• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Just got my 1800x. I went with the Asus B350 mATX. We'll see how it goes. Will put this bad boy together tonight hopefully :)

What cooling setups are some of you running with your builds?

Just got my 1800x. I went with the Asus B350 mATX. We'll see how it goes. Will put this bad boy together tonight hopefully :)
Congrats. Do you intend to overclock? That exposed power section gives me pause.

inte-vs-ryzen51j18.jpg

i7 6900K -vs- R7 1800X: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Review - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI Scaling And AMD Ryzen-Powered Results
http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvid...erformance-review-with-intel-and-ryzen?page=7

Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti CPU Showdown: i7 7700k Vs Ryzen R7 1800x Vs i7 5820k
http://www.eteknix.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-cpu-showdown-i7-7700k-vs-ryzen-r7-1800x-vs-i7-5820k/

LinusTechTips —— GTX 1080 Ti Review - AMAZING (i7 7700K -vs- R7 1800X)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34ZkAF9q9w

i7 7700K -vs- R7 1800X: GTX 1080, GTX 1080 Ti, Titan X Pascal
https://news.xfastest.com/review/32241/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-graphics-card-review/4/
https://news.xfastest.com/review/32241/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-graphics-card-review/5/

Kambing

Which motherboard manufacturer is good with BIOS and other updates?

I had a Gigabyte and the support was mediocre.

Yeah I would be interested In knowing what the recommended motherboard is? My 1700 arrived yesterday but it looks like I forgot to order the Hero IV lol. Pretty glad I didn't as read that a lot of people are experiencing issues with Asus.

Yeah I would be interested In knowing what the recommended motherboard is? My 1700 arrived yesterday but it looks like I forgot to order the Hero IV lol. Pretty glad I didn't as read that a lot of people are experiencing issues with Asus.

I think at this point nothing is going to be a completely stable experience. Brand new architecture that none of these manufacturers have dealt with before, it's going to be a rocky road for the first month or three while the kinks get worked out.

Hoping sooner rather than later, I'm still chomping at the bit looking at getting one of these.

Crzy1

After a rough start, I've got my 1700x humming along at 4.0 GHz on an Xpower Titanium board. So far, so good. I found myself very much in a leap before you look situation with this, haven't had an AMD processor in well over a decade, but I think they've knocked it out of the park so far. Kind of wish I'd gone for the 1700 instead after seeing how much of a champ it is at overclocking, but I think I'll be plenty satisfied with what I've got going for now. Sucks about the memory issues, but I don't find it affects performance too much right now.

Overall, massively faster than my ever-so-old-yet-reliable i7 950. I think the gaming performance is quite good so far, but I haven't owned a recent high end Intel CPU. It's definitely a better gaming processor than the 950.

Now I just have to wait for the 1080 Ti to become widely available and I'll be all set for the near future, I think.

funo

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...boards-coming-biostar-delayed-by-bios-issues/

I guess they seriously underestimated demand.

Still waiting for MOBO stock in Canada.

at the moment, there are virtually no Asrock x370 Mobos available (in Germany)
Some of the biggest online retailers didn't even receive their initial shipment :/
I have all the parts here, 1700 - DDR4 - Cooler ... but my board is nowhere to be seen :(

What pisses me off the most about this is the total radio silence - you can't find any info on shipping dates, all retailers say they "don't know"

No Love

Banned
Hitman shows some really glorious DX12 results ;)

hitman_1920_2.png

upper system is 6700k@4,7 , lower is Ryzen@4,075

Whole results with 1080ti
http://pclab.pl/art73194-27.html

and that will only get worse when we get faster gpus

No offense but that is some cherrypicked bullshit. Nobody cares about 1080p anymode tbh, it's a "bare minimum" resolution at this point.

hitman_4k_2.png

The Intel CPU has an almost 20% clockspeed advantage. You're telling me that the Ryzen at the same frequency isn't going to be super close?

Durante

The game barely runs at 60 FPS at 1080p, and doesn't reach that at 4k. Of course it's a relevant resolution.

People were arguing that 720p is "unrealistic", and I think even that is easily justified for comparing CPUs in a forward-looking manner, but 1080p is certainly beyond reproach, especially if it's needed to reach a solid 60 FPS.

Kayant

1080p bare "minimum" no one cares about it 🤔😂😂😂.

amd_slide.jpg

Even if we don't know the survey sizes calling 1080p a resolution no one cares about is incredibly laughable and shortsighted way to disregard that result.

Vipu

Banned
No offense but that is some cherrypicked bullshit. Nobody cares about 1080p anymode tbh, it's a "bare minimum" resolution at this point.

hitman_4k_2.png

The Intel CPU has an almost 20% clockspeed advantage. You're telling me that the Ryzen at the same frequency isn't going to be super close?

No offense but you are bullshit :)

hitman_4k_2.png

1080p absolutely still matters, particularly when you add in that many enthusiast gamers choose 1080p or 1440p screens for higher refresh rate monitors, where the extra FPS that the Intel chips are getting over Ryzen would be most beneficial.

1440p 144hz and 4k 60hz look like they require about the same ballpark in GPU performance, but the 144hz monitor will need more CPU performance than a 60hz one to pace the extra frames.

Mailbox

Hitman shows some really glorious DX12 results ;)

hitman_1920_2.png

upper system is 6700k@4,7 , lower is Ryzen@4,075

Whole results with 1080ti
http://pclab.pl/art73194-27.html

and that will only get worse when we get faster gpus

sorry, but something seems off w/ those graphs.
while i expect the 7700k to out preform it (especially so w/ all the scheduling and L3 cashe issues rn) why does the ryzen chip plummit in preformance w/ hitman when it changes to dx12? that seems like some sort of bug or error rather than anything else.

also to say that "it will only get worse as we get faster gpus" is extremely disingenuous and a really poor conclusion to come out of this with

Why does it still feel like such a gamble going AMD? Here I was all confident in my decision to pair up an RX 480 8GB and a Ryzen 1700, but now I'm having second thoughts, even though my GPU is in the post!

As I'll be aiming at 1080/1440p for gaming, I am a little worried...

That said, I'm jumping from a laptop gaming/rendering experience, so it's probably going to feel monumental anyway, and people's reports on Ryzen re: productivity do have me pretty stoked.

GAGH, I don't like this game! More competition is obviously good, but I do wish it was a little more clear cut. Now to pick a motherboard, which is just as difficult a choice, especially the mixed reports I'm finding from here and Reddit :|

sorry, but something seems off w/ those graphs.
while i expect the 7700k to out preform it (especially so w/ all the scheduling and L3 cashe issues rn) why does the ryzen chip plummit in preformance w/ hitman when it changes to dx12? that seems like some sort of bug or error rather than anything else.

also to say that "it will only get worse as we get faster gpus" is extremely disingenuous and a really poor conclusion to come out of this with

Early testing is showing that Ryzen is actually rather poor at handling draw calls (poor as in Phenom II levels), though it is unknown at this point how much of that is an architectural issues and how much of it a software issue with things like the scheduler.

If Ryzen ends up being worse than Intel at handling draw calls, it would explain the issue's it seems to be having in some DX12 games right now, the main benefit of DX12 over DX11 from a performance perspective is the ability to handle significantly more draw calls to increase CPU utilization. If Ryzen can't handle the draw calls, then welp. It would also explain why 1080p performance, which is more CPU limited, was as bad as it was on Hitman in DX12, but 4K performance was basically the same on either renderer, since at 4K the GPU is the bottleneck and not the CPU.

·feist·;231803679 said:
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti CPU Showdown: i7 7700k Vs Ryzen R7 1800x Vs i7 5820k
http://www.eteknix.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-cpu-showdown-i7-7700k-vs-ryzen-r7-1800x-vs-i7-5820k/

Wow, this is the first review I've seen the 1800X significantly outperform the others in Rise of the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex Mankind Divided!

I wonder what they used to test this? The built-in benchmark or an in-game scenario?

The game barely runs at 60 FPS at 1080p, and doesn't reach that at 4k. Of course it's a relevant resolution.

People were arguing that 720p is "unrealistic", and I think even that is easily justified for comparing CPUs in a forward-looking manner, but 1080p is certainly beyond reproach, especially if it's needed to reach a solid 60 FPS.

I find it incredible that people want to see reviewers test GPU performance in CPU reviews rather than CPU performance, it defeats the purpose of the review unless you're showcasing the performance under CPU limited scenarios as-well as GPU limited ones.

This testing is quite important so you can see what performance the CPU is capable of in CPU intensive games. Being able to see how it performs with a 60 or 120+ fps target would be a meaningful pursuit, but then you see reviewers testing games at resolutions where they can't target these frame-rates with the GPU they have available, thus showcasing the limitations of the GPU. It's quite frustrating to see.

kotodama

AwCohdD.png

hitman_1920_2.png

Why is Ryzen kicking butt and taking names in the first one and not the second one? It's like 2x to 3x more. Both at 1080p, Ultra preset, Ryzen clocked around 4.0 to 4.1 Ghz, etc. Is the top one DX11 or something?

Looking at Eteknix's previous Ryzen 1800x review it could be argued perhaps that Ryzen gains more performance from the upgrade of a 980ti to a 1080ti. So perhaps Ryzen plays even better with modern graphic cards. Reddit peps are saying perhaps because the new Nvidia drivers are very multi-threaded or some such.

Übermatik;231809599 said:
Why does it still feel like such a gamble going AMD? Here I was all confident in my decision to pair up an RX 480 8GB and a Ryzen 1700, but now I'm having second thoughts, even though my GPU is in the post!

As I'll be aiming at 1080/1440p for gaming, I am a little worried...

That said, I'm jumping from a laptop gaming/rendering experience, so it's probably going to feel monumental anyway, and people's reports on Ryzen re: productivity do have me pretty stoked.

GAGH, I don't like this game! More competition is obviously good, but I do wish it was a little more clear cut. Now to pick a motherboard, which is just as difficult a choice, especially the mixed reports I'm finding from here and Reddit :|

It's actually a no-brainer if you're doing rendering and more intense PC tasks to go with an R7. Stop listening to all the noise and do the research.

It's actually a no-brainer if you're doing rendering and more intense PC tasks to go with an R7. Stop listening to all the noise and do the research.

I've done loads of research, to be honest. I think I'm just worrying about getting this first build wrong.

I'll buy the CPU tonight, and settle on a motherboard once I have a clearer picture.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
·feist·;231803679 said:
What cooling setups are some of you running with your builds?

Congrats. Do you intend to overclock? That exposed power section gives me pause.
I might try to get an extra 200 MHz but I don't intend to do any hardcore overclocking.

I went with the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4:

Noctua has 3 "special edition" AM4 coolers, this is the mid-range one. Will post some temperature #s later if anybody is interested. (Just got Win10 installed this morning before I had to leave for work, can't wait to get home and play with my new toy!)

ethomaz

Banned
Bullshit.

Can Zen reach the Intel clocks? Clocks is part of the performance of a chip.

Why is Ryzen kicking butt and taking names in the first one and not the second one? It's like 2x to 3x more. Both at 1080p, Ultra preset, Ryzen clocked around 4.0 to 4.1 Ghz, etc. Is the top one DX11 or something?

Looking at Eteknix's previous Ryzen 1800x review it could be argued perhaps that Ryzen gains more performance from the upgrade of a 980ti to a 1080ti. So perhaps Ryzen plays even better with modern graphic cards. Reddit peps are saying perhaps because the new Nvidia drivers are very multi-threaded or some such.
Both are DX12.

It is probably drivers or settings.

Site 1: unknown driver + disabled all form of AA
Site 2: Nvidia GeForce 378.78 WHQL + SMAA + 16xAF.

BTW the first graph looks like GPU-bound scenario.

Using this one Hitman benchmark to judge Ryzen is like a teacher using the one quiz you flunked to give you your whole class grade. It's an outlier. Cindy Crawford has a mole, did everyone worry about her mole all the time, or did they look at the entire package and say she was beautiful? Outliers get thrown out for a reason.

If you took a large set of benchmarking data and graded on a curve Ryzen would probably get a solid A in productivity and a B+ in gaming. The 7700k would get a solid C in productivity and an A in gaming. Which would you rather have? Playing games will never pay your bills btw, creating them is a different story (also unlikely to pay your bills /s).

My guess is these guys have taken a short position on AMD stock recently or work for people who have. Bad news guys, AMD stock isn't declining from the release shock anymore, cover your positions and find something else to short. Trading stocks will teach you more about why people try to influence public opinion than anything else. I didn't realize how likely it was that there are guerrilla marketers on various forums out there prior to getting into the stock market. After working in a legit industry, making solid money, and getting some business background, I realized that businesses want you to believe they are your friend, but in all reality they are just doing what they do to make a profit. If you aren't helping them make a profit, you aren't relevant to them.

Also, consider that if these guys have cast doubt in your mind they have succeeded in their goal. Why should they want to in the first place though? What motivates anyone to say what they do? Don't trust anyone, do your own research, make your own conclusions, own yourself and your life. Confidence is hard earned, don't let people take it away from you with silly outlier data.

Admittedly, if you're building a Hitman machine, the relevance of the above data becomes significant. But only you can determine what data applies to you.

Here's a writeup of AMD's Ryzen GDC site from a Japanese site:
Google Translation
XFR said:
However, Mr. Mitchell did a different explanation from the previous story in the session. It is said that "In order for Ryzen 7 to operate beyond the maximum boost clock, six or more of the eight CPU cores must fall to the C6 state ". The C6 state is an idle state also called "Deep Power Down", that is, in the case of an application like a game where loads are applied to a plurality of CPU cores for a while, the maximum boost clock is satisfied by satisfying the XFR operation condition It is said that exceeding it is quite difficult.

Also, Ryzen's performance is closely related to the power management setting on the OS side, he says. According to Mitchell, if you set "Power plan" (Power scheme on slides) and "High performance" on Windows 10, the P state of all CPU cores is fixed to the highest (* P 0 state), the OS scheduler Also, it seems to be in the state of "using all CPU cores without considering the balance with power consumption" (* Since the P state and the C state are controlled independently, even in "P 0 fixed" C 6 state There is a thing that enters). In addition, when the load on the CPU is low, "Core Parking" function to stop the CPU core which does not hinder even when stopped is said to be invalid.
010.jpg

DirectX 12 said:
The slide shown below is a graphical representation of the number and performance of the Draw Context - in short, the "drawing thread" - using Microsoft's sample code . According to it, for example, when the number of Draw (= the number of objects to be drawn) is "1025", the number of Draw Context peaks at "2 to 3", and conversely, even if the number is increased further, the performance drops It is said.
If you set the Draw number to 10 times "10250", the performance will be improved by increasing the Draw Context number, but this time it will be a peak of "7", and it will be seen that the performance does not improve even if it is
increased further.

By the way, Mr. Mitchell compares the number indicated on the slide, " Draw number divided by 300 with the value obtained by subtracting 1 from the (logical) CPU core number , and sets the smaller value as the Draw Context number It is good to use "was presented. However, if Simultaneous Mutli-Threading (SMT) is effective in Ryzen 7 and the number of Draw is sufficiently large, 15 is selected as the number of Draw Contexts, so that maximum performance is not necessarily obtained. Rather, it seems that it is better to suppress the number of Draw Contexts by the number of physical processors -1 .

In addition, Mr.'s explanation is directed to DirectX 12, and it is a different story about DirectX 11 or earlier. However, it is a topic that is consistent with 4 Gamer's past verification results that the performance of the game does not rise so much with not only Ryzen but CPU exceeding 4 cores.
012.jpg

According to Mitchell, Ryzen compatible version of AMD's profiler "CodeXL" will be released within 2 weeks after GDC 2017 is over. As Ryzen seems to be able to analyze in units of instructions, developers interested in it would be nice to check the related pages of GitHub .

