• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Woke up to a broken Kindle screen today :( Ruined my day, I love the damn thing.
What are the chances that Amazon UK will replace my Kindle for free?

Got my new kindle today, LOVE IT. So thin and light and e-ink still feels like magic to me. So glad I waited for this refresh to finally join the club, Amazon really crushed it with this refresh.

Gary Whitta said:
Got my new kindle today, LOVE IT. So thin and light and e-ink still feels like magic to me. So glad I waited for this refresh to finally join the club, Amazon really crushed it with this refresh.

As a writer, how do you feel about the e-book market?

I've become obsessed with the indie hard boiled/noir scene after buying a few books for a $1 a piece. It really opened my eyes to a new world of books. I've read some incredible stuff that I would never have discovered with a Kindle...

3N16MA said:
Can you do page turns by touching the left half of the screen on the touch?
Sort of. They have it so you can use your left thumb to page forward by making the page forward section very large and the page back section very slim.
1SMsZ.jpg

bob page

Aquavelvaman said:
Sort of. They have it so you can use your left thumb to page forward by making the page forward section very large and the page back section very slim.
1SMsZ.jpg
What concerns me with this is the size of the device. I have the new $79 model and since it's smaller than previous revisions, I find my hands sometimes touching the edge of the screen near where I hold it. Accidental page turns, possibly?

Anyway, I'm quite glad I chose the non-touch version.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Karish said:
Also, compared to my girlfriends Kindle 3, her e-ink screen looked about 10% better. I know they're all the same though, so maybe it was just in my head...

It could be because her Kindle is a darker color, making it look better compared to the lighter gray Kindle 4?

I'm just adding a bunch of public domain stuff on my Kindle right now. I don't like waiting for my case though, I may find a real cheap thing to stuff it in until the Amazon one gets shipped to me.

Manics

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:
To tell you the truth, I downloaded it, installed it, and have never used it. I'm not entirely positive, but it sounds like they do the same thing. Is there anything Calibre can't do?
Yeah I stayed away from Calibre for a bit but now i've discovered all these cool things it can do with plugins. New version keeps coming out every few days too. These guys never stop.

Shurs

I keep going back and forth on whether I want the new Kindle or the 3rd gen (Kindle Keyboard) model.

I feel that the keyboard would be very helpful when I start to get a large collection of ebooks. Then again, how often would I need to use it other than for navigating my collection?

I really wish the Touch model had page turning tabs on the sides like the other models.

Agyar

I had been holding out for the refresh, anticipating Amazon would make what is essentially the Touch model. That said, now that all the details are revealed, I'm becoming tempted to go for the "normal" model (the 4, not the 3/keyboard model). Initially I was all for losing every button possible (ala the iPhone/iPad) but the buttons on the side for turning the pages actually seem far more useful than the touch alternative. Will have to consider further but the wait until November for the Touch isn't helping either.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
honestly i'm just gonna wait for the color e-ink one at most, in a kajillion years

i can see my 3 being functional for a long long time

Muskweeto

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yeah they really should have put buttons on the sides of the Touch model. It's the only reason I'm not going for it, and it looks like it's the most common complaint.
They'll add that to the Kindle Touch S.

I like my Kindle 3 and plan on sticking with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enco said:
Apple don't seem to have a issue with it?

What logical reason is there behind not releasing the kindle touch here?

stock availability most likely. US isn't out until November, so they want to make sure they have stock to meet demand. It'll be out in the UK as soon as they can build enough. I'm sure they wouldn't want to miss christmas if they can help it.

Kindle fire we may never see as its so reliant on Amazon services which aren't widely available outside of the US

Wurst

Oh happy day! :D
Checked my Emails and couldn't believe my eyes: Amazon Germany sent out my very first Kindle one week early! Yay!

I love you, Amazon! I truly do!

Ace 8095

Whats the battery life for the new kindle? On amazon it says one month assuming 30 minutes of reading a day, so can I take that to mean a 15 hour batter life?

btkadams

Ace 8095 said:
Whats the battery life for the new kindle? On amazon it says one month assuming 30 minutes of reading a day, so can I take that to mean a 15 hour batter life?
i think that also includes the other 23.5 hours a day it's in sleep mode (which has a picture on the screen), so it's still sort of on during the rest of the day. i'm really not sure. i just got the new kindle last week and it's still nearly fully charged. i can't say how long i've spent reading on it but i've had wifi on and read almost all of the shining.

Ace 8095

btkadams said:
i think that also includes the other 23.5 hours a day it's in sleep mode (which has a picture on the screen), so it's still sort of on during the rest of the day. i'm really not sure. i just got the new kindle last week and it's still nearly fully charged. i can't say how long i've spent reading on it but i've had wifi on and read almost all of the shining.
In some of the reviews on amazon people have noticed the battery life is shorter than the kindle three. I think this is only a problem when using the lighted case which I have no intention of buying.

I've preodered the kindle touch but I'm strongly considering by the regular version instead. I just wish it had the same sized battery and the same extra features.

kaskade

Gary Whitta said:
What made you go with the non touch model? Was it playing with the tested one? The only thing really holding me back from the touch is the lack of hardware page turn buttons. It's also a bit bulkier.

suaveric

Is there someway to turn the clock on so that it's there while you're reading a book? There must be a way to do it, while else would they let you set the time in the options. I've got the latest, non-keyboard Kindle.

Snarfington said:
Woke up to a broken Kindle screen today :( Ruined my day, I love the damn thing.
It depends on if it is still under warranty and if it's your fault that it broke. If it is and you weren't, then you have a 97.9% (warning: random percentages are random) chance of having it replaced.

I can't see how the touch version would bring any improvements to the reading experience. It's fucking refreshing to pick up my Kindle 3 and not have to worry about it flipping pages or highlighting text by mistake. I'd also miss passing my Kindle to a friend and seeing them poke at the screen like it's an iPad! Hahaha.

My dream Kindle would be much like the $79 version with just enough bezel to hold the dpad and side clicky buttons. I'm talking totally screen on the front. *dreams*

mrklaw

MrArseFace
patrickthehedgehog said:
I can't see how the touch version would bring any improvements to the reading experience. It's fucking refreshing to pick up my Kindle 3 and not have to worry about it flipping pages or highlighting text by mistake. I'd also miss passing my Kindle to a friend and seeing them poke at the screen like it's an iPad! Hahaha.

My dream Kindle would be much like the $79 version with just enough bezel to hold the dpad and side clicky buttons. I'm talking totally screen on the front. *dreams*

I think you're more likely to accidentally flip pages on the non-touch. I do it all the time on my kindle 3. I dont' think I've ever touched the screen by accident, I'm too afraid of breaking it as it looks fragile

My ideal kindle would be a touch based on with no buttons except page turn buttons, designed to avoid accidental pressing. and the screen should be the same size as a standard paperback book, with enough resolution to render crisp text at the same font size as a standard paperback. Current e-ink is glorious and paper-like, but its not big enough.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Aquavelvaman said:
1SMsZ.jpg

Oh, this looks like a good idea, something I'd prefer to the regions on my nook.

Totakeke

I wanted to buy the Kindle non-Touch but the lighted cover only comes out middle of November. Is there a cheap case to tide over until then?

Fjordson

Going to keep my Kindle Keyboard model for now, but I bought the wife the new $79 model and wow. It's tempting me to upgrade already. Only used it a little bit, but I love it. Really light, looks cool, and the eInk is fast as hell. Well done, Bezos.

outunderthestars said:
I've become obsessed with the indie hard boiled/noir scene after buying a few books for a $1 a piece. It really opened my eyes to a new world of books. I've read some incredible stuff that I would never have discovered with a Kindle...
I think you should give me some recommendations, maybe in a PM. I crave that sort of stuff.

I've definitely discovered more books and been reading more thanks to Kindle. As a lazy bastard, I love being able to sit in bed and browse for eBooks.

Piecake

kinda lame that the kindle touch 3g doesnt offer 3g web browsing. Was tempted to just buy that and cancel my internet to save some money. Definitely no real reason to buy that 3G anymore now.

Gonaria said:
kinda lame that the kindle touch 3g doesnt offer 3g web browsing. Was tempted to just buy that and cancel my internet to save some money. Definitely no real reason to buy that 3G anymore now.
:lol What kind of surfing were you going to do on it? It's definitely not that good of a browser to do all your browsing, especially with eink...

