• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen 9000 “Zen 5” Desktop CPU Prices Leaked: 9950X $499, 9900X $399, 9700X $299, 9600X $229

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Bidding Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
did I missed something? it seems Ryzen is kicking Intel ass (at least in their marketing and mind share on YouTube)

Kicking their asses might be a bit of a stretch.

9hCNFuN.png

Ryzen is just good value at the upper/mid end.
Lower end and past generations Intel were killing it.

7th gen, 8th gen, 10th gen, 12th gen were all stellar products up and down the stack.

Yes I remember the 9900K being a darling CPU..........but everything else in that gen wasnt great.

P.S I think waht the poster is referring to is that gamers might wait for the X3D chips.......thats not really the case because the midrange rules the roost, GAF can conflate whats "popular" few people are actually buy x80/90 class cards or 400+ dollar CPUs, hell I consider myself a pretty deep gamer and PC builder, but im still dancing with my i5-12400.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
$400 for 9900Х? This can't be real right? And 9800X3D will be how much then, $450? Intel is in deep shit if true.

Last edited:

Puscifer

229 launch price of the 9600X...........300 for the 9700X?
Intel have got to be reevaluating their launch prices for ArrowLake.

Cuz if they are thinking of using the same prices as last gen.

Guv5uZx.gif

Bro a 9600X for 229 and a 9700X for 299 is a frikken steal.
AM5 is now a mature platform so motherboards arent too expensive.
You need to remember the 7600X was 299 and the 7700X was 399........this is like a 100 price cut gen on gen.....the 9600 non-X is gonna sub 200 dollars.
And the upper echelon(that we shouldnt care about as gamers) have even bigger price cuts.

Intel is busy dealing with RaptorLake issues which is already a headache........if these prices get announced this is gonna be Intel.

pvfg5us.gif
If the efficiency changes are true I'm likely going to do an upgrade because D A M N my itx build will love the lesser heat.

Black_Stride

$400 for 9900Х? This can't be real right? And 9800X3D will be how much then, $450? Intel is in deep shit if true.

It does seem too good to be true.
And if these prices are correct then the 9800X3D would likely actually be 400 dollars flat........Intel are gonna have to price match the K chips unless they have a serious advantage.
Cuz I dont think the u7-265K is gonna be able to catch the r7-9800X3D for the same money.....especially when you factor in everyone buying ArrowLake is also gonna need to buy a motherboard.

Rg41VVH.png

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It does seem too good to be true.
Yeah, I smell something fishy here:messenger_expressionless:

But if AMD ever wanted to undercut intel, sell better products with much better prices and be way more competitive, they better start now. And then... maybe their GPU department will follow.

I own both 5800X3D and the 7800X3D, personally I doubt 'regular' chips can beat the 3D Variants for certain games. After all benchmarks are all good and nice but at the end of the day it really depends on the type of games that you are playing.

For me being World of Warcraft my main game, the X3D chips are just absolutely insane at keeping the frame time low compared to 'regular' lineup

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
At these prices why would you risk the upcoming 15th gen with Intel's terrible approach to the current stability issues with 13th/14th gen? If you need a little more performance just wait for X3D.

Celcius

°Temp. member
They are almost certainly going to announce them at CES 2025.
Theres no major conferences happening other than GTC H2 which is for Nvidia to hopefully announce Blackwell.
Which means youll probably only see them in stores in February 2025.

CES-Featured.png
Blackwell is most likely CES 2025 as well:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

At these prices why would you risk the upcoming 15th gen with Intel's terrible approach to the current stability issues with 13th/14th gen? If you need a little more performance just wait for X3D.

Theres no 15th gen Core i.
Intel have already moved to Core U.
So its highly highly unlikely the 2nd Gen Core U is gonna suffer from the issues the Core i suffered from.

1st Gen Core U already came out and doesnt suffer the issues the Core i suffered.
MeteorLake was 1st Gen, LunarLake and ArrowLake are second gen, LunarLake is only mobile ArrowLake is the one we are getting in desktops.

ArrowLake has to atleast match 9000X3D on average, yes there will be games that absolutely eat up V-Cache but on average they should should be close.

September cant come soon enough so we can see where Intel is at in this race.
And I really want to upgrade my PC.........

L

Blackwell is most likely CES 2025 as well:

Yeah thats what ive been hearing as well, but Nvidia havent announced what GTC H2 is yet, they might surprise us and announce them at GTC then actually show us what they can do at CES.

But considering we havent seen any real leaks other than chip configs they might be further out than usual.
Which means GTC H2 is gonna be boring as shit cuz itll likely be AI bullshit only.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Theres no major conferences happening other than GTC H2 which is for Nvidia to hopefully announce Blackwell.

CES-Featured.png

Leaks have persisted that AMD is planning a faster cadence for their X3D chips this time around because there is a lack of demand for their non-X3D options. The anticipated release window is September, as that's when the new X870 motherboards are dropping.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Leaks have persisted that AMD is planning a faster cadence for their X3D chips this time around because there is a lack of demand for their non-X3D options. The anticipated release window is September, as that's when the new X870 motherboards are dropping.

One source?
Also the announcement and launch would coincide with Innovation 2024...........

innovation2024-marquee-banner-16x9-with-dates.png.rendition.intel.web.864.486.png

They would be struggling to stay in the tech news cycle against Innovation 2024.

I mean they could do it to literally steal the thunder from ArrowLake, but it would make more sense to wait for ArrowLake then announce X3Ds........if ArrowLake can match the X3Ds at lower price thats easy pickings for Intel, they are gonna alter those spreadsheets and prices post haste.
CES is the perfect time to announce the new CPUs, Intels ArrowLake will already be out, and if the X3D is faster they can do a direct comparison with "the competitions best"......comparing the X3Ds to the 14900K would be punching down at this point.

So releasing in September?

meryl-streep-doubt.gif

Klik

Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade from I5 12400F to Ryzen 9800x3d when its released(even if 9800x3d is "only" 10% faster than 7800x3d)? I also plan to get RTX 5080..

also play simracing on Quest 3 VR

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
One source?
Also the announcement and launch would coincide with Innovation 2024...........

innovation2024-marquee-banner-16x9-with-dates.png.rendition.intel.web.864.486.png

They would be struggling to stay in the tech news cycle against Innovation 2024.

I mean they could do it to literally steal the thunder from ArrowLake, but it would make more sense to wait for ArrowLake then announce X3Ds........if ArrowLake can match the X3Ds at lower price thats easy pickings for Intel, they are gonna alter those spreadsheets and prices post haste.
CES is the perfect time to announce the new CPUs, Intels ArrowLake will already be out, and if the X3D is faster they can do a direct comparison with "the competitions best"......comparing the X3Ds to the 14900K would be punching down at this point.

So releasing in September?

meryl-streep-doubt.gif

I guess we'll see! No one knows at this point.

Black_Stride

Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade from I5 12400F to Ryzen 9800x3d when its released(even if 9800x3d is "only" 10% faster than 7800x3d)? I also plan to get RTX 5080..

also play simracing on Quest 3 VR

Im on a 12400 right now.
Just waiting for Innovation 2024 to see what ArrowLake can do before deciding whether to go AMD or stick with Intel.
What games are you playing, if they take advantage of Hyperthreading and V-Cache then the X3D is an easy yes.
If they are more single threaded and dont care for V-Cache you could probably save a few bucks and get a 136K or a 245K

I guess we'll see! No one knows at this point.

Indeed.

Bring on September!

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah, I know, but also and vastly better AMD prices could be the last nail in inte's coffin.
I don't think so. Most consumers would be ignorant (I mean, most still use Chrome, which business model is tracking you!) and would continue to buy Intel, even if they would crash every few days and only last for 3 years before dying.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know AMD is rumored to allow overclocking for their X3D chips next but I still wish they'd make a sku that had dual 8-core CCX's with X3D cache on both CCX's, regardless of the price...

Black_Stride

As of 2024, AMD as a brand is actually more recognizable than Intel: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-brand-recognition-report-2024/

The tides are changing

From your own report:

m5S3XUW.png

Intel have all but given up on HPC (I legit dont even know what the current Xeon chips are called), so AMD is really the only choice there.
And AMD had a big push in brand recognition from Laptops/Mobile with Ryzen APUs......Intels iGPUs havent been worth shit for a while, maybe LunarLake changes that.

But in the consumer space Intel is still king, and as long as ArrowLake isnt a huge step backwards then you can expect Intel to hold above 60% market share for a while.

Black_Stride

I know AMD is rumored to allow overclocking for their X3D chips next but I still wish they'd make a sku that had dual 8-core CCX's with X3D cache on both CCX's, regardless of the price...

They tested them.....actually produced protoypes and showed them off on GamersNexus.

If a program(game) used both CCDs the latency of the infinity fabric nullified 3DV-cache which is why they only ship V-cache on one CCD, games generally will stick to the V-Cache CCD to actually take advantage of it, once it has to cross the infinity fabric you might as well NOT have the V-Cache at all, if both CCDs have V-Cache the OS will likely pick the best cores off both CCDs to run the game....leading to that dreaded latency........if the CPU auto locks to one CCD, then whats the point of the other 3DV-Cache?

KzXTbpYyYcFaWfJGTArENS-970-80.png.webp

You could always get an EPYC (you said cost is no concern) and have V-Cache on all CCDs

43KLddWY5YvrpJpusqALjn.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

CES-Featured.png
It will come well before that. They will announce them to steal thunder from Arrow Lake.

Black_Stride

It will come well before that. They will announce them to steal thunder from Arrow Lake.

ArrowLake is September.....probably releasing October/November.
9000X releases in August.
So you think they will announce 9000X3D while reviews for 9000X are happening?

jngllfytl0t61.jpg

4D chess AMD, announce and release a product only to announce and release a much better product while peoples orders are being fulfilled.
Get fucked early adopters!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

jngllfytl0t61.jpg

4D chess AMD, announce and release a product only to announce and release a much better product while peoples orders are being fulfilled.

9000X releases July 31st, and the X3D chips are rumored for the end of September.

It’s not like it’s a 2 week gap or something.

Black_Stride

9000X releases July 31st, and the X3D chips are rumored for the end of September.

It’s not like it’s a 2 week gap or something.

Availability July 31st.
Means orders are realistically gonna be fulfilled in August.
If they then announce the 9000X3D a month later(September).......its exactly as I said in my prior post.

And I really dont think AMD wants to be taking on a conference like Innovation 2025, they got power but not the power to have a single product line take on a whole conference.

If anything I could see maybe October/November and pray Innovation and GTC dont drown out the news cycle.........or be smart and just do it at CES.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I don't know what to do with this X3D timing. I've been running a 5950x for like 3 years now (upgraded from 3950x). I think it was just before the X3D was a thing. It's been on and off unstable the whole time, needing extra voltage to SoC to work with my RAM, and also needing positive offset on the curve optimizer in the PBO settings. After a brief power outage, the stable settings were no longer stable once again and I had to start from scratch, eventually just pulling one of the DIMMs to where it's running 1x16GB now.

The RAM started as 4x16GB on the 3950x, to 2x16GB on the 5950x for stability. Also tried some ECC RAM I could borrow from a server, those never failed a mem test but getting it to boot and not crash was still an adventure.

Anyway, I'm sick of the issues. Out of town at the moment, but when I get back, here are my options:

1. Grab a 5800X3D, and maybe some new DIMMs. But this leaves my motherboard in place, which may be the ultimate problem. Though as I understand it the memory controller is solely on the CPU, and the 3950X ran pretty okay on this same mobo. But I also tried another 5950x at some point as I did a little RMA work and well, I think I tried 3 CPUs, and ended up keeping the mid one as I misread some return policies and well I had to keep that one.
  2. Grab AM5 platform
    1. Just grab a 7800X3D, consider upgrading to 9000 series X3D down the line.
    2. Wait on initial 9000 series CPU and consider upgrading to X3D down the line.
Leaning towards 2.1, I think I need to get rid of my whole cursed AM4 platform at this point. Wouldn't feel confident even if it was initially stable without swapping out the Mobo (MSI Meg Unify X570) as well, at which point why not just upgrade the whole shebang?

Currently have a 4090 GPU, and my most common gaming is first-person shooters at 1440p, preferring to push high frames.

Black_Stride

I don't know what to do with this X3D timing. I've been running a 5950x for like 3 years now (upgraded from 3950x). I think it was just before the X3D was a thing. It's been on and off unstable the whole time, needing extra voltage to SoC to work with my RAM, and also needing positive offset on the curve optimizer in the PBO settings. After a brief power outage, the stable settings were no longer stable once again and I had to start from scratch, eventually just pulling one of the DIMMs to where it's running 1x16GB now.

The RAM started as 4x16GB on the 3950x, to 2x16GB on the 5950x for stability. Also tried some ECC RAM I could borrow from a server, those never failed a mem test but getting it to boot and not crash was still an adventure.

Anyway, I'm sick of the issues. Out of town at the moment, but when I get back, here are my options:

1. Grab a 5800X3D, and maybe some new DIMMs. But this leaves my motherboard in place, which may be the ultimate problem. Though as I understand it the memory controller is solely on the CPU, and the 3950X ran pretty okay on this same mobo. But I also tried another 5950x at some point as I did a little RMA work and well, I think I tried 3 CPUs, and ended up keeping the mid one as I misread some return policies and well I had to keep that one.
  2. Grab AM5 platform
Leaning towards 2.1, I think I need to get rid of my whole cursed AM4 platform at this point. Wouldn't feel confident even if it was initially stable without swapping out the Mobo (MSI Meg Unify X570) as well, at which point why not just upgrade the whole shebang?

Currently have a 4090 GPU, and my most common gaming is first-person shooters at 1440p, preferring to push high frames.

Whats your refresh rate?
Playing at 1440p with a 4090 im pretty sure you are CPU bound cuz CSGO and Valorant arent all that taxing on the GPU.

Get a 7800X3D and wait for the X3Ds after the 9800X3D.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)

2. Grab AM5 platform

Yikes, sounds like a disaster. I would have RMA'd stuff if I ever had an issue with my components...

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Whats your refresh rate?
Playing at 1440p with a 4090 im pretty sure you are CPU bound cuz CSGO and Valorant arent all that taxing on the GPU.

Get a 7800X3D and wait for the X3Ds after the 9800X3D.
270hz but don't notice a difference beyond 180 or so. Well, really it's the 1% lows that get ya. R6 Siege is already golden on a 5950x. Destiny 2 PVE is probably my biggest frame rate frustration and that's more about those 1% lows. That's such a spaghetti code mess though I'm not expecting miracles from any CPU. Would like good performance in BRs as well but haven't touched any in a while. PUBG is pretty dead in North America. Stopped playing Warzone when I ate a COD:BOCW ban which coincidentally may have been triggered by 5950x crashes while I was testing and swapping out CPUs, and hopping into FFA lobbies to test stability.

Yeah, leaning towards 7800X3D, seems like the best solution for today. Just got to do some research on DDR5. At first glance it seems like compatibility is better/easier than DDR4? Upgrading my laptop with a mismatched 32GB SODIMM (alongside 8GB soldered RAM) was certainly seamless, anyway.

Yikes, sounds like a disaster. I would have RMA'd stuff if I ever had an issue with my components...
Well, like I said, I had a bit of an RMA circus, got it stable, which lasted quite a while. Post RMA windows things got worse. It was just after 5950x released, so there was also an element of rapid BIOS updates. It was stable running games actually for the most part. Issues have been the initial boot at times, and low idle freezes as I tend to leave it running 24x7 to keep all my remote work logins running (so not sleep mode). But whatever, time to move on, and I will aggressively RMA my new equipment if it shows the least amount of stability at both stock and advertised speeds.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Black_Stride

TmpNzco.png

I swear the 12400 was meant as a stopgap CPU, but the little fucker just keeps on trucking along and I havent felt the need to upgrade.
Ill either get a 136K or 245K come November......I will make up for this dishonor.

scydrex

We'll see about that. AMD themselves says only 12% better than 5800X3D, which would make 9700X a bit slower than 7800X3D.

It will be faster in productivity, but likely a bit slower in gaming.

A CPU no one should buy today. 14700K also has 8P + 12E cores. 13700K with 8P + 8E is only $330 today.

So again, no, getting only 8-Cores at $299 in 2024 is not amazing.

I bought a 13600K (6P+8E) for $300 20 months ago and it will probably beat the 9700X in MT by more than the 9700X will win in gaming.
So you are comparing a new 2024 cpu the 9700x which will release now for $300 to the old 13700k? A 2022 cpu with a MSRP of $409. Come on man. Is ok to loose sometimes...

The Intel Core i7-13700K is a desktop processor with 16 cores, launched in September 2022, at an MSRP of $409. So if you are gonna compare the 9700x to the 13700x do it with the MSRP the prices when released. Not the 9700x MSRP and 2 year later price of the 13700x. Your hate to AMD is making you not being fair.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

jngllfytl0t61.jpg

Rumor has it that its been pushed back to 2025

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
So you are comparing a new 2024 cpu the 9700x which will release now for $300 to the old 13700k? A 2022 cpu with a MSRP of $409. Come on man. Is ok to loose sometimes...
Price isn't confirmed.

The Intel Core i7-13700K is a desktop processor with 16 cores, launched in September 2022, at an MSRP of $409. So if you are gonna compare the 9700x to the 13700x do it with the MSRP the prices when released. Not the 9700x MSRP and 2 year later price of the 13700x. Your hate to AMD is making you not being fair.
13700K a $300-$330 CPU the day 9700X launches. 9700X didn't launch two years ago.

13600K is a $240-$270 CPU the day the 9700X launches, and the 13600K may still beat it in MT...

Of course if you compare a new architecture to an old one at the same/similar MSRP, the new one should obviously do better.

Hey guys, my 4070 destroys the last gen RX 6800 which launched at around the same price, years later... do you know how stupid that sounds?!

scydrex

Price isn't confirmed.

13700K a $300-$330 CPU the day 9700X launches. 9700X didn't launch two years ago.

13600K is a $240-$270 CPU the day the 9700X launches, and the 13600K may still beat it in MT...

Of course if you compare a new architecture to an old one at the same/similar MSRP, the new one should obviously do better.

Hey guys, my 4070 destroys the last gen RX 6800 which launched at around the same price, years later... do you know how stupid that sounds?!
Again then compare the 9700x to the 14700k MSRP $409 or the new 15700K this year. Not to a 2 year old cpu. You are not being fair.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The prices of the CPUs have been leaked and I would not at all be surprised if AMD pulls an nvidia and decides to increase the price at the last second.

Remember how the 3080 Ti was supposed to launch at $999? AT the last second nvidia bumped it to $1199.

WHy? Because they could.

AMD can almost charge anything they want for these CPUs and people will pay. Almost. AMD in the CPU market is nowhere near as strong a position as nvidia in the CPU market.

I am very curious to see how my 7800X3D performs against the 9700X.

Of course, I look forward even more to seeing how the 9800X3D improvements.

Last edited:
The prices of the CPUs have been leaked and I would not at all be surprised if AMD pulls an nvidia and decides to increase the price at the last second.

Remember how the 3080 Ti was supposed to launch at $999? AT the last second nvidia bumped it to $1199.

WHy? Because they could.

AMD can almost charge anything they want for these CPUs and people will pay. Almost. AMD in the CPU market is nowhere near as strong a position as nvidia in the CPU market.

I am very curious to see how my 7800X3D performs against the 9700X.

Of course, I look forward even more to seeing how the 9800X3D improvements.
I’m upgrading every generation a new X3D chip comes out, because I’ll take every single bit of 3D Cache alongside higher clocks any day of the week, I’m also curious to see the 9800X3D

I did the whole thing from 5800X3D — 7800X3D and hopefully the 9800X3D next hehehe

Top Bottom