn't have that.
I'm with you on that. I tried a frontlight intended for use with paperback books on Kindle, but it wasn't practical. Something like a cover that had a frontlight you could optionally fold over the screen could be pretty cool if they're not going to build anything in.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So what are peoples feelings on Manga on a Kindle 3 (not the DX)? Is it still easy (or possible) to read?
Non DX? The screen is too tiny. Best to get an actual LCD tablet, like an iPad or Android one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bboy AJ said:
Non DX? The screen is too tiny. Best to get an actual LCD tablet, like an iPad or Android one.

Eh? Aren't pages of manga about the same size as the Kindle's screen?

craker

I read manga on my kindle 2 all of the time, and I don't find it too small at all. I use Mangle to make it the right size and such. I still use the older version of the program (1.1) because it'll crop the white borders around the page thus making the important stuff bigger on screen. The newer version doesn't seem to have that feature.

HiroProtagonist said:
Amazon Kindle Social Network Service is Alive and Kicking

Amazon KindleAir.com domain registered, next Kindle inbound?

Hmmm... this, plus they have lowered the price of the Kindle 3 referbs. Dun DUn DUN. I have a feeling that Kindleair.com is going to be related to Kindle storage in the Amazon cloud, but it will probably be announced with the unveiling of the tablet and Kindle 4.

Books are measured in kilobytes in size. I cannot see why anyone needs "cloud" storage for them. Probably related more to the announcement of the web-based Kindle reader.

Edit: Also, all these good deals that the ad-subbed Kindle get almost make me wish I had that instead of the $130 model.

BigNastyCurve said:
Books are measured in kilobytes in size. I cannot see why anyone needs "cloud" storage for them. Probably related more to the announcement of the web-based Kindle reader.

Edit: Also, all these good deals that the ad-subbed Kindle get almost make me wish I had that instead of the $130 model.
It's much more convenient.

I don't think the appeal of cloud storage has anything to do with size in any case. Text files are minuscule too, but having my papers saved to Google's cloud is more convenient than having them on a flash drive.

Nymerio

Your Books are already saved in the cloud. When you delete one from your Kindle you can at any time re-download it from Amazon.

Jintor

So what are peoples feelings on Manga on a Kindle 3 (not the DX)? Is it still easy (or possible) to read?

Where are you getting this manga from? Amazon's selection isn't so good

BigNastyCurve said:

The news about the Kindle Cloudreader was posted by Andrex the next day, so I assume kindleair.com is related to that, if Amazon ever decides to use it. From what I understand (which isn't much - in general) Amazon was forced to change their Kindle App for the iPad to comply with Apples rules. Apparently people could no longer access the Kindle storefront via the app. So instead of keeping the gimped app, Amazon created the web based Kindle Cloudreader app. The only thing Amazon needs to store in the cloud per user are the .mbp files ( annotations, corrections, drawings and marks), the .apnx (for syncing page numbers), and maybe the .pref and .json files for user preferences and collections. All of those files combined amount to almost nothing. It's less of a need thing and more of a sync thing.

Book storage was just my idle speculation prior to the announcement- based on nothing but the word "air" in Kindleair.com.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29978613&postcount=1641

Zzoram

cloud storage of Kindle books with bookmarks/notes/etc. that's accessible from any Kindle or device with a Kindle app would be amazing

SmZA

legend166 said:
Is there a way for an Australian to browse the US store?
Absolutely. Change your address to an imaginary US one and you can even buy from there and Amazon won't do anything. The suburb has to match the ZIP code but you can find one online or just enter the name of a popular 90s teen drama starring Shannon Doherty.
You should also put in a Canadian address, I got the George RR Martin 4-pack real cheap that way. You can swap addresses at will.

Edit: sorry, did you mean via the Kindle? I don't know, the above works for the website.

Zzoram said:
cloud storage of Kindle books with bookmarks/notes/etc. that's accessible from any Kindle or device with a Kindle app would be amazing
That IS how it works, unless you're making notes with your Internet connection off.

Kurdel

Banned
I really want to buy a Kindle, but I am terrified of the impending hardware revision.

Do we have a timeframe for the reveal and launch yet?

tokkun

Kurdel said:
I really want to buy a Kindle, but I am terrified of the impending hardware revision.

Do we have a timeframe for the reveal and launch yet?

Rumors suggest it will be within 2 months.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Violater said:
Gaf Kindle in my cart please recommend to me a good case under $20

If you want a light in any form, the official amazon lighted case is well worth the money, but it's well over $60.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Violater said:
Gaf Kindle in my cart please recommend to me a good case under $20
don't skimp here. get the 60$ lighted.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mystery-white-boy said:
I have the very same one - Kindle case buddies 4ever!

It's a fantastic little product. It looks awesome, the texture of the material feels great in your hands, and the design is all about functionality/practicality.

Hehe, so true. I just got it and its great. Not too big, but big enough, snug and craftsmanship is excellent. And it smells awesome, as leather should.

fistbump_1217.png

Ill post a picture of my case later when I get home.

Zzoram

clip said:
I want to get a Kindle. Is there a model refresh coming anytime soon?

Yes.

Kindle 4 is coming out this Fall. It will still be E-Ink, and probably still Black and White, but may include touch screen capabilities and should remain around the same price. (~$140)

Also, a Kindle Android Tablet is coming out to replace the Kindle DX as their higher priced larger model. This tablet will be LCD and use an Amazon/Kindle modified version of Android and come with the Amazon App Store and Kindle App pre-installed. This will likely be $400-500.

clip

Zzoram said:
Yes.

Kindle 4 is coming out this Fall. It will still be E-Ink, and probably still Black and White, but may include touch screen capabilities and should remain around the same price. (~$140)

Also, a Kindle Android Tablet is coming out to replace the Kindle DX as their higher priced larger model. This tablet will be LCD and use an Amazon/Kindle modified version of Android and come with the Amazon App Store and Kindle App pre-installed. This will likely be $400-500.

Thank you. I will get the new e-Ink version, whenever it comes out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zzoram said:
Yes.

Really, they're gonna kill the Kindle DX? That seems a bit lame, there's always room for more sizes IMO.

Zzoram

Andrex said:
Really, they're gonna kill the Kindle DX? That seems a bit lame, there's always room for more sizes IMO.

The Kindle DX is a 9.7" e-reader for $379 that they never advertise and pretend doesn't exist.

In a world where Tablets with far more functionality exist for $499, I bet they sell very few Kindle DXs. It makes much more sense for their big and expensive Kindle to just be a tablet, and keep the smaller cheaper device an E-Ink e-reader.

Zzoram said:
Yes.

There are supposed to be two Kindle's, one with a touch screen and one without.

Puddles

Banned
Hopefully someone with a kindle can help me out here.

I don't actually own a kindle yet, but I have the kindle app on my android phone, and I have kindle for PC on my laptop so that I can read books on it.

Yesterday, a friend of mine emailed me his e-book, which is in .prc format. It opens up just fine on my laptop through the kindle reader.

The problem comes up when I try to get it over to my android. I go to library (on my PC), and the book shows up. However, when I click on tools > manage your kindle, it takes me to a page on amazon.com that's supposed to show my library. Here, it ONLY shows the books I've downloaded from the website. No matter how many times I try to sync, the new book will not show up there.

When I try to sync my android's kindle library, the new book won't show up. I've tried at least 5-6 times now, and it just will not appear there either.

Am I doing something wrong?

Jintor

Thank someone for the seven day return policy. I accidentally bought a book while trying to get a sample and they refunded it within about 10 minutes.

I've decided to take advantage of the free 14 day trial you get with every Newspaper and Periodical. For the moment I'm only trying out newspapers. Generally fort the US I read either the NYTimes, Washington Post, WSJ , and occasionally the Philadelphia Inquirer. I've felt though that even if the international news may be the same, the chance to see local and regional issues covered helps give me a better breadth of knowledge of world events.

Now with news papers abroad I've sampled a little here and there, but I like to see some suggestions for good papers outside of the US available in the Kindle Store.

I've already signed up for a trial of The National an Abu Dai paper, which is the only Middle Eastern paper available.

For Japan/Asia despite my dislike of the overly left commentary of the Asahi Shimbum I might take it over the Mainichi Daily news, as Asahi has a bit more content and divorced from the commentary, it's a pretty good paper.

Sadly I doubt the China Daily, is going to be worth a try, even if reading and seeing how news is covered in the PRC is interesting in it's own right. Shame the Hong Kong Press isn't on Kindle.

Now with that said what are people suggestions for other papers? Indian Express or Hindustan Time? Times or Telegraph, and so on.

Thanks!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why not just use calibre to have it delivered for free? I've heard the Kindle versions don't have all the articles of the day on them.

Bboy AJ said:
Why not just use calibre to have it delivered for free? I've heard the Kindle versions don't have all the articles of the day on them.
Mostly I just like being able to have it ready to read in the morning with no real effort. That said I might give it a try, but I tried it before with the Economist and it didn't work, but I think my comp I was on was behind a work firewall.

There is also the issue of pay wall sites, but you know I think I'll give it a test run in a little while. Do you have a link explaining how to do that with Calibre? I have no clue what happend to my old one explaining it.

Andrex said:
To me, the whole point of that size is to read magazines, and for those color as a benefit far outweighs the negatives of an LCD vs. e-ink screen.

I guess some people like the DX for PDFs and textbooks and stuff, but I'd never want to read a book on it.

Bboy AJ

Mostly I just like being able to have it ready to read in the morning with no real effort. That said I might give it a try, but I tried it before with the Economist and it didn't work, but I think my comp I was on was behind a work firewall.

