• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon PC DD Black Friday week deals *Updating with BF deals

Gibbon

Neo Member
I've heard VPNs have stopped working on stream.

I activated Dead Island US on my EU Steam account with a VPN. But it had some side effects... For example I'm no longer able to buy it in order to gift it, gives me an error when checking out.
The acquisition of the game isn't even listed on the Community page, my friends don't know I have the game.

Now I hope I'll be able to play with them...

Ledsen

Decent game, kinda shallow first person melee brawler where it feels like you go through stages rather than everything flowing together. Art is nice and the story is weird as shit. I wouldn't pay much more than $1.

As a counterpoint to this, I'll say that I loved Zeno Clash. I'd say even at $10 it'd be worth it. The art isn't merely "nice" IMO, it's stellar. Reminds me of a particular brand of European comics. So stylish and otherwordly, fascinating and terrifying at the same time. Simply brilliant. Just look at this shit:

1497644-zc2.jpg

40521_orig.jpg
The first person brawling is probably the best I've seen (not that there are many competitors there) and the absurd story really adds to the mystique and appeal of the game. I'd recommend it to everyone who appreciates games that do something different and do it well. It's also pretty short (4-5 hours) and thus perfect if you don't have a lot of time. I haven't played the team's latest game, Rock of Ages, but it looks equally great even if it's a completely different type of game.

Shaneus

QWERTYUIOP[][POIUIOPOI7UY6T5YUY6TGT';HLK,L.;'JKIIKIIP[']\
][POLHFGYTGDRFREFRFDVDDTGSREWAWERREWQ
You know it's, like, a month until Christmas sales, right?

I'm sure there's nothing I bought this sales period that I would've actually played by then (but would've saved even more on).

Calantus

how is xcom on the PS3?, i played a little of it on PC and i had a blast. Is it worth 35 bucks, does the movement system work good with the controller and are there a lot of bugs ?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK! XCOM is really tempting, but the backlog is huge.

My backlog is huge... but I made an exception for XCom. That's it though. I'm done for 2012 - no more games - and no new games for a while in 2013. I have TONS to play.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Steam Winter Sale would like to have a word with you.

But I bought SOOOOO many games in Summer to prevent the Winter Sale's icy clutches! Oh god! It's going to happen... :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I bought XCOM last Friday, and I can already say it's my favorite game of the year. By far.

It's absolutely fantastic. Accessible for strategy nubs like myself, but challenging and so, so rewarding. Combat can be soul crushing at times, especially when you lose one of your favorite troops, but every victory large or small is a triumph. It's also pretty freaking content packed and deep, basically two games in one between the base building simulation stuff and the actual combat encounters. If it wasn't for dumb stuff like work and sleep I honestly could do nothing but play this game all day every day. I'm in love, dammit. <3.

kswiston

I really want XCom, but it's presence here for $25 probably means it will be that price or cheaper during the January editor's choice sale. I have an assload of $5 credits waiting for that sale, so I can wait another six weeks for $20 XCOM. The freshly translated Fire Emblem 12 will hold me over in that time.

Almost jumped on the Lego pack and Kingdoms of Amalur, but again, backlog.

I think Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 is better than X-com, I played the demo for X-come and didn't like it as much as VC and I not even into JRPGs anymore. I should beat VC first.

jediyoshi

I think Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 is better than X-com, I played the demo for X-come and didn't like it as much as VC and I not even into JRPGs anymore. I should beat VC first.

Is the base metagame of XCOM even in the demo? It's where a good chunk of the gameplay is at as well. All I remember from it was an awkward bit from the early combat.

eznark

Banned

The demo only shows the basic mechanics. It's like 10% of the game. I loved the first Valkyria Chronicles but it isn't in the same league as far as strategy games go. It's definitely better from a narrative side though.

You should really beat VC, it one of the most underrated games on ps3, next to folklore. AS for the new X- com game ill buy it eventually.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The demo only shows the basic mechanics. It's like 10% of the game. I loved the first Valkyria Chronicles but it isn't in the same league as far as strategy games go. It's definitely better from a narrative side though.

I'm also a big fan of Valkyria Chronicles, but aside from the neat art style and the charming characters, XCOM is the better game. Or at least the better strategy game. It has more depth in pretty much every aspect (combat mechanics, customization, trooper/base development stuff, etc) and it offers far more replayability than VC. With VC I was one and done but I can see myself playing XCOM several times over without getting tired of it thanks to the multiple difficulties, the variability in base building, the unpredictable nature of events, and so on. Neither should be skipped, though, I'm not a big strategy guy but I've enjoyed the hell out of both games.

Lain

Should have read Xelios' post with more care, as I got burned on Inversion. It's region locked.

Since Steam "canceled the purchase" when I tried to activate the key, does it means the key is still good to use? Cause I could at least try to trade it with someone.

Anyone knows?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Anyone have a Naval War: Arctic Circle key they want to sell from Paradox Seas bundle? PM me. Can do Paypal or a cheapish game on Steam.

Top Bottom