• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

jayb

clip said:
So, Kindle or Kindle Touch?

Do either of them have ads?

both have an ad and ad-free option. the great thing about getting the one with ads is that if you later decide you don't like seeing ads, you can pay the $30 difference to remove them.

clip

jayb said:
both have an ad and ad-free option. the great thing about getting the one with ads is that if you later decide you don't like seeing ads, you can pay the $30 difference to remove them.

Thanks, just ordered the ad-free one. I'm only going to read public domain books to start, first up is Moby Dick.

Manics

Banned
bearythebear said:
Dammit, the only one available in Canada is the ad free one for $110.00. Still worth it in Canada?
Still cheap. Depends if you care about the keyboard or not. I prefer the smaller form factor due to lack of physical keyboard.

Xena

Ooops. Ok, help anyone? I haven't used my kindle (I believe it's the second gen, white one) in a while, and when I turned it on today, there's all sorts of "scratches" on the screen, which doesn't allow me to read anything. It's like, only a small part at the bottom is readable, the rest of the screen has all sorts of "scratches" (not physical ones). I tried holding that power button for a while and shutting off then on again, but it is still the same...

seabee said:
Ooops. Ok, help anyone? I haven't used my kindle (I believe it's the second gen, white one) in a while, and when I turned it on today, there's all sorts of "scratches" on the screen, which doesn't allow me to read anything. It's like, only a small part at the bottom is readable, the rest of the screen has all sorts of "scratches" (not physical ones). I tried holding that power button for a while and shutting off then on again, but it is still the same...
Hold Alt and press G on the keyboard. This does a full screen refresh.

Xena

I got in touch with amazon's customer service and they said they can't fix it. They said they can send me a replacement for $40 plus shipping... I guess I'll wait for the new kindle touch in november; it's 99 and it's probably a significant improvement from my 2nd gen...

Manics

Banned
seabee said:
I got in touch with amazon's customer service and they said they can't fix it. They said they can send me a replacement for $40 plus shipping... I guess I'll wait for the new kindle touch in november; it's 99 and it's probably a significant improvement from my 2nd gen...
The screen improvement alone will be worth it.

LCfiner

bearythebear said:
Dammit, the only one available in Canada is the ad free one for $110.00. Still worth it in Canada?
I would take a look at the kobo touch. I just got one. But it's not just about the touchscreen. The kobo library has a few more books that I wanted that amazon didn't have up here. Stuff from Carl Sagan and Isaac Asimov. Prices for other books match up.

I'll say this. The pearl e ink screen shared by these newer devices is noticeably better than the 2nd gen kindle. way more contrast.

ravien56

bearythebear said:
After shipping and duty costs/brokerage fees, it's run to about $150. I think they're selling them now in staples but only in store if you want to demo them before you buy. Gonna check them out this weekend but I wanna know if later down the line, theyll offer the ad free version to Canada.

Manics

Banned
ravien56 said:
After shipping and duty costs/brokerage fees, it's run to about $150. I think they're selling them now in staples but only in store if you want to demo them before you buy. Gonna check them out this weekend but I wanna know if later down the line, theyll offer the ad free version to Canada.

With shipping + import duties it cost $134 U.S. for me. Depending on exchange rate any given day it comes out to about 140 CDN.

Peru

Got my first Kindle today - it's the new cheapest model - couldn't get the 79$ one since I'm not in the US of A, but 109$ is a nice price anyway. First thing I noticed is how lovely black n' white photos look on this thing! And it's surprisingly small and neat.

Manics

Banned
Peru said:
Got my first Kindle today - it's the new cheapest model - couldn't get the 79$ one since I'm not in the US of A, but 109$ is a nice price anyway. First thing I noticed is how lovely black n' white photos look on this thing! And it's surprisingly small and neat.

Welcome aboard!

Peru said:

Embrace the goodness, the default screen-saver images look as if they are hand drawn. As a guy who used to always have a paperback somewhere concealed on his person or bag for some unplanned time to kill the kindle is a dream. Batteries will last something like 2-3 weeks with wifi turned off. I charge mine so rarely I am not certain how long it lasts, it has yet to cut out on me tho.

About to order one of those Oberon leather covers. Going for the one with Yggdrasil in wine color, its so sexy.

Manics

Banned
345triangle said:
thought "why not" and ordered my kindle yesterday, it's on its way!

anyone know if it's supported in calibre yet?
Yes it is. You can use the same calibre plugin to adjust margins and add a side loaded font as well without having to jailbreak. Oh ya and making collections, way easier using Calibre since the new Kindle has no keyboard.

Peru

I was wondering about collections, actually. The Calibre site lead me to believe collections couldn't be edited with their software, maybe I'm reading their faq wrong.

cool. i have a pretty big calibre library that i was using with my sony reader, so i guess it should just be a case of converting it all to .mobi format.

Gvaz

Banned
Manics said:
Yes it is. You can use the same calibre plugin to adjust margins and add a side loaded font as well without having to jailbreak. Oh ya and making collections, way easier using Calibre since the new Kindle has no keyboard.
How does making collections become less difficult from not having a keyboard?

bob page

Manics said:
What do you mean by side loaded font?

HeadlessRoland said:
You are using the unlighted standard black kindle cover?
I use that case, are people complaining it has messed up their Kindles? I haven't had a problem with mine, but I'd like to know of there's something I should be looking out for

Jintor

Jesus christ, I thought my Kindle that I've had for two days - my fourth replacement kindle, for anybody following this twisted saga - bricked itself in the same exact manner of my last one. Thankfully a reboot got it going again, but I was worried there for a while. Gonna leave it out of the case now, if that's causing some kind of overheating problem...

dr3upmushroom said:
I use that case, are people complaining it has messed up their Kindles? I haven't had a problem with mine, but I'd like to know of there's something I should be looking out for

Yes it can cause all sorts of problems, just read the user reviews on Amazon. It can get stuck in a endless loop and just lock up. Does your kindle frequently have a "booting" progress bar when you first turn it on. If so that is one of the symptoms.

Jesus christ, I thought my Kindle that I've had for two days

I am calling pilot error on this one...

Manics

Banned
Jintor said:
Jesus christ, I thought my Kindle that I've had for two days - my fourth replacement kindle, for anybody following this twisted saga - bricked itself in the same exact manner of my last one. Thankfully a reboot got it going again, but I was worried there for a while. Gonna leave it out of the case now, if that's causing some kind of overheating problem...
Which Kindle do you have ?

Jintor

HeadlessRoland said:
I am calling pilot error on this one...

No way. Literally all i've done with it is connect it to my Wifi, put three books on it, and leave it plugged into my PC to charge.

Kifimbo said:
How is the French ebooks selection ? Good, bad, awful ?
ZltUR.gif

Amazon has officially opened the French Kindle store.

http://www.amazon.fr/boutique-kindle/b/ref=topnav_storetab_kinc?ie=UTF8&node=672108031

Edit: According to the press release it launched with 35000 French works.

By the way, Kindle "Personal Documents" are now treated as if they were bought on Amazon. Full syncing, note storing, bookmarks, sharing, etc. So go nuts with any free books out there that aren't on Amazon.

vazel

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
By the way, Kindle "Personal Documents" are now treated as if they were bought on Amazon. Full syncing, note storing, bookmarks, sharing, etc. So go nuts with any free books out there that aren't on Amazon.
I just came across this feature today. It has 5GB of cloud storage. Really awesome of Amazon especially since you know people are going to abuse it by using pirated ebooks with this feature. A shame it doesn't work with the Kindle PC app.

I just came into a bit of money I wasn't expecting and I think I want to upgrade my Kindle. The only reason I hesitate is that I'm kind of not completely happy with either the new Kindle or the Touch. I'd love to have the Touch for the few times I need to type something and to select books and highlight words, but on the other hand I know I'd miss the physical turn-page buttons.

Think I might go with the Touch but it depends to on whether I can get a decent price for my current Kindle. Figured I'd ask on GAF if anyone's looking to buy a used one before I make a post on Craigslist or put it up on Amazon or whatever. If nothing else if anyone want to comment on whether they think it's fairly priced or not I'd appreciate it.

It's a Kindle Keyboard (got it in May, as far as I know they didn't make any changes but just so you know it's technically a Kindle 3). Non-ad version, used quite a bit but in excellent condition. The only sign of wear is that the turn-page buttons maybe aren't quite as clicky as when I first got it.

I'd really like to get $120 for it. I'm selling it with the non-lighted leather case and this extra case that is large enough to hold the Kindle inside the leather case. I heard stories about the leather case alone not being protective enough to keep a Kindle in a backpack with heavy things, so I got it just to be sure since I take it to school along with text books. And the leather case is a necessity as far as I'm concerned, some people get along fine without one but in my opinion the Kindle's are too thin for their own good and are uncomfortable to grip without a case to add some girth.

Anyway, send a PM if your interested.

vazel said:
I just came across this feature today. It has 5GB of cloud storage. Really awesome of Amazon especially since you know people are going to abuse it by using pirated ebooks with this feature. A shame it doesn't work with the Kindle PC app.
so i could convert my old sony reader books to .mobi, upload them to amazon's server and they'd download to my new kindle plus the iOS apps with syncing across all three? if so, that's awesome and i might not even need to use calibre.

345triangle said:
so i could convert my old sony reader books to .mobi, upload them to amazon's server and they'd download to my new kindle plus the iOS apps with syncing across all three? if so, that's awesome and i might not even need to use calibre.
It's not on iOS yet, but the email that told me about the feature upgrade said it was coming within the next few months.

For now I'm happy that I can take notes and highlight parts of a book and it'll always be accessible to me on Amazon's website.

dr3upmushroom said:
I just came into a bit of money I wasn't expecting and I think I want to upgrade my Kindle.

Why? The Kindle you have is still considered current-gen. The Kindle Keyboard is just the Kindle 3 with a new name.

I have the $79 Kindle and love it, but I wouldn't have gotten it if I already had a K3/KK (I went from a K1 to the $79 model, so it was a big leap for me).

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

How does it work though? Do I have to make a note to get it to sync that particular document?

Fjordson

Has anyone read The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson on Kindle? Randomly saw a few reviews saying the Kindle version was riddled with errors, but the free sample seems perfectly fine. Anyone out there able to say either way?

Heard a lot of great things about it, would love to go through it on Kindle.

Top Bottom