• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Pachimari

Came to think of it. As I am located in Denmark, I need to buy the Kindle through the US Amazon.com but can I buy and read books from Amazon.co.uk or how do you do it?

Anastacio said:
Came to think of it. As I am located in Denmark, I need to buy the Kindle through the US Amazon.com but can I buy and read books from Amazon.co.uk or how do you do it?
The books will come from the Amazon.com Kindle store region: 'Europe', not amazon.co.uk. If you check the Kindle store at the .com address it should be set to Europe already. It's above the Browse list on the left.

DaBargainHunta said:
Why? The Kindle you have is still considered current-gen. The Kindle Keyboard is just the Kindle 3 with a new name.

I have the $79 Kindle and love it, but I wouldn't have gotten it if I already had a K3/KK (I went from a K1 to the $79 model, so it was a big leap for me).
Xray looks really cool to me, I know I'd use it a lot. Also I've been really wanting to upgrade to the cover with the light, and since I already have the non-lighted one for my current Kindle it's easier for my to justify getting one if I get a new Kindle than it is to spend the $60 and have a useless case sitting around.

Also I just like gadgets and the new Kindles look really slick. I'd only upgrade if I can get a decent price for my current Kindle though, I agree that the new Kindles are nowhere near exciting enough to get one at full price if you already have one. Not really a necessary purchase but if the upgrade would only cost me around $30, that's worth it for me for xray, the smaller form factor and a lighted case.

Manics

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
How does it work though? Do I have to make a note to get it to sync that particular document?
Email your personal document to your Kindle email address (xxxx@kindle.com) then when you turn on wifi on your kindle the document is downloaded to your Kindle and bookmarks / notes etc are preserved going forward. If you then delete your doc from the Kindle it'll go into your Archived documents just like purchased books. It can be redownloaded any time.

Manics

Banned
DaBargainHunta said:
Why? The Kindle you have is still considered current-gen. The Kindle Keyboard is just the Kindle 3 with a new name.

I have the $79 Kindle and love it, but I wouldn't have gotten it if I already had a K3/KK (I went from a K1 to the $79 model, so it was a big leap for me).
Yup the Kindle keyboard has the same screen as the new Kindles so there's no difference. Only reason to upgrade is the form factor. If you find you never use the keyboard then it makes sense to get the newer, smaller Kindles. (also audio books/text to speech ie if you don't ever use it you don't really need the kindle keyboard)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If I update my Kindle 3's firmware, will it become un-jailbroken? I don't really have need for the cloud storage, but I'd like to be certain in case.

Manics

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
If I update my Kindle 3's firmware, will it become un-jailbroken? I don't really have need for the cloud storage, but I'd like to be certain in case.
No. You can update right over the jailbreak it won't go away. Did it to my wife's Kindle.

Kammie

Is there any way to make the definition popups have more than 2 lines on a Kindle 3? I've noticed from photos that the new Kindles seem to have 3 lines... it would be infinitely more convenient.

I see talk of new firmware, but I don't think anyone has posted it yet.
Amazon said:
Download your archived Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: You can now view and download your archived personal documents to your Kindle Keyboard conveniently anywhere at any time. Your personal documents will be stored in your Kindle library until you delete them from Manage Your Kindle.

Whispersync for Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: Just as with Kindle books, Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for personal documents (with the exception of PDFs) across the Kindle devices. Learn more about Kindle Personal Document Service on www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments

AmazonLocal deals on Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers: Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers users in many regions can now view,purchase, and redeem AmazonLocal deals directly from Kindle Keyboard -- no computer, no printer, no hassle. AmazonLocal offers savings up to 75% off products and services from businesses in your city, national chains and online merchants. Learn more about AmazonLocal on www.amazonlocal.com.
Voice Guide Shortcut: Kindle Keyboard users can now quickly turn the Voice Guide feature on and off by holding the Shift key and pressing Spacebar. Voice Guide reads aloud menu options, content listings and item descriptions. To learn more about using Voice Guide on Kindle Keyboard, visit Customize Your Reading on Kindle.
Kindle Keyboard Software Update Version 3.3 main page

Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi: Download 3.3 - Your serial number will start with "B008"

Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - U.S. and Canadian Customers*: Download 3.3 - Your serial number will start with "B006"

Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - European Customers*: Download 3.3 - Your serial number will start with "B00A"

Phantast2k said:
Should I abstain from updating if my kindle is rooted?
It will install fine over the jailbreak and screensaver hack (and probably custom fonts as well, but I don't have any installed, so I can't verify it) and doesn't attempt to break them.

HiroProtagonist said:
It will install fine over the jailbreak and screensaver hack (and probably custom fonts as well, but I don't have any installed, so I can't verify it) and doesn't attempt to break them.
Cool. Mine just has the screensaver hack so I should be fine. Thanks for the fast reply.

Fjordson

Hmmm, so 3.3 is out? Not getting the update myself. Guess it takes a while for them to send it out if you're not doing it manually.

HiroProtagonist said:
So with the screensaver hack only, do you still get firmware updates automatically over wi-fi?

Fjordson said:
Hmmm, so 3.3 is out? Not getting the update myself. Guess it takes a while for them to send it out if you're not doing it manually.

So with the screensaver hack only, do you still get firmware updates automatically over wi-fi?
You know, I'm not sure. The download page says that it will auto-download(well, not auto, but closer to auto than manually loading via USB) if you "Sync and Check for Items" then put it to sleep. It came out on the 14th, so if that doesn't work then you will probably need to USB load it.

Manics

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:
You know, I'm not sure. The download page says that it will auto-download(well, not auto, but closer to auto than manually loading via USB) if you "Sync and Check for Items" then put it to sleep. It came out on the 14th, so if that doesn't work then you will probably need to USB load it.

My sister left her Kindle wifi on for 3 days in hopes it would update the firmware (she's not jailbroken at all). So far no luck.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to send books from one kindle account to another? I want to buy my wife a kindle for Christmas, but if I use my account, all that whispersync for personal documents etc will be a right pain - there are books she'll want that I don't, and vice versa. But also books that we both want to read but not share common bookmarks.

Kindle seems fantastic as a one-off device, but it seems like having more than one in the house starts to be problematic

edit: nice google e-books banner ad :)

Evlar

Banned
mrklaw said:
is there any way to send books from one kindle account to another? I want to buy my wife a kindle for Christmas, but if I use my account, all that whispersync for personal documents etc will be a right pain - there are books she'll want that I don't, and vice versa. But also books that we both want to read but not share common bookmarks.

Kindle seems fantastic as a one-off device, but it seems like having more than one in the house starts to be problematic

Yes, you can lend books to other users for 14 days, but only if the publisher enables the feature.

I don't think sharing common bookmarks is a pain. Just turn off wireless after downloading. But what you can do is have your wife on your account, have her download the books she wants, then have her register the Kindle to her account. I believe the books will stay on her device and she'll be on her own. Unless things have recently changed I don't think Amazon cares if you do this.

Manics

Banned
mrklaw said:

If you have 2 Kindles on the same account they'll each have their own unique "name@kindle.com" email address. The personal documents will only show up to the Kindle you email them to. So for example:

you@kindle.com
yourwife@kindle.com

If you want to send a book to your wife's kindle you would email it to "yourwife@kindle.com".

I'm pretty sure that's how it would work, but don't quote me on it :)

Manics said:
Email your personal document to your Kindle email address (xxxx@kindle.com) then when you turn on wifi on your kindle the document is downloaded to your Kindle and bookmarks / notes etc are preserved going forward. If you then delete your doc from the Kindle it'll go into your Archived documents just like purchased books. It can be redownloaded any time.
Tnx for the info. So for this to work best I better use calibers email export function instead of usb.

Fjordson

HiroProtagonist said:
Yeah, it's really weird. Mine is totally stock, no hacks or jailbreak or anything like that, and it still has me on 3.1 firmware.

Enco

The new Kindle is so beautiful.

Well worth the money. Feels fragile though. Need to get a case but the Amazon ones aren't out yet. Their price is pretty ridiculous though.

Anyone know why some of my document transfers via USB don't show up? Some do, some don't.

Manics

Banned
Enco said:
The new Kindle is so beautiful.

Well worth the money. Feels fragile though. Need to get a case but the Amazon ones aren't out yet. Their price is pretty ridiculous though.

Anyone know why some of my document transfers via USB don't show up? Some do, some don't.
What type of docs aren't showing up? Did you transfer a crapload at once and they're on a different page?

Neverfade

This is probably an obvious answer I'm overlooking, but how the fuck do I cut off highlights? I don't give a rat's ass about that shit and the lines are distracting.

Edit: A modicum of research show's im talking about 'Popular Highlights' as Amazon calls them. The ones where lots of people highlight something and they don't tell you who highlighted it. Annoying nonetheless.

Edit: I found the answer! Hint: There's three pages of settings. After two weeks of owning this thing, I just noticed this. :lol

mike23

Neverfade said:
This is probably an obvious answer I'm overlooking, but how the fuck do I cut off highlights? I don't give a rat's ass about that shit and the lines are distracting.

Edit: A modicum of research show's im talking about 'Popular Highlights' as Amazon calls them. The ones where lots of people highlight something and they don't tell you who highlighted it. Annoying nonetheless.

Edit: I found the answer! Hint: There's three pages of settings. After two weeks of owning this thing, I just noticed this. :lol

You can turn it off on the third page of the settings menu.

Fjordson

Manually updated to 3.3 no problem. I guess the auto-update over wi-fi from 3.1 isn't working according to a bunch of people on Amazon's forums.

Possibly dumb question about custom screensavers, though: since I have 3.3 installed, do I have to wait for the hack to be updated for the new firmware? I did everything listed here (got the link from the screensaver topic here on GAF), but when I go to update it just ends up as unsuccessful and goes back to my Kindle's home screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone have a sony reader? These are interesting to me as they're compatible with overdrive e-library lending in the UK and our local library supports it. Our son chews through books really fast, so it might be a good option for him.

i know overdrive supports kindle in the US now, but I've not heard anything about UK support.

Can I convert kindle purchases to epub and vice versa? Realise DRM might be an issue.

edit: just noticed the kobo touch is being sold by WHsmith in the UK now.

Do any of these support wireless delivery of books? I love how the kindle just lets you email books to it via the @free.kindle.com email address. Having to use USB wouldn't be the end of the world but it'd be a shame, especially when these devices come with wifi.

Angst

mrklaw said:
Anyone have a sony reader? These are interesting to me as they're compatible with overdrive e-library lending in the UK and our local library supports it. Our son chews through books really fast, so it might be a good option for him.

i know overdrive supports kindle in the US now, but I've not heard anything about UK support.

Can I convert kindle purchases to epub and vice versa? Realise DRM might be an issue.
Calibre is your friend and can convert everything you throw at it.

Fjordson said:
Manually updated to 3.3 no problem. I guess the auto-update over wi-fi from 3.1 isn't working according to a bunch of people on Amazon's forums.

Possibly dumb question about custom screensavers, though: since I have 3.3 installed, do I have to wait for the hack to be updated for the new firmware? I did everything listed here (got the link from the screensaver topic here on GAF), but when I go to update it just ends up as unsuccessful and goes back to my Kindle's home screen.
The jailbreaks are firmware specific. Tifan Lu (firmware hacker (cracker?) from MobileReads) is working on firmware 3.3 and 4.0 currently.

Enco

Manics said:
What type of docs aren't showing up? Did you transfer a crapload at once and they're on a different page?
Epub and doc using Pages from the mac.

Nah just one at a time and I only have one page.

Manics

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:
The jailbreaks are firmware specific. Tifan Lu (firmware hacker (cracker?) from MobileReads) is working on firmware 3.3 and 4.0 currently.
Weird. If he had been already hacked at 3.1 and then updated to 3.3 the jailbreak would still be there. My wife's Kindle is on firmware 3.3 with jailbreak and custom screensaver.

DiscoJer

Enco said:
Say whaaat. I'm sure I read about doc support somewhere.

Thanks anyway!

It says

Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

So I guess that means you need to convert it? (Which strikes me as a dumb statement from Amazon, as of course it would support things if you convert them to mobi first). But I guess they mean via emailing the documents to them

Fjordson

Manics said:
Weird. If he had been already hacked at 3.1 and then updated to 3.3 the jailbreak would still be there. My wife's Kindle is on firmware 3.3 with jailbreak and custom screensaver.
Hmm. So I guess it carries over then if you previously had it. I hadn't done anything on mine and then tried after I updated to 3.3, but it's not working.

Manics

Banned
DiscoJer said:
It says

So I guess that means you need to convert it? (Which strikes me as a dumb statement from Amazon, as of course it would support things if you convert them to mobi first). But I guess they mean via emailing the documents to them
Ya I think it's through email and Amazon will convert. Technically it can support any format if you're able to convert it yourself lol

Manics said:
Amazon plugged the hole he used to get into 3.1, but they left the modifications intact. I don't think they care about fonts or screen savers, but I'd imagine they can't let a published exploit stay open.

Gvaz

Banned
There's not much else you can do on a kindle outside of books anyways, and I just want custom screensavers and fonts anyways

rithvikgv

Neo Member
I am reading A Storm of Swords on the new Kindle and the maps are pretty much unreadable. I tried the picture viewer mode and inverted the images to see if that was any better. No dice. How are you guys dealing with this?

Kammie

rithvikgv said:
I am reading A Storm of Swords on the new Kindle and the maps are pretty much unreadable. I tried the picture viewer mode and inverted the images to see if that was any better. No dice. How are you guys dealing with this?
You can't. The maps in that are too low-res to make out. What I did is take the hi-res maps that are linked to on the file itself and I rebuilt the whole thing (stripped the DRM, converted to EPUB, replaced the maps with properly resized versions in Sigil, then converted back ... pain in the butt).

You'll be better off printing these things out.

DiscoJer

Manics said:
Ya I think it's through email and Amazon will convert. Technically it can support any format if you're able to convert it yourself lol

It's weird though, if you email your stuff to Amazon, you apparently can only download it via Wi-Fi, not to your PC and USB it (I've seen a few games like that, Pop-Cap's for instance)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DiscoJer said:
It's weird though, if you email your stuff to Amazon, you apparently can only download it via Wi-Fi, not to your PC and USB it (I've seen a few games like that, Pop-Cap's for instance)

no, you can do both. Email it to the 'free.kindle.com' email address and it'll get converted and download via wifi. But you'll also get a confirmation email from amazon that it was delivered, along with a link to the document stored on amazon's servers for download to a PC. And at any time you can go to the 'manage your kindle' page on amazon and all your personal documents are viewable there for downloading.

Did it myself yesterday. Occasionally my kindle will get stuck not downloading something - it'll show pending but not do anything. So I'll go in via USB and clear some stuff out and just copy it across manually.

So I was thinking about buying a Kindle for my wife for Christmas since she's a big reader. Kind of not sure which one I should go with... She loves Angry Birds so that would indicate Kindle Fire, but it's def. more important that she's able to use all her old .TXT, .PDF, .MOBI, and .DOC eBooks she already has. Is the Kindle Keyboard the only one of the 'old' ones I should look at? I know for a fact she doesn't care about 3G or Wifi type stuff.

Just looking for an idea of what models to start looking at. Thanks!

Top Bottom