• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's gaming revenue nosedives 48%, not expected to recover until 2025

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Not like games are getting better either. Better stock up on that backlog.
Oh, I've been stocking up for years, but I fear it may not be enough... Currently looking at large storage solutions for my personal archive.

Bry0

AMD needs to price their high end cards better. The 7900XTX should have been $800 and the 7900XT should have been $650.

They seem to live in this fantasy world that just because nvidia can charge high prices on their GPU that they can too.

The strategy seems to be to price high and shortly drop the price later. The strategy has not gained them marketshare. So...why not lose a little margin in the short term from the Day 1 buyers and price better and get a lot more potential customers.
I mean at launch the XTX was $200 cheaper than the cheapest 4080 and it had more vram and raster parity (or better) and still barely anybody bought it.
Frankly outside of miraculously dominating a generation with significantly better pricing and performance and a better halo card that makes nvidia look like they slipped, I don’t know what they can do. They need a product so good it flips the market on its head and I don’t think they can do that as long as nvidia doesn’t fumble HARD.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I mean at launch the XTX was $200 cheaper than the cheapest 4080 and it had more vram and raster parity (or better) and still barely anybody bought it.
Frankly outside of miraculously dominating a generation with significantly better pricing and performance and a better halo card that makes nvidia look like they slipped, I don’t know what they can do. They need a product so good it flips the market on its head and I don’t think they can do that as long as nvidia doesn’t fumble HARD.
The 7900XTX was sold for as low as $900 a few months after release. If it could be sold at that price then, it could have been sold at that price at launch.

Lambogenie

2024 is a gap year for everything I swear.

Just save your money because it feels like 2025 and 2026 is where entertainment among other things in general will get busy. Good time to dip into other things.

The solution for AMD is simple, stop trying to form a pricing cartel with fucking Nvidia that has always been a greedy fucking corp and bring back your prices to reasonable levels. AMD GPUs have always been value for money for anyone that doesn't waste their money to buy super expensive graphics cards, that is until the last few years. They deserve this shit
Newsflash, neither AMD nor Nvidia give a shit about gaming graphics cards. Datacenters are where it's at.

Plus, since people are just going to buy Nvidia gaming cards anyways even if AMD offers similar cards in the same performance brackets for cheaper, why wouldn't AMD join in on the milking?

Sonik

Newsflash, neither AMD nor Nvidia give a shit about gaming graphics cards. Datacenters are where it's at.

Plus, since people are just going to buy Nvidia gaming cards anyways even if AMD offers similar cards in the same performance brackets for cheaper, why wouldn't AMD join in on the milking?

I mean it's obviously gotten way worse for them so it seems the milking is backfiring

I mean it's obviously gotten way worse for them so it seems the milking is backfiring
Is it really backfiring when the datacenter market is far more lucrative and has higher profit margins?

Not excusing AMD at all here because screw them for being content with the "just sell for $50 less" strategy, but AMD doesn't really care about gaming cards.

Sonik

Is it really backfiring when the datacenter market is far more lucrative and has higher profit margins?

Not excusing AMD at all here because screw them for being content with the "just sell for $50 less" strategy, but AMD doesn't really care about gaming cards.

If datacenters are so profitable and gaming doesn't matter why are they still even in that market?

If datacenters are so profitable and gaming doesn't matter why are they still even in that market?
Features like Nvidia's RT and tensor cores get passed down from the more lucrative sector to the less lucrative sector. Gaming is a quick buck hobby side hustle in comparison to datacenters.

Sonik

Features like Nvidia's RT and tensor cores get passed down from the more lucrative sector to the less lucrative sector. Gaming is a quick buck hobby side hustle in comparison to datacenters.

My dude, you're acting as if it's OK to fail due to shitty business practices because the particular part of the industry isn't that important, it's a false premise based on assumptions you made out of thin air. If a corporation participates in a particular part of an industry they OBVIOUSLY want to succeed even if it isn't their top priority

My dude, you're acting as if it's OK to fail due to shitty business practices because the particular part of the industry isn't that important, it's a false premise based on assumptions you made out of thin air. If a corporation participates in a particular part of an industry they OBVIOUSLY want to succeed even if it isn't their top priority
Somehow, you saw my point regarding RT and tensor cores being passed down from datacenter to the gaming sector and interpreted that as me acting that it's okay for corporations to fail from bad business practices... when I already bemoaned AMD's practices with its video cards.

Secondly, the YOY increase and absolute revenue from the datacenter sector do not lie. If AMD is to focus the majority of its energy on one sector, it would definitely not be gaming. And considering how Nvidia has a stranglehold on mindshare that even selling significantly cheaper cards don't do much, what incentive is there for AMD to try? Most want AMD to discount their cards not to buy its cards, but to buy Nvidia's cards when it discount in response. Demand is determined by the consumers.

Air your grievances at the appropriate party (and AMD's marketing department).

Top Bottom