• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD presents Zen 5

7800x3d is still a beast of a cpu what kinda games are you playing or why are you looking for a upgrade already? Just because it’s faster doesn’t mean it’s going to actually improve your games if your current rig isn’t being bottlenecked? . For the cost I’d invest that in faster Ram / SSD or GPU upgrades honestly!
I havent said I want to upgrade my 7800X3D now, but it is only a matter of time when this CPU will become too slow (a few years from now). Being able to buy a much better CPU (maybe 12C24T) on the same AM5 platform represents a much cheaper upgrade option than purchasing a new motherboard and RAM.

winjer

Gold Member

If we compare the launch prices of the Ryzen 7000 and later 7000X3D series to the official retail prices announced for the Ryzen 9000 series in Europe (using the German MSRP for simplicity), the Ryzen 9000 series would no doubt cost less across the whole stack. In fact, at €660, the 9950X would be even cheaper than the 7900X or 7900X3D at launch. However, since that debut, both SKUs are now much cheaper, with the flagship 7950X3D currently retailing at €519. This means the 9950X would cost €90 more than the current price of the 7950X3D.

Slovenia has a VAT of 22%, already included in these prices.
So if we take out VAT and convert to US dollars, for example, the base price for the 9600X should be around $260. The 7600X released at $299.

Still, consider this is not official information. There might be pricing errors. Or adjustments until launch.

azCBOU3.jpeg

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I havent said I want to upgrade my 7800X3D now, but it is only a matter of time when this CPU will become too slow (a few years from now). Being able to buy a much better CPU (maybe 12C24T) on the same AM5 platform represents a much cheaper upgrade option than purchasing a new motherboard and RAM.
For sure just wait it out for a price drop. You got a few years easily left in that cpu

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Awesome blog, very well researched :).

Looks like they are setting some interesting new foundations and it kind of explains how they did improve performance while also attacking power consumption well.

We could see interesting tweaks in Zen 5+ or Zen 6 as they build on Zen 5 and with time and more experimentation walk back some of the more conservative choices they made in Zen 5 (they say that several items actually slightly regressed, e.g.: NOOP fusion, as the wider core benefited a bit less from it and they did not have the time to solve this pain point without having complexity issues making the overall design worse… but that they intend to revisit and re-enable that functionality / revert some choices once they had time to figure out proper solutions).

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Awesome blog, very well researched :).

Looks like they are setting some interesting new foundations and it kind of explains how they did improve performance while also attacking power consumption well.

We could see interesting tweaks in Zen 5+ or Zen 6 as they build on Zen 5 and with time and more experimentation walk but some of the more conservative choices they made in Zen 5 (they say that several items actually slightly regressed, e.g.: NOOP fusion, as the wider core benefited a bit less from it and they did not have the time to solve this pain point without having complexity issues making the overall design worse… but that they intend to revisit and re-enable that functionality / revert some choices).

There are rumours that, because AMD put so much emphasis on power efficiency, that PBO will bring much greater improvements than in previous Zen CPUs.
If true, it could mean that overlocking is back in the menu.

Okay not an expert so maybe someone can tell me. When will we actually need more than 8 cores for videogames?

The ryzen x600s have 6 cores and are usually the best bang for your buck cpus out there. I understand people with 4080 and 4090s opting for the 7800x3d but most people with lower tier cards are just better off saving 150 buck, going with the x600, and putting 150 dollars more into their gpu.

Top Bottom