• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Nope, nothing there either. Maybe Klinsmann doesn't want to say anything until he knows for sure what he's going to do next.

EDIT: If it is his hamstring, Jozy won't be back for Portugal. If it's grade 1 and it heals well maybe we can have him back for Germany.

I will be very surprised if Jozy makes it back at all. He was crying as they stretchered him off the field. He knows his World Cup is over.

We should get an update at the next Klinsi press conference, whenever that is.

NoRéN

Steven Geoff 10 mins ago:

"Besler also undergoing MRI scan at Sao Paulo hospital. Results later ... #usmnt"

It's nothing. It better be nothing.

I hope the US team is watching the Brazil Mexico game. 4th place CONCACAF team is playing like world cup favorites. This is how you weather a storm, USA.

Askani

Brian Straus about a min ago:

"Klinsmann says that Besler is "no problem" and is expected to be ready for Portugal."

Then Andrew Weibe:

"Klinsmann reiterates that Besler's hamstring is fine and won't be an issue. They are hopeful Alitdore's World Cup is not over. #USMNT"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Brian Straus about a min ago:

"Klinsmann says that Besler is "no problem" and is expected to be ready for Portugal."

Then Andrew Weibe:

"Klinsmann reiterates that Besler's hamstring is fine and won't be an issue. They are hopeful Alitdore's World Cup is not over. #USMNT"

From what Whal said Klinsmann is going to be watching Altidore for a few days to see how everything goes. It might not be as bad as we all think it is...

Glad to hear Besler is going to be ok, Brooks had a great goal but he's not ready to go for a full 90.

Askani

From what Whal said Klinsmann is going to be watching Altidore for a few days to see how everything goes. It might not be as bad as we all think it is...

I really hope so. It looked so bad though, I'm doubtful. And if he does comes back, I don't want to see a situation like Costa in the Champions League final where he tries to play and gets subbed after 9 minutes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really hope so. It looked so bad though, I'm doubtful. And if he does comes back, I don't want to see a situation like Costa in the Champions League final where he tries to play and gets subbed after 9 minutes.

Agreed. I think no matter what he misses Portugal, but I really really hope it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Mexico had one hell of a game, doing CONCACAF proud.

xbhaskarx

So Matt Doyle said Julian Green finished LAST in the beep test at Stanford...... how the hell does a teenage speedy winger finish last behind thirty year olds?!?

Meier

So Matt Doyle said Julian Green finished LAST in the beep test at Stanford...... how the hell does a teenage speedy winger finish last behind thirty year olds?!?
I don't think it's atypical for an 18 year old to not know how to pace himself as well as older players. In fact, if you watched the England-Italy game, they pointed out some of Italy's older players were doing fine while England's seemed to struggle with the conditions. You know your body better the older you get. Furthermore, that may have been the first time he'd ever done it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think it's atypical for an 18 year old to not know how to pace himself as well as older players. In fact, if you watched the England-Italy game, they pointed out some of Italy's older players were doing fine while England's seemed to struggle with the conditions. You know your body better the older you get. Furthermore, that may have been the first time he'd ever done it.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. The only reason I know about the beep test is they had us to it in High School.

xbhaskarx

I'm wondering which white old man mainstream sports columnist will be the first one to look into Brooks' background and question if he's really American enough to play for the US...

FuturusX

If Jozy plays again. Every single run he makes is going to be tremendously risky. You can easily make that kind of injury worse by coming back to soon. His club (if they actually cared about him) should be concerned about his decision making, he may come back from the WC in with a greater injury.

The player is always going to tell you that he can make it. But this should be a medical decision.

Unless...well.

kander_miyagi_medium1.jpg

Jeff Carlisle is thinking that Dempsey might get the call at forward with someone else (Johannsson, Wondo, or Mix) underneath him.

Also, tempofreesoccer with stats on the number of passes per possession through the Klinsmann era. US had all sorts of trouble last night.
For USMNT, conceding possession not ideal, but neither is it bad if results are indication.

WB08wEL.png

Akim

Banned
I won tickets off twitter for the Sounders open cup game tomorrow at Starfire. Never been to a match there, so I'm hyped.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Interesting point by Cox. Ghana is a team that relies on the counter-attack, so he ponders if the US being unable to hold any sort of possession actually worked in our favor. Michael Bradley played like shit on purpose, so that we would win! That's some next level shit right there.

That's some 12th dimensional chess right there. Wait, what if he also did it to lull Portugal into a false sense of security so he could crush them magnificently in Manaus?

xbhaskarx

World Cup ticket sales

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jefffic...t-buyers-of-world-cup-tickets-outside-brazil/

Fans from soccer-crazed Brazil, which last hosted the World Cup in 1950, purchased the most tickets, buying 1,363,179 seats or about 60% available for the matches in 12 cities across Latin America’s largest country, FIFA said.

But outside Brazil, the country’s proximity to other South American countries and the U.S. attracted huge interest from fans residing in the Western Hemisphere, the FIFA data show. The U.S. purchased the second-biggest number of tickets, claiming 196,838 seats.

Southern neighbor Argentina, among the largest and most-vocal contingents of fans in Brazil for the World Cup, came in a distant third at 61,021 tickets, FIFA said. German fans bought 58,778 tickets, while England fans rounded out the top five ticket buyers at 57,917 tickets.

Colombia fans snapped up 54,477 tickets through June 5, followed by Australia’s 52,289 tickets and the 38,638 tickets purchased by fans from Chile, FIFA said. Rounding out the top 10 were France at 34,865 tickets and Mexico at 33,694 tickets.

NoRéN

That's some 12th dimensional chess right there. Wait, what if he also did it to lull Portugal into a false sense of security so he could crush them magnificently in Manaus?
I doubt Portugal has been able to shake off the shock from the Germany game.

xbhaskarx

16 million Americans watch USA-Ghana match on TV, set record for ESPN

The tense opening Brazil 2014 match for the U.S. Men’s National Team against storied rival Ghana turned out to be a ratings boon for ESPN, drawing just more than 11 million viewers. That’s the most ESPN has ever had for a men’s soccer match, according to Nielsen.

What’s more, Spanish-language broadcaster Univision drew 4.8 million, bringing the total television audience to 15.9 million.

Through the opening 14 matches of the World Cup this year, ESPN averaged around 4.1 million viewers per match, an increase of 23 percent over the 2010 World Cup.

ESPN’s mobile app called WatchESPN averaged 643,000 viewers through the first 11 games of the tournament and set a record by drawing 1.4 million viewers for USA-Ghana. Univision’s online stream drew 1.7 million live streams.

The top ten rated markets for viewership on ESPN were Washington D.C.; New York City; Hartford-New Haven, Conn.; Boston; Columbus, Ohio; Baltimore, Md.; Providence, R.I.; Orlando, Fla.; San Francisco; and Norfolk, Va.

15.9 million television audience (11m ESPN, 4.8m Univision)
3.1 million streaming (1.4m ESPN, 1.7m Univision)
That's 19 million total...

xbhaskarx

Ronaldo's out???

FIFA: Ronaldo returns for open training

Cristiano Ronaldo received a rock star's welcome as he returned to training on Wednesday, with Portugal seeking to regroup after their mauling from Germany in their FIFA World Cup™ opener.

The Real Madrid star had a light workout for about 45 minutes before having ice applied to his troublesome left knee: a precaution the medical staff have also taken in previous days. As he left the pitch he signed a child's football boot that was thrown towards him and hurled it back into the crowd before resting in a dugout at the side of the pitch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ronaldo's out???

I found an NBC article on it. Apparently the doctor told him not to play, that he needs two months off or he risks tearing the tendon in his knee beyond repair. Here's the article.

Portuguese doctor tells Cristiano Ronaldo playing with knee injury could be career-threatening

Cristiano Ronaldo‘s doctor is reportedly pleading with his patient not to play in the World Cup.

For the players, the injury must be serious to keep them from playing in the world’s biggest event. But according to the doctor, it is.

With MRI’s showing serious pressure on the patellar tendon in his left knee, experienced Portuguese surgeon Jose Carlos Noronha has warned Ronaldo that playing on it could risk tearing the tendon beyond repair.

Dr. Noronha, known for performing top-level ACL repairs and other knee operations for soccer players, believes Ronaldo needs two months off from the game immediately if he wishes to fully repair the injury to his knee.

According to quotes in El Confidential, the doctor told Ronaldo, “let your knee rest, or your future is in danger” to which Ronaldo replied, “I’m the one that says whether I’m playing or not.”

Ronaldo left training early yesterday with his injured knee wrapped in ice, just as he did in the build-up to Portugal’s 4-0 defeat to Germany, in which Ronaldo looked less than healthy.

It remains to be seen whether he’ll start against the United States. If Portugal loses that match, they are eliminated from knockout-round contention.

It looks like he still wants to play though.

RELAYER

Banned
According to quotes in El Confidential, the doctor told Ronaldo, “let your knee rest, or your future is in danger” to which Ronaldo replied, “I’m the one that says whether I’m playing or not.”

Lol.
What a total meathead.

xbhaskarx

It must be hard to stay in touch with reality when you're that good, maybe he thinks this is all just a dramatic Nike commercial...

Judderman

drawer by drawer
TidyRepentantKestrel.gif

Tim Cahill with one of the best goals of the tournament. Shame he will be out for the game against Spain.
More rest before his return to the Red Bulls. Muahahaha.

Askani

Lol.
What a total meathead.

It must be hard to stay in touch with reality when you're that good, maybe he thinks this is all just a dramatic Nike commercial...

In theory, it could be his last World Cup. He'll be 33 during the next one. If his fitness slips or he gets hurt, he might not have another chance. He's already got more money than God, so I don't know if I blame him too much for wanting to try and gut it out.

Also, that Cahill golazo was truly something special. Hot damn.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lol.
What a total meathead.

It's more pride than anything else. He's got enough money to live forever in total comfort, this is about proving he's the best. It's about having no regrets. Honestly, I know that I would do the exact same thing he's doing right now. I totally get it.

All that said, I'd rather he didn't play so we'd have an easier time advancing.

TidyRepentantKestrel.gif

Tim Cahill with one of the best goals of the tournament. Shame he will be out for the game against Spain.
More rest before his return to the Red Bulls. Muahahaha.

That's a fucking goal.

If Portugal loses Sunday and Germany gets at least another point in the group stage, they are eliminated.

It's pretty much do or die for them, there is no way Ronaldo's not playing.

Honestly though, as a fan of the US, I think I'd rather see a half-fit Ronnie out there. He's not been particularly effective in his last two meaningful matches (the Champions' League final and the match on Monday against Germany)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom