• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Did people really expect the Lending Library to be worth all that much? They are pissing off a lot of publishers with it and they still don't have that great of a selection. If they manage to keep it going it will get better over time. Nonetheless it's 12 books a year. It will please enough people.

Aw man, are publishers getting pissed off about it? I haven't been following news about it, but the idea of it becoming a Netflix service for books is extremely exciting for me. If it got to the point where new books showed up on it after a month or two and you could have a couple more books a month (3 would be a really good number I think) I'd definitely pay extra for the service.

Since this seems to be a de-facto e-ink reader thread, does anyone know of a good comparison page describing the pros and cons of the Kindles, nooks, kobos and Sony readers? I tried them all at Best Buy and as far as screen and responsiveness, they all seem fairly similar. I figure that major differences are going to be things like library of titles, interface, user options, etc.

Thinking of getting an e-reader for Christmas. I don't read much but want to read more.

Yeah, they're all very similar for the most part. If I remember right the Sony ones come in different form factors, so if you've seen the Kindle and Nook and think you want something with a slightly smaller or larger screen there's probably a Sony reader you'd like. I don't know much about the Kobos, originally they were like a cheap alternative to Kindle and Nook and when I used one of the older models it felt pretty cheap. The newest one seems pretty nice though, it's around the same price as the Nook and Kindle though so I don't know if there's anything special about it that makes it a better choice than one of those two.

Really I don't think you can go wrong, just buy whichever one feels best in your hand.

Since this seems to be a de-facto e-ink reader thread, does anyone know of a good comparison page describing the pros and cons of the Kindles, nooks, kobos and Sony readers? I tried them all at Best Buy and as far as screen and responsiveness, they all seem fairly similar. I figure that major differences are going to be things like library of titles, interface, user options, etc.

Thinking of getting an e-reader for Christmas. I don't read much but want to read more.

I don't know of one, but I would toss the Kobo and Sony off the list to start. Amazon has a better overall library, more promotions, a more thriving indie scene, and the "Special Offers" are pretty useful.

I don't know of one, but I would toss the Kobo and Sony off the list to start. Amazon has a better overall library, more promotions, a more thriving indie scene, and the "Special Offers" are pretty useful.

The Special Offers should definitely be taken into account if you shop at Amazon with any frequency.

Amazon's library isn't as much as a plus, I've never had to do it myself since I have a Kindle, but from what I understand it's really easy to buy stuff from any ebook store and load it on any ereader with conversion software. Obviously not as easy as just getting the reader for the store you most want to use, but if you really like the hardware of one reader don't feel like getting it locks you into one store indefinitely.

tokkun

This website has some very useful comparisons:
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/best-ebook-reader.html
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/ebook-reader-comparison.html

They have a few direct comparison reviews of popular models, too.

Wow, you can add fonts to the Kobo Touch? One of the very few complaints I've ever had with my Kindle is that there's basically only one font choice (technically there's two but the alternate one looks really jaggy), I always like to pick up books I liked at the library or a book store to see what the font is like.

NIghtWolf

I'm happy with my 5-way gray kindle with ads lol. It's really getting me into reading and make me actually enjoy it like never before. I would like to have brought the touch one some times but I think eventually I would be too lazy to even pass the pages at some point of my readings and that's something that doesn't concerns me much with the 5 way one. I will get a superior one when they are able to replicate the E-Ink experience/feeling with a color screen (and don't say the Kindle Fire does it >>) that with a smooth interface, proper software integration and a good browser, and they got me in. Heck even apple got me if they manage to have a color screen that feels right when you read like my kindle (the gray one), some call it the 4th generation but I don't think they are.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, just bought my first ever Kindle. Are there any particularly good free ebook sites? My public library should keep me happy for a while, but other sources would be nice. Thanks!

I really hope that next year Amazon ditches the Kindle and just makes them all touch with buttons. I'm still really happy with my Keyboard (and I got it autographed by Aesop Rock so while I'll likely still upgrade next year, that made it easier to hold off on this year's models) but I do really like the form factor of the new ones. It just sucks to have to choose between the touch screen or buttons when Nook has them both.

I'm sure they're not hard to get used to and they seem small in comparison with the Keyboard's, but the buttons on the $80 Kindle always seem tiny when I play around with one.

leroidys

Does the Kindle support very many languages? Specifically, if I wanted to read Russian PDFs would it display them properly?

Googling it, I can find that you can hack it, but these answers are from ~2009. If anyone knows for sure it would be really helpful.

DiscoJer

Hey yall, just bought my first ever Kindle. Are there any particularly good free ebook sites? My public library should keep me happy for a while, but other sources would be nice. Thanks!

Public Domain Books: (Note that public domain varies by country. The US lets a lot of older stuff in because copyright had to be renewed until we signed that Berne treaty, and a lot of it simply wasn't)

http://www.manybooks.net/recent_additions.php (mostly guttenberg stuff)

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

http://www.munseys.com/ (pulps/trashy novels)

Baen Books from their cds (which they allow to be shared)

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Freebies on Amazon:

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/

(These change a lot, so check it daily)

Does the Kindle support very many languages? Specifically, if I wanted to read Russian PDFs would it display them properly?

Googling it, I can find that you can hack it, but these answers are from ~2009. If anyone knows for sure it would be really helpful.

Don't get a Kindle to read PDFs, period, even in English. Kindles are basically for reading novels in mobi format, in English. That's all they were designed for, do anything else with them and you'll likely be disappointed.

Manics

Banned
I really hope that next year Amazon ditches the Kindle and just makes them all touch with buttons. I'm still really happy with my Keyboard (and I got it autographed by Aesop Rock so while I'll likely still upgrade next year, that made it easier to hold off on this year's models) but I do really like the form factor of the new ones. It just sucks to have to choose between the touch screen or buttons when Nook has them both.

I'm sure they're not hard to get used to and they seem small in comparison with the Keyboard's, but the buttons on the $80 Kindle always seem tiny when I play around with one.

You got your Kindle autographed?

Zabka

I was in the same boat as you but after using the Touch for a couple weeks I don't miss the buttons at all. The large area to tap for the next page works extremely well.

Scoobert

Stupid question: Do any of the Kindles allow you print? Like if I bought a book, could I hook it up to a printer and just print a page?

Not exactly, and Kindle for PC doesn't look to have a Print option, either. I suppose your options would be
*Using the Kindle's screenshot capability... at least on the keyboard one.
*Hit Print Screen while using a home Kindle program and print that image
*Use one of the format converters like Calibre to get it into another text format you could print from.

You could visit the OP. :p

ZhxLt.png

MobileRead Forums E-Book Uploads
10,000+ postings in Sony Reader, MobiPocket, IMP, and miscellaneous other formats. Many of these are hand checked versions of the highest possible quality. They have been prepared by MobileReader users.

Borrow Kindle Books from Your Local Library (US)
You can check out a Kindle book from your local library and read it on any generation Kindle device or free Kindle reading app.

When you borrow a Kindle public library book, you'll have access to all the unique features of Kindle books, including real page numbers and Whispersync technology that synchronizes your notes, highlights, and last page read. After a public library book expires, if you check it out again or choose to purchase it from the Kindle store, all of your annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

Kindle books are available at more than 11,000 libraries in the U.S.

Book lending (Thanks UltimaKilo)
Kindle lending is a feature launched by Amazon on December 30, 2010. Any Kindle book that has lending enabled can be loaned by one Kindle user to another for 14 days. At the end of the loan period the title is automatically transferred back to the book owners Kindle. Each Kindle book you own can only be loaned once. For more information on lending, go to the Amazon page on Lending Kindle Books.

Free (as in GPL2) translation dictionaries for the Kindle
I’ve had a Kindle for a little while and really like it, but one of the areas it seems to be somewhat lacking in is the availability of translation dictionaries, as such I knocked up a quick script to convert TinyLex dictionaries from the Apertium project into indexed Kindle dictionaries. The most useful of these is probably the German – English dictionaries as these are very complete (over 160,000 entries).

Mobileread wiki free books list
This page lists places where you can find free eBooks. It includes links to sites which allow online reading, and sites which provide downloads. Be sure to check E-book stores that also include some free eBooks. (They should not be listed on this page.) See also: EBook Lending Libraries, which allow you to borrow books for a limited time and Google eBook stores that provide access to lots of free eBooks. See Dictionary for available free dictionaries that may work on your reader. See Project Gutenberg for lots of free eBooks.

This is the link to Amazon's Free Book Collections main page
Free classics and out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books, as well as limited-time free promotional ebooks available for Kindle

FreeKindleBooks.org
Free Kindle Books offers 1000s of Free Classic E-books (below) in Kindle-compatible MOBI and PRC formats. Also for Windows PC, Mobile, PocketPC, Smartphone, Palm, Symbian, Nokia, Sony, Erisson, Blackberry, Franklin, Casio, Psion, Clie, Garmin, ...

Free eBooks by Project Gutenberg
Project Gutenberg is the place where you can download over 33,000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device.

ManyBooks.net - The best eBooks at the best price: FREE!
Browse through the most popular titles, recommendations, or recent reviews from our visitors. Perhaps you'll find something interesting in the special collections. There are more than 29,000 eBooks available here and they're all free!
The Mobileread public domain ebooks are the best I've seen.

Chorazin

Speaking of free books, just finished this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H1TDB0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It was actually pretty great for a free book, it kept my interest and never fell into the typical tropes too deeply. I liked the characters and I'll prolly pick up the sequels after the holidays. It never devolved into a sappy, star-crossed romance like some of these female main character adventure books can fall into. And hey, the price is right!

Ecto311

Looked a few pages back and didn't see anything so:

Can you send mobi files to the kindle and have them sync to the iPhone also? My kindle page shows the option to send but it only shows the ability to send to the 2 actual kindles me and my wife own and not to my iPhone

bengraven

I'm sick of being asked why I would buy a Kindle. "When you can buy an iPad or Fire or Nook tablet".

I try to explain e-ink, but then inevitably: "but you can't play games on a Kindle and it's all in black and white..."

Well, yeah, the things I use my Kindle for are in black and white, too...

Looked a few pages back and didn't see anything so:

Can you send mobi files to the kindle and have them sync to the iPhone also? My kindle page shows the option to send but it only shows the ability to send to the 2 actual kindles me and my wife own and not to my iPhone

Calibre can send files to email I believe.

Ecto311

Calibre can send files to email I believe.

I can send the file to the kindle - But I cant get the file to send to the iphone from amazons manage kindle page

I want to read some on my kindle and leave home being able to be where I was in the same book on my iphone if that makes sense

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can send the file to the kindle - But I cant get the file to send to the iphone from amazons manage kindle page

I want to read some on my kindle and leave home being able to be where I was in the same book on my iphone if that makes sense

You'll have to upload those mobis to the iPhone via iTunes. Go to the Apps setting in your iPhone in iTunes. Kindle should be there.

Chopper

So, how easy is it to give a brand new Kindle as a present, with three books of my choice loaded onto it? The recipient wouldn't necessarily mind me tucking into it first. However, I am a little confused about transactions. If I wanted to buy said books, how would I get them onto the Kindle? Would I need to buy them from the Kindle itself amd then just delete my payment details?

Ecto311

So, how easy is it to give a brand new Kindle as a present, with three books of my choice loaded onto it? The recipient wouldn't necessarily mind me tucking into it first. However, I am a little confused about transactions. If I wanted to buy said books, how would I get them onto the Kindle? Would I need to buy them from the Kindle itself amd then just delete my payment details?

I got one for my dad for Xmas from micro-center and I am just packing in a gift card. I thought about getting some books for him but he knows what he would like better than I do.

I would also give it as a gift and when they get it setup then you can gift them some books - I did this last year for my cousin that's in the navy and gifted him enders game and duma key from my phone while he was setting up his kindle.

You'll have to upload those mobis to the iPhone via iTunes. Go to the Apps setting in your iPhone in iTunes. Kindle should be there.
I did this with the file I am looking to sync but the files are different on the iphone or kindle. On the kindle I am on the 3rd chapter and the iphone app just starts the book off at the beginning - Now is it possible to sync them?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I did this with the file I am looking to sync but the files are different on the iphone or kindle. On the kindle I am on the 3rd chapter and the iphone app just starts the book off at the beginning - Now is it possible to sync them?
Nope :(

Chorazin

I was checking out my Kindle device page on Amazon, and found out I can unsubscribe my Kindle Touch from the special offers by paying $40. They don't bother me, but it's nice to know if they do start to irk me I can get rid of them!

No, you'd have to gift them the books after the device is registered. It's tied to an Amazon account, not just a payment method

plc268

I was checking out my Kindle device page on Amazon, and found out I can unsubscribe my Kindle Touch from the special offers by paying $40. They don't bother me, but it's nice to know if they do start to irk me I can get rid of them!

I don't know why you would to be honest. I have a Kindle without SO, but recently subscribed to them. Personally, I find the ads to be a lot more interesting than having Emily Dickinson staring at me. Yea, I know I could've added my own screensavers, but I don't mind having the occasional opportunity to get $5 free or a book for $1.

I don't know why you would to be honest. I have a Kindle without SO, but recently subscribed to them. Personally, I find the ads to be a lot more interesting than having Emily Dickinson staring at me. Yea, I know I could've added my own screensavers, but I don't mind having the occasional opportunity to get $5 free or a book for $1.

Do you get money for subscribing to them?

BearChair

I bought my wife a gen. 4 Kindle for Christmas. I think she's going to like it a lot, but I plan on playing with it a little myself.

I am wondering if it is possible to read comics or manga on the e-ink screen? Does it look okay? Is it possible to buy and download them to a Kindle?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I bought my wife a gen. 4 Kindle for Christmas. I think she's going to like it a lot, but I plan on playing with it a little myself.

I am wondering if it is possible to read comics or manga on the e-ink screen? Does it look okay? Is it possible to buy and download them to a Kindle?

Its possible but for comics get a color device. An Ipad, a Fire or whatever else.

plc268

Huh. I only ever saw ads for phone plans or whatever. I wouldn't mind them so much if it was ever something I might actually want.

A couple of weeks ago they had $5 off $10. Occasionally they have a selection of 100 books and you can buy one for $1. You might have to cycle your screensaver a couple of times to see some of these deals though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
A couple of weeks ago they had $5 off $10. Occasionally they have a selection of 100 books and you can buy one for $1. You might have to cycle your screensaver a couple of times to see some of these deals though.

Yep. They update the deals every 3-4 days but after black friday they sort of slowed down considerably, i imagine until Xmas passes.

There is a huge thread on slickdeals for codes and code trading. They have had a 20% off any laptop and those sold for upwards of $50 as people wanted to get new apple laptops during back to school and they could save hundreds with a code.

They have a $1 book out of a selection of 100 every month or so. Different genres every time.

They have had toy discounts, dvd/bluray discounts, kindle cover discounts, half off the official cases which are 40 or 60, so save 20 or 30 depending on what you get.

The special offers have so far paid off my kindle and my wife's in sold codes and savings on stuff I would have bought anyways. I imagine a $99 Special Offers Fire would do wonders, but I read there are ads on those already.

Barrett2

My wife informed me she accidentally stepped on her Kindle last night and cracked the screen. Apparently it fell off her nightstand and she smashed it.

She has had it less than one year. What should I expect in terms of warranty? Anyone have experience with this?

Manics

Banned
My wife informed me she accidentally stepped on her Kindle last night and cracked the screen. Apparently it fell off her nightstand and she smashed it.

She has had it less than one year. What should I expect in terms of warranty? Anyone have experience with this?

Technically though it's under warranty you killed it yourself so that sort of damage isn't covered. My experience with Amazon though, if you call them and tell them exactly what happened and how sad you are, they'll most likely replace it for free. My daughter busted my original Kindle keyboard and cover and they replaced it. As long as you don't abuse the system and try this too often, Amazon takes good care of you.

Chorazin

Maybe if I ever got those ads it'd be great, all I get are credit card and AT&T ads. :(

I am getting a kindle for my cousin in Pakistan. should I get the kindle touch or basic one for him? he will put a lot of pdf files on it

Barrett2

Amazon is awesome. 5 minute phone call is all it took to convince them to send me a new Kindle to replace the one my wife stepped on in heels and broke. One day shipping, no less!

I checked those this morning, I had three: credit cards, AT&T, and some sub place in a city two hours from me. Wooo these savings!

I think I only had the AT&T offer yesterday. They rotate fairly frequently. I've only had my Kindle for two weeks and there was an offer pick 1 of 100 listed books for $1. Picked up Brown's Requiem by James Ellroy.

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone have impressions of the Kindle Touch with special offers?

Do the offers come up in the middle of page turns or something or is it worth it to shell out an extra $40 to avoid them?

Bboy AJ

Anyone have impressions of the Kindle Touch with special offers?

Do the offers come up in the middle of page turns or something or is it worth it to shell out an extra $40 to avoid them?

Ads only show up when you have the Kindle "off" (screen saver) or on the book selection page.

Top Bottom