• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's new Ryzen 9000 CPUs are reportedly suffering the 'worst launch since Bulldozer'

Draugoth

Gold Member
T9EQrFS8Anhf5NRsBXGSe4-970-80.jpg.webp

Source
Nevertheless, reports are mounting that AMD's latest CPUs are absolutely bombing in the sales charts. The major caveat here is that these reports largely center on individual CPU sales for the DIY market, as opposed to chips going into fully built rigs. And the DIY market is positively puny by comparison.

Still, as a measure of sentiment rather than outright volumes, DIY sales are indicative. And those indications are reportedly bad, as in really bad. According to YouTube channel Hardware Unboxed, the patchy reception of Zen 5 "has had a disastrous effect on sales" in Australia.

Hardware Unboxed also points to sales figures from German etailer Mindfactory. To cut a long story short, Mindfactory's publicly published figures show that Zen 4 sold twice as many units in the first week after its launch two years ago as Zen 5 has managed in an entire month.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Is the tech fatigue real? People being more conscious with their spendings? What's going on? I refuse to believe everyone's just waiting for the X3D variants.
its the economy. People can't pay for their food, and every single bill has increased for us. I just think people are at a point where they are going to just wait and ride out a gen due to pricing, performance..

Rosoboy19

its the economy. People can't pay for their food, and every single bill has increased for us. I just think people are at a point where they are going to just wait and ride out a gen due to pricing, performance..
This is reasonable. My son’s Ryzen 5600 / RTX 2060 12gb pc can still game just fine at 1080p on most titles. Granted, it’s not ultra settings or path tracing, but these are first world wants, not needs to enjoy the hobby.

Trogdor1123

I think the initial performance being just a minor step, the issues with the tech and all the patches, and everything else around them certainly didn’t help either. There feels like lots of uncertainty around tech right now.

This is also true.

Whilst tech companies and CEOs are recording record profits, the average Joe is not in a position to spend a further £400 on a 5-10% upgrade compared to last gen.

Bojji

Is the tech fatigue real? People being more conscious with their spendings? What's going on? I refuse to believe everyone's just waiting for the X3D variants.

No one wants it because there is almost 0% uplift in performance (like 2% average in 40 games). This CPU doesn't make any sense especially that 7800x3d is much faster, pointless product.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
With as little of an actual performance upgrade as this gen offers I can't say I'm surprised. My interest came and completely went away with the release benchmarks...

AMD CPU fans got a far more substantial framerate boost from MS than they did from AMD.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There's no need to release these damn things every year. They have also gone up in price and you can just buy an old generation and get literally 90-98% of the performance for a fraction of the price. They can't get meaningful improvements without jacking up the wattage anyway. This is just dumb.

FingerBang

Until the 9800X3D version releases.
At this point, it's a big maybe for the x3D. I expect some performance improvement (there were rumors these would be overclockable), but I don't think we'll see a 25-30% jump from the ZEN4x3D.

I'm probably going to jump this gen and stick to my 7950X3D, but happy to be proven wrong.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Fans have spoken. They want something more at launch. A mistep but nothing that will break their momentum. Just reminds people not to upgrade yet unless they are building new and it makes sense. I'm waiting to upgrade when the next X3D parts come.

Mr Moose

They are good for keeping the electric bills down, but if you already have a good CPU then you don't really need one so its not really surprising.

Bitstream

The performance uplift this time around is on power usage, delivering similar results to last gens at a lower wattage. Anyone with a solid PC already doesn't have much to gain by updating, and the cost of the upgrade will outweigh the power savings. Getting comparable performance at a lower wattage makes them more efficient, which is a definite plus, but tech enthusiasts don't buy gear because it's power efficient.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

For vast majority, what was even the purpose to upgrade from AM4 to AM5 ? 5800X3D still holds up so well, hell, 5700X3D entered the arena too. Forget 1080p CPU benchmarks for a minute, when you up the resolution it almost all ends up the same anyway except a few cases.

And why would peoples buy the non X3D nowadays after seeing how good they are? I feel AMD shot themselves in the foot with the non 3D version.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I believe we have Mobile devices to blame honestly. Executives saw that users are willing to pay 1K plus for small spec bumps year over year, and they are not pushing as hard with upgrades. if your not getting 50% increase in CPU speeds year over year than you don't need to release a new CPU.

Schnauzer

I believe we have Mobile devices to blame honestly. Executives saw that users are willing to pay 1K plus for small spec bumps year over year, and they are not pushing as hard with upgrades. if your not getting 50% increase in CPU speeds year over year than you don't need to release a new CPU.
I think the CPU market is just fumbling.

Intel created some bad company culture that has negatively affected them over the years. There is no way Intel (a bleeding edge company) would allow AMD to have better performance if they had something ready. Intel is in bad shape, they know this isn't the mobile market. They were just so far ahead; it took a while for the things they were doing to catch up to them.

AMD needs to change how they launch CPUs. Gamers are usually (myself included) the first to update. The general audience prefers to wait until they know all their options. We are no longer in pandemic price gouging territory where you can get away with these staggered launches. Gamers with money will only buy 3D chips, and the rest of the world will wait. With Intel 13/14K issues, AMD really had the opportunity to take market share. Something tells me they believed these chips would perform better than they did. This was the time to really gain market share. They fumbled.

Puscifer

My electric bills have doubled in the past year and I got a pay raise and the extra 200 a month basically makes up for the increase in gas and electric. I still make decent cash but fuck dude there has to be a break somewhere

How is this possible? Small performance improvements + Higher prices (in comparison to the previous lineup) That has amazing sales written all over it.

kevboard

on the gaming market they basically gave customers the clear signal to not buy these as X3D variants will releasd later and will beat all of them in gaming workloads.

they should maybe not have such a staggered release

diffusionx

Gold Member
Realistically how many people are upgrading their phones annually?

ap_puff

So what's the problem with these CPUs? Are they coming broken or something?
they are coming in a little hot (for example there was a pretty big bug with inter-ccd latencies that just got fixed). but the main issue is that this gen was aimed at server applications where it has showed something like a +20% gen on gen increase in performance, which is solid. but there has been basically 0 gaming performance improvement which is what the majority of the regular market cares about.

LordCBH

A mix of the 7000’s are good enough for most people + people just don’t have any fucking spare money right now. Hey AMD, who could have foreseen that?!

Kataploom

Gold Member
they are coming in a little hot (for example there was a pretty big bug with inter-ccd latencies that just got fixed). but the main issue is that this gen was aimed at server applications where it has showed something like a +20% gen on gen increase in performance, which is solid. but there has been basically 0 gaming performance improvement which is what the majority of the regular market cares about.
I have a 5600X and want to build a mITX one, I guess a 7600X will be more than enough then

hinch7

Pointless release and not worth buying for 7000 series owners. And too expensive for basically no performance uplift. I'm not sure what AMD are/were expecting,

Should've matched or come close to current 7000 series pricing and launched X3D's along side them - even add some premium on there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom