• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

Dempsey: historic goal and hats off for playing despite that busted nose.

Bradley: that hell happened? More bad moments than good.

Johansson: has a lot to learn before he can be the "future" of US soccer.

Howard: great as always.

Let's hope all the injuries were not too bad.

FuturusX

Great win for the US....

62% possession 21 shots - only 3 on target for Ghana. They deserved to lose with that kind of wastefulness.

Will Portugal be as wasteful...USA needs to find a way keep the ball better or this ends sooner rather than later.

Only stat that matters is the score - So on that front job well done.

RELAYER

Banned
The student union at my university has a movie theater inside it, and they set up the game there on the big screen. They had a bunch of pizza and wings, it was cool. They passed out little American flags.

A bunch of people draped in American flags and bald eagle t-shirts and headbands and stuff showed up lol.

That whole theater was so tense the whole game, and then when the 2nd goal came, that place EXPLODED. My ears were ringing, and then everyone started chanting USA! USA! USA!

Awesome game.

But on the real, we did not look that good.

mzvaw.gif

Meier

BTW.. what about Ian Darke? Specifically mentioned "John Brooks coming up" and then POW! Right in the kisser!

Jurgen wearing his red jacket in the post game. So much for no red!

gutshot

What a roller coaster of a game. That first goal was so quick and so spectacular. I thought the US was going to roll. But then Ghana just kept pressing and pressing and pressing. Meanwhile, the US midfield couldn't link up for shit (what the hell happened to Bradley tonight?). Then Altidore goes down and I'm like "Fuck". Then Dempsey gets his nose broken and probably concussed, which effectively takes him out of the game. Then Besler pulls up lame. Howard was standing on his head back there, but I just knew Ghana were going to score eventually. And they did.

But then John Anthony motherfucking Brooks scores the biggest goal of his life. And all of a sudden the US steals 3 points from their nemesis after getting fairly thoroughly outplayed. You know what... I will take it and consider it retribution from the football gods after losing to Germany in the quarters when we outplayed them.

But seriously, the US needs to find out what went wrong in the midfield tonight and fix it quickly. I don't know if Altidore will be back, but we need a full-strength Dempsey back and we really need Michael Bradley to play like Michael Bradley. Jones and Beckerman played well tonight. JJ particularly was all over the pitch. We will need more of the same from them going forward.

Hopefully the team enjoys this win and then gets some much needed rest and recovery ahead of what will likely be a highly-motivated Portugese side.

I BELIEVE

Should have scored more goals but it looks like the plan was to drop back and defend? Not really sure.

Good game though. Well, because we won. But a little disconcerting that we weren't going forward as much. Felt like a Bob Bradley team out there.
Bradley should have probably 2 or more assists...

Mully

The victory was great for USA, but they didn't look great at all. The right side is suspect and could easily be taken advantage of by Germany and Portugal in upcoming games. Klinsmann needs to find a way to shore up the right side and prevent the the constant through balls Ghana had throughout the game.

USA had quality chances but let too many chances happen for an unskilled Ghana (compared to 2006 and 2010). They need to find chemistry in the midfield and organization in the back to make it out of the group stage.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The victory was great for USA, but they didn't look great at all. The right side is suspect and could easily be taken advantage of by Germany and Portugal in upcoming games. Klinsmann needs to find a way to shore up the right side and prevent the the constant through balls Ghana had throughout the game.

USA had quality chances but let too many chances happen for an unskilled Ghana (compared to 2006 and 2010). They need to find chemistry in the midfield and organization in the back to make it out of the group stage.

On the bright side, this was probably the worst we've played in a long while and we still walked out with 3 points. We can only get better from here.

RELAYER

Banned
untitled-3pzijd.gif

"Shit"

Moments after Jozy went down.

That's the face of a man who can now clearly see the ghost of Donovan looming before him.

Meier

Btw, how fucking awful was Aron tonight? I'll chalk it up to nerves, because that was not at all what we've seen from him in any performance before. He was awful and nearly cost us significantly with his giveaways. Have a feeling Wondo will be ahead of him next match.

Pre

Btw, how fucking awful was Aron tonight? I'll chalk it up to nerves, because that was not at all what we've seen from him in any performance before. He was awful and nearly cost us significantly with his giveaways. Have a feeling Wondo will be ahead of him next match.

Yes, he was uncharacteristically bad. He was invisible for the most of the game, and when he wasn't, it was because he was turning the ball over. I still think he's a legitimate option, but if Jozy isn't good to go Sunday I think you start Wondo.

gutshot

Nerves and having to play a role he's not suited for. I think you are right that Wondo will start up top against Portugal. I hope that Klinsi doesn't just expect Wondo to be Jozy up there though. Lacking a true center forward, we need to come up with a new plan of attack.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wondo and Dempsey up top with Bedoya and Zusi on the wings. Have those guys run wide and whip in crosses as our two best poachers crash the box. It may not be pretty, but it's the best we can do under the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom