• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American National Election Study: Racism motivated Trump voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Racism was pretty obviously a huge component of the election, even though many people tried to deny. Just look at the surge of all the fucking neo nazis and bigots proudly gathering and doing Heil Hitler poses everywhere now. It's sickening. Fuck these people.

Interesting that data showed that wealthy people actually didn't like trump, and more poor people did. I want to say that's a division of education levels. Only fucking morons voted for Trump.
Once you control for racism the education gap vanishes.

More educated people are just exposed to more stuff that might change their views.

I want to disagree with this. It's more complex than that.

There are otherwise intellectually proficient people who still rely on feelings and familiarity more than anything that may cause them pain or uncertainty.

Correct. It's a big mistake to think of them as dumb. They're not. Nor are they less educated as a whole (data suggests they are very slightly less educated, on the whole, than Democrats...well within the margin of error on the studies I've seen, IIRC).

But intelligent people can have emotional blind spots that trump (pun intended) their intellect. And that seems to be rampant among Republican voters.

But Obama won twice and it is literally impossible for someone to both be racist and have voted for Obama. It is like squaring a circle.

That's not true. A shitload of people I know who voted Trump voted for Obama.

You can be a racist and still have voted for Obama, believe it or not.

Because we were destroyed from an electoral college perspective. We've neglected our rural states hardcore, and it's created a situation where the liberal vote is concentrated. There are decades of work to do to reverse that in rural areas. We have a big problem when our rural citizens won't be able to get the support they need because of the flight of younger people.

If you read through my post history I consistently have talked about changing message delivery without changing the message, as well as advocating for a 50 state strategy, and frankly I take it one step further and I think there is a big need for a local strategy within each state. Senator Sanders also takes a very similar position regarding message delivery.

I used the example of Senator Obama because it shows an example of how those lines are blended.

If we look purely at electoral votes, yes, we were destroyed, but if you look at the breakdown of key battleground states the actual margins were incredibly small. I wasn't talking about pure numbers of votes, since Clinton obviously had a few million more, I'm talking about the deciding number of votes in each state/district.

And your point about " We have a big problem when our rural citizens won't be able to get the support they need because of the flight of younger people." seems to assume liberal policies only affect those in urban centers, when there are a large range of social welfare policies that affect people in rural areas just as much. The problem isn't the flight of young people, it's older people voting against their best interests. Messaging is an aspect of that, but even with the proper messaging the strong issue is they've basically been indoctrinated by conservative talk radio, which is essentially propaganda for the right. I'm not sure if messaging can overcome that. In fact, I'd say go as far as saying Bush colossally fucking up was just as big a factor as Obama's messaging. I think people react more to things going badly than things going well.

That's not true. A shitload of people I know who voted Trump voted for Obama.

You can be a racist and still have voted for Obama, believe it or not.

I'm like 100% sure he was being sarcastic

Arkage

Banned

I briefly skimmed. This is a weird study. For example:

Moreover, our analysis indicates that [feelings toward racial diversity] had a stronger effect on vote switchers than any other variable, including racial resentment and attitudes towards immigration.

How one can cleanly parse racial resentment, immigration, and diversity into three distinct categories is beyond me, but I may read more in-depth later. This study also mostly focuses on the vote-switchers between parties, or "middle America" as it were. It doesn't seem to address what in Trumps message traditional conservatives found appealing, but rather the characteristics of those who switch votes.

Additionally, the ANES study indicates the scores were worse for Republicans in 2012 than in 2016 for the Symbolic Racial survey. So while middle America became possibly more racist in 2016, Republicans became less so? A strange juxtaposition, and may indicate just how badly Democrats frame their pro-diversity message.

Nate Silver said education level was more important than income level. So it's possible that Trump was simply more charismatic to those with a lower education due to his "simple" way of talking (to put it nicely) vs Hillary's stiff egg-shell style. Just another factor I'm throwing out there.

In any case my point is not to say race and identity politics played no factor, it clearly did as it always does. But to say it was the biggest factor, especially in the rust belt swing states of the US that gave Trump the win, is a much much bigger lift.

Makai

The time-series iin the OP do not show that at all - country became slightly less authoritarian and had more empathetic views towards black. Higher income voters became more liberal.

kirblar

The time-series iin the OP do not show that at all - country became slightly less authoritarian and had more empathetic views towards black. Higher income voters became more liberal.
Because of the Democrats. The Dems moved left, the GOP stayed the same and absorbed racist voters who abandoned the Dems.

Additionally, the ANES study indicates the scores were worse for Republicans in 2012 than in 2016 for the Symbolic Racial survey. So while middle America became possibly more racist in 2016, Republicans became less so? A strange juxtaposition, and may indicate just how badly Democrats frame their pro-diversity message.