I know this is a thread for Ryzen, but has there been any update at all on Vega in the past week?
Just leaks that Videocardz.com is reporting:
https://videocardz.com/67242/amd-vega-with-64-compute-units-spotted
CompuBench database now lists new device ID (687F:C1), which is more commonly known as Vega GPU. This is the same ID we saw back in January during the Doom 4K Ultra demo. The fact that Vega has finally made its way to CompuBench means that we are the very end of the development process. Judging from past OpenCL leaks, we are looking at weeks, rather than months.

Bear in mind OpenCL benchmarks are not representing gaming performance. However, the fact that Vega is already faster than GTX 1080 in such an early stage, is indeed optimistic.

But before we look at the benchmarks, we finally have a ‘proof’ that Vega has 64 Compute Units (64*64 = 4096 Stream Processors). Device specs also list two clock frequencies with a maximum boost clock of 1200 MHz:

Übermatik;231826561 said:
Any solid evidence that Ryzen performs better on Win 7 rather than 10? Or to the contrary?

You'd have to dig around for it, but yeah, there is solid evidence of better performance on Win 7 than Win 10 for Ryzen. It's good evidence that Win 10 needs to be fixed. These sorts of bugs are somewhat inevitable, even for Intel and NVidia with a lot more resources than AMD. My personal recommendation is to wait until a month or two after the release of any major new product to let the kinks get worked out. Admittedly, AMD demands more patience than they should require.

If you have time, I recommend reading through the following threads:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/official-amd-ryzen-benchmarks-reviews-prices-and-discussion.2499879/page-169

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-zen-thread-inc-am4-apu-discussion.18665505/page-670

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624139/official-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-owners-club-4ghz-club/2930

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8654&page=805

Most of these threads are fairly old. A lot of the info in them is speculation prior to the Ryzen release. Ignore that stuff. Maybe go back five or ten pages in each thread and read to the end from there. Also, note that there are bad actors in each and every one of those threads just like there are here. Find the useful data and ignore the noise.

You'd have to dig around for it, but yeah, there is solid evidence of better performance on Win 7 than Win 10 for Ryzen. It's good evidence that Win 10 needs to be fixed. These sorts of bugs are somewhat inevitable, even for Intel and NVidia with a lot more resources than AMD. My personal recommendation is to wait until a month or two after the release of any major new product to let the kinks get worked out. Admittedly, AMD demands more patience than they should require.

If you have time, I recommend reading through the following threads:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/official-amd-ryzen-benchmarks-reviews-prices-and-discussion.2499879/page-169

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-zen-thread-inc-am4-apu-discussion.18665505/page-670

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624139/official-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-owners-club-4ghz-club/2930

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8654&page=805

Most of these threads are fairly old. A lot of the info in them is speculation prior to the Ryzen release. Ignore that stuff. Maybe go back five or ten pages in each thread and read to the end from there. Also, note that there are bad actors in each and every one of those threads just like there are here. Find the useful data and ignore the noise.

Thank for these links, I'll dig through! I honestly prefer Win 7, so this is good(ish?) news for now. Can you get a legit copy of Win 7 anymore?

FAKE EDIT - I'm a bit concerned though, 'cos don't games generally run better on Windows 10?

ethomaz

Banned
Using this one Hitman benchmark to judge Ryzen is like a teacher using the one quiz you flunked to give you your whole class grade. It's an outlier. Cindy Crawford has a mole, did everyone worry about her mole all the time, or did they look at the entire package and say she was beautiful? Outliers get thrown out for a reason.

If you took a large set of benchmarking data and graded on a curve Ryzen would probably get a solid A in productivity and a B+ in gaming. The 7700k would get a solid C in productivity and an A in gaming. Which would you rather have? Playing games will never pay your bills btw, creating them is a different story (also unlikely to pay your bills /s).