There is also the issue of pay wall sites, but you know I think I'll give it a test run in a little while. Do you have a link explaining how to do that with Calibre? I have no clue what happend to my old one explaining it.
For things like NYT, you can put in your user info and it'll work. After the initial set up, there's nothing else to do. It does it all automatically, assuming your computer is always on.

As for a tutorial, you don't really need one. All the websites have preloaded info. I'm sure you'll figure it out once you check out the program. It's awesome!

Bboy AJ said:
For things like NYT, you can put in your user info and it'll work. After the initial set up, there's nothing else to do. It does it all automatically, assuming your computer is always on.

As for a tutorial, you don't really need one. All the websites have preloaded info. I'm sure you'll figure it out once you check out the program. It's awesome!

You are correct, I'm using it right now and it seems really cool. It does seem to be a bit hit or miss though (DAWN for some reason produced only one page and one has some articles missing with only a title page showing), but otherwise it's really nice and I'm kind of shocked how good it actually looks on the Kindle. For free it's really good.

I guess the initial issues I had was due to trying it at work. Good that it will work for the Economist with my login.

EDIT: I'm on such a news crack Binge. I am kind of surprised at the lack of Korean and Japanese English news options though (as I've often read their English language websites).

Puddles

Banned
Hey, so anyone have any suggestion for why an ebook wouldn't show up on the "My Library" section on the amazon.com website and wouldn't sync up with the kindle app on an android?

Puddles said:
Hopefully someone with a kindle can help me out here.

I don't actually own a kindle yet, but I have the kindle app on my android phone, and I have kindle for PC on my laptop so that I can read books on it.

Yesterday, a friend of mine emailed me his e-book, which is in .prc format. It opens up just fine on my laptop through the kindle reader.

The problem comes up when I try to get it over to my android. I go to library (on my PC), and the book shows up. However, when I click on tools > manage your kindle, it takes me to a page on amazon.com that's supposed to show my library. Here, it ONLY shows the books I've downloaded from the website. No matter how many times I try to sync, the new book will not show up there.

When I try to sync my android's kindle library, the new book won't show up. I've tried at least 5-6 times now, and it just will not appear there either.

Am I doing something wrong?
All the online library stuff is what you've bought (even if it was free) from Amazon. Opening up a separate file will only work on that machine. So if you want to view the .prc on another device, you need to copy the file there manually.

Husker86

Puddles said:
Hey, so anyone have any suggestion for why an ebook wouldn't show up on the "My Library" section on the amazon.com website and wouldn't sync up with the kindle app on an android?

Answer above, did you not like my answer in the stupid questions thread? :(

Ecrofirt

Hey all, quick question.

My dad just self-published a book on Kindle, so I thought I'd due my due diligence and buy a copy of it.

I don't have a Kindle. It looks like Amazon will let me download the Kindle PC software and then purchase the book, so that's all well and good.

However, here's where my question comes into play.

There's no "Add to cart" option that I can see for the book. All I'm seeing is "Buy now with 1-Click". I've got a gift card balance on my account, and I hate choosing that option because it always takes money from the balance when I don't want it to.

Anyone know if that'll be what happens here? I'd much rather just purchase it with my credit card and keep my gift card balance where it is.

Ecrofirt said:
There's no "Add to cart" option that I can see for the book. All I'm seeing is "Buy now with 1-Click". I've got a gift card balance on my account, and I hate choosing that option because it always takes money from the balance when I don't want it to.

Anyone know if that'll be what happens here? I'd much rather just purchase it with my credit card and keep my gift card balance where it is.
It'll take funds from the gift card...no way around it, I'm afraid. All Kindle purchases are 1-click.

Ecrofirt said:
Hey all, quick question.

My dad just self-published a book on Kindle, so I thought I'd due my due diligence and buy a copy of it.

I don't have a Kindle. It looks like Amazon will let me download the Kindle PC software and then purchase the book, so that's all well and good.

However, here's where my question comes into play.

Wow, cool. How hard is it to do that? And what's your dad's book, if you don't mind me asking?

doghair said:
I bought one of these Belkin sleeves meant for the Kindle 2 a month ago through a fulfilled by Amazon vendor - sold as used but said it was brand new in the description. $5 and it fits my Kindle 3 & lighted cover perfectly. Looks like it is still offered as used/really new condition from other vendors for around $6 and up shipped.
Sorry to double post, but I bought one of these and thought I'd post some impressions in case anyone else is considering one as a back-to-school purchase.

It does indeed comfortably fit the Kindle 3 with the Amazon case. It seems well-made enough. The front and back of the case have cushy bumps on the inside. I wish it was just straight padding, but it feels cushy enough to protect the Kindle from being damaged by being squeezed in between a couple books or whatever else inside of a backpack.

The case doesn't have much protection on the sides however, and while I feel safe keeping my Kindle in a backpack with heavy stuff in this case, I definitely wouldn't want to drop it.

Anyway, if you're looking for something to protect your Kindle while carrying it around or while traveling, it's a nice case.

Top Bottom