I think you're taking the wrong things away from this. They might have become slightly less racist vs 2012, but Democrats became significantly less so, which accounts for the large gap between the two groups of voters.

Makai

Because of the Democrats. The Dems moved left, the GOP stayed the same and absorbed racist voters who abandoned the Dems.
tuWARLl.jpg
The Republicans moved left according to this time series.

Mahonay

Banned
I've always been of the mind, even heading into the election, that if you vote Trump you are at least somewhat racist. Even if it's towards other people of your own ethnicity ("I'm one of the good ones" syndrome). There's absolutely no way to ignore the bold faced racism he presented as his platform.

The Republicans moved left according to this time series.

Eh, slightly so. None of the GOP scores are the lowest they've been, so they've basically become more/less racist, but haven't really changed attitudes over time while Dems are significantly lower than any other point in the observed history of those charts

pigeon

Banned
bernie is the democratic party's head of outreach. it's literally his job to try and get people who voted for trump or didn't vote on board.

you don't do that by berating them for attitudes they might have.

It's true. If there's one thing Bernie is known for, it's his staunch advocacy for pragmatic compromise and giving way on principles in order to focus on policy wins.

III-V

Not a single mention of sexism in their studies? Please. It was not just racism and 'nationalism' that motivated a lot of these folks.

Not

Banned
Not a single mention of sexism in their studies? Please. It was not just racism and 'nationalism' that motivated a lot of these folks.

I think sexism's biggest contribution was the decades-long targeting of Hillary Clinton by the "family values" (aka women's natural inferiority) people which bled into her general unelectability.

Xe4

Banned
I'm not entirely sure I agree with the WaPo here. I don't see anything in the data about racism being a large source of republican's voting for Trump.

The above graph, for instance, doesn't seem to support their argument, which is why I found it weird that they brought it up. What I seen in that graph is a slight decrease in racism indicators compared with 2012, putting it about on par with 2008. Nothing about that suggests there was any correlation between Trump's rhetoric causing people with even less favorable views of minorities than usual to vote.

What is quite striking, however is the huge drop off in between 2012 and 2016 in Democratic racism, which is very nice. Whether this has to do with changing viewpoints, Hillary's campaign, or the DNC's position is not known. I don't think we'll have an entirely clear idea until 2020 when we have more data.

I am going to go beyond the realm of this data for a bit, so it should be known that this is pure speculation on my part. What is possible is that more people who had similar views on race as the generic republican voted in this election. Indeed, the stark drop off of Clinton supporters negative views on race relations could be those in the higher percentile dropping off and going to Trump's campaign. This could be the cause of his victory without moving the average too much.

I honestly can't think of an excellent way to test this, since that is talking about raw numbers rather than percentages. Perhaps a survey of voters specifically who switched from D -> R in the past election, and their view on race relation. If we were to find a score above the Democratic average, I think that would confirm that Trump's racial rhetoric along with Hillary's more inclusive campaign, were a reason why Trump won.

In all honesty, if that is the case, I think that the democratic party can do without them. I don't need to agree with my average democratic voter on everything, bur respect for their fellow human is something I can not and will not compromise on. Racial relations are arguably the most important issue in America, and has been our entire history. The way we as a country view and treat minorities affects the country as a whole, from our support of social programs and better health care, to our willingness to go to war against people who we do not know and have never met. It is something that the democratic party needs to fight daily, and if that scares off people, so be it. I'm sure the DNC will find numbers elsewhere.

Edit: To be clear, I do think racism played a part in Trump's win. Indeed other studies found an increase in racism causing a shift to Trump. While I had a slight problem with a number of studies methodology, I do think the sheer volume of them seems to indicate racial views played a significant part of this election. I just do not think that this data is supportive of the argument.

Makai

Eh, slightly so. None of the GOP scores are the lowest they've been, so they've basically become more/less racist, but haven't really changed attitudes over time while Dems are significantly lower than any other point in the observed history of those charts
Then we cannot conclude that racism is responsible for Trump's victory from these data.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the WaPo here. I don't see anything in the data about racism being a large source of republican's voting for Trump.

The above graph, for instance, doesn't seem to support their argument

Then we cannot conclude that racism is responsible for Trump's victory from these data.

The above graph isn't suppose to support that argument. The graph shows the attitudes of those who voted Trump. Did you guys just not read the last paragraph?

Finally, the statistical tool of regression can tease apart which had more influence on the 2016 vote: authoritarianism or symbolic racism, after controlling for education, race, ideology, and age. Moving from the 50th to the 75th percentile in the authoritarian scale made someone about 3 percent more likely to vote for Trump. The same jump on the SRS scale made someone 20 percent more likely to vote for Trump.

Racial attitudes made a bigger difference in electing Trump than authoritarianism.

Arkage

Banned
I think you're taking the wrong things away from this. They might have become slightly less racist vs 2012, but Democrats became significantly less so, which accounts for the large gap between the two groups of voters.

I was referencing the study the other guy linked me that showed people who switched from Obama to Trump did so due to problems they have with "diversity." Though that study never explicitly defined their use of that word, or how the questions were framed. Assuming it's true though, it shows that some contingent of middle America viewed Trump's anti-diversity an appealing factor in contrast to Clinton's pro-diversity, despite that person voting for Obama previously.

Being actively anti-diversity after electing a black President to his second term isn't rational, unless messaging is getting severely screw up in between those time periods. And that's why a lot of liberals blame Hillary, or extremists on the left, for the Trump situation more than they blame "racist Trump voters."

I think sexism's biggest contribution was the decades-long targeting of Hillary Clinton by the "family values" (or women's natural inferiority) people which bled into her general unelectability.

Anecdotally, you even had some (mostly older) women themselves peddling this shit. ("we're too emotional".)

2016 came through with the utmost amount of fuckery.

Not

Banned
Being actively anti-diversity after electing a black President to his second term isn't rational, unless messaging is getting severely screw up in between those time periods. And that's why a lot of liberals blame Hillary, or extremists on the left, for the Trump situation more than they blame "racist Trump voters."

Why don't they blame themselves for not sucking it up and making sure Trump didn't become our President by showing up at the polls?

Arkage

Banned
That's why it's called "racism" and not "totally rational dislike of other races rooted in logical thought processes"

Because people's attitudes and beliefs don't change or evolve, and they were just as racist while voting for Obama as they were while voting for Trump? Are we really immutable robots with our beliefs set in stone by age 18? That certainly hasn't been the case for me.

A lot of slavemasters fucked their slaves

Comparing a powerless sex slave to the most powerful office in mankind is equatable... how?

Not

Banned
Because people's attitudes and beliefs don't change or evolve, and they were just as racist while voting for Obama as they were while voting for Trump? Are we really immutable robots with our beliefs set in stone by age 18? That certainly hasn't been the case for me.

It's closer to 25-30.

UFO

Banned
I can't make sense out of any of that data. But regardless, this seems like a case of correlation =/= causation.

I was referencing the study the other guy linked me that showed people who switched from Obama to Trump did so due to problems they have with "diversity." Though that study never explicitly defined their use of that word, or how the questions were framed. Assuming it's true though, it shows that some contingent of middle America viewed Trump's anti-diversity an appealing factor in relation to Clinton's pro-diversity, despite that person voting for Obama previously.

4-8 years is longer than you think. You need to take a look at what was happening post re-election, what could make certain folks choose a side, dig in their heels, or become resentful bastards. It's a lot of major shit. (and again, it's not SOLELY race related, but it's a huge component)

Since we're on a video game forum, how about exhibit A: JonTron. 2-time Obama voter. The why is easy to figure out.

III-V

Why don't they blame themselves for not sucking it up and making sure Trump didn't become our President by showing up at the polls?

This is an excellent point. You have to consider who showed up at the polls motivated by white nationalism and sexist views (on display by Trump and his staff no less) and those who didn't because of voter suppression, apathy or other reasons.

Slayven

I can't find it, but there was research shown that White America flipped hard on Obama over his Trayvon Martin comments, and he never really recovered them.

Makai

That's why he did a regression analysis
I'm not against the article - there's an ideological cleavage demonstrated by racial attitude questions. It's an enduring trend, but the implication in this thread is that 2016 was different from other elections. But that's really not what can be read from those graphs - the title might as well be "membership in the Republican party motivated Trump voters."

Dai101

Banned
Was this election fueled significantly by racism, yes.
But Democrats are pathetic losers.
Nanci Peloci can't even string together two coherent words of a plan to regain voters.

Probably if they advocated for racial cleansing, but there's already a party that pander to that.

I'm not against the article - there's an ideological cleavage demonstrated by racial attitude questions. It's an enduring trend, but the implication in this thread is that 2016 was different from other elections. But that's really not what can be read from those graphs - the title might as well be "membership in the Republican party motivated Trump voters."

Dude, just read the end of the damn article. You seem to be focused on a graph not stating what it never intended to.

2016 convinced me that there are two problems in America

White people who are racists

White people who ignore racists

I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.
- Martin Luther King (the real one, not the whitewashed one)

kirblar

I'd just like to see democrats focusing on the right issues in order to win the next election.
We do. The problem is that if you talk about the economy 10 times and racism one, that racist ass white voter thinks its as 10:10000 ratio, not a 10:1 ratio.

Hence why we write these voters off and focus on other gettable votes, because people aren't going to just stop talking about it even though you want them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom