• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Medical Association declares obesity 'a disease'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

The largest association of doctors in the US has voted to change its definition of obesity, in a move that could catalyze major changes in insurance coverage, research funding, and public perception of the condition.

In a vote held yesterday by the American Medical Association (AMA) at their annual conference, association delegates agreed that obesity — primarily characterized by a body mass index above 30 — ought to be treated as "a disease, requiring a range of medical interventions." Research increasingly indicates, as the AMA noted, that obesity is a complex condition whose causative factors — like genetics or environment — are often beyond an individual's control. Previously, the AMA and other medical organizations had all defined obesity as a "major public health problem."

While this new definition isn't legally binding, the AMA's vast influence means that it might very well transform how physicians, legislators and insurance companies address weight loss among those deemed obese. Doctors may be more likely to counsel obese patients on weight loss options, and surgical procedures to promote weight loss, like lap band or gastric bypass, might be covered more comprehensively by health insurance companies. The decision could also see more research dollars allocated to novel pharmaceutical or surgical options.

"[Obesity] is a driver of much suffering, ill health and earlier mortality, and people affected are too often subject to enormous societal stigma and discrimination," said Theodore Kyle, advocacy chair of The Obesity Society, in a statement applauding the decision. "This vital recognition of obesity as a disease can help to ensure more resources are dedicated to needed research, prevention and treatment."

But the AMA decision isn't without controversy. In fact, Tuesday's vote diverges from earlier advice by an AMA panel, whose members warned that classifying obesity as a disease threatened to promote an over-reliance on medication and surgery, rather than lifestyle interventions. That panel also noted that the BMI, which is the key metric to determine obesity, carries significant flaws. Most notably, plenty of people with a BMI above 30 are, in fact, perfectly healthy. "Given the existing limitations of BMI to diagnose obesity in clinical practice, it is unclear that recognizing obesity as a disease, as opposed to a ‘condition' or ‘disorder,' will result in improved health outcomes," the panel noted earlier this year.

slit

Basically, lap band surgery has become reliable enough that it's a new way to fill their wallets.

Which really isn't a solution long term. You have to learn how to eat, otherwise when your stomach stretches back out a lot of people will go back to their bad habbits.

ToxicAdam

Which really isn't a solution long term. You have to learn how to eat, otherwise when your stomach stretches back out a lot of people will go back to their bad habbits.

Not to mention that many people overeat to combat depression and anxiety. So, if they never fix that problem, they will just seek other ways to self-medicate.

Although, they do go through psychological exams before the surgery. So, maybe they catch that problem during the pre-exam.

News at 11

How was this NOT a disease before?

That panel also noted that the BMI, which is the key metric to determine obesity, carries significant flaws. Most notably, plenty of people with a BMI above 30 are, in fact, perfectly healthy. "Given the existing limitations of BMI to diagnose obesity in clinical practice, it is unclear that recognizing obesity as a disease, as opposed to a ‘condition' or ‘disorder,' will result in improved health outcomes," the panel noted earlier this year.

I don't think it should be a disease. It's more of a condition imo.

GulAtiCa

That panel also noted that the BMI, which is the key metric to determine obesity, carries significant flaws. Most notably, plenty of people with a BMI above 30 are, in fact, perfectly healthy.

No kidding!... I'm 6 feet 1 inches, 27 years old, and 225 lb. My BMI says 29 (just shy of obese). Yet I am actually quite in shape and basically skinny. What idiot came up with the BMI?

This part seems most noteworthy:
But the AMA decision isn't without controversy. In fact, Tuesday's vote diverges from earlier advice by an AMA panel, whose members warned that classifying obesity as a disease threatened to promote an over-reliance on medication and surgery, rather than lifestyle interventions. That panel also noted that the BMI, which is the key metric to determine obesity, carries significant flaws. Most notably, plenty of people with a BMI above 30 are, in fact, perfectly healthy. "Given the existing limitations of BMI to diagnose obesity in clinical practice, it is unclear that recognizing obesity as a disease, as opposed to a ‘condition' or ‘disorder,' will result in improved health outcomes," the panel noted earlier this year.

BMI is pretty rubbish when it comes down to individuals. Not that more surgical procedures or medications can't be useful but its tiresome to see so many people rush to those quick fixes and not make serious attempts at lifestyle changes first.

Fantasmo

Would be nice if the approach became bottom up, rather than top down. Learning how to eat healthy, integrate exercise, motivation, etc.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can see where it becomes too much of a problem and uncontrollable, so then it becomes a disease. I think a lot of parents are to blame when they keep feeding and feeding their kids. Not even when they're hungry. They give them food just because they can. Stop feeding them fried foods at such a young age and limit their sugar. Kids don't need adult sized serving sweets like cookies. When they only eat a child sized portion at dinner.

I think they look at video games and other forms of media as some means to only distract them for going outside. I played sports when I was a kid and played a ton of video games. This battle will never be won.

I can't even... what?

How is it a disease, how many obese people actually have some kind of glandular problem that causes them to gain weight or waterweight no matter if they eat properly?

