• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms Z2 Extreme chip, aims to boost PC gaming handheld battery life by over 300%

Draugoth

Gold Member
pa3xZh2VXt7VfgS8qAwW6V-970-80.jpg.webp

• This week in Berlin was IFA 2024, showcasing a wide range of new consumer technology products.
  • At the show, AMD confirmed the successor to its Z1 Extreme chip, which is powering devices like the Lenovo Legion Go and ASUS ROG Ally, revolutionizing PC gaming handhelds.
  • The Z2 Extreme will be based on Strix Point, with AMD's Senior Vice President Jack Huynh reportedly suggesting it will boost high-end performance mode battery life from 45 minutes to 3 hours.
Source

Cyberpunkd

After playing PS5 for a total of 30 hours last year this is what me and my wife did since getting a Steamdeck end of February 2024:

65 hours of Fallout 4
100 hours of Skyrim
50 hours of Witcher 1
30 hours of Witcher 2
20 hours of Diablo 4 and counting

2 week average on Steam is around 70 hours right now.

Nikodemos

Ten years ago, anybody telling me an AMD processor would, one day, be powering handhelds, would be met with a polite chuckle from my part.
Yet here we are, and we're looking at the next gen of such designs.

Bry0

Probably a variant of kraken point? I mean isn’t that technically a cut down strix?

It was also roadmapped to be the actual hawk point successor.

Last edited:

Akuji

that means lower power draw, lower power draw means less waste heat, less waste heat means less cooling is needed, less cooling needed means it doesnt need to be as heavy and you can design it more ergonomic.

oh boi.

Hudo

I so wish other manufacturers, Intel and fucking Nvidia in particular, would also consider power consumption...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Z1 efficiency is crap compared to the Steam Deck's custom chip at lower wattages. How the hell could the same company have produced both chips?
Different approaches means differing performance

Rog Ally is about that 20-30w tdp, max performance fuck the battery life

Steam deck dominates 5-15 watts, long lasting but it won't always perform well

I just want to see the ramifications this has for deck. If I can run the chip at 10 watts and get 8-9 hours out of it while running cool and quiet I'd be a happy man.

What these devices need more than a size reduction is an efficiency jump. Please do not be lying to us AMD we know you can do it

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
New Intel Lunar Lake APU is supposed to be more powerful vs just released AMD one and consume less power.

No idea how true that is since we need some proper reviews first.
Yeah, I just saw this morning a few Twitter threads about the new intel lunar lake APUs and they look very promising. Apparently they're built on TSMC 3nm so they're very power efficient. I'm actually excited for PC handhelds with Lunar Lake APUs when they eventually get released.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I so wish other manufacturers, Intel and fucking Nvidia in particular, would also consider power consumption...
Ai requires more power asking them to ditch the top end and massive investment monies to chance small console sales would be ludicrous!

AMD will start to face challenges from Apple and Samsung however in this space as well as some overseas up and comers. Intel should probably compete for it as well because they have been so bad latterly with their chips price / performance / power efficiency they need a newer design

cebri.one

Nah. If the past 4 years have proven anything, Moores law is still alive for mobile chipsets.
Getting 280 or 260% would still be massive
No, with Z5 and RDNA3.5 you'll get 20-30% better performance in games at the same power levels, mainly thanks to the improvement in the GPU + process. If they are going from 45 minutes to 3 hours:
A. They are lying
B. Their previous battery was stupidly small
C. They are lying

Top Bottom