• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I haven't been keeping up with this stuff at all, but lately I've been interested in getting a tablet for $200 or under. What would be the advantages to getting a Fire over a similarly priced Android tablet? I'm mostly interested in browsing, reading articles (not so much e-books) and watching movies (currently have netflix, may renew my Prime trial membership).

Snaku

Banned
demon said:
I haven't been keeping up with this stuff at all, but lately I've been interested in getting a tablet for $200 or under. What would be the advantages to getting a Fire over a similarly priced Android tablet? I'm mostly interested in browsing, reading articles (not so much e-books) and watching movies (currently have netflix, may renew my Prime trial membership).

The KF is primarily a media consumption device. Internet browsing, reading books/magazines/comics, watching movies/tv shows, listening to music, and playing apps. It's built around Amazon's content ecosystem, with all of your purchases stored on their cloud. The cloud is everything with the Fire, hence the tiny 8gb storage and no SD card slot. If you don't have wifi at home, and rarely visit places where wifi is freely available, it won't do you much good.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I got the lighted Kindle Keyboard cover (with my new Kindle). Opened it today and the light doesn't work properly. I clipped my Kindle in all the way (pretty sure at least).

I extend the light out and I have to wiggle it around a while until it comes on. Pretty disappointed. Anyone have a similar experience? Am I being stupid and not doing something right?

Fantastical said:
I got the lighted Kindle Keyboard cover (with my new Kindle). Opened it today and the light doesn't work properly. I clipped my Kindle in all the way (pretty sure at least).

I extend the light out and I have to wiggle it around a while until it comes on. Pretty disappointed. Anyone have a similar experience? Am I being stupid and not doing something right?
If there is no exposed metal and the top prong is pushed up, then you are probably latched in correctly.

Dany

Banned
Fantastical said:

There is a snap that happens when you pull out all the way, the light should come on then.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Dany M said:
There is a snap that happens when you pull out all the way, the light should come on then.
Huh, I knew about this, but I guess I wasn't doing it fast enough or something. I just pulled it out kind of recklessly and it seems to work that way. I think I was being too careful.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Snaku said:
The KF is primarily a media consumption device. Internet browsing, reading books/magazines/comics, watching movies/tv shows, listening to music, and playing apps. It's built around Amazon's content ecosystem, with all of your purchases stored on their cloud. The cloud is everything with the Fire, hence the tiny 8gb storage and no SD card slot. If you don't have wifi at home, and rarely visit places where wifi is freely available, it won't do you much good.
umm, isn't that what all tablets are for? Even if I were to get an Android tablet or iPad I probably wouldn't get one with 3G and would only use it with wireless. Would KF be my best bet for the money then?

Snaku

Banned
demon said:
umm, isn't that what all tablets are for? Even if I were to get an Android tablet or iPad I probably wouldn't get one with 3G and would only use it with wireless.

Some people were bitching about the lack of 3G on the Fire.

demon said:
Would KF be my best bet for the money then?

Can't say for sure until I've played with one myself, but on paper I'd say yes.

demon said:
umm, isn't that what all tablets are for? Even if I were to get an Android tablet or iPad I probably wouldn't get one with 3G and would only use it with wireless. Would KF be my best bet for the money then?

depends where you're going to use it. i don't think the kindle fire would be as useful on a flight (for example) as an ipad, as you won't be able to load it with too much content before you leave wireless range.

the streaming focus is why there's low capacity which is why there's a focus on streaming. if you're mostly going to use it at home, it should work fine.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is there anyway to connect to WiFi that requires a username and password? At my university, usually what happens is you try to connect to the network, it doesn't work, you open up an internet browser and type in your username and password and add the device to the network. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem possible with Kindle's web browser. Any way around this?

EDIT: Searched out IT help website and their solution doesn't work. Going to have to take it down to them.

bob page

Fantastical said:
Is there anyway to connect to WiFi that requires a username and password? At my university, usually what happens is you try to connect to the network, it doesn't work, you open up an internet browser and type in your username and password and add the device to the network. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem possible with Kindle's web browser. Any way around this?

EDIT: Searched out IT help website and their solution doesn't work. Going to have to take it down to them.
Manually register your computers MAC address as that of your Kindle then register your computer again, while reverting it back afterwards.

Benedict

Are you not supposed to be able to use the Kindle directly when you get it without charging?
I received my Kindle today and can't turn it on.

When I received it there was a image on it with the Kindle and the usb-cable prompting me to charge it.
I've charged it for an hour at the computer (computer can't find the kindle) and just now decided to plug it in to a wall socket instead.
The image is still there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Manics said:
Looking at Amazon's Prime terms:

So for shipping at least it's restrictive to continental U.S.

...for amazon.com, sure. Amazon.co.uk also has prime, which gives you free 1-day shipping to any address in the UK..

DiscoJer

Benedict said:
Are you not supposed to be able to use the Kindle directly when you get it without charging?

When I received it there was a image on it with the Kindle and the usb-cable prompting me to charge it.
I've charged it for an hour at the computer (computer can't find the kindle) and just now decided to plug it in to a wall socket instead.

Yeah, charge it at a wall socket until the charging light turns to green. Then if it won't turn on, call Amazon...

Benedict

DiscoJer said:
Yeah, charge it at a wall socket until the charging light turns to green. Then if it won't turn on, call Amazon...

Doesn't seem to come on...
Tried charging it twice now and the yellow light comes on but goes away after a few hours. No green light...
As soon as I plug it in again it turns yellow.
This is no fun...

Manics

Banned
Benedict said:

Should still be able to use it while charging. Is it the new Kindle or Kindle keyboard? Hold or press the switch a long time until something happens.

jayb

I assume that the $99 Kiddle touch w/SO is still the better option over the Nook touch, which is now $99 (with no ads)?

Benedict

Manics said:
Should still be able to use it while charging. Is it the new Kindle or Kindle keyboard? Hold or press the switch a long time until something happens.

It's the new Kindle.
Nothing happens when I press the ON/OFF-button

tokkun

jayb said:
I assume that the $99 Kiddle touch w/SO is still the better option over the Nook touch, which is now $99 (with no ads)?

I don't know, I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my Kindle pre-order and get the Nook Touch instead.

Nook
+Expandable Storage
+Faster page turn
+Longer battery life
+Page turn buttons

Kindle
+Cloud Storage
+X-Ray feature
+I like the UI better
+Have had good experiences with Amazon customer service

They each seem to have pros & cons related to PDF display.

Benedict

Manics said:
Did you try holding the ON/OFF button for a long time? Like 30 seconds or more?

Tried over a minute.
If I press it down when it's charging the yellow light disappears, but reappears again, when I release the button. Nothing comes on screen, just the same picture as before.

If I press down the button when the cable is not plugged in, nothing happens. No light or anything.
I think there must be something wrong with the battery.

Talked to Amazon support but they can't send me a replacement since it's a Special Offers Kindle and I live in Sweden. They must have a US adress.
Bought it from Ebay and have sent a mail to the seller who instructed me to contact Amazon.
Have mailed him back. Amazon has said they could send a replacement to the seller if he contacts them.

edit: this is how it looks:
20kyhc0.jpg

Manics

Banned
tokkun said:
I don't know, I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my Kindle pre-order and get the Nook Touch instead.

Nook
+Expandable Storage
+Faster page turn
+Longer battery life

+Page turn buttons

Where are you getting faster page turns and longer battery life on Nook Touch vs. Kindle Touch?

Manics

Banned
Benedict said:
Tried over a minute.
If I press it down when it's charging the yellow light disappears, but reappears again, when I release the button. Nothing comes on screen, just the same picture as before.

If I press down the button when the cable is not plugged in, nothing happens. No light or anything.
I think there must be something wrong with the battery.

Talked to Amazon support but they can't send me a replacement since it's a Special Offers Kindle and I live in Sweden. They must have a US adress.
Bought it from Ebay and have sent a mail to the seller who instructed me to contact Amazon.
Have mailed him back. Amazon has said they could send a replacement to the seller if he contacts them.

Eek, that's a bad situation. Sounds like the seller screwed you.

Birbo

For the new Touch models coming out, can you only purchase the non-ad supported version through Amazon? Went to Best Buy to pre-order one for my wife, but they only had the $99 SKU available. Do you just pay a $40 fee to make the ads go away?

tokkun

Manics said:
Where are you getting faster page turns and longer battery life on Nook Touch vs. Kindle Touch?

From the software update for Nook Touch that was announced today.

B&N claim that the software update reduces their page turn to 450ms vs 600ms for Kindle. They also doubled their claimed battery life from 2 months at 30 min per day to 2 months at 1 hour per day. Kindle's is 2 months at 30 min per day.

Manics

Banned
tokkun said:
From the software update for Nook Touch that was announced today.

B&N claim that the software update reduces their page turn to 450ms vs 600ms for Kindle. They also doubled their claimed battery life from 2 months at 30 min per day to 2 months at 1 hour per day. Kindle's is 2 months at 30 min per day.

Interesting, gonna tell my brother in law to update his Nook and see what happens.

Enco

Love my Kindle.

Just got the official Amazon case a few days ago and it's so sexy.

(from PC World because it's not in stock on Amazon's site)

Gvaz

Banned
Wait are you seriously saying you need more than 3GB of space for books? I have 1,375 books taking up about 1.552GB out of 3GB~

If it takes me a month to read one book, then it would take me 1375 months or 114.58 years to read every one of these books.

By default I'd prefer something able to take a micro SD card or something, sure, but for Kindle purposes space shouldn't be much an issue unless you're planning on using it for a ton of comic scans simultaneously or something.

Roude Leiw said:
are pdfs well readable on the kindle? or do you need to keep fumbling around? like adjusting the zoom and the page borders?

It depends on the size of the PDF. Higher resolutions PDF's are pretty much impossible to read on a Kindle unless you have a DX.

Manics said:

Kindle reports its battery life to be the same as Kindle 3. We know that the Nook Touch had a longer battery life than the Kindle 3. Thus Nook Touch has a longer battery life than the new Kindle.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Fantastical said:

I believe any authentication scheme that requires verifying a matching username and password will not work. Corporate authentication schemes typically require running an authentication protocol at a level higher than “common shared key”. I believe this is explicitly mentioned in their user manual. This is one of the reasons I would opt for a 3G enabled Kindle. The other reason is that being able to run the experimental browser “when your airplane has been diverted from Tokyo to a military base due to an earthquake 20 minutes before it was going to land and is waiting for refueling” and figuring out what the hell is going on is priceless.

tokkun

Gvaz said:
Wait are you seriously saying you need more than 3GB of space for books? I have 1,375 books taking up about 1.552GB out of 3GB~

If it takes me a month to read one book, then it would take me 1375 months or 114.58 years to read every one of these books.

Audio books can take up a lot of space. I ripped my own copies of A Song of Ice & Fire, and they are around 1 GB per book. Shame the Nook Touch doesn't have an audio jack and Kindle Touch has non-expandable storage.

tokkun said:
Audio books can take up a lot of space. I ripped my own copies of A Song of Ice & Fire, and they are around 1 GB per book. Shame the Nook Touch doesn't have an audio jack and Kindle Touch has non-expandable storage.

Why wouldn't you just use your phone or mp3 player at that point? Isn't a Kindle kinda cumbersome to use as an audio player?

tokkun

Marty Chinn said:
Why wouldn't you just use your phone or mp3 player at that point? Isn't a Kindle kinda cumbersome to use as an audio player?

I don't know, I don't own one. Putting audio books on my mp3 player is a hassle because they come up when I am working out and have random shuffle turned on.

tokkun said:
I don't know, I don't own one. Putting audio books on my mp3 player is a hassle because they come up when I am working out and have random shuffle turned on.

What mp3 player do you use? If you use an Apple based one, you can tag them as audio books and they'll only show up in the audio book section and not with the rest of your music.

Roude Leiw said:
are pdfs well readable on the kindle? or do you need to keep fumbling around? like adjusting the zoom and the page borders?
If it's just text PDFs they are readable in landscape mode, but you might as well just convert them. Picture heavy PDFs are not worth it, especially technical manuals and the like.

Manics

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Kindle reports its battery life to be the same as Kindle 3. We know that the Nook Touch had a longer battery life than the Kindle 3. Thus Nook Touch has a longer battery life than the new Kindle.
Kindle 3 and Nook touch both said 2 months battery with 30 min reading, now Nook is upping that to 2 months for 1 hour a day.

Manics said:
Kindle 3 and Nook touch both said 2 months battery with 30 min reading, now Nook is upping that to 2 months for 1 hour a day.

Kindle 3 said 1 month before Nook Touch came out and then magically the Kindle 3 was 2 months as Amazon fudged the numbers to look comparible. It was already proven the Nook Touch had a longer battery life than the Kindle 3 because it could result in more page turns and other measurements. So even with Amazon's fudging of the numbers, the Nook Touch still has the longest battery life even next to the new Kindle.

DiscoJer

Benedict said:
The seller has got a good reputation and it was a brand new kindle. unopened.
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/agapevarietystore

Hope it turns out OK in the end.

Well, part of the thing about Kindles is they are sort of fragile. Any sort of pressure on the screen will pretty much break it, causing it to freeze on the last screen displayed.

I've heard stories of them breaking just being put in backpacks (naked)

Roude Leiw said:

No. Just no. PDFs on a 6" e-reader are frustrating, and the CPU in e-readers tend to be rather anemic to save on power, so the whole thing is just an exercise in frustration....

tokkun

Marty Chinn said:
Kindle 3 said 1 month before Nook Touch came out and then magically the Kindle 3 was 2 months as Amazon fudged the numbers to look comparible. It was already proven the Nook Touch had a longer battery life than the Kindle 3 because it could result in more page turns and other measurements. So even with Amazon's fudging of the numbers, the Nook Touch still has the longest battery life even next to the new Kindle.

Amazon's doubling came because they changed their estimate from 1 hour a day to 30 minutes a day which matched Nook's old reporting...which is why it is so mystifying that B&B has changed their estimates to be based on 1 hour a day.

It would be an improvement if both companies just switched to reporting in terms of hours of continuous use, though a better situation would be the development of a standard like the CIPA standard for battery use in testing cameras.

tokkun said:
Amazon's doubling came because they changed their estimate from 1 hour a day to 30 minutes a day which matched Nook's old reporting...which is why it is so mystifying that B&B has changed their estimates to be based on 1 hour a day.

It would be an improvement if both companies just switched to reporting in terms of hours of continuous use, though a better situation would be the development of a standard like the CIPA standard for battery use in testing cameras.

Does battery life even matter when it is based in weeks?

tokkun said:

Ya, but then after that happened, they came out with stats on the number of page turns each device could do before the battery was depleted. That's much more telling and the Nook came out way ahead. Something like 150 hours vs 50 hours with a page turn every minute. Amazon never disputed those claims.

Kreven

I'm sur eit's been asked a few times before, but is there a way to get updated covers / screen savers on Kindle 3 like the ones seen on the newly released Kindles? (Other than going the customized screen saver way)

Top Bottom