Matugi

I don't know about this. Disease to me always carries the connotation of the patient holding little to no fault and such. I would label it more along the lines of a mental condition, similar to anorexia; that being that the patient understands that his or her lifestyle is what has caused it and that with counseling, proper nutrition, and exercise they can right the ship. This smells like a cop out for the obesity epidemic we face and shifting the blame when it's really our culture that is at fault.

Quackula

No kidding!... I'm 6 feet 1 inches, 27 years old, and 225 lb. My BMI says 29 (just shy of obese). Yet I am actually quite in shape and basically skinny. What idiot came up with the BMI?

BMI was actually made for sociological studies.

Weight alone also isn't a very reliable indicator of overall health.

RedShift

I just don't believe it is based on genetics at all. Unless humans have evolved to be fat in the last 40 years, which I find hard to believe. It's so obviously down to an increase in fast food, a decrease in cooking skills, less physical exercise and the whole idea of 'going on a diet', which implies you eventually get to stop dieting rather than changing your diet for the rest of your life.

All this is going to lead to is people resorting to getting potentially dangerous surgery or medication rather than making some basic lifestyle changes.

Matugi

Same. I'm 5'6, 150 lbs and I have a BMI of 27-28 but I can run a mile in under 6:30 and bench press 275 pounds and have a body fat of about 14.5%

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I don't think it should be a disease. It's more of a condition imo.

Imo if it needs treatment, it's a disease. A drug addict is not "sick" per se, but he needs medical treatment just as well. I'd call it a disease as well, but I know many will disagree.

it's not a disease, its from unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercise and the processed food we consune.

Many people won't be able to help themselves though and need medical attention. As I said before, that would count as a disease in my opinion, but I can see why you would disagree.

Because BMI was created as a statistic to be used across populations, not for individuals.

The problem is that other indicators (Body Fat %, for instance) are not easy or cheap to measure. So people use BMI because it seems like it works for a large section of the population.

slit

I can't even... what?

How is it a disease, how many obese people actually have some kind of glandular problem that causes them to gain weight or waterweight no matter if they eat properly?

Because there could be underlying psycological issues as well.

What you're suggesting is the same as saying. "Well Bulimia isn't a disease because people could just stop throwing up."

Matugi

Imo if it needs treatment, it's a disease. A drug addict is not "sick" per se, but he needs medical treatment just as well. I'd call it a disease as well, but I know many will disagree.

Many people won't be able to help themselves though and need medical attention. As I said before, that would count as a disease in my opinion, but I can see why you would disagree.

A lot of it has to do with the connotation that "disease" carries. Like I said before I think of disease as something caused by an outside agent such as a virus, genetic mutation, etc. Alcoholism and anorexia I don't see as diseases; I see them as mental illnesses that can be treated through psychotherapy and the patient can resume living a healthy lifestyle if treatment is a success. No amount of drugs or surgeries will cure said individuals.

Guevara

This may be the right diagnosis but it feel like it's just asking to be abused. I'm not fat, I have a disease, etc.

Agreed. I'm obese now but when I was in the Marines I was considered overweight. I was 6"1" and weighed 210 lbs. I was physically the fittest I had ever been. Unfortunately, the way they checked BMI put me into the overweight category. It's a ridiculously flawed indicator.

This may be the right diagnosis but it feel like it's just asking to be abused. I'm not fat, I have a disease, etc.

This is the issue.

I've been obese before. It wasn't because of a psychological or inherited disease. I was a dumbass that ate/drank too much and didn't exercise for no reason other than I just was being careless.

I have no problem with obesity being characterized as such, but I too think it needs to be taken seriously as a diagnosis and not just thrown around casually by everyone struggling with weight issues.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I'm on board with not a disease. Sure there are people more prone to being overweight and I'm definitely one of those people. Doesn't mean it's justified. You should fight to stay healthy, even if your DNA makes it a bit tougher. Eat healthier, exercise. It's really simple. I was 5'9" 191 lbs at my worst. Could've easily just said oh sucks my metabolism is slow, and got fatter and fatter. But no, I fought and ate smart, and now hover around 165.

pompidu

I consider a disease an abonormal biological process happening in your body. Being fat is not abnormal but there of course is exceptions to the rule.

While Obesity does fall under the definition of a disease I think this is a bad idea. People will use this as an excuse for their weight. It's sad really. I'm an overweight person (although I'm down 46 pounds so far this year) and frankly the whole anti-body shaming/chubby pride movement bullshit is cringe inducing to me.

Matugi

I'm an overweight person (although I'm down 46 pounds so far this year) and frankly the whole anti-body shaming/chubby pride movement bullshit is cringe inducing to me.

Good for you, man (woman?). And I'm glad you can see through that shit that is fat shaming, too.

I consider a disease an abonormal biological process happening in your body. Being fat is not abnormal but there of course is exceptions to the rule.

I'd say that the abnormal biological process is eating to much and thinking its a good idea. Americans have constantly shown that a life style change is simply it of their grasp, so even though diet and exercise is always the best option, is time to call a spade a spade: Americans are too fat and medical intervention is needed.

Burt

I'm not a fan of the terminology, but if it leads to more people getting help and becoming aware of their issue, I'm all for it. People are gonna start using it as a cop out, not that they weren't before, but now that it's officially a disease we can end that argument and unequivocally say that it's a treatable disease. If you're walking around with obesity it's like walking around with syphilis: it's your own damn fault for not getting it treated.

Was that too fatshamey?

ronito

While Obesity does fall under the definition of a disease I think this is a bad idea. People will use this as an excuse for their weight. It's sad really. I'm an overweight person (although I'm down 46 pounds so far this year) and frankly the whole anti-body shaming/chubby pride movement bullshit is cringe inducing to me.

I get that people that lose weight tend to look down at people that are overweight. But having those close to me that are overweight due to medications and health problems I hate to see the abundance of fat shaming. Fact is just by looking at someone you can't tell if they're overweight because they eat like a pig or because they have actual health reasons that make it difficult for them to lose weight.

Sure, people shouldn't be like "I just ate two whole pies. Don't judge me!" But at the same time I don't think people should be like "What? And excuse these fat pigs?" Which is the general sentiment.

pompidu

its ripe for abuse by obese people who are just looking for a quick fix and hospitals looking to pad their wallet. all this does is just reinforcing very bad habits.

Burger

Eating too much cake is a disease?

I thought a disease was a abnormal function of a part of the human body? I suppose it can apply to a disorder to a group of people, but it sounds wrong.

It sounds like something you are afflicted with, as opposed to something you inflict upon yourself.

rififi

I don't know about this. Disease to me always carries the connotation of the patient holding little to no fault and such. I would label it more along the lines of a mental condition, similar to anorexia; that being that the patient understands that his or her lifestyle is what has caused it and that with counseling, proper nutrition, and exercise they can right the ship. This smells like a cop out for the obesity epidemic we face and shifting the blame when it's really our culture that is at fault.

I definitely agree on your last point, but many diseases are the fault of the patient due to poor lifestyle choices - ie smoking causing lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, etc. Obesity is no different as it is usually the result of poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyle.

However, obesity could be classified as a syndrome as there are many physiological changes that the body undergoes. Hopefully that does not undermine the fact that it is caused by lifestyle choices - but it most likely will, as no one ever wants to blame themselves for their problems.

Also, for obesity associated with psychological illnesses, obesity can be considered as a symptom of the underlying issue, not a disease in itself.

I'd say that the abnormal biological process is eating to much and thinking its a good idea. Americans have constantly shown that a life style change is simply it of their grasp, so even though diet and exercise is always the best option, is time to call a spade a spade: Americans are too fat and medical intervention is needed.

This is just simply not true for everyone that is fat. I do think it is true for the majority though.

I get that people that lose weight tend to look down at people that are overweight. But having those close to me that are overweight due to medications and health problems I hate to see the abundance of fat shaming. Fact is just by looking at someone you can't tell if they're overweight because they eat like a pig or because they have actual health reasons that make it difficult for them to lose weight.

Sure, people shouldn't be like "I just ate two whole pies. Don't judge me!" But at the same time I don't think people should be like "What? And excuse these fat pigs?" Which is the general sentiment.

My real issue is with the growing trend in people who act as if being overweight is something to be proud of and that they aren't putting their bodies and health at risk by being overweight. I understand that for some people their weight may be out of their own control but most people I know who are fat are fat because they eat too much and rarely exercise. If anything we should be upset that this is giving certain people who aren't fat due to legitimate health reasons an excuse to justify their weight.

Burger

This is just simply not true for everyone that is fat. I do think it is true for the majority though.

How? If you eat more then you burn you will put on weight right? If you reverse the equation you will loose weight. Is it not as simple as that?

Grym

can't wait for the new call-in-sick-to-work messages:

"I won't be in today, I'm feeling a little heavy"

To me obesity isn't a disease. It is a symptom. In some cases it is the symptom of an underlying disease - like a thyroid condition or psychological issue resulting in obesity. In a majority of cases though, it is merely the symptom of bad food/exercise/nutrition choices and a wholly modifiable condition. But in neither case is it a disease unto itself.

Some people need help, and if this does anything to help people that struggle with Obesity then I'm all for it. People worried about overweight people making it an excuse are ridiculous. They didn't need an excuse before, so what is this going to change?

I agree 100%. As I've said before, I genuinely feel bad for people with glandular problems, thyroid issues, stomach issues etc. But if 100 million Americans are obese, even being extremely charitable and saying 50% of these people have legitimate issues, that still leaves 50 million people with a much lesser excuse. I'm not ignorant of societal issues and being reared by fatty patents and friends obviously leading to obesity. But the people who CAN change haven't been doing so. Its time to throw in the towel and just get some surgeries because clearly they can't do it on their own

Quackula

If a BMI of 30 or more = Obese, and we're using that in our statistics, then I think our statistics are pretty skewed. Many people with a high BMI (of 30 or more) are actually quite healthy, and many people with a low BMI have numerous health issues. We need a better metric for this.

Weight alone is not a reliable indicator of overall health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom