• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Working on an AI-powered FSR

FireFly

The situation with FSR has been a let down really, the idea of it being open meant that they were hoping people would contribute to it and make it better over time but that didn't really happen and the last build update remains at 2.3 and has done for months now, maybe they reached the limit of what could be done without AI? Perhaps and that's why they've changed direction.
Developers have said that FSR is getting updated. The problem is that additions to improve artifacts risk adding to the runtime cost and they need to stay around 2ms, especially on consoles.

Loxus

AMD plans for FSR4 to be fully AI-based — designed to improve quality and maximize power efficiency
We spoke at length with AMD's Jack Huynh, senior vice president and general manager of the Computing and Graphics Business Group, at IFA 2024. Along with deprioritizing flagship gaming GPUs and announcing the intent to create a unified UDNA GPU architecture to take on Nvidia's CUDA, the final major topic that he talked about is FSR4, FidelityFX Super Resolution 4.0. What's particularly interesting is that FSR4 will move to being fully AI-based, and it has already been in development for nearly a year.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

AMD plans for FSR4 to be fully AI-based — designed to improve quality and maximize power efficiency
We spoke at length with AMD's Jack Huynh, senior vice president and general manager of the Computing and Graphics Business Group, at IFA 2024. Along with deprioritizing flagship gaming GPUs and announcing the intent to create a unified UDNA GPU architecture to take on Nvidia's CUDA, the final major topic that he talked about is FSR4, FidelityFX Super Resolution 4.0. What's particularly interesting is that FSR4 will move to being fully AI-based, and it has already been in development for nearly a year.
Sony helped them I take it....

YCoCg

I knew PSSR would pretty much be AMD's AI FSR, Sony have confirmed that they worked with AMD to make it and suddenly AMD announce that they'll be releasing an AI FSR on PC that's been in the works for roughly the same amount of time Sony was working with them.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Finally! I refused to even consider radeons GPUs since 2020 because I knew they simply couldn't match Nvidia hardware with ingrained AI. I can finally consider a GPU without selling my kidney.

winjer

Gold Member
AMD looses the rights to x86 if they ever get bought out. Part of the licensing agreement with Intel.

That agreement would make it very tough.
But remember that Via bough Cyrix 1999. And Intel allowed it.
Though at the time, it probably helped Intel that other companies had an X86 license, to avoid monopoly scrutiny.

winjer

Gold Member
Sony helped them I take it....

You might not realize this, but in the AI space, AMD is second only to Nvidia.
Not only they have a ton of high performance hardware, but also made several acquisition of software companies.
AMD is in a much better position to do AI stuff, than Sony.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
AMD looses the rights to x86 if they ever get bought out. Part of the licensing agreement with Intel.

Yeah not that simple as AMD owns amd64 patents and there is a very complicated deal between intel x86 32bit and amd64.

And to make it even more towards amd's side windows 11 dropped support for 32bit CPUs. So again intel owns x86 but amd owns amd64 ( x86 64bit) which is built off x86 but intels full x86 32bit patents are becoming useless.

Last edited:

Parazels

It's funny, that Switch 2 is going to have AI upscaling, which is unfeasible on more powerful PS5 and Xbox!

Imtjnotu

Not only they have a ton of high performance hardware, but also made several acquisition of software companies.
AMD isn't even ahead of

Google
Amazon
Microsoft
Meta
Adobe
IBM

winjer

Gold Member
AMD isn't even ahead of

Google
Amazon
Microsoft
Meta
Adobe
IBM

Those are in mostly in software, and they buy hardware from Nvidia and AMD.
But you forgot the main point. AMD is in a much better position to make an upscaler with ML, than Sony.

Last edited:

SolidQ

that Switch 2 is going to have AI upscaling
We don't know how it's work on small APU. There is was rumor, it's limited

don't know why he's only in one game tested Nvidia FG vs FSR FG, but seems RTX 4060 AI pretty weak for NV FG

Last edited:

ap_puff

Only in hardware, the problem is AMD hasn't been good at doing software implementation. Sony is really good with image processing (not AMD's wheelhouse), so I imagine it was a collaborative effort.

SolidQ

Only in hardware, the problem is AMD hasn't been good at doing software implementation.
Yeah, Hardware is fine, you see 7900XTX vs 4090 is fine(except 3D maybe need more software optimizations). AMD announced they're going heavily to software. We gonna see it like on 2026+

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Only in hardware, the problem is AMD hasn't been good at doing software implementation. Sony is really good with image processing (not AMD's wheelhouse), so I imagine it was a collaborative effort.

But Sony still hasn't done any temporal upscaler with ML. PSSR will be the first.
And mind you, making one is very difficult. Not many companies have managed to do so.
Only recently are we seeing more companies doing it.
And Intel only managed to do it before everyone else, except nvidia, because they pouched a few engineers that made DLSS2.

Imtjnotu

Those are in mostly in software, and they buy hardware from Nvidia and AMD.
But you forgot the main point. AMD is in a much better position to make an upscaler with ML, than Sony.
sony has been doing ML and AI learning for years now in film and camera space....i dont think sony is a slouch here.....its already been rumored sony helped AMD create this. not the other way around

Top Bottom