• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
demon said:
How well does the Kindle work with PDF files? I read that you can e-mail PDF files to your Kindle.....how does that work?

And on that note, are there any good programs out there that convert online articles/web pages to pdf files that would work well on a kindle?

If you want to read PDF files then Kindle is NOT the answer. It handles them poorly.

So I just finaihed editing a book thats short, 5,000 words for publishing on Kindle and Nook and its the first in a short story series. (Its a teen book.) I also have 3 short stories around 1,500 words total that I was planing to publish seperatly until I found out you couldn't puliblish anything free so am now publishing them in this book.

I uploaded the short story collection around a month ago to see how the uploading process worked and noticed something odd. (And funny.) The Kindle Locations went from 1 to like 13,000 or so. Obviously this isn't right. By going off of the 52 Kindle books I've read since December it should be around 100-500 at most. Has anyone published to kindle on here and ran into these problems? Anyway to fix it? Is it just the preview being messed up? Should I just not worry about it..?

I know I don't really bother to type correcly on these forums and that my book probably won't take off but I had fun writing it. (Not so much editing it lol. But it IS edited pretty good.) And it'll be fun to see if anyone else gets it and likes it. Still gotta get the paragraph indents right for the story (already did them on the short story collection so I know how.) and try to come up with a somewhat good cover then I'll be ready to publish!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
bob page said:
Does Amazon charge you to send ebooks to the Kindle using the @kindle email address?
Nope. So as long as it's done over wifi. 3G costs money.

Xena

So, I couldn't wait for Kindle touch and after seeing how small and cheaper the $79 one was, I took the plunge and got one. Like some mentioned, the screen alone is indeed far superior than my 2nd gen. Really outstanding. The size is perfect, and on top of that my adapter from the 2nd gen also works with the new kindle, so here's a satisfied customer, lol!

DiscoJer

WiiRevolution1 said:
I know I don't really bother to type correcly on these forums and that my book probably won't take off but I had fun writing it. (Not so much editing it lol. But it IS edited pretty good.) And it'll be fun to see if anyone else gets it and likes it. Still gotta get the paragraph indents right for the story (already did them on the short story collection so I know how.) and try to come up with a somewhat good cover then I'll be ready to publish!

I know. I've got 4 novels written but not edited. I'd rather work on a new one than edit my old ones.

demon said:
Question about Kindles (or I suppose e-books in general but I'm interested in the $79 Kindle because of price). I'm really not interested in one because of e-books as I prefer physical books, although I'd probably take advantage of that at some point, but I'm honestly more interested in getting something like this for reading articles. I hate printing articles out all the time, and reading them on my computer or on my tiny Droid both kinda suck. Being able to read any article I want in e-ink form would be awesome. How well does the Kindle work with PDF files? I read that you can e-mail PDF files to your Kindle.....how does that work?

And on that note, are there any good programs out there that convert online articles/web pages to pdf files that would work well on a kindle?

PDFs and 6" readers just don't really mix. One of the first things I did when I got my K3 was to try some of the old pulp stories from pulpgen.com Unreadable, really.

However, there are a couple of programs that might sort of do what you seem to be after. They convert a PDF into a PDF optimized for a 6" screen

k2pdfopt
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144711

and

Papercrop

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677

Both of them basically turn the PDF into a series of pictures (and pack them into a PDF file). Makes the file much bigger and kind of ugly looking, but the end product is at least much easier to read.

my kindle got delivered yesterday and i love it - it's so light, and the screen is amazing - but the most impressive thing so far is the incredible instapaper support, which i didn't even know about! this thing would seriously be worth the price even if it were nothing but an instapaper reader.

bob page

345triangle said:
my kindle got delivered yesterday and i love it - it's so light, and the screen is amazing - but the most impressive thing so far is the incredible instapaper support, which i didn't even know about! this thing would seriously be worth the price even if it were nothing but an instapaper reader.
Wait, what? Explain please.

edit: Nevermind, found it on their site. Excellent.

Snaku

Banned
What the fuck? I bought a book from Amazon's Kindle store, and downloaded it through their Chrome Kindle app yesterday. I just loaded it up to read it and it says my License Limit has been reached.

License limit reached. You have exceeded the limit on the number of devices that can read this item. You may deregister any device no longer in use and delete the content, which will allow you to download this item.

I downloaded it one time to my Chrome browser app, and read it once. The fuck, Amazon?

Jintor

Snaku said:
What the fuck? I bought a book from Amazon's Kindle store, and downloaded it through their Chrome Kindle app yesterday. I just loaded it up to read it and it says my License Limit has been reached.

I downloaded it one time to my Chrome browser app, and read it once. The fuck, Amazon?

Help desk that shit.

Snaku

Banned
Jintor said:
Help desk that shit.

I did. Shot them an email since I don't have time to get on the phone right now. If this is how they handle their ebook DRM, and this is likely to happen to the other ebooks I've purchased through them, I don't think I'll be a kindle customer anymore.

Seriously considering canceling my Fire pre-order. So pissed off right now, and my books might not even work on the damn thing.

Jintor

There's no way that's how it works on the majority of book titles. Individual publishers can specify how they want it to work on specifics though I guess.

vazel

Banned
Snaku said:
I did. Shot them an email since I don't have time to get on the phone right now. If this is how they handle their ebook DRM, and this is likely to happen to the other ebooks I've purchased through them, I don't think I'll be a kindle customer anymore.

Seriously considering canceling my Fire pre-order. So pissed off right now, and my books might not even work on the damn thing.
Go to your Manage Kindle page on Amazon.com and deregister all your duplicate/unused devices. I have three registered devices(Kindle 3/Kindle PC/Cloud reader) and I've never had issues with licenses.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So I'm considering buying a Kindle, but I have a few questions:

- How does the Kindle 4 compare with the Kindle Keyboard (apart from the lack of keyboard and size/weight of the device)?
- I'm in France. If I buy an American Kindle, will there be any difference in terms of content and functionality? How much more is it gonna cost (keep in mind that France only has the non-touch Kindle model, and it costs 100€)?
- Additionally, can any Kindle access any Amazon store from any region?

Snaku said:
Tried that. The only devices there are my Cloud reader, and Kindle Fire.

Maybe their is something in their licensing were publishers can opt-out of using the cloud reader. What book is it?

Just checked a few books of mine, no problems here.

Benedict

Do the new Kindle work with Calibre if I would like to convert epub-books and other formats to use for Kindle?

Is the cheaper Kindle a good buy instead of Touch?
I live in Sweden and we can't preorder Touch from amazon.
We can only buy the cheaper $109 version.

Edit: Have they stopped selling the cover with built-in light on Amazon for the $79$109 Kindle?
I can't find it?
Any other alternatives for light-sources when reading?

Benedict said:
Do the new Kindle work with Calibre if I would like to convert epub-books and other formats to use for Kindle?
It reads the same formats, so any conversion tool that worked on earlier models still should.

brentech

Benedict said:

Is the cheaper Kindle a good buy instead of Touch?
I live in Sweden and we can't preorder Touch from amazon.
We can only buy the cheaper $109 version.

Edit: Have they stopped selling the cover with built-in light on Amazon for the $79$109 Kindle?
I can't find it?
You just need a plug-in for Calibre that removes the DRM from the books when you import them. Once that's installed, you can convert from one format to the other. It's quite simple really.
Other than for naming collections, I don't see any drawback to the cheaper version.

johnbeez

Neo Member
Benedict said:

The-Sun.jpg

96%7C00000cba1%7C38c1_red-lamp.jpg

11_12_52---Electric-Light-Bulb_web.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Got a basic question: I remember way back when when there was a footnote on the page if you clicked in it would go straight to the FN and actually show you the text. But in recent books it doesn't do that at all. In fact I can't even figure out how to skip to the footnote. Any ideas on what the issue is? Is it just based on the individual book or is it a Kindle thing? Seems like a no-brainer to get working right.

I imagine it's an individual book thing. I've used a Kindle 3 and books released at various times, and they'd usually provide links that would go to the footnote located at the tail end of the file.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
JoshuaJSlone said:
I imagine it's an individual book thing. I've used a Kindle 3 and books released at various times, and they'd usually provide links that would go to the footnote located at the tail end of the file.
But when you scroll down does it jump to the FN or do you have to manually drag the cursor down there? I feel like there should be options for this or something. Some books are really FN heavy and would benefit from having the old system (which I may be dreaming up).

AstroLad said:
But when you scroll down does it jump to the FN or do you have to manually drag the cursor down there?
Oh, I see what you were asking now. Let me test...

Tried two, including one with its ebook version released this year. Had to scroll down to the numbers manually, and if the cursor is left there the only thing it showed at the bottom was a message about typing to start a note, or clicking to follow the link. Don't know anything about whether the way you're talking about can be or was done.

Benedict

I would really like to have a Kindle but to deliver it from Amazon to Sweden, the cheapest version for $109 with a leather cover, will cost at least $220...

The only one we can order, Touch is US-only.

Snaku

Banned
VistraNorrez said:
Maybe their is something in their licensing were publishers can opt-out of using the cloud reader. What book is it?

Just checked a few books of mine, no problems here.

I don't know, and the Amazon rep that got back to me didn't know what happened either. But they restored my licenses to the book, and I can open it in the cloud reader again. I'm satisfied I guess, but this was an alarming experience to say the least. I don't understand the point of advertising Kindle as buy once read anywhere, and then listing over a half dozen devices you can read on, only to find out you wouldn't even be able to download the book to all of them. That's not what happened to me in this case, but the limit on devices and licenses is troubling.

Don't really know where to go from here as far as the Fire goes. I'm sure their instant video service operates under the same idea, and them removing your ability to watch a purchased movie for an undisclosed amount of time due to licensing restrictions (like HBO buying Avatar's broadcasting rights for X number of months forbids Amazon streaming from letting you watch it even after you've bought it) is flat out bullshit. Sure in the case of Avatar, it was even pulled from iTunes, but they don't kill the copy you've already downloaded. I don't know how that'll work for new movies purchased and downloaded on the Fire, but with the 8gb of storage you're kind of limited on which movies you keep on the device and which you leave in the cloud.

