• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamfMeat

Once before, right? I don't think it was "all those others" I think it was once.

Endangered is a term with a specific meaning.

I have a significant problem with baiting. And these guided hunts in general. This actually sounds like a more "adventurous" one. I know a guy who basically shoots giraffes in pens. It's pathetic.

The facts are not debatable though. We know that he shot and cut this animals head off. As far as I'm to understand, this isn't up for debate. There is photographic evidence of this.

From that we can deduce that he shot a protected animal, right? So which part isn't clear to you? Which part are we supposed to be waiting for clarity on?

eznark

Banned
The facts are not debatable though. We know that he shot and cut this animals head off. As far as I'm to understand, this isn't up for debate. There is photographic evidence of this.

From that we can deduce that he shot a protected animal, right? So which part isn't clear to you? Which part are we supposed to be waiting for clarity on?

I haven't seen anywhere that this lion was protected. They are being charged with poaching, i.e. not having a permit to hunt a lion on that property. Killing the lion wasn't the problem as far as Zimbabwe is concerned, killing it without paying the stamp tax was the problem.

Blader

I get the illegality and endangered part. And I agree with you but I don't think it justifies people saying that he should be hunted or killed especially when animals are killed in horrific ways every day to put food on our plates. I find it a bit hypocritical to get morally outraged over this but then freely kill other living creatures on some superficial basis.

Killing farm-raised animals for food vs. illegally killing endangered (sorry sorry, nearly endangered) animals purely for sport is a superficial distinction to you?

I mean, no one's going to argue the horrific conditions that animals are often put through to feed people, but even still. The difference between the two couldn't be more important.

Dizzy

Banned
What a piece of shit. Paying all that money to kill a specific Lion just for some kind of bullshit pride. I don't even see the pride, not like the Lion ever had a chance.

I hope they ruin his life and career. Seems the internet mob is already working on trying to damage his business.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I haven't seen anywhere that this lion was protected. They are being charged with poaching, i.e. not having a permit to hunt a lion on that property. Killing the lion wasn't the problem as far as Zimbabwe is concerned, killing it without paying the stamp tax was the problem.

There's a chance Zimbabwe wouldn't have allowed it anyways, at least for this famous lion.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The argument for these exotic hunts are usually,

"The animal is old and no longer has sex, the meat is going to fead all these poor black people! See, I'm helping!"

It's stupid.

Not to mention that one lion was probably generating millions in tourism, and now some dickwad dentist killed him for $55k.

I don't get how anyone could pose, grinning, as they stand next to a dead animal and think that it's a happy moment or a moment deserving of anything but digust. It's a sickening image and I simply can't understand the logic behind.

Lakitu

st5fu
I missed the part where he decapitated the lion. I feel so fucking sad especially after watching that Youtube clip. I hope they punish this fucker really bad, he needs prison time.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The issue is the safari team luring the lion from the preservation area before shooting it. That in itself is highly illegal and should be prosecuted as such.

He had a permit to hunt big game, not one that was nationally protected.

Yea, but he will claim ignorance. "I didn't know, the guide said it's an old lion, it's fine, we were not on the reservation." It's happened before.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

"A professional hunter and a farm owner face poaching charges for allegedly hunting a protected lion known as Cecil,"

The lion WAS protected, he was part of a conservation experiment at Oxford, and was wearing a special tracking collar, that the poachers tried to destroy. You know for a guy who keeps saying that people should wait for facts, you sure are good at ignoring them.

6238025975_b358d05f36.jpg

When I was young and just a bad little kid
My momma noticed funny things I did
Like shootin' puppies with a B B gun
I'd poison guppies, and when I was done
I'd find a pussy cat and bash its head
That's when my momma said
(What did she say?)
She said "My boy, I think someday
You'll find a way to make your natural tendencies pay"

You'll be a dentist
(Be a dentist)
You have a talent for causing things pain
(Pain)
Son, be a dentist
(Son, be a dentist)
People will pay you to be inhumane
(Inhumane)

Your temperament's wrong for the priesthood
And teaching would suit you still less
Son, be a dentist you'll be a success

Article via CNN said:
Researchers at Oxford University expressed grief at the lion's death and at the news that, for one reason or another, he had wandered away from the protection of the national park in Zimbabwe.

Within that park, he was a protected animal. He was lured and killed.

You're trolling right? nearly every report has refereed to Cecil being a protected lion, kept in a protected reserve

HeySeuss

I just saw on my Facebook feed that he's shut down his dental practice. Not sure if its true though.

Bah...just for the day. Not permanently. My apologies.

eznark

Banned
"A professional hunter and a farm owner face poaching charges for allegedly hunting a protected lion known as Cecil,"

The lion WAS protected, he was part of a conservation experiment at Oxford, and was wearing a special tracking collar, that the poachers tried to destroy. You know for a guy who keeps saying that people should wait for facts, you sure are good at ignoring them.

I read that as in he was protected via location, not via identity. I.E. protected while on non-hunting grounds. If he wanders onto huntable land though, I can't see how the onus would be on the hunter to know one lion from another. Destroying the collar should be a crime regardless, however.

It's odd that they weren't charged with baiting.

Piggus

lol I love that excuse

Just because you don't understand something or know jack shit about hunting doesn't mean the realities of it are an "excuse."

There is no excuse for poaching it's pathetic. Lumping hunters in with poachers just makes you look like an idiot.

popeutlal

Has there been a study done that shows the more money you make the less empathy you have?

There are so many stories of rich people being assholes all over the planet.

once a criminal always a criminal by default.

no, but the evidence here is damning, and this situation mirrors something hes already done, its his MO.

why are the luring the lion out of the protected zone and smashing the GPS collar for something they supposedly (according to him) allowed to hunt?

I'm outraged at this blatant disregard for the autonomy of such amazing animals, our majestic cousins. They should put this guy in prison. *takes giant chomp out of baconator*

That's not even the same thing, idiot.

He killed it illegally.

If done legally where the proceeds would have gone to preservations of the reserve and the animals then I would have absolutely no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom