• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Dropped my special offers wifi model, no physical damage, but the screen is fucked. It looks frozen, turning it off does nothing. Does Amazon repair these or replace them?

amazon customer service is outstanding, my girlfriend woke up, placed her hand on the screen and pushed herself out of bed, smashing the screen to bits. Rang up and told them and they gave her a new one for about 40 bucks. She didn't even have to send the old one back. It could have been a lie.

BFIB

amazon customer service is outstanding, my girlfriend woke up, placed her hand on the screen and pushed herself out of bed, smashing the screen to bits. Rang up and told them and they gave her a new one for about 40 bucks. She didn't even have to send the old one back. It could have been a lie.

My fiance got hers replaced last year. She was at the store, and always has her Kindle in her purse. Her purse strap broke, and the Kindle fell out and had a few pieces knocked off. Screen was also busted. Amazon replaced it free of charge, and had it to the house in 2 days.

Best customer service ever!

I just noticed Amazon has added the option to subscribe to Special Offers for not SO kindles on the 'manage your device' page. I subscribed and unsubscribed and it doesn't screw the screensaver hack once removed.
Is this true of the Kindle Keyboard as well? What firmware version are we talking about here?

Ah, I see — figured it out. It's through Amazon's website, not the Kindle itself. Nice to have the option now, though where the hell was this when they ran that crazy deal on Macbook Airs?!

I'm thinking about getting my wife a Kindle touch for her birthday cuz she loves her some e-ink. What's the deal with the special offers, though? Are there ads while you're reading, between page flips, when it goes into a screensaver? And of course, is it hackable so they can be removed entirely?

Ads are on the screensaver and at the bottom of the home page only. You can pay the difference if the ads annoy you. Getting a hack to remove them is looked down on. You will more than likely save enough money from the exclusive deals that the ads will have essentially paid for themselves or even the Kindle.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ads are on the screensaver and at the bottom of the home page only. You can pay the difference if the ads annoy you. Getting a hack to remove them is looked down on. You will more than likely save enough money from the exclusive deals that the ads will have essentially paid for themselves or even the Kindle.

This. In less than 6 months I have paid for the entire kindle with offers savings and trading the offer codes away. We buy a lot on Amazon, so savings racks up very quickly. If nothing else the $1 books, once a month or so adds up quickly.

turnbuckle

Ughh...

Hadn't used my kindle in several months, not since last May or June. I finally decide to start reading again a couple nights ago and the thing appears to be busted. The bottom half of the screen is mostly black and there are vertical lines running across it in a few spots. I've tried resetting it to no avail. Talked to Amazon today and they said the only thing they can do is repair it, which after shipping it'll cost about $90.

The thing is, I don't know what could've caused the screen to do this. I've kept my Kindle in its case and have left it untouched since I last used it. There's no damage to the device other than a slight scratch that occurred about a year ago. It was a 3G model.

This sucks, and now I'm not sure if I should get it repaired, get a new one, or what. It seems like the issue I'm describing has happened to several units. I love Amazon, but feel like I got a bum deal here.

Sh1ner

Just buy a Sony T1 or Kobo Touch? You can't compare US prices as they are ad-subsidised. Likely the Kindle touch would be more than the Kobo Touch (£109) and a bit less than the Sony T1 (£129).

Sony T1 has library lending built in (still waiting for overdrive to bring library support to the UK, even though they already power our libraries). And apparently converting kindle purchases to epub is fairly easy, in case you have a kindle already.

I have a kindle 3 + 3G and I think I'm going with the Sony next for library support. Plus its really light and slim

Even if the Kindle Touch came out in the UK tomorrow I ain't buying it until the 16th December as that when my new wage hits, 8K more a year! :)
I have enough books that need reading to last me probably April so I may still hold off.
Decisions decisions...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was just about to upgrade my Kindle4 3G to a Kindle Touch 3G, and I was looking at the pictures.

Are there no manual page turning buttons on the Touch? That would really suck for me, as I'm often reading my Kindle standing on a crowded subway car, and the position of the page turning buttons allows very easy one-handed operation.

I've been enjoying my time with the Kindle Touch so far. They corrected the one aspect I always felt was its biggest weakness: the user interface was always something I fought against. I love losing the keyboard (never ever used it), and though it doesn't have buttons to transition as a backup I haven't missed it. A simple button press on the screen does the same job, or if I flip hands then a gesture works as well. It's small enough, but the screen in general is bigger (but a bit form 2nd gen), that you can still easily change pages with one hand.

Can't wait to try out my kindle case that arrives tomorrow.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My Kindle got stolen today.
LLShC.gif
I already bought a new one. I called Amazon to have them deregister me from it and black list it. Fucker is stuck with a bunch of articles and free books.

I just noticed Amazon has added the option to subscribe to Special Offers for not SO kindles on the 'manage your device' page. I subscribed and unsubscribed and it doesn't screw the screensaver hack once removed.

Thanks, glad Amazon added this option. Been super jealous of people with a SO Kindle as the offers are good.

Manics

Banned
My Kindle got stolen today.
LLShC.gif
I already bought a new one. I called Amazon to have them deregister me from it and black list it. Fucker is stuck with a bunch of articles and free books.

Someone who steals a Kindle will probably know how to get illegal books, so they won't be stuck with just "free" books. Sucks though.

scy

Picked up a Kindle Touch last night and I'm loving it so far. Was sort of worried about the lack of the physical page turning buttons due to the complaints but I guess I have freakishly large hands or I hold it wrong or something as I have no real problems flipping pages with either hand, though left-hand is the only comfortable one for flipping both directions for me.

Now, to spend forever and a half getting accustomed to everything with this. And to hopefully work on my impulse buying so I don't go crazy buying books on a whim.

plc268

Thanks, glad Amazon added this option. Been super jealous of people with a SO Kindle as the offers are good.

Me too. I see people hating on the idea of ads on the kindle and are willing to pay and get rid of them, but I always hear of some excellent deals and feel sad I'm missing out.

I couldn't care less about the ads unless they started intruding while I read... thankfully they don't.

For anyone that wanted a Kindle DX it's now at the still not reasonable price of $259. And that lasts until November 28th or while supplies last.

Benedict

I got my replacement Kindle yesterday and it works just fine. So the Ebay-seller and Amazon has been very understanding to my problem.
I'm a bit annoyed that the Special Offers seem to be IP-based.
Saw an SO I wanted and pressed for more information.
Got a box on the Kindle that said that SO is only available in USA.
Might also be looking at my registered adress on amazon, which is Sweden.

Haven't had time to read much on it yet but downloaded loads of classic books, going from Ancient Greece and Rome to Leo Tolstoy.

Still waiting for my Kindle Ligthed Cover from Amazon.co.uk. There is a situation with all the negative reviews it's getting for the lack of customer support regarding when it's shipping etc. Amazon has really done everything wrong regarding that. A lot of people who ordered it in October and November for christmas presents probably will get it first in January.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does anyone here have a Kindle 3 3G where they don't really use the 3G? I have a regular wifi K3 model.

I'm moving to Germany in a few months and I'd like the 3G capability. PM me with an offer if you want to work something out.

Benedict

Seems like Amazon has done right with the Kindle Lighted Cover anyway, at least giving us a £10 credit on the store:

Dear Customer,

We're sorry for the extended wait time on your order for Kindle Leather Lighted Cover. We are working hard to deliver your order sooner. To apologise for any inconvenience, we would like to offer you a £10.00 Gift Certificate per unit purchased to your account.

This Gift Certificate can be used towards your next purchase on Amazon.co.uk
for any item shipped and sold by Amazon. Details of your Gift Certificate code and how to use it are as follows:

Seems like Amazon has done right with the Kindle Lighted Cover anyway, at least giving us a £10 credit on the store:

Dear Customer,

We're sorry for the extended wait time on your order for Kindle Leather Lighted Cover. We are working hard to deliver your order sooner. To apologise for any inconvenience, we would like to offer you a £10.00 Gift Certificate per unit purchased to your account.

This Gift Certificate can be used towards your next purchase on Amazon.co.uk
for any item shipped and sold by Amazon. Details of your Gift Certificate code and how to use it are as follows:

They should give you that credit anyway for the price that they are asking.

My Kindle touch was supposed to be delivered yesterday, and was hoping to do some reading during this morning, but the post office messed up and didn't deliver it. ;_;

Number45

Is it possible to place markers within a book? By which I mean if I'm reading a book on the Kindle and my daughter wants to read it as well - we can keep track of where each of us are in the book?

Consider this: the kindle charging cable is made out of one of the strangest and worst feeling substance known to man. Seriously, feel that charging cable. It feels terrible.

Is it possible to place markers within a book? By which I mean if I'm reading a book on the Kindle and my daughter wants to read it as well - we can keep track of where each of us are in the book?
You can have multiple bookmarks, but it's not nearly as convenient as having a moving "Dad bookmark" and "Daughter bookmark". You can add a bookmark on any page. You can then go to the menu and choose "View Notes & Marks", where it will show you a list of all the bookmarks, notes, and highlighted sections in their book order.

And you can always add a note that says Dad's bookmark or whatever onto the last word you read, in case you and your daughter are around the same spot.

Shurs

I think something may be wrong with the battery of the Kindle Keyboard I bought less than a week ago.

On Wednesday, after having the device plugged in all morning, I tossed it in my bag at around 8:15am and went to work. After work, I drove to my family's house for Thanksgiving.

When I pulled the Kindle out of my bag to show it to my brother at around 8:00pm the same night the battery indicator was between half and three-quarters full.

That seems like a lot of battery drain for 12 hours of inactivity. Granted, I'm pretty sure I didn't turn wi-fi off, but that still seems like a lot of battery power used with no page turns.

mandiller

I think something may be wrong with the battery of the Kindle Keyboard I bought less than a week ago.

On Wednesday, after having the device plugged in all morning, I tossed it in my bag at around 8:15am and went to work. After work, I drove to my family's house for Thanksgiving.

When I pulled the Kindle out of my bag to show it to my brother at around 8:00pm the same night the battery indicator was between half and three-quarters full.

That seems like a lot of battery drain for 12 hours of inactivity. Granted, I'm pretty sure I didn't turn wi-fi off, but that still seems like a lot of battery power used with no page turns.

My power seems to drain rapidly if I leave 3G/wifi on, even in sleep mode. I just turn it off before putting the kindle to sleep and now the battery life barely moves.

Thank you! I've really missed out on a few of those offers. I do like my custom screensavers though. Is there a way to track the offers and only subscribe for ones you want?

Narag

Not sure if it applies but I ran into an issue with an older model that'd just drain battery if it didn't have a connection. Something about attempting to locate a connection constantly just killed the battery.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not sure if it applies but I ran into an issue with an older model that'd just drain battery if it didn't have a connection. Something about attempting to locate a connection constantly just killed the battery.

Yep. I keep wireless off when I dont read, otherwise if you are indoor in a reception poor area it will sometimes drain fast as it searches and searches.

Shurs

Yep. I keep wireless off when I dont read, otherwise if you are indoor in a reception poor area it will sometimes drain fast as it searches and searches.

That had to have been the issue as the Kindle was in my car for 12 hours that day, probably looking for a 3G signal the whole time. I'll be sure to leave wireless off unless I'm transferring a book to the Kindle.

Question: If I leave wireless off, will new "Special Offers" get pushed to my Kindle, or will it wait until I reconnect to wi-fi to swap out the current deals?

AndyD

aka andydumi
That had to have been the issue as the Kindle was in my car for 12 hours that day, probably looking for a 3G signal the whole time. I'll be sure to leave wireless off unless I'm transferring a book to the Kindle.

Question: If I leave wireless off, will new "Special Offers" get pushed to my Kindle, or will it wait until I reconnect to wi-fi to swap out the current deals?

They will get pushed fine. It seems to connect every night or so automatically for offers.

vazel

Banned
Nice! I never thought I'd want a feature that displays ads to me but I've felt envious at some of the deals I've heard about.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nice! I never thought I'd want a feature that displays ads to me but I've felt envious at some of the deals I've heard about.

Why don't they refund me back $25?

Curufinwe

I really wish you could turn 1-click off in the Kindle Store on the kindle. I'm fiddling with the Kindle Keyboard I'm about to send to my mother for Christmas, and it will be very easy for her to select a book to look at and then accidentally press the middle of the 5-way controller instead of hitting up or down. And that will be enough to purchase the book since the cursor defaults to "Buy".

It's easy enough to cancel and order and get a refund, but I would much prefer if it went to a new page where you had to confirm your order after you selected "Buy".

My Kindle 3 died today. It's just a black screen now and trying to do a hard reset doesn't do anything. The Amazon rep said that I'd probably need to replace it and since it's out of warranty it'd cost $65.

Anything else I could try to do?

If not, I guess I'll get either the nook touch thing or one of the new kindles.

Kosmo

Banned
Anyone know if there is a way to send documents from the Chrome Send to Kindle extension into a defined collection? I would like them all pushed into a collection, but right now they just get added to the Home screen.

plc268

I really wish you could turn 1-click off in the Kindle Store on the kindle. I'm fiddling with the Kindle Keyboard I'm about to send to my mother for Christmas, and it will be very easy for her to select a book to look at and then accidentally press the middle of the 5-way controller instead of hitting up or down. And that will be enough to purchase the book since the cursor defaults to "Buy".

It's easy enough to cancel and order and get a refund, but I would much prefer if it went to a new page where you had to confirm your order after you selected "Buy".

Yea, I've had that happen a few times. It's an annoying quirk that could be easily fixed with an extra "are your sure?"

Just posting my impressions of the Kindle Touch after two days of heavy use. Read almost two books already and the experience was much better than expected. The interface is great although sometimes the interface incorrectly selects things. The contrast is very good and it compares to the best paper books I have, but I wish there was a way to adjust how many pages until a complete refresh of the screen. Before ordering the Touch, I was really worried about fingerprints getting in the way of reading, but you can't see them unless you really try.

What I really like is that there are thousands of free books that you can get for the device, and some are directly linked from Amazon. Can't wait to try the lending feature at the library, which was one of the main selling points for me.

Thank you! I've really missed out on a few of those offers. I do like my custom screensavers though. Is there a way to track the offers and only subscribe for ones you want?
I don't believe so. You can follow the deals at: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2882537 and subscribe when you see one you are interested in.

Just posting my impressions of the Kindle Touch after two days of heavy use. Read almost two books already and the experience was much better than expected. The interface is great although sometimes the interface incorrectly selects things. The contrast is very good and it compares to the best paper books I have, but I wish there was a way to adjust how many pages until a complete refresh of the screen. Before ordering the Touch, I was really worried about fingerprints getting in the way of reading, but you can't see them unless you really try.

What I really like is that there are thousands of free books that you can get for the device, and some are directly linked from Amazon. Can't wait to try the lending feature at the library, which was one of the main selling points for me.
Are you sure there isn't an option to change the refresh page? They updated the non-touch kindle 4 firmware very quickly with that option soon after release.

Manics

Banned
Are you sure there isn't an option to change the refresh page? They updated the non-touch kindle 4 firmware very quickly with that option soon after release.

There's an option to turn the full refresh on or off, but not specify "after X number of pages do a full refresh". I think that's what he's looking for.

Anyone know if there is a way to send documents from the Chrome Send to Kindle extension into a defined collection? I would like them all pushed into a collection, but right now they just get added to the Home screen.
You may want to try Instapaper. It won't download articles into a collection either (that I know of), but it will combine all of your articles each day (or week) and push it to you in a single file. http://www.instapaper.com

There's an option to turn the full refresh on or off, but not specify "after X number of pages do a full refresh". I think that's what he's looking for.

Ah, that sucks.

Top Bottom