In short, fuck DRM.

flowsnake

Totakeke said:
Also definitely needed refresh per page or the text had a lot of missing pixels which is terrible.

Yes, and without it I get a sort of "burn-in" where you can still faintly see the text from the previous page too.

The option is there for unlimited number of devices, publishers just chose not to do that. I don't see the point to the limits because people can just remove and add devices when necessary. As far as I know removing a device does not delete the content, you just can't re-download it on there.

Manics

Banned
flowsnake said:
Yes, and without it I get a sort of "burn-in" where you can still faintly see the text from the previous page too.
I use the default setting of the partial refresh. I know what you mean but honestly it's not that bad on my Kindle 4, I can read just fine for 6 pages until the full screen flash makes everything clean again. Maybe it varies from screen to screen but in my opinion it's far better than my brother in law's Nook Touch which does the same partial redraw. On that one I find you need a full screen flash or you get bad ghosting.

iammeiam

So while browsing through books online, I stumbled across The Kindle Owner's Lending Library. I have a Kindle, I have Prime, so I can borrow up to one book a month for free.

The choices are pretty limited, the one-a-month restriction sucks, but Amazon's definitely taking a step in a direction I support here.

kaskade

I saw that too, free is good though. I don't know if It's included with Amazon prime student though, I'll have to check.

Edit: I checked and only paid student works. My membership is running out in feb so I'll be waiting until then.

Vyer

Hmm, 800 pages of lending library choices. Do I start browsing or just pick up that Moneyball on page 3. Lol

Damn, I figured they'd add book rentals to Prime, didn't think it'd be this soon though.

The one per month limit is pretty lame, especially when video streaming is unlimited. Hopefully that gets bumped up soon. Two would be nice, three would be awesome, four is probably as many as I'd ever use.

This pretty much cinches me getting a Fire. I was already pretty much on board, my free student Prime is about to expire and I was planning on getting it anyway, so I'd already have a subscription to get the video streaming and cloud service and whatnot. Now that I also get book rentals for my Kindle it's pretty much a no-brainer for me.

Prime is a pretty damn good deal now too, 12 books a year is like ~$90, and then the video streaming.

I expect we will see the per month rental limit go up really soon. As long as they only let you have one at a time I really don't think very many people are going to blow through more than a book or two a month anyway. Some people will, but then some people will sign up and check out three books the entire year. I expect it'd be a lot like a gym membership, sign up for Prime book lending to get you reading as your New Years resolution and then forget all about it three weeks later.

Benedict

Is Amazon Prime a US only thing?

I bought a new Kindle yesterday on E-bay for about $130 incl shipping, which I hope arrives to Sweden next week. Ordering from Amazon would be over $160.

I am thinking about getting some cover and would like to use Amazons Kindle Lighted Leather Cover. But that seems to be out of stock everywhere.
I'm also thinking about Amazons regular Kindle Leather Cover but I would have great use of the light.

Are there any good 3rd party covers you can recommend?

Meier

bob page said:
The Lending Library idea is amazing. Is there a way to view choices online rather than through the Kindle?
Not that I could find yet although I'm sure someone super smart will find a way to make it possible unofficially.

Manics

Banned
Benedict said:
Is Amazon Prime a US only thing?

I bought a new Kindle yesterday on E-bay for about $130 incl shipping, which I hope arrives to Sweden next week. Ordering from Amazon would be over $160.

I am thinking about getting some cover and would like to use Amazons Kindle Lighted Leather Cover. But that seems to be out of stock everywhere.
I'm also thinking about Amazons regular Kindle Leather Cover but I would have great use of the light.

Are there any good 3rd party covers you can recommend?

I've never really looked into Amazon Prime, but my guess would be it's U.S. only, all the good stuff seems to be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Prime is available in Europe (at least in the UK) but we don't seem to get much in the way of special stuff like this.

Still don't have kindle library support even though the UK libraries are supported by overdrive too

Manics

Banned
Looking at Amazon's Prime terms:

Eligible Purchases
Prime is limited to certain products sold by Amazon.com (or third-party merchants participating in the Fulfillment by Amazon program) on www.amazon.com that are shipped to continental United States addresses, excluding Alaska, Hawaii, P.O. boxes, APO/FPO and U.S. territories, possessions and protectorates.

Though Two-Day and One-Day shipping benefits do not apply to these excluded addresses, members are entitled to free Standard shipping on eligible items shipped to P.O. boxes in the continental U.S. and APO/FPO addresses with U.S. zip codes

So for shipping at least it's restrictive to continental U.S.

bangai-o

Banned
is anyone having problems loading up Google Reader now? It used to work so well, now I get a message saying cannot load page.

AndyD

aka andydumi
YOu mean pull up the site on the kindle? It may be an issue now that they redesigned the site and its all dynamic.

Top Bottom