Angst

Snarfington said:
HiroProtagonist said:
It depends on if it is still under warranty and if it's your fault that it broke. If it is and you weren't, then you have a 97.9% (warning: random percentages are random) chance of having it replaced.

If you're out of warranty they'll offer you a replacement for 40 USD. At least that what they did when I broke my Kindle2. Might be more expensive if it's a Kindle3 though.

Angst said:
If you're out of warranty they'll offer you a replacement for 40 USD. At least that what they did when I broke my Kindle2. Might be more expensive if it's a Kindle3 though.

It was just a refurb right? What's the condition of their refurbs?

Piecake

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:lol What kind of surfing were you going to do on it? It's definitely not that good of a browser to do all your browsing, especially with eink...

Why couldnt it? With touch screen and 3g, I would imagine it would be decent enough to do basic web browsing like check email and look at sites. I doubt streaming would work, but oh well.

Gonaria said:
Why couldnt it? With touch screen and 3g, I would imagine it would be decent enough to do basic web browsing like check email and look at sites. I doubt streaming would work, but oh well.

Because unless it's a lot better the web browser on the keyboard model is garbage. Have you even used the web browser before?

Manics

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Because unless it's a lot better the web browser on the keyboard model is garbage. Have you even used the web browser before?

They seemed to have improved the browser in the latest model (non-touch). It's either due to a faster processor, or some sort of code enhancements. Probably a bit of both, but web browsing it actually quicker in the new model and not as painful as it used to be.

Manics said:
They seemed to have improved the browser in the latest model (non-touch). It's either due to a faster processor, or some sort of code enhancements. Probably a bit of both, but web browsing it actually quicker in the new model and not as painful as it used to be.

That's good then. I'm interested to try it myself sometime. Hopefully I have time to test one out eventually.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so I'm looking into getting the $79 $109 version (fuck ads). My only question is: does it have touchscreen functionality at all, for turning pages and such?

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, so I'm looking into getting the $79 $109 version (fuck ads). My only question is: does it have touchscreen functionality at all, for turning pages and such?

No, touch has a touchscreen the non-touch does not.

The Technomancer

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No, touch has a touchscreen the non-touch does not.
Ah well, don't need to flip pages by hand anyway. I've decided its finally time to grab an eReader, between a lot of PDFs I have and my local library's "eBook borrowing" system

x-Lundz-x

I have a question about ordering kindle books from Amazon. Does anyone know if there is a way to purchase a book using any other method than one click? I have a 5.00 credit for kindle books and I want to verify it's going to be used before I complete the order.

Every book I have ordered using one click it's immediate.

jayb

mrklaw said:
My ideal kindle would be a touch based on with no buttons except page turn buttons, designed to avoid accidental pressing. and the screen should be the same size as a standard paperback book, with enough resolution to render crisp text at the same font size as a standard paperback. Current e-ink is glorious and paper-like, but its not big enough.

I don't see the problem. The screen seems pretty close to the size of a mass market paperback to me. If the font is too small you can increase it. And if you want a larger screen there is the DX.

Are you saying you want a screen size that is between the kindle and DX?

The_Technomancer said:
Ah well, don't need to flip pages by hand anyway. I've decided its finally time to grab an eReader, between a lot of PDFs I have and my local library's "eBook borrowing" system

Which ones are you looking at? I know some say PDFs aren't the greatest on them depending on what kind of PDF you need.

bob page

The_Technomancer said:
The ads are only visible if you aren't using the device (plus a small one on the home screen, but that's negligible).

The Technomancer

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Which ones are you looking at? I know some say PDFs aren't the greatest on them depending on what kind of PDF you need.
Some Dungeons and Dragons - Pathfinder books, so a lot of small text and charts. Spec sheets for mechanical components as well.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Kindle supports pdf, but I would personally never use it for them. It just doesn't handle them very well. Especially the few I've tried with small text. You'd be constantly zooming in or scrolling around.

The Technomancer

Verdre said:
Kindle supports pdf, but I would personally never use it for them. It just doesn't handle them very well. Especially the few I've tried with small text. You'd be constantly zooming in or scrolling around.
What kind of issues are we talking? Actual rendering issues, or just size issues?
Also, I know this is a Kindle thread but if someone has a recommendation for a reader that has great PDF support I'd be all over it.

Top Bottom