• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

kaskade

I know this isn't amazon's fault but:

SUQei.png

Come on!

Husker86

Please don't buy it! Ugh publishers' greed is pissing me off we need to hit em with our wallets. Then they'll think they need to charge more to make up revenue.

Nevermind, we cannot win.

edit: Oh it has extras...hmm.

renitou

kaskade said:
I know this isn't amazon's fault but:

SUQei.png

Come on!
With these inflated prices, eBook piracy is going to come 'round and bite publishers in the ass just as it did to the music industry.

kaskade

Kosmo said:
Kindle Fire edition?
Yeah I didn't notice the audio/video thing, that adds two bucks, 16.99 w/o it. Still though, I should get a saving then environment discount, it's a 960 page book.

I wanted the kindle to entice me to read more, these prices don't help. What happened to everything being 9.99 and under.

Picked up a new kindle wi-fi last night! I've been waiting for a model without a keyboard before taking the plunge and replacing my slow bulky Kobo. Oh man did I make the right choice. Just gotta get a nice case now.

Insayne

Hello fellow readers :)

I am from Europe and wanted to buy a Kindle from Amazon US (the touch one).
However, that puts me in distress with all the region locking i seen from Videogames.
So just so I can shop safely, I have a few questions...

1) Can i buy books from Amazon Europe?
2) Can i transfer the bought books (from amazon Europe) to my U.S Kindle?
3) Is there anything I should watch out for?
4) What problems will await me?

Thank you very much!

Hi GAF, I've got a question and I didn't find a satisfying answer on Google : I've received my replacement kindle (yay !) but it now displays ads (nay !), and I hate it, I don't care about kindle tips, about amazon's amazing deals on memory cards, about amazon gift cards, and I absolutely do not care about AT&T supposed awesomeness. However, I really like the portraits of the authors that I can't see anymore.

Question : is there a way to turn off those ads (I remind you that I've originaly bought the non-ad-supported the kindle at the superior price), and to put custom screensavers ?
If not, is there a way to downgrade your kindle ?

Thank you.

Tribes of Trusty said:
Hi GAF, I've got a question and I didn't find a satisfying answer on Google : I've received my replacement kindle (yay !) but it now displays ads (nay !), and I hate it, I don't care about kindle tips, about amazon's amazing deals on memory cards, about amazon gift cards, and I absolutely do not care about AT&T supposed awesomeness. However, I really like the portraits of the authors that I can't see anymore.

Question : is there a way to turn off those ads (I remind you that I've originaly bought the non-ad-supported the kindle at the superior price), and to put custom screensavers ?
If not, is there a way to downgrade your kindle ?

Thank you.

Complain to Amazon. They should have sent you a replacement that didn't have ads.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Tribes of Trusty said:
I've read that now the ads are mandatory with 3.2.1 even if you did buy a non-ad one...

What a fuckload of bullshit.

WHAT. No. This is wrong. They're going to get sued out the wazoo if this is true, as they've already charged people $30 more for ad-less models for the past two years.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a question regarding the Amazon Prime borrowed books:

Is it true that I cannot read these on my iPhone Kindle app, even if I initially grabbed them on my Kindle?

I'm always switching between reading on my iPhone and Kindle depending on whether I have my Kindle on me or not.

FlyinJ said:
I have a question regarding the Amazon Prime borrowed books:

Is it true that I cannot read these on my iPhone Kindle app, even if I initially grabbed them on my Kindle?

I'm always switching between reading on my iPhone and Kindle depending on whether I have my Kindle on me or not.
Yes, actual Kindle only.

Some questions about content sharing between two Kindles on the same account.

I've had a Kindle 3 for about a year now, and I just ore-ordered a Touch 3G for my girlfriend for Christmas.

I'd like to keep her Kindle under my account so that I can pay or he books and so that we can share books between us since we tend to read many of the same things anyway, but I also want her to have access to Facebook sharing to her Facebook account and the ability to articles to her kindle using a browser plugin without pushing them to mine too. Is it possible to have your cake and eat it too, or would I have to force her to choose between free books or full functionality?

AndyD

aka andydumi
VistraNorrez said:
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is $1.99 on Kindle.

Excellent book. Long, but excellent. Slow in the first 50-100 pages, but once you are over that hump its great.

Benedict

Talked to my ebay-seller and he has spoken to amazon that they will send a replacement kindle to him that he will ship to me.

Searched a bit about disassembling a Kindle 4 and it seemed you're not supposed to. According to people who have tried it is impossible without damaging it and it is built in such a way that it can't be repaired, not even by Amazon.
It's a throw-away device, probably the reason behind the price.

Shurs

With Target's Black Friday deal on 3G Kindle Keyboards, I'm seriously considering picking one up.

Should I be considering the newer, $79 model?

I see these as the plusses to the Keyboard model:

-It has a keyboard. If I end up buying a large quantity of books, or downloading a bunch of free public domain titles, this will help me sort through them more easily, I imagine.

-Twice the storage capacity.

-Twice the battery life.

-3G, though I doubt I'll ever use this.

Downsides:

-Bigger

-Heavier

-More expensive -- The Black Friday price is $85 + tax.

-It may only come in white.

I know I don't want a Kindle Touch. I'd rather have the tactility of the page turning buttons.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shurs said:
With Target's Black Friday deal on 3G Kindle Keyboards, I'm seriously considering picking one up.

Should I be considering the newer, $79 model?

I see these as the plusses to the Keyboard model:

-It has a keyboard. If I end up buying a large quantity of books, or downloading a bunch of free public domain titles, this will help me sort through them more easily, I imagine.

-Twice the storage capacity.

-Twice the battery life.

-3G, though I doubt I'll ever use this.

Downsides:

-Bigger

-Heavier

-More expensive -- The Black Friday price is $85 + tax.

-It may only come in white.

I know I don't want a Kindle Touch. I'd rather have the tactility of the page turning buttons.

Yes you will. I even use it as a free mail/web browser when I travel to Japan and Europe. It's awesome.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Major plus to the keyboard model:

TEXT TO SPEECH

"But I'm not lazy so I wouldn't use that"

Yes you will. Eventually you will be reading on some tropical beach somewhere and your eyes will get heavy and you will wish your eReader had text to speech.

Shurs

Stumpokapow said:

TEXT TO SPEECH

Yes you will. Eventually you will be reading on some tropical beach somewhere and your eyes will get heavy and you will wish your eReader had text to speech.

I am that lazy.

Trust me.

Tralfamadore64 said:
Some questions about content sharing between two Kindles on the same account.

I've had a Kindle 3 for about a year now, and I just ore-ordered a Touch 3G for my girlfriend for Christmas.

I'd like to keep her Kindle under my account so that I can pay or he books and so that we can share books between us since we tend to read many of the same things anyway, but I also want her to have access to Facebook sharing to her Facebook account and the ability to articles to her kindle using a browser plugin without pushing them to mine too. Is it possible to have your cake and eat it too, or would I have to force her to choose between free books or full functionality?
For the browser plugin one, I think it should work. I thought you'd just have one email address associated with Kindle stuff in general, but double-checking online it says "Each of your Kindle devices is associated with a unique device-specific Send-to-Kindle e-mail address upon registration. Documents sent to this e-mail address are delivered to that specific device." So as long as the articles are being sent through email, they should be able to be targeted to one device.

The Facebook one... maybe. You change the social network settings on the device itself and I don't see anything about it in the Kindle online management area, so it might work to have separate accounts attached to separate devices that only get what was highlighted/commented on from the one device.

Manics

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

TEXT TO SPEECH

I never used text to speech in over a year of owning the Kindle keyboard. That includes beaches, pools, airplanes you name it.

vazel

Banned
I don't like the text to speech voice. Tried it once for 30 seconds, will never use it again. If I'm going to be feeling lazy I'd rather hear an audiobook(or not read at all).

vazel said:
I don't like the text to speech voice. Tried it once for 30 seconds, will never use it again. If I'm going to be feeling lazy I'd rather hear an audiobook(or not read at all).
You can change the voice by pressing 'Aa' when text-to-speech is active. The female voice is slightly better. Slightly.

vazel said:

I know some people read along with it on a treadmill. And another inventive way to use it is as an automatic page turner. Just turn the volume all the way down and figure out your reading speed.

The status of my pre-order changed to shipping soon and I received an e-mail from Amazon that the Kindle will arrive by the end of the week. I can't wait!

Runus

Lasthope106 said:
The status of my pre-order changed to shipping soon and I received an e-mail from Amazon that the Kindle will arrive by the end of the week. I can't wait!

Same for me. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yeah my account just got charged as well. Didn't really expect that, was hoping it could of done that when I got paid this Friday lol. Oh well, my girlfriend should be happy hers is arriving earlier than expected.

So I'm looking to buy a Kindle for my girlfriend for her birthday next week. I've noticed that they have quite a few different options now and I'm not sure which of them to get for her. I think she'd primarily use it for reading at home (on WiFi), so I don't think 3G is necessary. That said, I'm stuck between the Kindle and the Kindle Keyboard. I don't think I'm going to be getting her the Touch because it won't ship until late next week.

Does anyone have any advice on which I should get? Is the keyboard really necessary? Can the new Kindle browse books as easily?

Ended up going with the Kindle. Pumped.

Update on my ad-kindle situation : I received a reply from Amazon telling me that they are sure they sent me a non-ad-supported kindle, and thus I should reset to factory settings in order to see if that fix the problem, which is what I did.

Unsurprisingly, as soon as I connected to my amazon account via Wi-Fi, the ads re-popped up, as fierce and annoying as before. I've found out that if you DON'T connect to your amazon account you don't have the ads...I'd say that and the fact I can't organize collections anymore is a little price to pay for having Charlotte Brontë on my screensaver instead of Edward's smug face for Twilight part 4.

My advice : if you can afford it, buy an ad-free kindle.

Shipped! Will be here by tomorrow. =D

What a pleasant surprise today, especially with how bad my day's been.

I love how I live so close to a warehouse (New Castle Delaware). <3

tokkun

Still torn on whether to buy a Kindle Touch or Nook Touch. I guess I'll head to Best Buy in a couple days to see if I can get a hands-on comparison.

Tribes of Trusty said:
My advice : if you can afford it, buy an ad-free kindle.

Don't the new generation of Kindles allow you to pay to switch to the non-ad version via software update?

LProtag

Huh, when did you guys place your orders? I only placed mine about a month ago so I doubt it'll get here early, oh well.

Man, also I need a case and they're pretty expensive. The ones that look like old books are nice, but apparently they leave huge black marks on your Kindle? Or at least they did for one guy.

Top Bottom