• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Fluid Motion Frames 2 - It just got a lot better

winjer

Gold Member

AI-Optimized Enhancements

We know many of you have asked for more control over how AFMF works with your games, so with AMD Fluid Motion Frames 2 we’ve introduced two new modes where the optimal settings are automatically enabled but advanced users can adjust them to their preferences.

The first is “Search Mode” which controls frame generation smoothness by improving how “fallback” works in AFMF 2. Fallback refers to when AFMF frame generation is temporarily disabled in high-motion scenes to ensure the best interpolated image quality, which can sometimes cause jitter that impacts the smoothness of the gaming experience.

AFMF 2 Search Mode screenshot.jpg

In AFMF 2, we have made considerable improvements in frame generation by using AI-optimization to help develop an updated algorithm. At 1440p and greater, the Search Mode “Auto” setting automatically selects “High” mode, which reduces fallback for improved AFMF smoothness. The “Standard” setting is used for 1080p, which is the optimal setting for this resolution. We have also improved the overall image quality in AFMF 2 for a better gaming experience in any Search Mode setting when compared to AFMF 1.

Performance Improvements

The second adjustable mode available in the AMD Fluid Motion Frames 2 update is “Performance Mode”. When using supported discrete desktop and mobile graphics cards the default “Auto” setting for this mode is “Quality,” the same setting as used in AFMF 1.

AFMF 2 Performance Mode screenshot.jpg

Lower Latency Frame Generation
We've also made some notable improvements in reducing the latency added by frame generation with this latest version of AFMF. These improvements apply across the board when using AFMF 2, no matter the settings mode, resolution, or hardware used. This makes the experience when using AMD HYPR-RX with AFMF 2 feel even smoother, not just look smoother. Check out the improvements in latency in Cyberpunk 2077®, where AFMF 2 combined with our in-driver AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag technology delivers on average 28 percent lower latency at 4K using the “Ray Tracing: Ultra” graphics preset when compared to AFMF 1.3

large

Preview drivers with AFMF

New Feature Highlights
AFMF 2 Technical Preview – A major advancement in frame generation technology for AMD HYPR-RX
Lower Latency and Higher Performance
AFMF 2 enhances fast-paced gaming by significantly reducing frame-generation latency and performance scaling through new modes.
Fast Motion Optimization
Enjoy smoother gameplay and higher FPS with improved frame generation consistency during fast motion.
Improved Borderless-Fullscreen Support
Expanded display mode support for RDNA 3 series graphics products ensures compatibility with virtually all borderless-fullscreen games.
Expanded API Support
Enable AFMF 2 for any OpenGLNEW, VulkanNEW, DirectX® 11, and 12 titles.
Radeon™ Chill Interop Support
AFMF 2 now supports Radeon™ Chill, providing a low latency FPS capping option.

blank.png
Radeon Product Compatibility​

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Preview Driver AFMF 2 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products.

Radeon™ RX 7900/7800/7700/7600 Series Graphics
Radeon™ RX 6900/6800/6700/6600/6500/6400 Series Graphics

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Make native great again.

Stupid trickery and magic fucking up the quality!

With that said, I'm glad there is something for those who have aging hardware, but I hate that this bullshit has become a crutch.
Framegen should never be seen as a benchmark.

However, it works great at making 150 fps looking like say 240 fps.

It really can help smooth out the motion and honestly AI generated frames may very well be the only way we overcome the limitations of LCD sample and hold.

MH3M3D

The handful of AMD GPU owners will be mindblown Im sure. Ive been playing with Fluid Motion to fix Dragons Dogma 2, but it aint workin'. The game is just broken at every setting.

FireFly

Make native great again.

Stupid trickery and magic fucking up the quality!

With that said, I'm glad there is something for those who have aging hardware, but I hate that this bullshit has become a crutch.
You would need SSAA for a true "ground truth" image, which would require rendering at 8K or more for a 4K output. Modern games ship with TAA which trades off detail for anti-aliasing, even at the "native" resolution.

DaGwaphics

Nice to see the 6000s still getting support here, might be useful as these cards age out. Will be interesting to compare the tangible results with the last version.

Why 60, if were going back to CRT? Back then 75Hz was the norm, often higher. 60Hz was considered quite crappy, especially for desktop use.
Because virtually every console game from the NES to the Xbox One was a 60hz system and 60hz on a CRT has lower persistence than 75hz and above.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It just got a lot better at being the worst.
Compared to DLSS 3 which is only supported by the RTX 4000 series for certain games you mean? RSR is a huge win on my ROG Ally handheld, and I would probably use it for games without FSR support on my desktop as well. Improvements are welcome.

Yay fake resolutions and fake frames. 👎
The fake resolutions don't bother me much. If you're gaming at anything other than the native resolution of your monitor, you'll always be getting a fake resolution. The fake frames, though, are really weird. Like, the benefit of more frames has always been two-fold. The game looks smoother, yes, but it's also that much more responsive. With fake frames, you only get one of those things and it's at the expense of the other. I don't get the appeal. Also, people are saying that you need a base of 60fps for it to work properly. LOL, at that point, do you even really need those fake frames? I think some of you might be missing the forest for the trees.

Reminds me of why I never took to PC gaming. The endless need to optimize performance was very distracting. With consoles, you get a few tweaks, but it is what it is.

Top Bottom