My guess is these guys have taken a short position on AMD stock recently or work for people who have. Bad news guys, AMD stock isn't declining from the release shock anymore, cover your positions and find something else to short. Trading stocks will teach you more about why people try to influence public opinion than anything else. I didn't realize how likely it was that there are guerrilla marketers on various forums out there prior to getting into the stock market. After working in a legit industry, making solid money, and getting some business background, I realized that businesses want you to believe they are your friend, but in all reality they are just doing what they do to make a profit. If you aren't helping them make a profit, you aren't relevant to them.

Also, consider that if these guys have cast doubt in your mind they have succeeded in their goal. Why should they want to in the first place though? What motivates anyone to say what they do? Don't trust anyone, do your own research, make your own conclusions, own yourself and your life. Confidence is hard earned, don't let people take it away from you with silly outlier data.

Admittedly, if you're building a Hitman machine, the relevance of the above data becomes significant. But only you can determine what data applies to you.
Are you from AMD?

Serious question because the only think you did in this thread since beginning is marketing Ryzen in games against all solid evidences that it is indeed delivery less being more expensive in games... every time the same wall text.

What you objective lying in a forum where people is instructed enough to see the results for themselves? I really don't understand what you gain with that and yes I already saw most guys are already avoiding to reply to you.

new CPU's aren't supported by Win7
It's dead

Ugh, ok, Win 10 then.

As much as everyone has helped me in this thread and answered questions/engaged in discussion, the lack of objectivity has made it really tough to make decisions and has honestly made things harder for a first time build.

Übermatik;231827361 said:
FAKE EDIT - I'm a bit concerned though, 'cos don't games generally run better on Windows 10?

I'm sure it varies by game. Regardless, if you want to take advantage of DX12, Windows 10 is your only choice.

theultimo

Übermatik;231827883 said:
Ugh, ok, Win 10 then.

As much as everyone has helped me in this thread and answered questions/engaged in discussion, the lack of objectivity has made it really tough to make decisions and has honestly made things harder for a first time build.
I think its a strange situation where a "winner" so to speak isnt really clear cut. Actual competition is good for this, and there really isnt a downside in the long run on either case.

There are positives in both archs, and honestly it all comes down to "what do you do want to do with it, and are aware of certain restrictions"

Its an exciting time for PC development.

Übermatik;231827883 said:
Ugh, ok, Win 10 then.

Honestly, with the way things are in such flux right now and a total lack of reviews on motherboards, it would still be hard to give you advice.

That said, I just found out that Newegg is selling Ryzen CPU + mobo combos for Gigabyte, at the very least, so once things settle down, things might be easier for you.

Are you from AMD?

Serious question because the only think you did in this thread since beginning is marketing Ryzen in games against all solid evidences that it is indeed delivery less being more expensive in games.

What you objective lying in a forum where people is instructed enough to see the results for themselves? I really don't understand what you gain with that and yes I already saw most guys are already avoiding to reply to you.

Are you confused about what I've said in this thread? The vast majority of what I've done is try to get people to ignore posters like you with your hyperbole. I haven't recommended anyone buy anything, I've recommended ignoring people in general more than anything.

AMD has lost me over $10,000 five plus odd years ago. I have an AMD stock position now, I had an Intel stock position for a number of years as well. I have a Microsoft stock position also. I would like to see those companies make me money, but I have absolutely no love for them. I've seen data manipulated and stretched on all sides to sway opinion. I read A LOT of stuff out there because I invest and want to know what's going on, but Neogaf is kinda like dessert, I read it for fun because it's generally more laid back.

My recommendation still stands, buy an old corporate system out of warranty and throw in a cheap GPU if you really are just a gamer. You'll be more financially sound for it and get the most for your money. That doesn't help my stocks at all. Also, I recommend getting into Linux if you can possibly manage it. I have 6 computers in my house, all are Intel machines, I have two servers running a number of virtual machines under CentOS with KVM.

You, however, are not helping anyone here and you keep spouting vitriolic stuff.

Top Bottom