• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Commando Killed in Yemen in Trump’s First Counterterror Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any evidence that its actually his fault?
I mean sure, as Commander in Chief he ultimately is responsible, but could this have happened just as well to Obama?

kmag

I can only shudder at the thought of Trump having to make a phone call to the family. He'll probably end it talking about his massive hand, the massive crowds or trying to sell them a condo.

Isotropy

This whole Yemen scenario sounds like a big disaster.

I'm just saying, we all have the right to know what happened in Yemen. Trump has blood on his hands - he's let American service people die! In Yemen! They needed his help in Yemen, and now they're dead. Justice for what happened in Yemen!

Yemen!

#yemen

Anion

Regardless of it being Trumps fault or whatever, I will blame him. The same way how the Republican Party was blaming Obama for anything happening under his presidency

If he approved something with a low chance of success without casualty?

Do we have info on the percentages of success for this specific operation?
RIP to the commando. Seems they claim that it is to get info on future plots.
An estimated 14 Qaeda fighters were killed in the raid, which led to “the capture of information that will likely provide insight into the planning of future terror plots,” the statement said.

Weckum

About 40 people died (high estimates, some say about two dozen died).

NY Times reports:

An estimated 14 Qaeda fighters were killed in the raid, which led to ”the capture of information that will likely provide insight into the planning of future terror plots," the statement said.

There are rumors Anwar Al-Awlaki's 8 year old daughter died as well.

A local Yemeni official had reported that the raid left 41 suspected Al-Qaeda militants and 16 civilians dead, among them eight women and eight children.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-raid-...s-073853092.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Fuck this.

Yemen is such a mess, I feel so bad for the people there.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I can only shudder at the thought of Trump having to make a phone call to the family. He'll probably end it talking about his massive hand, the massive crowds or trying to sell them a condo.

sorry for your loss but your sons funeral wont have as many people attend as my inauguration
SAD!

"Sir and Ma'am, I have some bad news for you, but not of my inauguration crowds, because they were tremendous and the largest ever, lots of love at the CIA..."

mAcOdIn

Nobody ever should give up his/her life following this man's orders :mad:
That's a tad naive, Trump likely did not recon, conceive and plan the mission, it was probably thought up and proposed by actual military and intelligence people and merely presented to him. Even if he's going to be the worst President ever that doesn't mean everyone under him should do nothing for four years.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure Trump only honors those who weren't captured or killed.

And even then he'll probably ask them why they weren't captured or killed during their mission.

I think Donald Trump has a hard time thinking of reasons to genuinely honor anyone else who isn't named Donald Trump.

I thought the Houthis were the problem in Yemen, and that Al Qaeda was actually sort of on our side against the Houthis. Did something change, or did Trump change our priorities there?

zelas

I mean sure, as Commander in Chief he ultimately is responsible, but could this have happened just as well to Obama?
It could happen to any President personally approving the use of Commandos over airstrikes in counter terrorism operations.

In certain situations it's the President's responsibility to have the people he puts in power to provide him with accurate details of a situation so the President can make a judgement call.

What if his administration is doing their job and they say risks are higher than average and he greenlights it anyway? Beyond that, what if he's mandated a certain level of agressiveness with special operations across the board? What if he actually didn't name the "best" people for the job? Unless someone is going rogue, everyone is acting under the agenda he's set. This blood is on his hands.

gaugebozo

This whole Yemen scenario sounds like a big disaster.

I'm just saying, we all have the right to know what happened in Yemen. Trump has blood on his hands - he's let American service people die! In Yemen! They needed his help in Yemen, and now they're dead. Justice for what happened in Yemen!

Yemen!

#yemen
I heard they asked for help and the White House told helpers to, "Stand down. Bigly."

Dai Kaiju

So they didn't even capture anyone? What kinda Intel are they hoping to gain then? Just use a damn drone if all you want to do is kill people.

The thin skin attitude of defending against allegations nobody made.

Maybe the crime rate will go down when Trump is in office but if it doesn't than it's probably not his fault and it would have gone up under Obama as well.

The thin skin attitude of defending against allegations nobody made.

The article specifically stated that its the first operation he oversaw.
Just the way you read it, you make the connection between the failure and Trump.

Now more than ever we need to be fair. Otherwise we just give the right more ammunition.
Remember the story about the MLK bust in the oval office? This small thing gave Spicer and Convey something to deflect whenever confronted with Trumps lies about crowed size etc.
In every single interview (except Tapper/Convey, the infamous "alternative facts" one) they managed to make it look like "both sides aren't perfect", just because of the bust thing.

I know the temptation to bash Trump at every opportunity is there, but its not the way to go.

Anon67

Regardless of it being Trumps fault or whatever, I will blame him. The same way how the Republican Party was blaming Obama for anything happening under his presidency

We shouldn't lower ourselves and drop down to their level. We shouldn't strive to act like the GOP at all, in fact.

WinFonda

Seems tho there's a good chance this is an op that Obama had on the table but wouldn't approve, so military ran it by Trump's admin.

A: soldiers die. It is a sad fact that his little to do with who is President at the time.

B: This was likely not the first operation greenlit by Trump, just the first that they have disclosed.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
We shouldn't lower ourselves and drop down to their level. We shouldn't strive to act like the GOP at all, in fact.

Thats not about lowering oneself. Thats reality. If something happens the current President gets attached to it. Its not fair sometimes but its how its always worked during my lifetime at least.

Goodstyle

Ya, I'm not going to blame Trump for everything that goes wrong in combat, but if Hillary was in charge here every Conservative in this country would demand endless hearings on her involvement.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Poor Yemen, another Syria like situation where everyone with guns is a piece of shit and the only actual good guys are the ones trying to flee this mess. A mess that rages on thanks to Iran and Saudi Arabia's never ending bullshit with each other.

Steel

Banned
Ya, I'm not going to blame Trump for everything that goes wrong in combat, but if Hillary was in charge here every Conservative in this country would demand endless hearings on her involvement.

About my opinion on the matter. The double standard is real.

Still, thinking about Trump making phone calls to the families just... Ugh.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Is the US fighting Al-Qaeda in Yemen or helping the Saudis fight the Shiite Houthis?

UberTag

Thats not about lowering oneself. Thats reality. If something happens the current President gets attached to it. Its not fair sometimes but its how its always worked during my lifetime at least.
I think the biggest difference with this particular incident versus others is that most presidents are afforded the benefit of the doubt about this kind of stuff early on in their administrations because they've exercised some modicum of good judgment.

Whereas Trump has exercised questionable judgment at best with almost all of his decisions and policy-making, hence if a commando mission goes south and American soldiers and innocent women and children die, it's going to be normal to second guess it. Especially when you know this administration will happily lie on just about anything. They would tell us that they acquired ”the capture of information that will likely provide insight into the planning of future terror plots" whether they found a bunch of Al Qaeda elites planning an attack on a highly-populated Western landmark or a bunch of civvies doing nothing but living their day-to-day lives in peace.

When you show so little regard for facts, all of your decisions are going to be doubted and scrutinized.

Beartruck

"In a fair fight id kill you."
"Thats not much incentive for me to fight fair."

If we take the high road we'll always lose to the side that stoops to skullduggery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom