• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen 9000 “Zen 5” Desktop CPU Prices Leaked: 9950X $499, 9900X $399, 9700X $299, 9600X $229

winjer

Gold Member

Pricing details for the Ryzen 9000-series CPUs have recently been revealed through leaks by Newegg and BestBuy. The information was captured in screenshots by the well-known leaker @momomo_us on X/Twitter before being taken down by the retailers. Originally scheduled for release today, the launch of the Ryzen 9000-series has been postponed to the 8th and 14th of August. Although the pricing could still be adjusted, it is likely accurate as multiple retailers now display the same prices for the upcoming processors.

1722433854_guru3d.webp

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
And that's why I don't fall for AMD pricing rumors... add $50-$100 vs. this rumor some people fell for.

Hopefully Microcenter has some great bundle deals this Fall.

Last edited:

Codeblew

And that's why I don't fall for AMD pricing rumors... add $50-$100 vs. this rumor some people fell for.

Hopefully Microcenter has some great bundle deals this Fall.
They probably raised the prices after the recent Intel issues being reported. A lot of people are not even considering Intel for their next upgrade as a result.

Last edited:
Rumored prices too good to be true of course. Guess I'll sit out another round. Can't believe how quickly PC gaming exploded in popularity and then imploded in value.

CPU is still decent value. GPU is where things have gotten laughable.

GPU is unspeakable, CPU is still not a good value at those prices. The rumored ones should be typical MSRP and they should be going on sale below that within a few months after launch. Micro Center is the only place that makes things even close to ok with their bundles.

Leonidas

Rumored prices too good to be true. Guess I'll sit out another round. Can't believe how quickly PC gaming exploded in popularity and then imploded in value.
RIP LavitzSlambert LavitzSlambert

Nature is healing :messenger_sun:

Won't be long till this fake leak prices are reached on some SKUs, though even then, it doesn't seem like it'd be a good deal, considering Zen4 will still be similar or cheaper price with similar gaming performance.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Again then compare the 9700x to the 14700k MSRP $409 or the new 15700K this year. Not to a 2 year old cpu. You are not being fair.
Okay, we will compare Arrow Lake to Zen5 at launch. MSRP to MSRP. There could be only 2 months separating the releases.

Since you want to compare MSRP so bad, surely a 2024 vs. 2024 MSRP comparison that could be separated by as little as 2 months is fair, right? That seems way more fair than you trying to compare a 2024 MSRP to a 2022 CPU architecture MSRP.

Last edited:
RIP LavitzSlambert LavitzSlambert

Nature is healing :messenger_sun:

Won't be long till this fake leak prices are reached on some SKUs, though even then, it doesn't seem like it'd be a good deal, considering Zen4 will still be similar or cheaper price with similar gaming performance.

You must be joking. RIP for a meager discount of 5% to 10% off the ridiculous launch prices, for a generation that has nearly no uplift from the prior? This is not an MSRP price drop either, it's retailers trying to move product that is generating zero interest.

AMD and Intel are both in for a rude awakening with the amount of people who upgraded to X3D chips the last couple years, those people won't need to buy a new CPU any time soon and the enthusiasts who upgrade constantly won't be able to keep sales afloat.

Leonidas

You must be joking. RIP for a meager discount of 5% to 10% off the ridiculous launch prices, for a generation that has nearly no uplift from the prior? This is not an MSRP price drop either, it's retailers trying to move product that is generating zero interest.
RIP for you being dissapointed and keeping your old CPU for another generation, while I will be upgrading to a newer and faster CPU this Fall :messenger_sun:

Zathalus

RIP for you being dissapointed and keeping your old CPU for another generation, while I will be upgrading to a newer and faster CPU this Fall :messenger_sun:
You’re confident the gaming performance of Arrow Lake is going to exceed 8-10% over Raptor Lake? That’s basically what’s required to beat Zen 4 3D.

Edit: That is to actually match Zen 4 3D, to actually be a worthwhile upgrade over Zen 4 3D would require gaming performance uplift of 12-14% over Raptor Lake.

Last edited:

SHA

229 launch price of the 9600X...........300 for the 9700X?
Intel have got to be reevaluating their launch prices for ArrowLake.

Cuz if they are thinking of using the same prices as last gen.

Guv5uZx.gif

Bro a 9600X for 229 and a 9700X for 299 is a frikken steal.
AM5 is now a mature platform so motherboards arent too expensive.
You need to remember the 7600X was 299 and the 7700X was 399........this is like a 100 price cut gen on gen.....the 9600 non-X is gonna sub 200 dollars.
And the upper echelon(that we shouldnt care about as gamers) have even bigger price cuts.

Intel is busy dealing with RaptorLake issues which is already a headache........if these prices get announced this is gonna be Intel.

pvfg5us.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't that reflect the calm before the storm for future demanding games? Cause historicaly it does.

Leonidas

Leonidas Leonidas is getting roasted up in here hahahaah
I don't see what you guys get out of attacking someone who tells the truth.

You’re confident the gaming performance of Arrow Lake is going to exceed 8-10% over Raptor Lake? That’s basically what’s required to beat Zen 4 3D.
I have absolutely no confidence in percentages at this point, I need more info. I at least have to see Intel first party numbers...

I think that it will be faster than Raptor Lake, as I can't imagine them going backwards given the architectural and node improvements.

Zathalus

I don't see what you guys get out of attacking someone who tells the truth.

I have absolutely no confidence in percentages at this point, I need more info. I at least have to see Intel first party numbers...

I think that it will be faster than Raptor Lake, as I can't imagine them going backwards given the architectural and node improvements.
Of course it will be faster compared to Raptor Lake. The question is by how much, IPC improvements are quite large but that is coupled to a regression in clock speed. The Geekbench leak looks promising but as we all know benchmark numbers do not always translate into gaming numbers.

Leonidas

Of course it will be faster compared to Raptor Lake. The question is by how much
I don't know and I don't really care. If it's faster than Raptor Lake, and uses less power than Raptor Lake (so my cooling can handle higher tier CPUs again), I am happy.

I'm not comparing it to X3D as X3D was never on the table for me because ever since it launched I've never been interested in an 8-core CPU. And I am not dealing with the 2 CCD issues of the higher core count models.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I don't know and I don't really care. If it's faster than Raptor Lake, and uses less power than Raptor Lake (so my cooling can handle higher tier CPUs again), I am happy.

I'm not comparing it to X3D as X3D was never on the table for me because ever since it launched I've never been interested in an 8-core CPU. And I am not dealing with the 2 CCD issues of the higher core count models.
The CCD issues with cache for gaming has been resolved. Several methods you can use to address it, hence the 7950x3D actually being faster in games vs the 7800X3D and no longer requires micromanaging.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The CCD issues with cache for gaming has been resolved. Several methods you can use to address it, hence the 7950x3D actually being faster in games vs the 7800X3D and no longer requires micromanaging.
Just asking out of curiosity, does windows just correctly manage it now so that the user no longer needs to use tools like processor lasso?

Leonidas

Yes, just needs a BIOS setting change and AMD drivers installed. JayzTwoCents had a recent video about this.
Has it changed since this?

Just two days ago, AMD notified us that "Ryzen 9 9900X and 9950X have Windows Game Mode core parking optimizations installed by the AMD PPM Provisioning File Driver," and that "Windows game mode must be enabled," "Xbox Game Bar must be enabled and up to date in the Microsoft Store," "the legacy Control Panel Power Options must be set to the default 'Balanced' scheme," and that "sometimes Windows does not apply the correct provisioning after the CPU installed has changed.
That doesn't really sound all that intuitive. And I didn't deal with any of that when I had Zen1-Zen3.

And those issues aren't the only reason I avoid X3D, and now 2 CCD Zen5 seems to have the same issues...

Zen4 X3D seems to have higher power draw in light tasks than my 13600K, something which would be a huge downgrade for me in most of my PC usage.

I also want to use a lot faster than DDR 6000 and not be penalized for it.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Has it changed since this?

That doesn't really sound all that intuitive.

And those issues aren't the only reason I avoid X3D, and now 2 CCD Zen5 seems to have the same issues...

Zen4 X3D seems to have higher power draw in light tasks than my 13600K, something which would be a huge downgrade for me in most of my PC usage.
- Install driver
- Fresh windows install if possible (but not needed as JayzTwoCents proved, BIOS setting is fine, this is really only a concern for reviewers who are swapping CPUs out on the same Windows install multiple times)
- Make sure game mode and game bar are activated.
- Correct Power plan.

That’s not exactly a huge amount of work. 10 min of your time maybe?

And yes, you have mentioned your idle power draw concern before, most people wouldn’t really worry over what amounts to a single lightbulbs worth of energy draw, especially when the active energy draw wipes away all those savings and then some.

Last edited:

Leonidas

And yes you have mentioned your idle power draw concern before, most people wouldn’t really worry over what amounts to a single lightbulbs worth of energy draw, especially when the active energy draw wipes away all those savings and then some.
Well I do, so I don't really get why you're trying to be a Zen X3D salesman towards me.

Zathalus

Well I do, so I don't really get why you're trying to be a Zen X3D salesman towards me.
So best gaming CPU is not important then? I’m sorry it’s really difficult to keep up with all these arbitrary rules you keep throwing around when it comes to your constantly changing criteria as to what is a good CPU.

If Arrow Lake does not meaningfully offer a gaming performance lead over Zen 4 X3D does that mean you won’t upgrade to it? Because it would be a bit pointless to upgrade to gaming performance that’s almost two years old right? What if Arrow Lakes idle power usage is slightly higher? No upgrade from you?

Leonidas

So best gaming CPU is not important then?
To me personally, no.
When I bought 13600K, 13900K was the fastest gaming CPU on the planet. I didn't get it because I could tune 13600K and get 95% the way there at a much lower cost.

With the way current CPUs are pretty close in gaming, I care more about MT perf/$. There are very few games where I can't max out 120 FPS on my monitor.

If a CPU was 20% (or more) faster in gaming, maybe I'd care.

If Arrow Lake does not meaningfully offer a gaming performance lead over Zen 4 X3D does that mean you won’t upgrade to it?
As I've already said, If it's faster than Raptor Lake, and uses less power than Raptor Lake, I am happy. Anything more will make me even happier.

Anything less and I might just upgrade to 14700K and under-clock/under-volt it, as that would still give me small improvement in gaming and big MT improvement than what I have now, and that would be the cheapest option as its a drop in on my current board.

No matter what happens, I'll have a faster CPU this Fall than I have today.

Last edited:

Zathalus

To me personally, no.
When I bought 13600K, 13900K was the fastest gaming CPU on the planet. I didn't get it because I could tune 13600K and get 95% the way there at a much lower cost.

With the way current CPUs are pretty close in gaming, I care more about MT perf/$. There are very few games where I can't max out 120 FPS on my monitor.

If a CPU was 20% (or more) faster in gaming, maybe I'd care.

As I've already said, If it's faster than Raptor Lake, and uses less power than Raptor Lake, I am happy. Anything more will make me even happier.

Anything less and I might just upgrade to 14700K and under-clock/under-volt it, as that would still give me small improvement in gaming and big MT improvement than what I have now, and that would be the cheapest option as its a drop in on my current board.

No matter what happens, I'll have a faster CPU this Fall than I have today.
Ah, so Intel forever then right? You know far fewer people would give you a hard time if you just fess up and state what everyone already knows, that you vastly prefer Intel over AMD because of personal reasons instead of throwing out arbitrary reasons.

“I’m upgrading to Raptor Lake because I prefer Intel for my own personal reasons” sounds far more likely and true then “I would upgrade to AMD but the CPU needs to be better then Raptor Lake, not be equal in gaming to an architecture from several years ago, needs to have a certain idle power consumption, can’t miss my 2024 window even by two weeks, I don’t want to worry about core parking, needs specific amount of multicore performance, doesn’t need to be the fastest gaming CPU (ignore that part about gaming architecture I said previously, I really only need 95% of the best), and it needs to have more then 8 cores (they don’t have to be powerful, I need them for multicore application performance even though my CPU mostly remains idle).”

I think I covered everything there, let me know if I missed any criteria.

Leonidas

Ah, so Intel forever then right?
Nope, I'm forever what suites my needs best.

Before Zen that was 100% Intel (since my first build over a decade ago, since AMD CPUs were trash at the time)

As I've said multiple times, I had Zen1-Zen3 on an X470 board. I don't blindly hate on AMD for fun, I use their products when it makes sense.

But since Zen4 Intel has better options that suites my needs better. Your Zen sales pitch can't work on someone like me who knows exactly what he wants. I did all my research. I'm not an idiot, I don't blindly believe what others say, I do my own research and find out what suites me best. Zen6 needs to make a lot of improvements relative to Intel for me to go back to using a Zen processor.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Nope, I'm forever what suites my needs best.

Before Zen that was 100% Intel (since my first build over a decade ago, since AMD CPUs were trash at the time)

As I've said multiple times, I had Zen1-Zen3 on an X470 board.

But since Zen4 Intel has better options that suites my needs better. Your Zen sales pitch can't work on someone like me who knows exactly what he wants. I did all my research. I'm not an idiot, I don't blindly believe what others say, I do my own research and find out what suites me best.
What sales pitch? Buy what you want, I’m just countering the bullshit you throw up any time AMD is mentioned. This whole conversation because you simply couldn’t help yourself take more digs at AMD. I’m 100% confident that if AMD released a CPU that checked all of the items you mentioned you would just find another reason to avoid them.

Leonidas

What sales pitch? Buy what you want, I’m just countering the bullshit you throw up any time AMD is mentioned.
What BS? Where did I lie?

I’m 100% confident that if AMD released a CPU that checked all of the items you mentioned you would just find another reason to avoid them.
Why then, did I buy Zen1-Zen3 on an X470 board? And yes, I really was going to buy a 9950X but it turned out a bit worse than I thought...

Leonidas

This whole conversation because you simply couldn’t help yourself take more digs at AMD.
Nope, this whole conversation is you taking digs at me. Accusing me of somehow being a fanboy, despite me buying more Zen CPUs than most people in this thread.

You're the one who keeps attacking me for some reason. Why are you interrogating me? Why are you acting as a Ryzen salesman towards me?

Zathalus

Nope, this whole conversation is you taking digs at me. Accusing me of somehow being a fanboy, despite me buying more Zen CPUs than most people in this thread.

You're the one who keeps attacking me for some reason. Why are you interrogating me? Why are you acting as a Ryzen salesman towards me?
Attacking you? I attempted to start a conversation about potential Raptor Lake gaming performance after you made fun of somebody sticking to a current X3D CPU. You then immediately jumped into how X3D is simply unfeasible due to CCD issues (that have been fixed) then changing gears immediately into idle power usage after the fix was pointed out to you. Excuse me if I got tired of the same song and dance routine after that point.

Also, buying a product does not make you have no bias against said product.

Leonidas

Attacking you? I attempted to start a conversation about potential Raptor Lake gaming performance.
You attempted to start a conversation by getting me to comment on Arrow Lake performance, useless speculation. Irrelevant to the conversation.

after you made fun of somebody sticking to a current X3D CPU.
I was not poking fun at anyone sticking with X3D, only that particular person doesn't seem to be upgrading this Fall. But I will, and I will be on a faster CPU this Fall than I am now.

This is you, again, changing the meaning of my words to fit your idea that I'm a fanboy somehow.

You then immediately jumped into how X3D is simply unfeasible due to CCD issues (that have been fixed) then changing gears immediately into idle power usage after the fix was pointed out to you.
I brought up X3D only because its the fastest CPU out, and posted valid reasons why I will not use any of the X3D CPUs out today.

And then you go on your sales pitch, making the CCD issues seeming trivial, but to me, as someone who upgrades CPUs fairly often, it could end up being a PITA I just don't want to deal with.

You could own all the AMD CPUs in the world and still be raging Intel fanboy. Which you are.
I say things to get under the skin of AMD fanboys, since they trigger easily, that doesn't make me a raging Intel fanboy.

Zathalus

You attempted to start a conversation by getting me to comment on Arrow Lake performance, useless speculation. Irrelevant to the conversation.

I was not poking fun at anyone sticking with X3D, only that particular person doesn't seem to be upgrading this Fall. But I will, and I will be on a faster CPU this Fall than I am now.

This is you, again, changing the meaning of my words to fit your idea that I'm a fanboy somehow.

I brought up X3D only because its the fastest CPU out, and posted valid reasons why I will not use any of the X3D CPUs out today.

And then you go on your sales pitch, making the CCD issues seeming trivial, but to me, as someone who upgrades CPUs fairly often, it could end up being a PITA I just don't want to deal with.

I say things to get under the skin of AMD fanboys, since they trigger easily, that doesn't make me a raging Intel fanboy.
If you are going to start off your response stating that speculation is useless when most of the talk about Zen 5 and Arrow Lake is or has been speculation, with you yourself making multiple polls about performance predictions, then I’m just not going to bother further. It’s clear that you just want to deflect at this point.

Leonidas

If you are going to start off your response stating that speculation is useless when most of the talk about Zen 5 and Arrow Lake is or has been speculation, with you yourself making multiple polls about performance predictions, then I’m just not going to bother further. It’s clear that you just want to deflect at this point.
Those polls are just so I can see how wrong winjer winjer is, he was way off with his +30% Zen4 to Zen5 gaming prediction. Can't wait to see if his Arrow Lake gaming regression prediction comes true :messenger_sun: if he's wrong then he was terribly wrong in all 3 polls.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Those polls are just so I can see how wrong winjer winjer is, he was way off with his +30% Zen4 to Zen5 gaming prediction. Can't wait to see if his Arrow Lake gaming regression prediction comes true :messenger_sun: if he's wrong then he was terribly wrong in all 3 polls.

We were both wrong with Zen5.
And we both say 5% for Arrow Lake. So we'll be both wrong, or right.

But then there are all the non-sense you say, and in that case you are constantly wrong.
That's why we all laugh at you and you tag.

winjer

Gold Member
But you voted 9950X performance for Arrow Lake, that's a regression. You can't have two votes, your actual vote counts.

I was trying to check the option and click on the wrong one. And since you locked the votes, I can't fix that.
But there is a post from me on that thread, almost on the start of the thread, where I state what I think.

And you were terribly wrong, while I at least came close to AMDs bullshit marketing.

No. I wasn't. I told you that all companies pad those slides. And that we need independent benchmarks.
But since you have nothing else to hold on to, you pretend that is the problem.
The big mistake is done by you, putting way too much importance on slides made by these companies, when what really matters is independent benchmarks.

Leonidas

I was trying to check the option and click on the wrong one.
Sure...

No. I wasn't.
Yeah you were terribly wrong.

I was only slightly wrong, and pretty much dead on where AMD wanted the CPUs as their bullshit numbers showed.

The big mistake is done by you, putting way too much importance on slides made by these companies, when what really matters is independent benchmarks.
I voted way before the marketing slides appeared. I can get a very good idea of where things will land after seeing the slides and seeing the test config... that's why I knew Zen5 would not be a great gaming CPU.

I am also the first one here who called AMD on their BS.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

You have my quote there.
And I even created a thread, much earlier than your thread, with a leak where Intel was targeting 5% improvement for single core performance.
And this is where I base my assumption for performance in games.

Yeah you were terribly wrong.

I was only slightly wrong, and pretty much dead on where AMD wanted the CPUs as their bullshit numbers showed.

I was going by the numbers that Jim Keller said. And tough it was wrong for gaming, it was spot on for AI, servers and workstations.
But still, it's just a prediction and we are just throwing numbers around. Like you have already said before.

BTW, just consider that with the new patch for Windows 11, Zen performance increases all around, so we get performance more comparable to what AMD said in those slides.
And it also means, you get to be closer to being right with your prediction.

Everyone voted before the marketing slides. I can get a very good idea of where things will land after seeing the slides and seeing the test config... that's why I knew Zen5 would not be a great gaming CPU.

The problem is not when you voted. The problem is your insistence on powerpoint slides.
Nobody cares about that. What really matters are the independent benchmarks.

Leonidas

The problem is not when you voted. The problem is your insistence on powerpoint slides.
Nobody cares about that. What really matters are the independent benchmarks.
And you keep repeating that like I don't already know we need to wait for benchmarks.

I say 1st party slides do matter because there are a lot of dumbasses in this world who believe it.

And I like seeing first party slides because after seeing them and their method I can usually get very close to the actual performance, since I know the various ways these companies like to cherry pick their results.

Right, Zen 5 offering a 2%-3% performance boost in gaming is "abysmal". But it would be perfectly fine for Arrow Lake to offer a similar boost over Raptor Lake.
It'd be an abysmal gaming increase if that were the case, but if Arrow Lake still improved greatly in other areas such as efficiency and if I found a use for the NPU, I would still probably buy it. There's a lot more to Arrow Lake than gaming performance. My most important factors are MT perf/$ and low power usage in low power tasks.

Could be a toss up between 14700K and an Arrow Lake CPU for me this Fall if things turn out badly for Arrow Lake.

winjer

Gold Member
And you keep repeating that like I don't already know we need to wait for benchmarks.

I say 1st party slides do matter because there are a lot of dumbasses in this world who believe it.

And I like seeing first party slides because after seeing them and their method I can usually get very close to the actual performance, since I know the various ways these companies like to cherry pick their results.

The only one that believes in them is you.
The rest of the people just watch the reviews, which always come out before any of these products are officially on sale.

Leonidas

The only one that believes in them is you.
The rest of the people just watch the reviews, which always come out before any of these products are officially on sale.
Only a fool would believe AMD marketing, as I pointed out.

Leonidas

But you are a fool, because you believe that AMD is the only company doing this.
At least I'm smart enough to know when AMD is lying, and not stupid enough to Fall for the simple tricks they pulled.

Unlike, some people, who defended AMD for doing what they did...

winjer

Gold Member
At least I'm smart enough to know when AMD is lying, and not stupid enough to Fall for the simple tricks they pulled.

Unlike, some people, who defended AMD for doing what they did...

No you are not. You told a lot of non-sense, and plenty of lies, and when asked for sources, you ran away.

Leonidas

Very interesting how I'm being called a fool by a person who believes IPC = gaming performance.

Top Bottom